Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
So you're telling me that the year of Linux on the desktop is the year where desktops die?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Google has a tendency to just up and make projects disappear, often with a quiet press release about “more wood behind fewer arrows” or whatever. They essentially can’t be trusted (yet) to manage a console any better than the bungled Nexus Player.

Where this service might work and make money enough to support itself is not to sell it to gamers as a console alternative, but to publishers as a way to improve games that need to target low-spec systems. So you want to play [free to play game]? Well what if we told you that you can play it on a PC, PlayStation, or even an iPad and the quality settings remain the same?

Once bandwidth is sorted out so that consistent quality is not poo poo quality, then we’ll see.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Time 4 Chromebook gaming

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I don't expect streaming services to displace first person shooters anytime soon. Our any other game requiring twitch. Both for latency reasons and the general state of the infrastructure (and cost/affordability). Google's living in a RDF in regards to many things, and their idea of said infrastructure falls within that.

eames
May 9, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Google has a tendency to just up and make projects disappear, often with a quiet press release about “more wood behind fewer arrows” or whatever.

To be honest that's the best case scenario.
Google investing big in AMD optimized Linux/Vulkan engines and titles and shuttering the service 2-3 years later would have a lasting effect on the whole industry.

Unfortunately if the "GaaS" model catches on (and I'm almost certain it will when 5G becomes standard — perfect DRM, perfect metrics, unblockable ads and the subscription model are too good for AAA companies to pass up) then that's pretty bad news for general high performance computing as we know it.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't expect streaming services to displace first person shooters anytime soon. Our any other game requiring twitch. Both for latency reasons and the general state of the infrastructure (and cost/affordability).

They said the same thing about controllers on consoles. If latency becomes an issue they'll simply redesign games around it.

Anyway, good news for AMD.

eames fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Mar 20, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Combat Pretzel posted:

I just read that it's entirely Linux based and it reads like they want game developers to make Linux builds of their games (or I guess something that'll work fine in Wine/DXVK), maybe something good will come from it. That is if EA, Ubisoft et al even care.

The Playstation 4 is FreeBSD based, so those versions already exist. Don't expect this to be a boon for Linux ports.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
A Vulkan push will be good for everyone.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Lambert posted:

The Playstation 4 is FreeBSD based, so those versions already exist. Don't expect this to be a boon for Linux ports.

They will most likely be using Linux display drivers on FreeBDS, so perhaps...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=FreeBSD-12.0-Beta-4

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Klyith posted:

I don't see the next-gen consoles having higher specs than that thing. Even with google launching a year ahead of them, all that poo poo isn't gonna fit in a $400 box.

The Xbox One X successor is rumored to have similar specs. That's still in the extreme rumor phase, and it's possible that someone heard about this project and assumed it was for Microsoft. This is at least a year out, I can see mass production on these specs being sold for $500 on a platform that is intended to be a loss-leader or at least break even on the hardware.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
nexgen consoles should be at least on vega56 level i'd think? they're probably more than a year away still right?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

It doesn't really matter what is running Google's streaming service, the compression is so bad it looks worse than low settings even during their demo. I'm not someone that cares too much about how my game looks and it looked perfectly playable. They could get away with much lower hardware and it would look the same. Google isn't competing with consoles and because the consumer doesn't need to buy new hardware Google can just upgrade it every year if they want.

More likely Google would just add the new hardware and use it for newer titles and run games on the oldest hardware that the game supports and is free at the time the copy of the game is launched. Maybe have an upper bound too so you don't end up with an edge case of solitaire running on the best configuration.

Most likely Google will just never buy new hardware because it wont get the customer numbers they want but they wont get that until they prove the service offers something unique. Then the project will die with maybe a dozen titles in the library.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
The state of US last mile Internet access will consign Google's new plaything to their growing collection of "released and soon forgotten" consumer projects.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Truga posted:

nexgen consoles should be at least on vega56 level i'd think? they're probably more than a year away still right?
Next-gen consoles should be holidays of 2020. Weird rumors about the next Xbox; supposedly a low-powered streaming box this year around E3 and a powerful next-gen box next year.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
My killer app: Google Reader on Stadia.

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Next-gen consoles should be holidays of 2020. Weird rumors about the next Xbox; supposedly a low-powered streaming box this year around E3 and a powerful next-gen box next year.

This year's box is a discless Xbox, not a streaming console, according to current rumors. And next year's will have two versions, a low-end as well as a high-end model.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Palladium posted:

The state of US last mile Internet access will consign Google's new plaything to their growing collection of "released and soon forgotten" consumer projects.

It's nothing to do with America, streaming game services have had for the past almost 20 years the problem that the games you'd most want on them, games that do a lot of fancy graphics your local client can't handle, are also the games that are most sensitive and affected by inevitable latency, jitter, etc.

And the games that adapt best tend to be relatively slow paced games that don't have major issues running locally in the first place, leaving services with the problem of only being able to offer value via "you pay a subscription and can play all of our games" which isn't all that appealing. Hence why companies like OnLive and Gaikai etc end up collapsed or bought out for much more limited uses of their technology.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

eames posted:

They said the same thing about controllers on consoles. If latency becomes an issue they'll simply redesign games around it.
I'd like to see how one would design around latency in FPS shooters, car games and even platformers, which I presume are all popular genres.

FPS shooters are already annoying as gently caress, since no one does client side prediction anymore, for sort of semi-legit reasons though. Having to lead your shots further regardless of what's going on screen to compensate for lag already, now imagine another layer of delay. With car games, even with the arcadey poo poo a la GTA, it will become noticeable. Just Cause 2 used pre-rendered frames on NVidia to its fullest, which introduces like 3 frames of delay (unless you disabled that default setting back then). At 60hz, that's just like 50ms, but it made the cars drive like crap, because you kept overcorrecting. And with platformers, depending on the difficulty, some accurate control is necessary, otherwise you deal with the same poo poo as I mention about Just Cause.

That leaves slow games, e.g. pure RPGs and MMOs.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Combat Pretzel posted:

I just read that it's entirely Linux based and it reads like they want game developers to make Linux builds of their games (or I guess something that'll work fine in Wine/DXVK), maybe something good will come from it. That is if EA, Ubisoft et al even care.
Steam has been trying for this, too. If I don't have to use windows for games anymore that means I am free to migrate to linux full-time.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 20, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Khorne posted:

Steam has been trying for this, too. If I don't have to use windows for games anymore that means I am free to migrate to linux full-time. Except at work where I use OSX.
Their efforts with Proton and DXVK seem promising. They managed to make a bunch of relatively new games running quite good from what I read. Could probably be even more games, if it weren't for DRM loving with everything.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Truga posted:

vega56 with gddr memory would be possible and not terribad.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

This makes that sound inherently anti-consumer, but given that everything is becoming more mobile and more battery-based, closing the performance gap on lightweight hardware is something the general market (not the GPU thread but normal players with budgets that tap out on x60 cards or who buy slot power cards) will likely applaud.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

My laptop has started acting up, so I decided to use that as an excuse to build a wee baby shell/web/dev box.

I picked up one of ASRock's new AM4 socketed, STX mobo, external PSU barebones boxes and put an Athlon 200GE in there, along with 8GB of DDR4/2400 RAM and a 500GB NVMe M.2 drive. $357.71 total at newegg.

It's cute, and worked as expected after I updated its BIOS -- the Arch linux installer would halt with some weird "TO BE IMPLEMENTED BY MOTHERBOARD/BIOS PROVIDER" errors before updating. The wifi module is Intel, so it worked flawlessly with no hassle. There's actually a pair of 2.5" SATA drive bays mounted under the mobo, but I'm not using either of them.

Other than the tiny-ness of the mobo, there's nothing to write home about here. If you need a small "real computer" (i.e. something with a bit more grunt than an RPi) to do some utility computing, it might be worth a look though.

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

mdxi posted:

My laptop has started acting up, so I decided to use that as an excuse to build a wee baby shell/web/dev box.

I picked up one of ASRock's new AM4 socketed, STX mobo, external PSU barebones boxes and put an Athlon 200GE in there, along with 8GB of DDR4/2400 RAM and a 500GB NVMe M.2 drive. $357.71 total at newegg.

I have one of those 200GE's and it does remarkably well (and have it oc'd to 3.8) considering how cheap it was. It plays games (nothing super-new) like GTA5 much better than I expected and often (usually) does better than my old fx8350.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
So uh, [H]Bennett is joining Intel...

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Seamonster posted:

I was confused then I saw he was joining the marketing department so he's not getting hired for technical abilities like Anand was with apple.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Seamonster posted:

Countdown to Intel starting some wacky ROG sub-branding nonsense. Seems like having some experienced overclockers on the payroll to stand arms-crossed behind a piece of hardware is an essential part of those things.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Darth Llama posted:

I have one of those 200GE's and it does remarkably well (and have it oc'd to 3.8) considering how cheap it was. It plays games (nothing super-new) like GTA5 much better than I expected and often (usually) does better than my old fx8350.

I'm kinda confused on how your 200GE is doing better but that might be purely game selection. A tuned FX-8350 (4.5Ghz core, 300Mhz FSB, 2700Mhz NB, 2400Mhz DDR3) will beat a 200GE in all but the most single threaded of applications, even when the 200GE is overclocked. Anything needing 4 threads and there is a noticeable difference in the FX 8350s favor.

However, even an R3 1200 will beat the piss out of an FX-8350.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Amazon is having a hell of a deal on the 2700x rn. When does the 3000 series compatible boards drop again?

incoherent fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 22, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

All existing boards should be drop in compatible with a bios update.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Videocardz has leaked the Asus X570 board lineup, so it does like we are getting close. The rumor is still Computex, so around June 1st.

https://videocardz.com/newz/upcoming-asus-x570-motherboards

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

ItBreathes posted:

Has this been confirmed for the cheap B350 ones? Also 400 series boards may or may not support new Autoboost v3 features; there should be no rush, just wait and see.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Cygni posted:

Videocardz has leaked the Asus X570 board lineup, so it does like we are getting close. The rumor is still Computex, so around June 1st.

https://videocardz.com/newz/upcoming-asus-x570-motherboards

I am still betting on something huge for May 1st though. It's the 50th anniversary, maybe they'll do live demos and announce the entire line up then as a paper launch. Computex might actually be Navi launch, I know some people are hard set on an august launch but I think that's actually prime Threadripper time.

sauer kraut posted:

Has this been confirmed for the cheap B350 ones? Also 400 series boards may or may not support new Autoboost v3 features; there should be no rush, just wait and see.

Biostar dropped in an update for B350 boards, so I think the working theory is that all boards can be updated to socket a Zen2 processor. Boosting and OCing are not guaranteed in suboptimal configurations.

I'm stil weirded out by the complete lack of A320 boards (A520 now?), I was hoping they'd fill the old AM1 board niche, be 30-50$ entry boards but I'm guessing the economics make more sense to add more vrms and chokes and go with a B350 model starting @ 60$ instead.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

ItBreathes posted:

I get that, i'd rather have a forward thinking board (pcie 4.0) and have the option to move up. Along with an entirely in house chipset for once.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

incoherent posted:

I get that, i'd rather have a forward thinking board (pcie 4.0) and have the option to move up. Along with an entirely in house chipset for once.

Ah, no idea then. Assumedly with or shortly before Zen2 drops, which is assumed to be summer, but I haven't seen any credible leaks.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

incoherent posted:

GPUs are barely using 8x lanes on PCIe 3.0. 4.0 is only going to matter for server hardware (100gbit nics, really fast nvme) for the foreseeable future and you'll be on a new board before you have any hardware that could actually use the added bandwidth. I wouldn't worry about it too much, though the older boards might drop in price.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'm sure you know, but further down the line pcie 4 may cheapen boards due to less lanes needed for save bandwidth. In the other direction, you may see more nvme slots.

As far as gaming is concerned, pcie 2 is still basically fine.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The one test someone did that claimed to significantly saturate and bottleneck on PCIe 3.0 x8 links took two RTX Titans doing a unusual compute task that generates a lot of PCIe traffic while not using the NVLink bridge that anyone actually doing that particular task would absolutely use. So basically nothing a consumer would do with a consumer GPU.

Ashes of the Singularity also encounters a bandwidth limit on PCIe 3.0 x8, but only in SLI and only because Ashes of the Singularity is programmed in a way that disables the use of the NVLink bridge between the cards.

Indiana_Krom fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 23, 2019

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I believe there is supposed to be at least 1 M2 NVME SSD using PCIe 4.0 coming in very late 2019 that is consumer focused (read: affordable).

It won't be hugely faster than current top of the line M2 SSD's but potentially PCIe 4.0 should allow for nearly double M2 SSD performance over current versions. I wouldn't expect those until well into 2020 and they'll probably cost more but still it'll be a nice improvement over current PCIe 3 M2 SSD's.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

GPUs are barely using 8x lanes on PCIe 3.0.
That's a weird thing to say. Sure, on average it might be that, but considering the hard-on everyone has for 99th percentile frames, microlatencies or whatever the gently caress they call all that stuff that causes jitter during high frame rates, you'd want big assets to make it to the card as fast as possible to keep these latencies to a minimum.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I wonder if I could start selling audiophile woo to gamers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
You're a bit too late to market for that bud