Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

30.5 Days posted:

It's like saying "oh empire isn't an inherent part of british identity, think of the northumbrians!"

why does no one think of the northumbrians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Grape posted:

Got some bad news about Poland, Hungary and Italy.

Or are you doing that thing where Europe is just the Northwest of the continent.

Yeah you gonna give me some hatecrime stats? Becuase I have bad news, your president is a Nazi.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

some sort of fish posted:

well yes we routinely throw bananas at black athletes while making monkey noises, but the historical context in which i shout "ook ook go back to africa" differs greatly from america in that

I mean it is BAD, but it comes from a benevolent paternalistic racism of trying to lift them up from their lot.

Like maybe they were hungry, and now they will have bananas.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Mackers posted:

Yeah you gonna give me some hatecrime stats? Becuase I have bad news, your president is a Nazi.

honestly, when it comes to fascism it is very hard to beat europe, both presently and historically

pick your battles, mate

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

honestly, when it comes to fascism it is very hard to beat europe, both presently and historically

pick your battles, mate

Ok I checked an America is still Nazi central of the Earth.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i mean people have tried, and made spectacular goes at it, but once again old world sophistication and apparently milleniae-long national identities proved to be too much for the upstart peoples of the world

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

V. Illych L. posted:

[the particular hatred against roma and jews is, in large part, founded on their refusal to assimilate.

gently caress right off.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

V. Illych L. posted:

obviously the swedes are subhuman scum, but the chinese are all right imo

The fact that you dudes just constantly talk like Europe ends at the old Iron Curtain is practically some kind of bizarre racism in of itself.
If only subconsciously, like there's Europe, everyone knows what we mean by Europe. And then there's all THOSE crummy places wink wink.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Mackers posted:

Yeah. So are Orban, the PiS and that Italian dude?

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
America, at least 40% of whom are avowed Nazis and Qanon followers

"Europe is racist"

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Grape posted:

The fact that you dudes just constantly talk like Europe ends at the old Iron Curtain is practically some kind of bizarre racism in of itself.
If only subconsciously, like there's Europe, everyone knows what we mean by Europe. And then there's all THOSE crummy places wink wink.

i have no idea what you're getting at here

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

yeah to be more precise what i'm talking about when i'm talking about the modern conception of race is the division of humanity into discrete groups based on especially phrenological studies in the late eighteenth century. more nebulous concepts obviously exist and as late as the interwar period you have people talking about "race" and "people" more or less interchangably - i'd argue, however, that the enlightenment pseudoscience approach is basically essential to modern racial terminology as it allows you to be more rigorous in exactly who counts as subhuman

i dunno I think it is easy to over-emphasize the importance of "scientific racism" to race as a social institution. It was mostly just a dishonest attempt to gussy up existing social arrangements and emotional feelings with a thin veneer of academic rigor. This is obvious if we look at the modern day where those ideas are broadly discredited, but race still exists. In practice no colonial society ever applied their racial classification scheme rigorously, it was always a contradictory and confusing mess full of customary exceptions that could sometimes be ignored if inconvenient.

On the ground race and ethnicity are overlapping subcategories within the broader concept of ethnic identity. In practice group identies, whether called Nations, Races, tribes, or something else, are more-or-less arbitrarily defined on the fly by their members and no academic definitions can ever consistently match actual real world practice. The fluidity of these conceptual classes is obvious if we consider modern movements like White Nationalism, in which race and nation are explicitly equated.

V. Illych L. posted:

i have no idea what you're getting at here

I think you've offended his sense of National Honour.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Oh heck I'll go as far as to say the entire modern concept of Europe is racist, arbitrarily carving out the western corners of Asia into it's own continent, and largely defining that around Christianity and people who "look like us".
And also historically defining that loosely enough to exclude various Eastern European states when convenient. Even sometimes Southern European.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
ITT: ostensible marxists are shocked to discover that if the foundation of your society's wealth is racism, then the foundation of your society might, also, be racism

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Grape posted:

Oh heck I'll go as far as to say the entire modern concept of Europe is racist, arbitrarily carving out the western corners of Asia into it's own continent, and largely defining that around Christianity and people who "look like us".
And also historically defining that loosely enough to exclude various Eastern European states when convenient. Even sometimes Southern European.

yeah the 1st/2nd world divide influences modern preconceptions who knew that'd be a thing

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

why does no one think of the northumbrians

Bunch of fence sitters. All up there in the north but not Scottish, but say they're their own thing separate from the rest of the English. Make up your minds.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Spangly A posted:

yeah the 1st/2nd world divide influences modern preconceptions who knew that'd be a thing

Not the people subconsciously letting it leak into their comments constantly. :allears:
Oh and it drat sure predates that.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Grape posted:

Oh heck I'll go as far as to say the entire modern concept of Europe is racist,

The "modern concept of europe" was to stop us warring with each other and it worked.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Mackers posted:

The "modern concept of europe" was to stop us warring with each other and it worked.

Anddddd check another mark in the "Eastern Europe doesn't really count" category.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Squalid posted:

i dunno I think it is easy to over-emphasize the importance of "scientific racism" to race as a social institution. It was mostly just a dishonest attempt to gussy up existing social arrangements and emotional feelings with a thin veneer of academic rigor. This is obvious if we look at the modern day where those ideas are broadly discredited, but race still exists. In practice no colonial society ever applied their racial classification scheme rigorously, it was always a contradictory and confusing mess full of customary exceptions that could sometimes be ignored if inconvenient.

On the ground race and ethnicity are overlapping subcategories within the broader concept of ethnic identity. In practice group identies, whether called Nations, Races, tribes, or something else, are more-or-less arbitrarily defined on the fly by their members and no academic definitions can ever consistently match actual real world practice. The fluidity of these conceptual classes is obvious if we consider modern movements like White Nationalism, in which race and nation are explicitly equated.

ok sure, but i do believe that the formalisation of a pseudoscientific ideology helped codify and legitimise racial theory (to the extent that i just automatically used the word 'theory' here) at an important juncture, especially with regards to the american republican project - terms like "caucasian" remain very important in contemporary american racial discourse, for instance

scientific legitimacy matters a lot, even if the actual implemenation of the ideology is much messier - similar to how something can be technically illegal but inconsistently enforced. the state is legitimising a certain view, even if it's not really coherently realising it

i accept that this might be a bit of a historical/discoursal accident, and i'm honestly not alert enough to really get into the meat of this discussion atm, but since i was talking primarily about the difference of racial discourse between america and most of europe i feel it's relevant

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
Which countries are the not racist ones?

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Grape posted:

Anddddd check another mark in the "Eastern Europe doesn't really count" category.

what the gently caress are you talking about? We didnt want nuclear War with Russia so we're racist?

I mean I understand that "people over there" being murdered is a price americans are happy with paying. We are human.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Rozzbot posted:

uhhhh, was the sealand guy ever revealed to be racist

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Rozzbot posted:

none, op

only the glorious international soviet state of our hearts remains pure

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lets stop this racism derail please. both of our dumb countries are racist and stupid

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Both should be destroyed

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

ok sure, but i do believe that the formalisation of a pseudoscientific ideology helped codify and legitimise racial theory (to the extent that i just automatically used the word 'theory' here) at an important juncture, especially with regards to the american republican project - terms like "caucasian" remain very important in contemporary american racial discourse, for instance

scientific legitimacy matters a lot, even if the actual implemenation of the ideology is much messier - similar to how something can be technically illegal but inconsistently enforced. the state is legitimising a certain view, even if it's not really coherently realising it

i accept that this might be a bit of a historical/discoursal accident, and i'm honestly not alert enough to really get into the meat of this discussion atm, but since i was talking primarily about the difference of racial discourse between america and most of europe i feel it's relevant

Yeah it was definitely important, but I think it's important to understanding what race is to understand the pseudoscience post-dates race as an identity. Its interesting to see these intellectual ideas led to different cultural practices in the New World. While in America scientific racism produced an obsession with preventing race mixing and maintaining strict delineations and definitions of the races, In Latin America it produced the exact opposite: a preoccupation with encouraging race mixing. The most extreme manifestation of this probably came in Paraguay in 1821 when President Francia made it illegal for anyone of European ancestry to marry another European. The result is a dramatic difference in how race was ethnicized in the United States and Latin America, even if many of the underlying assumptions about race were shared across these regions.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Mackers posted:

"Europe is racist"

Where the heck you getting that 40% number from? That would be immense if true.

Rozzbot posted:

Depends how we define 'not racist' tbh. Like, I think how many refugees a country takes probably correlates with how racist the populace are, but that would mean Turkey is the least racist country on earth and that's obviously untrue.

But on measure I genuinely think the least racist country on earth is Guyana, the history is weird but facts on the ground in 2019 they are very sound.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mackers posted:

"Europe is racist"

Takes one to know one. :shrug:

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
which race is the most racist - the greatest thread in the history of forums, locked by a moderator after 12,239 pages of heated debate,

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

lets stop this racism derail please. both of our dumb countries are racist and stupid

it's true and bitching at each other is the dumbest poo poo.

Hang the billionaires and we can bitch forever.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

can we get back to the brexit please. i want to hear more stories of wasted money on "out by 29th march" bets

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
JFC what happened to this thread

So May definitely isn't getting that deal passed, right? How the gently caress is she still PM?

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

shirts and skins posted:

JFC what happened to this thread

So May definitely isn't getting that deal passed, right? How the gently caress is she still PM?

because not even an insane person would want to be PM right now

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Martout posted:

because not even an insane person would want to be PM right now

I'll take it

my great great grandpappy was Scottish, is that enough to be eligible

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

V. Illych L. posted:

i'm not saying it's worse, i'm saying it's institutional in a way it isn't/hasn't been in on the european continent. by all means, we've had obvious and hideous bouts of racism (such as, you know, WW2 and the loving holocaust), but the nuremberg laws had to be invented by a bunch of evil lawyers precisely because concepts of miscegenation and hangups re: racial integration in that way were, for all our callousness, just not that fundamental to us

the particular hatred against roma and jews is, in large part, founded on their refusal to assimilate. this is also what the danes are aiming to do with their ridiculous ghetto laws; they're not trying to make all-white communities, they're trying to break up minority-majority communities and disperse them among the white population. the basic objective is different, though motivated in the same way by base xenophobia and chauvinism

america has many good features also from its basic institutions, such as the pervasive republican notions of liberty and democratic engagement (pretend i cited toqueville and veblen at length here), but race is fixed in america in a way it just isn't in most of europe

The Nuremberg laws were explicitly based on existing American laws

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Brexit will be putting the cunts back in Scunthorpe:

Uncertainty about Brexit is the biggest single problem facing UK businesses right now. However, for some sectors that uncertainty is proving to be a real benefit.

The British tourism industry has seen a surge in business so far this year. Ashbourne Heights Holiday Park in Derbyshire’s Peak District has seen its bookings rise by over 60%.

Brexit fears boost British tourism

http://flip.it/xu4kht

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

lol even in this thread c h a o s r e i g n s

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
imo the modern conception of race dates back to the reconquista not the trans-atlantic slave trade so it predates and is basically consubstantial with the modern state though not with the various nations of europe or the world afaict

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

imo the modern conception of race dates back to the reconquista not the trans-atlantic slave trade so it predates and is basically consubstantial with the modern state though not with the various nations of europe or the world afaict

nerd