Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

coathat posted:

Anti Japanese racism is a serious problem on the left

hating anime ipso facto is racist, and resolving this nipponphobia is just as important as reparations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

hating anime ipso facto is racist, and resolving this nipponphobia is just as important as reparations

There's plenty of leftist anime but goons will ignore that subculture in favor of prestige tv. The whole of which is reactionary fascist pablum

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
in my defence I only watch dubs and even then only the decent ones

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

it’s shameful that some leftists are still making Harry Potter analogies when Little Witch Academia is Marxist allegory.

my man

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
dragon ball has a cowardly lecherous shapeshifting pigman who dresses like Mao. tfw ur fave is problematic

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Autism Sneaks posted:

dragon ball has a cowardly lecherous shapeshifting pigman who dresses like Mao. tfw ur fave is problematic

He's supposed to represent American/Western Maoists, so it's accurate.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

it’s shameful that some leftists are still making Harry Potter analogies when Little Witch Academia is Marxist allegory.

I appreciated this post.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
A killer cop in East Pittsburgh got acquitted tonight and protests are blocking streets in much of the city

Depressing

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Autism Sneaks posted:

Oolong saved the world from Emperor Pilaf's evil plans

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

MizPiz posted:

He's supposed to represent American/Western Maoists, so it's accurate.

I was always told it was a direct dig at Mao who was privately understood to be a philanderer and pervert

Plutonis posted:

Oolong saved the world from Emperor Pilaf's evil plans

by wasting a wish that could grant world peace, eternal life, resurrect the dead, etc. on women's panties he wears on his head

Autism Sneaks fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 23, 2019

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The labor strike episode was a baseball bat to the face if you know what you're looking for because it all maps perfectly to a Marxist analysis of capitalism. Traditional magic is capital accumulated through say, feudalism, which the magical servants need to survive while the witches command the vast bulk of it just to have literal power. The crisis is only temporarily resolved by introducing a new mode of production for magic represented by the digital magic form, which is the industrialized capitalism that can eventually supplant traditional forms of power. That both forms are also revealed to literally exploit the surplus magical value of the masses makes it map to Marxism 1::1.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
fun little tidbit here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAnOoP3Obu0&t=62s

bah not accepting embed. go to 1:00

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Womp womp

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The labor strike episode was a baseball bat to the face if you know what you're looking for because it all maps perfectly to a Marxist analysis of capitalism. Traditional magic is capital accumulated through say, feudalism, which the magical servants need to survive while the witches command the vast bulk of it just to have literal power. The crisis is only temporarily resolved by introducing a new mode of production for magic represented by the digital magic form, which is the industrialized capitalism that can eventually supplant traditional forms of power. That both forms are also revealed to literally exploit the surplus magical value of the masses makes it map to Marxism 1::1.

i thought you were better than this pener. an anime watcher...

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Tastykake posted:

i thought you were better than this pener. an anime watcher...

I will never apologize for watching the anime. I bet you love watching prestige tv shows like Victoria, where the rich nobility of 19th century England were the real victims.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

hmm

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i only watch American Influenced Anime, like "The Dragon Prince" or the new "She-Ra" because it's empowering and doesn't have weird big anime titties and bad uncomfortable sexual plotlines

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

THS posted:

i only watch American Influenced Anime, like "The Dragon Prince" or the new "She-Ra" because it's empowering and doesn't have weird big anime titties and bad uncomfortable sexual plotlines

LWA has zero fanservice, and is age appropriate to watch with your nieces and nephews.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

LWA has zero fanservice, and is age appropriate to watch with your nieces and nephews.

i liked the new Voltron show

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I will never apologize for watching the anime. I bet you love watching prestige tv shows like Victoria, where the rich nobility of 19th century England were the real victims.

ive never heard of whatever that is. i only watch movies where grizzled men wander through the woods in search of meaning.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Tastykake posted:

ive never heard of whatever that is. i only watch movies where grizzled men wander through the woods in search of meaning.

:smug: while you were watching The Quiet Place I was studying the Karl Marx anime

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

:smug: while you were watching The Quiet Place I was studying the Karl Marx anime

is it actually good? i've been hesitant to introduce it to my friendgroup

THS
Sep 15, 2017

also where do I get a good copy of it?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

THS posted:

is it actually good? i've been hesitant to introduce it to my friendgroup

No. It's not good at all. The best parts are Karl and Friedrich bro'ing out and talking philosophy, but it's mostly hagiographic pablum that papers over a lot of the most important parts of Marx's life and thought because they only produced like 7 episodes. If your friends are otaku freaks that love any anime no matter what then you should recommend it, but nobody else would be impressed or find it interesting.

THS posted:

also where do I get a good copy of it?

the episodes are uploaded to youtube, but I'm not sure which channel has English CC.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If your friends are otaku freaks that love any anime no matter what then you should recommend it,

sold!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Pener's critique of Castlevania is correct, but he is also free to strike me with a flying guillotine for saying that Carnivale should have received its final two seasons.

edit: I agree with him in that it winked a little too much at the camera, but I disagree that it was too full of itself. it was adequately full of itself right down to Trevor Belmont trying to kick Alucard in the balls

Victory Position fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 23, 2019

THS
Sep 15, 2017

the new Castlevania absolutely loving owned

THS
Sep 15, 2017

it was extremely plodding and intentional with its storyline, just like Dracula was with his plan to invade the human nations. deliberate, and doomed

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Victory Position posted:

Pener's critique of Castlevania is correct, but he is also free to strike me with a flying guillotine for saying that Carnivale should have received its final two seasons.

I'm still mad that Deadwood ends on a cliffhanger.

THS posted:

it was extremely plodding and intentional with its storyline, just like Dracula was with his plan to invade the human nations. deliberate, and doomed

Warren Ellis's smug self-satisfaction oozes through its every pore, but it's still a good watch.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I'm still mad that Deadwood ends on a cliffhanger.

lol theyre making a movie

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAcftIUE6MQ

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Warren Ellis's smug self-satisfaction oozes through its every pore, but it's still a good watch.

I'm glad I don't know who that is. I enjoyed the deliberate smugness of the art and the writing.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
dio brando was the proletarian hero of phantom blood and jonathan joestar was an oafish dandy who allied with a lumpenprole thug and an intelligentsia eccentric to maintain the status quo

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i caught a couple of minutes of Deadwood like over 10 years ago and some guy was trying to gently caress a horse is this representative of the series

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

CYBEReris posted:

i caught a couple of minutes of Deadwood like over 10 years ago and some guy was trying to gently caress a horse is this representative of the series

span that over a few seasons and yes

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Autism Sneaks posted:

dio brando was the proletarian hero of phantom blood and jonathan joestar was an oafish dandy who allied with a lumpenprole thug and an intelligentsia eccentric to maintain the status quo

as we learned, however, Dio was just petite bourgeosie for the real keepers that eat them so he was just loving over humanity over forever

Joseph Joestar did everything good

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

joseph joestar collaborated w italian nazis and befriended a cyborg who died in stalingrad, the only true comrade in jjba is ermes

belgend fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Mar 23, 2019

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

belgend posted:

joseph joestar collaborated w italian nazis and befriended a cyborg who died in stalingrad, the only true comrade in jjba is ermes

he's a good guy, not a comrade. don't kid yourself. he saved the world somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/zei_nabq/status/1109261059305676800