Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Also I really don't see how you make a healer that stands out from what we have right now but doesn't create problems.

Yeah. There's kinda two archetypes for healer right now. SCH/mitigation, WHM/regen, and AST in the middle.

You can't add a new mitigation healer without causing conflicts with SCH. And on the other side, you can't take two regen style to hard content because you need the mitigation. It will either need to switch like AST, or shake things up in ways I can't fathom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Gender-locked races are hella stupid. Of course the female only race is sexy bunny lady and the male one is big strong lion man. The reasoning they gave didn't make any sense either. I don't know why they decided to go backwards in this regard.
I'm not surprised given the fluff for Viera, really

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Well you see, the First Shard is a reflection of the origin but it's not exactly the same. It diverged and developed in different ways.

Except for the Viera/Viis culture and how men are rarely seen.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah. There's kinda two archetypes for healer right now. SCH/mitigation, WHM/regen, and AST in the middle.

You can't add a new mitigation healer without causing conflicts with SCH. And on the other side, you can't take two regen style to hard content because you need the mitigation. It will either need to switch like AST, or shake things up in ways I can't fathom.

That's a problem they're going to need to solve anyway, though. They're just kicking the can down the road.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Blockhouse posted:

He's not writing it.

Well that's good at least.

But... will the raid armor and/or the bosses be made entirely out of belts?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Arist posted:

That's a problem they're going to need to solve anyway, though. They're just kicking the can down the road.

I mean.. is it? What other healing jobs are there in Final Fantasy?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The MMO HMO > FINAL FANTASY XIV: Shadowbrings - First World Problems

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Arist posted:

Like I mentioned before, I suspect Dancer was in development as a healer until they realized that creating strong healer differentiation that didn't step too much on existing toes would require a large system overhaul. I'm sure we'll get something next expansion, but playing the same 3 healers for another two years kinda loving sucks, regardless.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cabbit posted:

There's room for some kind of alchemist/mixologist/chemist role. That's about it, as far as I can think.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Thundarr posted:

Well that's good at least.

But... will the raid armor and/or the bosses be made entirely out of belts?

Finally, I can make my black mage look like Lulu!

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

"All the female viera live in their secluded villages, while all the males live outside. And that's why adventurers can only be a female one" is a bad excuse actually.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Arist posted:

Having an expansion's worth of iteration can give them the space to make those changes, though. Healing does need an overhaul, but that might be a thing they didn't realize until they were already elbow deep in the initial designs for SHB and they didn't have time to do it for now.

Or maybe we just won't get another healer because fuckit.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

No twinky bunny boys is a fuckin disgrace.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cabbit posted:

There's plenty they could still do. There's fitting support roles into healing, like with Dancer, which would have been aesthetically kind of perfect. There's Chemist for purists. And they already invented Scholar and Astrologian out of nothing.

But also, it's not really tenable to just... not add any healers for the entire remaining life of this game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cabbit posted:

Chemist is the big one that a lot of people expect at some point.

As far as roles go, I think a healer with a greater emphasis on debuffs (to compliment Ast's buffs) would be interesting.

I gotta admit this took a lot of wind out of my sails. I was really excited for a new healer class. Adding yet another DPS (and more to the point not even a DPS that slots into the Ninja or Dragoon archetypes but one which already has two) leaves me a bit cold. I'm sure it'll be fun to play and I'm sure I'll enjoy it when I get my hands on it, but I play mostly healers and I'm pretty ticked off this is another expansion where the big shiny new things are something I won't touch until I'm done the story.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I can't wait until FFXVII for female Rothgarn and male Viella.

Alternatively, I can't wait for the next expansion to get female Hrothgar and male Viera (as if).

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The stated justification might be lore, but I guarantee its as much work for them to make two genders on one race as it is two races with one gender. It sucks if you wanted to be a bunny boy but I think its more interesting this way.

Eventually they'll probably make the flip sides and people will frame it as them back pedaling I guess

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

This is an incorrect statement, regens are much more powerful than shields and damage is so scripted and timelined you can perfectly line up your regens to heal you enough to survive any fight.
Mitigation is only useful if it stops you dying and there's no hits big enough to kill without mitigation in this game afaik.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's dumb to hide behind lore when they handwaved away the same exact lore excuse for why you can be male catboys in 2.0 onwards.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

No bunny boi no sub

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

oh no blimp issue posted:

This is an incorrect statement, regens are much more powerful than shields and damage is so scripted and timelined you can perfectly line up your regens to heal you enough to survive any fight.
Mitigation is only useful if it stops you dying and there's no hits big enough to kill without mitigation in this game afaik.

And this is an incorrect statement because you can find times to put a GCD into preventing damage that will allow you to save a GCD for more damage later.

Also spread critlos are how you cheese limit break meters in a lot of savage fights.

Like, I feel like you haven't had to play a scholar in savage raids if you're saying this?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

What's the lore reason for no female Ronso?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If they followed the Au Ra gender discrepancy, the Viera men would look like the lionbros anyway, so why not add them?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Nessus posted:

I'm not surprised given the fluff for Viera, really

Yeah, I'm not surprised, it seemed like this is where they were going. I just think "well according to the lore male vieras stay hidden so that's why we couldn't add them" is a cop-out because the developers specifically make the lore and could make it different if they wanted to.

There's nothing stopping them from adding the other genders later though. I could definitely see them doing that at some point since it doesn't actually count as adding new races.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

People wanted bishie bunny bois.

We do not have them.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Arist posted:

There's plenty they could still do. There's fitting support roles into healing, like with Dancer, which would have been aesthetically kind of perfect. There's Chemist for purists. And they already invented Scholar and Astrologian out of nothing.

Scholar was in 3. Astro is pretty new, minus some time mage appearances. Geomancer can be modified to be a playable healer different than WHM easy enough. They're flavoured conjurers anyways, so the healing roots are there.

Chemist and Sage have appeared before. Cleric is generic but usable. And there's a ton that can be made up easily enough.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Genderlocked races is dumb. If they don't fix it for the next expansion i will be disappointed.

Dnc being ranged dps is cool though.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Geomancer or Greenmage could easily be the next healer. Gaia character is tied in to Eden, both classes can use rods/maces. Could focus on "THE LIGHT" or ether, maybe drop down heals like MCH drops turrets?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Yeah, I'm not surprised, it seemed like this is where they were going. I just think "well according to the lore male vieras stay hidden so that's why we couldn't add them" is a cop-out because the developers specifically make the lore and could make it different if they wanted to.

There's nothing stopping them from adding the other genders later though. I could definitely see them doing that at some point since it doesn't actually count as adding new races.
I mean that Viera may not have physically distinct genders. Apparently Viera don't know their own biological sex until puberty.

I got nothing on the Ronso. Please do not post small Hrothgar.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kortel posted:

Geomancer or Greenmage could easily be the next healer. Gaia character is tied in to Eden, both classes can use rods/maces. Could focus on "THE LIGHT" or ether, maybe drop down heals like MCH drops turrets?

Geomancers already show up in the AST class story, they're basically just white mages with different spell names

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
I came for the no bunny boy and dancer salt, and I was not disappointed.

Rng Dps Dancer looks neat, and I suppose the big takaway with Ronso is that they want to do more beastlike races, and may be more?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Kortel posted:

astrologians use the same magic as geomancers, and most of green mage's kit is already in the game in other forms.

The only real space would be a chemist whose gimmick is mob debuffs, but if that happened they'd need to give white mage and scholar better damage debuffs/buffs so they'd all line up with astrologian, probably.

Dancer is much better as a ranged DPS in both mechanics and flavor.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Female Catgirls are female Ronso, male Catgirls are male Viera. This is the lore now.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Vermain posted:

I'm sure we'll get something next expansion

:smugdon:

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Geomancers already show up in the AST class story, they're basically just white mages with different spell names

Having run Swallow's Compass I strongly disagree that they are "just" white mages

They're both based on conjury, sure, but it clearly went in different directions.

See also: Scholar/Summoner

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

oh no blimp issue posted:

Mitigation is definitely relevant for world firsts and progression when people aren't geared.

Options left to them: a dps focused hybrid healer (ast is dps lite even among healers since it plays the card minigame instead), some kind of a dps -> healing model, other forms of smart and reactive healing that isn't regen based. You can also have a flow/rotational healer, if you adapted something like Monk to healing spells. Direct healing is just fine if you balance the damage the healer does to overcome time spent casting multiple heals.

Hopefully the systems changes and clean up for 5.0 will be significant for healers, but oops they already said they're focusing on mch and things like mnk and drk. Womp womp.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Eh, may as well have made dancer a caster at this point, its attack animations looks kinda dull compared to both MCH and BRD.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Lore book 2.0 says Geomancers are basically Eastern Conjurers. They share a kinship with Sharlayan astrology but the style of magic is otherwise similar to conjuration.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

If they ever add a healer again it will have the Sect system from Astro so they don't have to worry about balancing regen/shields. The only unique thing about it would be how they activate their buffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

ImpAtom posted:

Just like they did with AST in the first place, they can write new stuff.

Wow, Hrothgar just looks kinda bad.