Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
What would 'Open World' even mean in the context of Persona?

Frankly most people's structural complaints with 3/4/5 revolve around the disconnect the already existent freedom gives (ie. Having to write the party's S-Links around the fact you can do them or not independent of the main story) . Opening i t up further would exacerbate the hell out of that

Also in general open world meshes horrifically badly with any kind of narrative because of the permutations it opens up. It would be a complete non-starter unless you radically overhauled the franchise again to a completely different genre from the dungeon-crawler and time management sim 3/4/5 have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zore posted:

Frankly most people's structural complaints with 3/4/5 revolve around the disconnect the already existent freedom gives (ie. Having to write the party's S-Links around the fact you can do them or not independent of the main story) . Opening i t up further would exacerbate the hell out of that

Also in general open world meshes horrifically badly with any kind of narrative because of the permutations it opens up. It would be a complete non-starter unless you radically overhauled the franchise again to a completely different genre from the dungeon-crawler and time management sim 3/4/5 have.

I concur and that's why I ended up deleting my first post. I do think it could work if you had a better way to sort and find social links. Maybe a menu that shows you where someone is, whether your link is ready to go up, and a short synopsis of their story in case you take a hiatus from the game for a bit. But that'd be helpful regardless whether the game was open world or not. The reason I originally thought it'd be cool to go open is because Tokyo is huge and gorgeous and it'd be fun to explore...but it's already big enough if not too big and you can already explore.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Personally, I feel Persona 4 and Persona 5 both do a good job of making each group feel like friends, in different ways but still. Unfortunately a lot of the really good dialogue for the Phantom Thieves being friends is incendental stuff down in Mementos which people understandably avoid a lot of the time.

Off the top of my head though Ryuji and Ann definitely feel more like friends then Yosuke and Chie/Yukiko, and generally I feel like yes the friendships between the Investigation Team do work they tend to be more 1 on 1 and less group based, the Phantom Thieves outside Morgana/Ryuji seem to at least all get along and understand eachother etc. Much less arguments and clashes I feel, although that might just be Yosuke kind of not being a great friend outside of the Protagonist.

Basically both groups do feel like real friends, but the different circumstances and personalities give them different tones.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Zore posted:

The Velvet Room is a wagon going down a snowy mountainside.

Igor turns to you and says "Hey you, you're finally awake"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

The Velvet Room is a wagon going down a snowy mountainside.

Igor turns to you and says "Hey you, you're finally awake"

cursed post

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

chaosapiant posted:

I just typed out a post asking what people would think if P6 went more "open world" and then decided Persona doesn't need open world because it's Persona and I cancelled my post. Then I came back to type this just to see what others thought.

I think this could be a more interesting approach to Mementos than the version we got. The SMT series has always had a Tokyo as a backdrop, but P5 didn't really feel like it took great advantage of the setting in the way that the mainline titles do. Western games like Spider Man and the first Division really relished in the concept of exploring NYC in a way that I think would be really cool for a Persona game to follow.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It would be interesting to see in the next game if they made more SLinks that were event locked. Not trait locked because that's annoying and it works especially bad for Makoto, but rather how your group is processing whatever big event just happened and how that relates to their personal growth as it relates to their Arcana.

Side benefit, it also means you probably want to introduce all of your main cast earlier so you don't get another Haru situation.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Lord_Magmar posted:

Off the top of my head though Ryuji and Ann definitely feel more like friends then Yosuke and Chie/Yukiko

The only scene I can think of where I really felt this about Ryuji and Ann is the animated section of the time they take Futaba to the beach, and when the girls come out in swimsuits, Ryuji ogles Ann and makes boob-grabbing motions, and she does this amazing disarm of his creepiness by first pointing and laughing at him, then throws her arm around him all "yeah! you're liking me now, aren't you? whatsamatter? cat got your tongue?" which is one of my favorite moments across both games.

Zore posted:

Yeah I can't imagine what open world would add to these games aside from tedium, really.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's a good scene in Ann's social link where she tries to "seduce" Ryuji and he just totally no-sells it, it's probably one of the better moments for both of those characters.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Dawgstar posted:

It would be interesting to see in the next game if they made more SLinks that were event locked. Not trait locked because that's annoying and it works especially bad for Makoto, but rather how your group is processing whatever big event just happened and how that relates to their personal growth as it relates to their Arcana.

Side benefit, it also means you probably want to introduce all of your main cast earlier so you don't get another Haru situation.

I just finished Caligula Effect and I think the way in which the social links relate to the main plot is very good. During the main game, all characters get a sort of small resolution to a much deeper issue that is extrapolated upon in the social link, but they're all plot locked so the character growth that occurs there doesn't interfere with their actions in the main story, but this also means the issue each person goes through is much more at the forefront of what's going on in the game, so everything feels very relevant.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Arist posted:

There's a good scene in Ann's social link where she tries to "seduce" Ryuji and he just totally no-sells it, it's probably one of the better moments for both of those characters.

is there? I don't recall this scene.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

I concur and that's why I ended up deleting my first post. I do think it could work if you had a better way to sort and find social links. Maybe a menu that shows you where someone is, whether your link is ready to go up, and a short synopsis of their story in case you take a hiatus from the game for a bit. But that'd be helpful regardless whether the game was open world or not. The reason I originally thought it'd be cool to go open is because Tokyo is huge and gorgeous and it'd be fun to explore...but it's already big enough if not too big and you can already explore.

I have a feeling what you are proposing would ultimately end up either like the Star Oceans with their Private Actions or whatever it is that Radiata Stories was.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

HaB posted:

is there? I don't recall this scene.

It's the one where she goes to the gym, I think it's Rank 8.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Onomarchus posted:

I have a feeling what you are proposing would ultimately end up either like the Star Oceans with their Private Actions or whatever it is that Radiata Stories was.

I haven't played any of those so I don't know if that's good or bad.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Arist posted:

It's the one where she goes to the gym, I think it's Rank 8.

Ah yeah. That's a good one.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

HaB posted:

But why on earth is Nanako Judgement in 4?

She's not, she's Justice, which in the context of the Major Arcana of the Tarot is about finding and maintaining balance in your life.

HaB posted:

I am also hoping that other characters have combo finishers like Chie & Yukiko's Twin Dragons.

Yeah, Yosuke and Kanji will eventually get combo finishers, though not with each other. Yosuke gets his with your second-to-last party member and Kanji gets his with the final party member.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Open world is loving garbage, don’t infect Persona with that cancer.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

100 ryujis drop into a mementos...

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Digirat posted:

100 ryujis drop into a mementos...

They all just stand around going "For real?!?" at each other

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Zore posted:

Also in general open world meshes horrifically badly with any kind of narrative because of the permutations it opens up.

Completely agree. Breath of the Wild is one of my favorite games of all time, and I think one of the reasons it works so well is because the story is mostly told through world-building rather than through a proper narrative. But I do not think that all games should try to be like BOTW, because I think that style of game is incompatible with a strong narrative. Seeing how good an open-world game can be when it doesn't force you along a narrative just drives home how badly many games handle the tension between open-world non-linear gameplay and a linear narrative. Most of them would be better served by ditching the open-world non-linearity rather than the narrative.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I just finished Caligula Effect and I think the way in which the social links relate to the main plot is very good. During the main game, all characters get a sort of small resolution to a much deeper issue that is extrapolated upon in the social link, but they're all plot locked so the character growth that occurs there doesn't interfere with their actions in the main story, but this also means the issue each person goes through is much more at the forefront of what's going on in the game, so everything feels very relevant.

Is that game worth picking up? What was your overall opinion on it?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

HaB posted:

My biggest complaint is the lack of Safe Rooms, or some way to save inside a dungeon and/or being able to start partway in on later attempts. Having to trudge through lower levels again is tedious.
You can resume dungeons from whatever the last floor you were on was. Not sure if you need to use a Goho-M or not.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Epi Lepi posted:

Is that game worth picking up? What was your overall opinion on it?

I heard literally nothing but bad things about Caligula Effect, but I just beat the game yesterday and I actually really enjoyed it. My biggest issue with the game is that battles take a million years, and after the first few hours I just dropped the game difficulty to Easy for trash mobs, and then jacked it up to max difficulty for bosses because those get very very fun and require a lot of planning and feel super good to win. Basically, playing optimally involves using shields and dodging and countering attacks, so you never end up taking damage anyways which means that even on Extreme enemies never touch you, they just take 5x as long to kill, but it still has tons of encounters like most JRPGs and it's just not playable when each fight takes 2+ mins. But again, I just did some difficulty adjustment as I went which solved that issue entirely.

Overall I think it benefits heavily just due to the nature of the story, which is much more focused around trauma than the Persona series, where character's problems are much smaller and more mundane in scale. I really like this approach, but at the same time there were points where I was rushing through dungeons because I really wanted to unlock more social link scenes to see how they play out because they're all really interesting, in a way that I could never really get invested to the Persona slinks. I'll post a spoiler of one sample link in the game to give you an idea if you're still on the fence.

One of the characters, in the main game, you find out has body image issues. This is addressed by her getting really mad at some overweight NPCs, but this is all the main story gets into it. In the social link, you learn that her mom is overweight and got made fun of by her classmates when she came to school to pick the character up. This developed into her being embarrassed by her mom and developing anorexia and bulemia as well as resenting her mom. In the world of Mobius, which is the simulation the game takes place in, everyone is granted some sort of wish when they enter, but that wish is usually some sort of deformity of what the person really wants. u, who runs Mobius, gave the girl a new, prettier, thin mom, but this was a result of her dad divorcing her real mom, so the social link sort of ends with you tracking down the simulation version of her mom to make up with her as a way to atone for her poor treatment of her mom in the real world, and this gives her the courage to decide to make amends with her parents in the real world once she wakes up.

If money is a consideration, 50 bucks is kind of steep, I beat the game in 35~ hours, but if not, yeah, definitely give it a shot. I really liked it, I think the storytelling is all incredibly good.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

I haven't played any of those so I don't know if that's good or bad.

Well, I wasn't trying to say that it's good or that it's bad, just that that's how it would probably end up, those games are what they are, and that's already been done. The upshot you wouldn't know having not played them is that those games are a) not actually open-world and, b) I think most will agree, not earth-shattering.

Most of them (haven't played every last SO) are fine, so they may or may not float your boat.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

irlZaphod posted:

You can resume dungeons from whatever the last floor you were on was. Not sure if you need to use a Goho-M or not.

How?

I had to hit Yukiko's Castle floors 5-7 to grind for some quest items and never saw an option to do this.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If you leave using an item or skill and you go back to the entrance there will be an option to go back to the first floor, or the floor you left from. After you clear a dungeon this option disappears and you have to go back through the whole thing because a new boss appears at the top, though.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Persona 5 R announcement in 8 hours during the anime.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

https://p5r.jp/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygyz3Mqjh0k

Persona 5 Royal, new Female Marie going to be added, more info in April. PS4 only.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Fat_Cow posted:

https://p5r.jp/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygyz3Mqjh0k

Persona 5 Royal, new Female Marie going to be added, more info in April. PS4 only.

Well there's something I haven't got time for unless it's really different. And also you can flirt with female confidants.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

So little information it could be anything from a female MC to just a new confidant. Atlus does love to do announcements of announcements though.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The trailer makes it a point to show she's a first year student. Joker is 2nd year.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

her design seems fairly plain, i could see her being a female mc. and

https://twitter.com/UltimaShadowX/status/1109426969530257408

this doesnt like, confirm her being a female mc or anything but i wouldnt close the door on it.

Dehry posted:

The trailer makes it a point to show she's a first year student. Joker is 2nd year.
They'd already have to rewrite a lot of the game anyway, maybe those rewrites took them in that direction? Again, not saying she's absolutely a female MC, but it's not impossible.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
The P3P FeMC is lauded for having a pretty major re-write despite having the same overall story. They could be going whole hog and giving her a whole new story this time. Which I'd love. I mean, no way in Hell it'd be 100% new, no way they'd spend THAT kind of money on an updated re-release this soon after.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The cool thing to do with your niche JRPG right now is to have a second parallel story with the bad guys.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Endorph posted:

this doesnt like, confirm her being a female mc or anything but i wouldnt close the door on it.

They'd already have to rewrite a lot of the game anyway, maybe those rewrites took them in that direction? Again, not saying she's absolutely a female MC, but it's not impossible.

Rewrites aside, something that occurred to me that might have been an issue with choosing a male/female protagonist (or even a protagonist with a customizable appearance), is that doing so would have meant having an alternative set of anime cut-scenes throughout out the game. Apart from extra cost, I'm not sure how exactly they would have done that (seems like you'd have to redraw all the sequences by scratch, as trying to replace Joker alone I think wouldn't work), and they'd have to be done some time in advance of when the game was due to come out.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You could just not have the animated sequences in the female MC route. Do them in-engine. The animated sequences weren't well-liked or anything and there's only like 4-5 of them in the game, it wouldn't be a big deal.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Endorph posted:

You could just not have the animated sequences in the female MC route. Do them in-engine. The animated sequences weren't well-liked or anything and there's only like 4-5 of them in the game, it wouldn't be a big deal.

Yeah, I think most, if not all of them, could be cut out.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/1109437019183304706

Assuming it's accurate, this doesn't sound like main character dialog. Unless it's a totally different path from the main game anyway.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Could it be something like 'The Answer' where New Girl is the protagonist of a coda/epilogue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I hope that The New Girl is Zooey Deschanel playing a phantom thief named Jess.