Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

basic hitler posted:

he thinks 4k is worth paying for.

I didn't say that. 1440 is the sweet spot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

DebonaireD posted:

The melody driven MIDI soundtracks of yore were better than the orchestral mood pieces of today. I want a soundtrack where I can hum the tune!

I too have some kind of hosed up Stockholme Syndrome related to the doot doodle do doo do do music that played in Daggerfall's inns :respek:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

DebonaireD posted:

The melody driven MIDI soundtracks of yore were better than the orchestral mood pieces of today. I want a soundtrack where I can hum the tune!

Super Mario Galaxy has the best orchestral soundtrack that still get's stuck in my head

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

poverty goat posted:

I didn't say that. 1440 is the sweet spot
I prioritize refresh rate/framerate over resolution. Any display that can't do at least 120 hz is garbage, but going past that isn't necessary to me.

My ideal gaming monitor right now would be a 1440p monitor at 144hz assuming I had a strong enough system to drive it.

I wouldn't even touch 4k until GPU etc. can comfortably run modern games at 144 fps+.

People who claim they can't see past 60 fps or it's only flicker baffle me and provoke a sense of pity as they probably lost hardcore in the genetic lottery.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

you can't see much past 70 or so frames bud you're not an uebermensch

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

maybe it's like the dudes who insist that they can hear the frequencies that are trimmed off during many kinds of lossless audio compression, no you definitely can't and your vinyl record only sounds different because it's introducing additional sources of background noise you rube

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

if you're running over 60fps on your 60hz monitor, which you will be with modern hardware at 1080p, you're going to get pretty bad tearing

if you turn on vsync to get rid of the tearing, the second poo poo explodes on your screen and you drop under 60fps, vsync will drop you to 30fps. even you troglodyte types will notice that

if you get a high refresh rate monitor, you can just turn off vsync and never think about tearing or frame drops

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

hawowanlawow posted:

if you're running over 60fps on your 60hz monitor, which you will be with modern hardware at 1080p, you're going to get pretty bad tearing

if you turn on vsync to get rid of the tearing, the second poo poo explodes on your screen and you drop under 60fps, vsync will drop you to 30fps. even you troglodyte types will notice that

if you get a high refresh rate monitor, you can just turn off vsync and never think about tearing or frame drops

Greetings time traveler from 2001. You are not going to believe who is President.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yea I can imagine that was explained in vain many times when lcd screens took over

what baffles me is the only reason people think 60hz is good/normal is because lcd screens couldn't do better at reasonable prices until recently

now that they can go higher, it's ...bad?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I like my monitor. It is 1440 and 60 and IPS. It cost half of what a 144 would have cost. And I don't play FPS games.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I don't have modern hardware, owned

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

hawowanlawow posted:

yea I can imagine that was explained in vain many times when lcd screens took over

what baffles me is the only reason people think 60hz is good/normal is because lcd screens couldn't do better at reasonable prices until recently

now that they can go higher, it's ...bad?

That was actually a joke about how you think modern games implement vsync the same way it they did in the before times, with the same drawbacks

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

I like my monitor. It is 1440 and 60 and IPS. It cost half of what a 144 would have cost. And I don't play FPS games.

Ok well if you bought it more than like a year or two ago then I would have done the same thing. I got my monitor a couple weeks ago and it was like $50 more for 144hz at the size/res I wanted, and it's even fully gsync compatible.

High refresh poo poo is only gonna get cheaper now, and as opposed to 2001 when we were talking LCD VS 300lb cube, they are just objectively better.

TheScott2K posted:

That was actually a joke about how you think modern games implement vsync the same way it they did in the before times, with the same drawbacks

You can play old games too, guy

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I forgot to mention it is 27 inches.

I'd be shocked if you could find a comparable monitor that was 144 for $50 more.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

IPS vs TN is a whole nother can of worms

really I'm just saying you might as well get 144hz if you're buying a new monitor like, right now (and it's TN)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
IPS vs TN is more important than 144 vs 60.

The only place that 144 matters is for the few games that actually take advantage of it. That IPS always matters and is always better than TN.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

IPS vs TN is more important than 144 vs 60.

The only place that 144 matters is for the few games that actually take advantage of it. That IPS always matters and is always better than TN.

:can:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I wonder what hz my monitor is. It was cheap, I know that much

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

hawowanlawow posted:

You can play old games too, guy

Oh poo poo old games don't look as good??? 0

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

2house2fly posted:

I wonder what hz my monitor is. It was cheap, I know that much

Probably 60

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
You dorks need a hertz donut.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Sorry for the popular opinion.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

QuarkJets posted:

Oh poo poo old games don't look as good??? 0

Old games more than likely will never dip below the threshold to trigger the drop he was talking about anyway.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I don't give a crap about monitor quality

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

technology is interesting :shrug:

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Why don't you loving dorks just play with a VR headset?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

VR is a stupid dumb gimmick that's never going to go anywhere.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Nintendos whole business model is creating gimmick consoles to play variations of the same games.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Nintendos whole business model is creating gimmick consoles to play variations of the same games.

they already tried VR, it didn't go well

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Everyone's aware of this. It just doesn't matter because there's a huge chunk of people who will throw money at anything with Mario, Zelda, or Pokemon branding.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

is pepsi ok posted:

Everyone's aware of this. It just doesn't matter because there's a huge chunk of people who will throw money at anything with Mario, Zelda, or Pokemon branding.

Nintendos fans are afraid of change.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

VR is a stupid dumb gimmick that's never going to go anywhere.

vr is perfect for people with no spines

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

is pepsi ok posted:

It also helps that the games are generally very good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pokemons core combat is hot garbage.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Barudak posted:

Pokemons core combat is hot garbage.

still better than final fantasy

Barudak
May 7, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

still better than final fantasy

Depends which one your talking about, but also i hate rocket tag a whoooooole lot.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Foul Ole Ron posted:

That might be the dumbest take in this poo poo lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

is pepsi ok posted:

Yes, because no one else in the industry will mindlessly throw money at anything with the correct branding

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Waltzing Along posted:

30 FPS is fine if the game is good.
60+ FPS doesn't matter if the game is bad.

A good movie is good on a black and white CTR TV

Doesn't mean there aren't better ways to watch it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Nintendo fans love and crave change, which is why they follow a company with such a rich and long history of invention and innovation. You know when one of Nintendo's experiments with new types of controller input hasn't worked out because it doesn't become a standard feature of all controllers made from then on