Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

WhatEvil posted:

Lol no it won't, it'll be the fault of immigrants and there'll probably be a new war somewhere as a distraction.

Gort posted:

No, it will be a time to make tough choices on how much to accelerate the deaths of the poor

Which of these wins out is signficiantly affected by who's in power, and it's not looking like the tories are going to be in power much longer either way.

Crises are necessary parts of left wing progression, they are when we can make gains.

Plus it's not like we've got a labour party leader with Views about the last financial collapse.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jose posted:

I missed this if anyone posted it but it's a very good behind the scenes of people's vote

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1109124300748017665?s=19

https://twitter.com/wariotifo/status/1058834041095503873

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

kustomkarkommando posted:

The deal in question is the withdrawal agreement I'm pretty sure, which has very little to say about the future relationship with the EU bar "we will agree that later" - it's not designed to slowly lower the UK towards a free trade agreement but to set the terms of the transitional period to allow those negotiations (you could make a point such a transition period would not have been necessary if we had speedily concluded a withdrawal agreement and progressed to future relationship talks before the article 50 window closed but that's pretty moot now) and what will happen if the EU and UK can not agree a future relationship.

I'd say the future relationship is still to play for and the house instructing May to abandon her FTA desires for single market + customs union could happen but as the EU has repeatedly said they want a legally binding mechanism agreed as to what happens if an agreement that satisfies the house can not be reached - changing the future relationship position is to convince those in the house to accept the backstop and the transition period.

If the house rejects the backstop with a different series of future relationship objectives then your gonna have to go back to the EU and say "okay we want a different future relationship agreed before our terms of exit are agreed" which is something that the EC have adamantly opposed as per their sequencing since day one - your hoping on the EU throwing their hands up and going "loving fine then" when I'm not sure that's their current mood.

Eh, I feel like if the future relationship were completely separate we wouldn't have so much opposition to May's "deal" - the WA doesn't just set out neutral terms for separating from the EU with a transition period for whatever future relationship is agreed, it at least defines a shape for that relationship and sets everyone on a course to wind things down, start implementing new procedures, setting up new agencies etc. The backstop is the most explicit part of that shape, but other stuff fits with the terms outlined in the future relationship's political declaration

It's just hard for me to see how that "deal" is really compatible with single-market access (and everything that entails) except as a template to rip the substance out of. I guess what you're saying is it would be a completely different thing everyone was voting on, but we'd be keeping the bit that says "here's the fallback for NI and also there's a transition period if we need it" which would always be there in some form no matter what they were voting on? And that bit is what they're calling "May's deal"

Like if we were going for customs union + single market, would we even need a backstop? That's... pretty much what customs union + single market is, and the EU only seems to have had a problem with the "UK-wide backstop" idea because May was trying to cherry pick access and make it time-limited. If we want full access and commitment, without a time limit... then we'd be fine with that as a backstop, and if that backstop is what we want anyway...

not sure there'd be a lot left of the current WA and future relationship documents if we did that, is what I mean

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

baka kaba posted:

Like if we were going for customs union + single market, would we even need a backstop?

Well yeah the backstop is about avoiding a hard border in Ireland and if there's a customs union then there's no need for one is there?

Free movement is the other thing I guess but then there was always gonna have to be free movement between I+NI otherwise that violates the GFA doesn't it?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I'm not sure at this stage the EU will be happy with an agreement where the UK stays in a customs union without a conditional agreement on what would happen if the UK unilaterial decides to leave such a union considering our track record and parliament's changing fancy...

Domestic legislation might not be able o bind a parliament but an international agreement in principle can.

The mumbles out of the EC was that if the UK was interested in changing tack to a customs union then they would be willing to backtrack to an NI specific backstop, which was always their original preferred offer

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

This is literally the Kyle/Wilson amendment. What is your problem?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tom Watson is the problem.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

kustomkarkommando posted:

I'm not sure at this stage the EU will be happy with an agreement where the UK stays in a customs union without a conditional agreement on what would happen if the UK unilaterial decides to leave such a union considering our track record and parliament's changing fancy...

Domestic legislation might not be able o bind a parliament but an international agreement in principle can.

The mumbles out of the EC was that if the UK was interested in changing tack to a customs union then they would be willing to backtrack to an NI specific backstop, which was always their original preferred offer

A few miles down the road when May isn't relying on the DUP, no one will give a poo poo about the Irish border problem and will happily accept a border at sea between NI and the rest of the UK.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Tom Watson is the problem.

I thought you didnt believe in celebrities?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't he's just a knob.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

V. Illych L. posted:

frankly, this situation has been a long way coming

parliament can be conceptualised as a long game of iterated prisoner's dilemma, where the tories in recent years have made a strategy out of deficiting to force their will through as the opposition might otherwise have to be taken into account. at a certain point, however, the opposition wisened up to this strategy and started deficiting right back, which is simply not sustainable and for which the government seems to have had no plan

i'm guessing that may was expecting the opposition to be branded as irresponsible, but everyone's now cynical enough to see what she's doing and her deficit strategy is just fundamentally not working, but she can't conceive of any other way to operate because she is genuinely mentally disturbed or something

Hmm, do you mean "defecting"? Regardless I don't quite follow, can you elaborate

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Defecating.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

So what is the issue with Tom Watson on general?

I have not followed his escapades, but I thought he used to be fairly well regarded.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

NotJustANumber99 posted:

A few miles down the road when May isn't relying on the DUP, no one will give a poo poo about the Irish border problem and will happily accept a border at sea between NI and the rest of the UK.

No one? Not even you? While you're eating whatever America decides to sell us and whatever we get via Lichtenstein? You don't mind that part of the UK still gets access to the single market but for some reason you don't?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

happyhippy posted:

Uri is so sue happy these days himself if you mention it.

I have a fantastic story about that but because of that there's no loving way I'm ever telling it on the public internet, so someone remind me once Geller dies (or if I ever bother turning up for a goonmeet).

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Right but I mean if our new approach was to aim for the softest brexit possible (which would include free movement anyway), and the EU didn't reject that outright, there wouldn't be a lot to discuss. In that case our preferred backstop would basically be the deal we want anyway

If it comes down to a sticking point about the UK being able to unilaterally nope out in the future and what happens to NI in that situation... Well that's where we are right now in our current status as an EU member. Doesn't seem too weird to BRINO and replicate Article 50 in our agreement with the EU. Doesn't solve the issue for the future but it doesn't change anything right now either

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Labour at the time also said it was unacceptable

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I have a fantastic story about that but because of that there's no loving way I'm ever telling it on the public internet, so someone remind me once Geller dies (or if I ever bother turning up for a goonmeet).

I'm going to go to the Isle of Dogs and flag down every motorcyclist who looks like they know way too much about telecommunications infrastructure

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I think a Deal(of some kind) vs remain referedum is the best way to put the issue to rest, since it forces people to see defended the EU vs whatever is negotiated, and for a general realization that [X] deal is worse than remaining.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

fatelvis posted:

I have not followed his escapades, but I thought he used to be fairly well regarded.

He opposes Corbyn and there's talks of him trying to work with others to form a new centrist party. IMO pick a good time and throw your career in the bin with the other new centrist parties.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
https://twitter.com/tom_watson/status/134359094411796480

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

fatelvis posted:

He's a backstabbing piece of poo poo who's spent far more time trying to undermine Corbyn than doing anything of value.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

fatelvis posted:

Watson is a Blairite who delved into the shadows to make sure Blair stood down as PM.
He is the person who dragged the Murdoch liches into the light Select Committee hearings to show everyone how foul they are, but also leaks anything Corbyn-related to the press the moment he can spin it negatively.
He won an internal election for a post most people considered a side-show (if they considered it at all) by the time it concluded who had an acceptance speech longer than the person who won election as Leader.

TLDR: Tom Watson considers himself the moral arbiter of Labour and also appears to consider Labour members to be the ones spoiling his personal grand strategy game

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

May is Wheatley in this analogy, right?

"I! AM NOT! A MORON!"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sulphagnist posted:

I've been thinking about No Deal Brexit and the narrative of what a horrible thing it will be.

What concerns me is that I don't think No Deal will be this spectacular disaster. Rather it's going to look like austerity: the poor, the weak and the disadvantaged slowly dying off at an accelerated but preventable rate, obfuscating direct responsibility. Which means that the political and media narrative will be "oh, it wasn't such a big problem after all", especially after hyping up what a mess it will be; it will be a disaster, but a slow and quiet one, like climate change.

This is the point I've been making, although maybe without enough force, for a while now. They will ensure that medication for the most media-friendly diseases gets through, along with enough food that nobody *with disposable income* is in trouble, and exactly like the 150k excess deaths they've already caused, it will be written off as lefty whinging about the Tough Decisions and Noble Sacrifices they had to make. Waitrose were out of extra-virgin olive oil but we made do with some old virgin oil they had at M&S, bootstraps bootstraps why don't the poor cook more?

Within 5 years folk memory and the sheer crushing force of soft propaganda will have painted it as our new Finest Hour, and the fact that every structure larger than a molehill is now owned by a web of brass-plate companies and your rent is 99% of your income from your 120-hour job stirring battery acid with your bare hands will be lauded as proof that Global Britain is Open For Business!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I have no interest in this anyway.

If you have any purely fictional stories about Rory Mellor, the fork bender with the famously small penis otoh, I'd love to hear them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What kind of reprobate plays portal 2 on the xbox?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Party Boat posted:

I'm going to go to the Isle of Dogs and flag down every motorcyclist who looks like they know way too much about telecommunications infrastructure

Jokes on you, that's most of them.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

jaete posted:

Hmm, do you mean "defecting"? Regardless I don't quite follow, can you elaborate

nah it's jargon, sorry

in prisoner's dilemma, you have a situation analogous to two guys having collaborated in a crime or w/e

they've been caught by the police, and are each offered to rat the other out. however, if both keep mum the police haven't actually got much on them, so the basic situation is something like:

we both shut up: 1 year each
i rat you out, you keep mum:3 years for you, i go free
you rat me out, say nothing: 3 years for me, you're free
we both rat each other out: 2 years for both of us

in this situation, no matter what i do, it's better for you to talk. it's the same for me. so, the theory goes, a self-interested actor will always talk - even though this apparently rational behaviour leads to a worse outcome for everyone involved (you and me, obviously, the prosecution's happy but they don't count). deficiting means breaking the compact, basically loving over the other player and taking the gain
wffectively the way this usually works in reality is that we play this basic game over and over and over and establish trust that we won't play silly buggers. this is what leads to e.g. good-faith conversations. if people systematically avoid deficiting, everyone's better off, so we try to coordinate our society to that end (except that we fundamentally don't, anymore - another huge problem of late-stage capitalism is the systematic erosion of this sort of structure to our relations in the name of short-term profit and the sacrifice of long-term relationships in favour of efficient allocation of labour). a huge amount of contemporary microeconomic and behavioural theory is based on this sort of interaction game

when someone starts rocking the boat, though, you will eventually want to respond. may has been rocking the boat a lot, and one can argue that cameron did the same thing in calling the bloody referendum in the first place. basically, may has taken every shred of goodwill offered to her and subverted it to her own purposes without ever giving any back, and this has been done in a very obvious manner. when she then tries to blame other people for not showing good-will, even the notoriously Wrong british public realises that this is entirely unreasonable

reverting this was pretty much corbyn's "kinder politics" initiative, but the other lot were more interested in the short-term victories (and making him look stupid and naïve) than improving the long-term outcome of the game

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Oh man the Times sure did a cartoon today.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

What kind of reprobate plays portal 2 on the xbox?

I played it on PS3. Half Life 2 as well. No regrets.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Jokes on you, that's most of them.

I'll also have Bradley from S Club as a lure

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

kingturnip posted:

Watson is a Blairite who delved into the shadows to make sure Blair stood down as PM.
He is the person who dragged the Murdoch liches into the light Select Committee hearings to show everyone how foul they are, but also leaks anything Corbyn-related to the press the moment he can spin it negatively.
He won an internal election for a post most people considered a side-show (if they considered it at all) by the time it concluded who had an acceptance speech longer than the person who won election as Leader.

TLDR: Tom Watson considers himself the moral arbiter of Labour and also appears to consider Labour members to be the ones spoiling his personal grand strategy game

brownite; it's a non-trivial distinction

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Necrothatcher posted:

I played it on PS3. Half Life 2 as well. No regrets.

i played half life 2 on the original xbox

Was still a great game

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Party Boat posted:

I'll also have Bradley from S Club as a lure

He'd never betray me.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I never knew the S Club Party was a political party.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Okay I've just had the most galaxy-brained idea of my entire life. What if second referendum *and* general election at the same time? Take Brexit out of the GE equation altogether.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
That'd be one hell of a shared ballot initiative.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Failed Imagineer posted:

Post-hardcore. Bands using some of the dynamics/timbre/aesthetics of hardcore without necessarily adhering to the song structure or common lyrical themes

Fugazi have been around for a long time now

What I love about post-hardcore is it allows me to admit to listening to emo while insisting I'm not, I'm just listening to post-hardcore, clearly that's different. (Though obviously this doesn't work with My Chemical Romance & Fall Out Boy & Dashboard Confessional & all that side of emo, much more so the stuff like Embrace & Jawbreaker & Braid & Sunny Day Real Estate & Heroin etc)

V. Illych L. posted:

brownite; it's a non-trivial distinction

I mean it kind of is at this point. It's 9 years since either of them was leader of the party and they've both basically hosed off to irrelevance as far as the modern Labour Party goes. Besides, the Blair/Brown split was always far more personal ego than it was ideological.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I vote UKIP and remain.