Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nenonen)
What should the presidential powers be in 2020?
This poll is closed.
UNLIMITED!!!! URKKI 2.0!!!!!! 3 23.08%
Sauli should be allowed to telecast to our homes whenever he pleases, but that should be the limit. 2 15.38%
He should be limited to writing mildly worded letters to HBL and other provincial newspapers. 2 15.38%
None. More power to Sanna & Katri & Maria & Li & Anna-Maja & Jenni! 2 15.38%
Unlimited, but every decision must be subject to a plebiscite. 0 0%
None, but the president's life must be video streamed 24 /7 for the duration of their term, with no censorship. 4 30.77%
Total: 13 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

Thank you for the help. I knew the guy was full of poo poo, because LOL Finland's per capita spend on UHC is a fraction of what the US spends to NOT cover everyone and you have better metrics than us on almost everything.

In general, good healthcare and social services pay themselves back through taxation ( and lowered support costs) in Finland. For example, educated and employed 25-year old will be a net benefit of up to 800 000 euros for the state, if the same 25-year old would never get a secondary education.

Not only it is morally right to support people, it is also economically reasonable.

Chazani fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

SnowblindFatal posted:

Haha yeah considering that the setup already is extremely efficient on any scale I've seen, this is going to mean that the poor and the elderly won't get as good treatment in the future as they do now. I can't see any other way to put it. That's globalisation for you. The richer we get, the less we can afford as a society.

E: To clarify. Globalisation combined with almost uncontrolled capitalism. Of course there could be other kinds of globalisation as well but we don't know of those (yet???).

Yeah I remember thinking as I was younger, how come if we're all getting richer, we seem to have less and less every year? Stores are closing, post offices are closing, banks are closing, we have to cut spending here and we have to save on this and this etc etc et... the richer we get the less we seem to be able to afford.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

I hate myself for getting this.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

:vince:

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

I hate myself for getting this.

Which quadrant is the lolbertarian one?

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Yeah I remember thinking as I was younger, how come if we're all getting richer, we seem to have less and less every year? Stores are closing, post offices are closing, banks are closing, we have to cut spending here and we have to save on this and this etc etc et... the richer we get the less we seem to be able to afford.

it's almost as if chasing ever higher income levels at the cost of everything is an unsustainable pyramid scheme

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
aina ne rikkaiden lapset saa eniten huomiota muutenkin

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

:monocle:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
It doesn't surprise me that Christian Democrats and party leader Sari Essayah have announced that the trans law is so important that it is one of the core issues when forming a government with them. As in, not wanting the law to be a bit lenient towards trans people. They really do seem to dislike sexual minorities.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

It doesn't surprise me that Christian Democrats and party leader Sari Essayah have announced that the trans law is so important that it is one of the core issues when forming a government with them. As in, not wanting the law to be a bit lenient towards trans people. They really do seem to dislike sexual minorities.

Jeesus-vauvan kyyneleet ovat tärkeämpiä kuin sinun saatanalliset haureutesi. Sinänsä kyllä ihan hieno propagandatemppu ollut miten Essayah on saatu vaikuttamaan TOLOKUN MUIJALTA KYLÄ NÄI O (gallupien mukaan), mutta ehkä tässä on vaan huoahdettu helpotuksesta/tylsistymisestä kun ei ole enää kielto-Päivin tiukat linjat ja kannanotot pramilla.

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Well since gay bashing is no longer socially acceptable (someone tell that to persut), it's only natural that they move on to the next vulnerable minority that they feel threatened by because of reasons.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Singing Sunflower posted:

Well since gay bashing is no longer socially acceptable (someone tell that to persut), it's only natural that they move on to the next vulnerable minority that they feel threatened by because of reasons.

Imagine being an underage and having the telaketjutransfeminist mob appear on your door step to tell that now is your time to assume the identity of the other sex :byodood:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Ootteko muuten huomannu että Ylellä alkoi maanantaina joku tosi hämynen stand up uutuus, vähän kuin Naurun tasapaino mutta joka jaksossa on vain yksi vitsiniekka ja äänestääkin saa vasta paljon myöhemmin. Studioyleisö ei lämmennyt kahden ekan neverheardin läpille, jokohan tänään Juha naurettaisiin lavalta?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Juha Sipilä knows his audience. He's not willing to stop the use of peat as a source of energy "not before we stop using fossil fuels" - which is odd, considering peat is a fossil fuel. But no worries, he's promising to ease the minds of youths by putting them to plant new trees this summer. Probably in places where the timber industry cut down forests.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Sipilä is a good representative of the finnish entrepreneur.

By which I mean he's egotistical, a criminal and incompetent.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

10 000 000 tree plantings

10 minutes per tree planting on average

works out to roughly 1000 manhours (assuming 1600 p.a.)

So you'd need 10 000 people working full-time for over a month;

100 000 people working for 16 hours in the summer (something like 3-5 working days for young people, realistically)

I don't have time to look up how many 15-17 year olds we have but that's on the face of it a huge chunk of that group (and many of them have other things they need to do, or physically can't spend 16 hours in a forest planting trees)

I wonder if Prime Minister Smart Businessman/Engineer ever did the math.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/NikkiHaley/status/1108467476805963776

Yay americans are arguing over our health services.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Alennusvauva, nyt synnytys vain 59,90! Lisäetuna kaksi ämpäriä ja vuoden tilaus Aku Ankkaa! Soita heti!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Nyt lapsia poljetuin hinnoin! Soita heti niin saat kaupan päälle pahvilaatikollisen kortsuja.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Suomen sosialistisessa neuvostoutopiassa Lenin-setä huolehtii pilttien paskoistakin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwy3NNSFcn0

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Do they put the baby back in if you don't pay?

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Katt posted:

Do they put the baby back in if you don't pay?

Janissaries 2040

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1VfFfgCd6Y

The grassroot of democracy.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/ylekioski/status/1109367664173072385
Your tax euros at work.

BTW did anyone watch that debate with Pekka Haavisto of the Greens? Sounds like they brushed him with soft eco brush, so to speak.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Looks like Rinne decided to skip a few steps in the soc dem evolution to third way neoliberal cum towels and go for full borehole thatcherism:

quote:

Rinne esimerkiksi pitää mahdollisena, että myös maidolle voitaisiin asettaa korkeampi arvonlisävero.

– Tällä hetkellä suomalaisten päästöistä lihantuotanto ja maidontuotanto, mutta erityisesti lihantuotanto eli maatalouden päästöt, ovat liikenteen kanssa yhtä suuret.

Rinne sanoo itse olevansa valmis maksamaan kovempaa veroa tuotteista, jotka voi luokitella ilmastolle ja ympäristölle haitallisiksi.

– Olen itse lihansyöjä edelleenkin ja olen sen valmis maksamaan, koska mielestäni oleellista on se, että saamme tämän maapallon säilytettyä tuleville sukupolville.

It's real nice that a kansanedustaja is willing to spend his meager earnings on extravagant things like luxury taxes for children's milk, I guess the drat poors can drink tap water and Pirkka-Olut :yum:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

So did Swedish ever get abolished from Finish schools or what? I heard nationalists were really passionate about this some decade ago.

Or did lack of :effort: kill it off passively?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Rappaport posted:

Looks like Rinne decided to skip a few steps in the soc dem evolution to third way neoliberal cum towels and go for full borehole thatcherism:

It's real nice that a kansanedustaja is willing to spend his meager earnings on extravagant things like luxury taxes for children's milk, I guess the drat poors can drink tap water and Pirkka-Olut :yum:

Children don't need cow milk unless they are calves, so I'm not sure what is the problem with this.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Looks like SDP still believes in taxes as a way to control crowd behavior. Which is fine, governments do that all the time, just curious to see a party like SDP planning to execute green agenda. However, Finns are eating more and more meat, and red meat especially isn't good for your health, so from a healthcare perspective this is an expected move. Probably an unpopular one, but so was tobacco tax.

And as for increasing the cost of milk: Thatcher removed free milk from schools as education secretary as a way to cut costs for a pitiful 4 million pounds, so I can't really see how you can compare the two. Also real men don't drink milk.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Nenonen posted:

Children don't need cow milk unless they are calves, so I'm not sure what is the problem with this.

Milk is a good source of calcium and vitamins and helps round out the diet. Especially for kids in poor families who may have a very one sided diet at home :shrug:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Katt posted:

Milk is a good source of calcium and vitamins and helps round out the diet. Especially for kids in poor families who may have a very one sided diet at home :shrug:

Why not kauramaito?

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

lol eikö rinne ollut yks näistä idiooteista jotka väitti telkkarissa että banaanien rahtaaminen jostain ecuadorista on haitallisempaa ilmastolle kun suomalainen lihantuotanto

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Looks like SDP still believes in taxes as a way to control crowd behavior. Which is fine, governments do that all the time, just curious to see a party like SDP planning to execute green agenda. However, Finns are eating more and more meat, and red meat especially isn't good for your health, so from a healthcare perspective this is an expected move. Probably an unpopular one, but so was tobacco tax.

And as for increasing the cost of milk: Thatcher removed free milk from schools as education secretary as a way to cut costs for a pitiful 4 million pounds, so I can't really see how you can compare the two. Also real men don't drink milk.

We just had Yleisradio explain to us this week that candy taxes didn't work because people gonna want candy with Sohvaperunat, whereas soda taxes worked because you can buy sugar-free Xtra limppari to go with your candy. (Although admittedly this doesn't explain why alcohol-free beer doesn't seem to fill this role wrt booze taxation :confused:) Until such time as heinäsirkat are as appetizing to Sirpa and Reijo 63 wee as sikanautajauheliha, good luck combining eläkesatanen and meat-milk taxes into a coherent platform, Antti.

Although again my argument is somewhat stymied, this time by HK blüë, hmm.

And milk is good for you and they're even adding vitamin D to it these days so you can play WoW all year round while listening to your favourite animus, you really should give it a go.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

HerraS posted:

lol eikö rinne ollut yks näistä idiooteista jotka väitti telkkarissa että banaanien rahtaaminen jostain ecuadorista on haitallisempaa ilmastolle kun suomalainen lihantuotanto

He sure was.

His best one was the one where he demanded all AIs should be taught to speak Finnish tho.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Rappaport posted:

We just had Yleisradio explain to us this week that candy taxes didn't work because people gonna want candy with Sohvaperunat, whereas soda taxes worked because you can buy sugar-free Xtra limppari to go with your candy. (Although admittedly this doesn't explain why alcohol-free beer doesn't seem to fill this role wrt booze taxation :confused:) Until such time as heinäsirkat are as appetizing to Sirpa and Reijo 63 wee as sikanautajauheliha, good luck combining eläkesatanen and meat-milk taxes into a coherent platform, Antti.

Although again my argument is somewhat stymied, this time by HK blüë, hmm.

And milk is good for you and they're even adding vitamin D to it these days so you can play WoW all year round while listening to your favourite animus, you really should give it a go.

They don't have to switch to insect protein, it's probably enough to reduce the amount of meat in portions while using vegetables to replace that part. Unless you're conditioned to think veggies are bad, yuck, there's plenty of room to adapt. I don't buy the narrative that the poor will suffer because they can't eat meatpudding without sidedishes anymore because they can't afford it or learn new recipes. If you can't make hernekeitto, then how the hell can you expect to survive in this country?

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
I'd rather get rid of beer than milk

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

They don't have to switch to insect protein, it's probably enough to reduce the amount of meat in portions while using vegetables to replace that part. Unless you're conditioned to think veggies are bad, yuck, there's plenty of room to adapt. I don't buy the narrative that the poor will suffer because they can't eat meatpudding without sidedishes anymore because they can't afford it or learn new recipes. If you can't make hernekeitto, then how the hell can you expect to survive in this country?

How do you make hernari without pig flesh though? :hmmyes:

I eat plenty of veggies, thank you very much, but from an election strategy POV all the homersimpsons (Esson baarin äijät?) are gonna hear is 'food more expensive and it's your dumb fault', this doesn't seem like good PR for the ostensibly worker's party. If Antti thinks those people belong to the trash bin of history / class traitor gulags, that's fine too I guess, but it seems bizarre to combine this with economic populism for the olds.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Rappaport posted:

How do you make hernari without pig flesh though? :hmmyes:

That's the point - Finnish pea soup has like 1% meat or meat-like substances in it. You could make it meatier but consumers vote with their wallets.

What would be important is that the overall tax burden doesn't increase, so if taxes are added on CO2 intensive products then other products' taxation is lightened and people can make a choice between expensive kebab and cheap potato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I would eat insect or veggie protein if it was cheaper or at least not like 3x as expensive as meat.

How the hell can some bugs cost more than 🐖 🐔🐄 , so I guess rinne is on the right track...