Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It is remarkable how solidly in the last 20 minutes my mood as swung to being hopeful that Mueller will find all the crimes to nothing mattersing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice
What is the absolute earliest we will get any info on its contents? When Barr briefs Congress?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Stage 3: Bargaining

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I've never quite understood the "No, Mueller is a Republican so he's bad" mentality, but I guess it'll be tested now.

This thread has never been a particularly great barometer for how to feel about big stories dropping, because the conclusion is usually "nothing matters" if Dipshit isn't led out of the Oval Office in cuffs. But I'm not sure I'm ready to handle this. I'm glad that I'm going out with friends tonight; I'm too tense about whatever happens next (if anything).

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Mukaikubo posted:

lol that was five months ago

Sealed indictments sitting for months is not unusual.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Shammypants posted:

Well Mueller is a good man but he’s also a republican so I expected nothing all along.

You think all the families of all the developmentally disabled young men that Mueller's FBI entrapped into fake terrorist plots think he's a "good man?"

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Dreissi posted:

What is the absolute earliest we will get any info on its contents? When Barr briefs Congress?

How good or bad is it for trump?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

sean10mm posted:

We're both mad the investigation took so long, and mad it's coming to an end lmao

It was remarkably quick actually.

Also if people are looking for reasons to impeach trump he already refused the Houses document request.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah it's loving bonkers how much of our poo poo is based on t he honor system.

i mean it did take too long but it's natural to be angry this poo poo isn't public immediately.

our entire fuckin society was based on slave owners making handshake deals with other slave owners and now the big wet boy has come in and showed us all how easy that is to just ramjam by saying 'actually no, gently caress you'

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

sexpig by night posted:

Wiegel rightly pointed out on Twitter that this report is much more 'dangerous' for Ds than it is for Rs. The Rs are all gonna be in lockstep defense mode but now all these wimps who were all 'wait till the report' now have to take a side.

Yeah, this is a good point. It's gonna be interesting to see the reactions. I just find it very unlikely that, with the leading Democrats already having misgivings about going for Trump's throat, that Mueller would have written a report that would get them off their asses (even if it were to be published/leaked).

My position is that Russia's role in all this is overblown and that the real meat is in the financial crimes Trump has committed and continues to commit, but the Democratic calculus is focused on winning the next election. That's all fine and dandy, but it basically signals that if you're a criminal President you get away with it if it's politically convenient to let you get away with it. See also the war crime riddled two terms of Bush Jr. and the non-existent reckoning.

Jaxyon posted:

It was remarkably quick actually.

Also if people are looking for reasons to impeach trump he already refused the Houses document request.

Right, and the fact that it wrapped up so fast is I think a reason to be a little sober. Usually these things take forever.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Jaxyon posted:

Sorry dude, the most mature person will be the one explaining how it's a foregone conclusion that Trump wins, 2020, and then suspends term limits and goes for 2024, 2028, and establishes a dynasty.

I like both the low amount and the time limit.

The low amount is all I can afford right now, fuckwit, and the time limit is the next time I can be sure I can afford the donation. Feel free to go gently caress yourself sideways, Mr Rockefeller.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

sexpig by night posted:

yea most of us ITT would be loving psyched if the report actually made a strong case for PRESIDENT CRIMES that could be acted on but why on earth would we assume that when all the visible signs show this as business as usual for the wealthy and powerful?

What are the signs that this is going to be business as usual? That there haven't been any extra indictments?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

we know trump obstructed. he admitted to it on television. i think the worry is mueller will - for whatever reason - deem that not to be obstruction.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If you need anything else to impeach Trump then they are just waiting for him to publicly murder someone. He’s ridiculously stupidly corrupt and everyone knows.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Dreissi posted:

Next week likely. Barr will likely do a briefing over the weekend to the gang of 8.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I've never quite understood the "No, Mueller is a Republican so he's bad" mentality, but I guess it'll be tested now.

This thread has never been a particularly great barometer for how to feel about big stories dropping, because the conclusion is usually "nothing matters" if Dipshit isn't led out of the Oval Office in cuffs. But I'm not sure I'm ready to handle this. I'm glad that I'm going out with friends tonight; I'm too tense about whatever happens next (if anything).

The perp walk was absolutely never happening. The highest we could have hoped for was a damning report that dropped near one of the elections. That's obviously not what is happening now.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Everything in the report is poo poo we already know. Its presence in the report just means those in power accept it as reality. The law was never going to solve this problem.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Dreissi posted:

They're saying we could have "principal conclusions" by as early as the end of the weekend.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

sean10mm posted:

We're both mad the investigation took so long, and mad it's coming to an end lmao

Yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic right now. It's too soon to jump to nothing matters, and if nothing else dems have the House and 2020 is going to be a great fight. Best case poo poo is far, far worse than we thought and Trump suffers an incredible, embarassing impeachment. Moderate case Senate repubs defend him from impeachment but the report eventually comes out to the public and weak senators get destroyed in 2020 elections. Worst case it's two more years of idiot Trump with very little power to do any more damage.

Or fun case: The report is horrifying and the Pentagon stages a legit coup to remove him from power. Wouldn't that be something... M1 tanks circling the Whitehouse.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

The good news is even if nothing happens, Trump won't have the "witch hunt" to complain about anymore, and he'll still be fairly powerless due to the D House.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
C'mon folks. Please don't eat each other.

Violator
May 15, 2003

So no interview with Trump? He submitted written answers?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

What did we do to Muslims in this country in the aftermath of 9/11?

Well, we locked some up with no due process, we ran illegal searches of mosques (including FBI agents sneaking into them at night to prowl around with geiger counters) and then started a multi-year effort to entrap mentally ill muslim men on fake terrorism charges. And all that is just a sampling.

Now who was head of the FBI during that time, the agency tasked with implementing that bigoted crackdown within our borders?

There you go, now you understand.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's pretty dumb this poo poo doesn't go straight to congress.

The reason they don't do this is it's DOJ policy to ensure maximum privacy for investigated persons, particularly when they are not being charged with a crime. I'm sure in the course of the investigation much was uncovered that is embarrassing for concerned parties but not necessarily illegal. This is standard judicial practice, and it's good policy.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
How is it possible that this isn't almost immediately leaked?

Bondii
May 31, 2003
King of The Cider Farm
The real worth of the Mueller report was the time we spent together and the memories we made waiting for it. :)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Release the piss tape, Barr.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

sexpig by night posted:

yea most of us ITT would be loving psyched if the report actually made a strong case for PRESIDENT CRIMES that could be acted on but why on earth would we assume that when all the visible signs show this as business as usual for the wealthy and powerful?

So like trump was right every time he said fake news witch hunt no collusion?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hobbez posted:

The reason they don't do this is it's DOJ policy to ensure maximum privacy for investigated persons, particularly when they are not being charged with a crime. I'm sure in the course of the investigation much was uncovered that is embarrassing for concerned parties but not necessarily illegal. This is standard judicial practice, and it's good policy.

i understand why it's done in general but this is the president.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Invalid Validation posted:

If you need anything else to impeach Trump then they are just waiting for him to publicly murder someone. He’s ridiculously stupidly corrupt and everyone knows.

Exactly. He's taking foreign money in return for influence, he's running a business empire from the White House (there's official White House branded Trump merchandise), he has placed family members in positions of power and influence and he has given them access to confidential information in breach of protocol. There are heaps of things that Democrats could have put into articles of impeachment as soon as they took over the House - "high crimes and misdemeanors" is a political question, not a legal one.

The eternal Democrat problem is that instead of going out there and leading public opinion, they let public opinion lead them.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

If something bad is found re: Trump, the House HAS to impeach. Then let the Senate Repubicans go on record and tell the American people that they believe the President is above the law.

What would qualify as "bad"? There are varying degrees of bad.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

AhhYes posted:

How is it possible that this isn't almost immediately leaked?

the only people who have read it are toadies and career civil servants. It's not widely spread enough yet to reach the opportunistic grifters or people ideologically wanting to leak it

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Spun Dog posted:

C'mon folks. Please don't eat each other.

Speak for yourself, that's the primary reason I read this thread at all.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

well if I can help I'd be glad to.

Mueller was a major architect of the WMD lie and much of our domestic 'war on terror' policies. He made his carer literally entrapping mentally impared teens, that's not a joke or whatever he literally approved stings on loving autistic kids and poo poo just to get easy "TERROR ATTACK STOPPED" headlines. His entire adult life has been nothing but profiting off the most evil and corrupt nature of the government, and his main issue with Trump is he's vulgar. I don't trust him because I don't view him as an ethical man, his R letter is just bonus.

Seph posted:

What are the signs that this is going to be business as usual? That there haven't been any extra indictments?

no extra indictments, the white house seems actually pretty calm about this, there was apparently zero AG pushback to anything Mueller did, and Barr gets to censor what he pleases in it.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

i understand why it's done in general but this is the president.

Everyone has rights. The judicial branch of the government should not be in the business of throwing shade when no laws have been broken.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
How long until the House subpoenas Mueller as a witness for impeachment hearings?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I expect a tweet slightly after midnight "PROVEN INNOCENT!!!!"

Trump will not have actually seen the report or even been briefed on it

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Sulphagnist posted:

My position is that Russia's role in all this is overblown and that the real meat is in the financial crimes Trump has committed and continues to commit, but the Democratic calculus is focused on winning the next election. That's all fine and dandy, but it basically signals that if you're a criminal President you get away with it if it's politically convenient to let you get away with it. See also the war crime riddled two terms of Bush Jr. and the non-existent reckoning.

I agree with this take. Impeaching is the morally correct thing to do, but unless there's a video recording of Trump taking money from Putin, I doubt it will make sense politically to impeach. Most likely the report uncovered a shitload of technical/financial crimes but those are easily written off as manufactured/witch hunt by Republicans.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

hobbez posted:

What would qualify as "bad"? There are varying degrees of bad.

Crimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Speak for yourself, that's the primary reason I read this thread at all.

See what I mean thread?

Who wants to be like this jerk?