Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Plutonis posted:

He posts there for the same reason that game devs posts on the Games forum here. To get his e-peen sucked off by the other posters.

Lets be perfectly honest.

Nobody has ever come to Something Awful for positive reinforcement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Mulva posted:

Lets be perfectly honest.

Nobody has ever come to Something Awful for positive reinforcement.

I do. I need the reinforcement. Please. Tell me you like my wizard smut.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
The only good thing about the KotE final pass is that it got me to play Sleeping Dogs again for the first time in years.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Loomer posted:

The only good thing about the KotE final pass is that it got me to play Sleeping Dogs again for the first time in years.

Vampire tried to teach me that Chinese undead monsters are invincible and ultra powerful, but Sleeping Dogs taught me you can always smash their face on the side of your car, throw them in your trunk, and then dive out of your car as you drive it off a bridge.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ProfessorCirno posted:

Vampire tried to teach me that Chinese undead monsters are invincible and ultra powerful, but Sleeping Dogs taught me you can always smash their face on the side of your car, throw them in your trunk, and then dive out of your car as you drive it off a bridge.

The KotE book Shadow War teaches the same thing!

Seriously it was funny in that they essentially did a breakdown of Kindred Disciplines versus Cathayan and while they don't come out and say it the filthy gaijin come out on top.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

ProfessorCirno posted:

Sleeping Dogs taught me that many, if not most, of life's problems can be solved either by this or by breaking arms and legs.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Loomer posted:

Sleeping Dogs taught me that many, if not most, of life's problems can be solved either by this or by breaking arms and legs.

Also that a lot of traditional Chinese magic is enhanced by anti-freeze.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Thanks Loomer, now I'm also replaying Sleeping Dogs.

No seriously thanks, this game rules.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

ProfessorCirno posted:

Thanks Loomer, now I'm also replaying Sleeping Dogs.

No seriously thanks, this game rules.

So I got curious and saw that the game is 85% off on Steam right now

so shortly I, too, will be playing Sleeping Dogs, but for the first time in my case

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

So I got curious and saw that the game is 85% off on Steam right now

so shortly I, too, will be playing Sleeping Dogs, but for the first time in my case

Never drive anywhere without first stuffing someone in your car boot.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dawgstar posted:

Seriously it was funny in that they essentially did a breakdown of Kindred Disciplines versus Cathayan and while they don't come out and say it the filthy gaijin come out on top.
On what grounds, being less fiddly? I mean as a mere childe I realized that some kind of Dracula Fight Club could get a bunch of vampires to train up their physical disciplines enough to be able to roll with and probably surpass werewolves. A couple of dots of Potence, Celerity and Fortitude were no joke, and those were explicitly "Yeah, these are just vampire workouts, it's easier if it's your Clan discipline but it's not like only Brujah and Nosferatu get to be Strong Draculas."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

On what grounds, being less fiddly? I mean as a mere childe I realized that some kind of Dracula Fight Club could get a bunch of vampires to train up their physical disciplines enough to be able to roll with and probably surpass werewolves. A couple of dots of Potence, Celerity and Fortitude were no joke, and those were explicitly "Yeah, these are just vampire workouts, it's easier if it's your Clan discipline but it's not like only Brujah and Nosferatu get to be Strong Draculas."

The KOTE's Disciplines all seem cut from the cloth of 'like Kindred's, but fiddlier' although post-Revised stuff probably muddies the waters because KotE was written before it so it's harder to compare.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 23, 2019

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

The KOTE's Disciplines all seem cut from the cloth of 'like Kindred's, but fiddlier' although post-Revised stuff probably muddies the waters because KotE was written before it so it's harder to compare.

"How can we make this supplement needlessly complicated as well as racist?"

-90's WW office.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

If i remember right the various Dharmas had difficulty actually manifesting stuff outside of their primary Virtue (or whatever it's called) so while you might be able to do some weird stuff as a Thrashing Dragon like extend your neck out or summon spirits or whatever you'd then have a hard time growing claws or zapping folks with lightning or whatever.

That and the KoE equivalent of Fortitude and Celerity had you running the risk of your Totally-Not-A-Shadow taking you over and doing stupid stuff.

Seems like they had an easier time taking on the Freestate due to most of the anarchs there being neonates and the typical Kindred problem of working together?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

citybeatnik posted:

If i remember right the various Dharmas had difficulty actually manifesting stuff outside of their primary Virtue (or whatever it's called) so while you might be able to do some weird stuff as a Thrashing Dragon like extend your neck out or summon spirits or whatever you'd then have a hard time growing claws or zapping folks with lightning or whatever.

Not exactly: you could be permanently imbalanced which did weird stuff to you but overall you could learn and use any Discipline. The problems were that some Disciplines varied wildly in usefulness between ratings and that all the Disciplines cost Mage Sphere levels of XP without being anywhere near as good as Mage Sphere.

Hi, I'm the guy who played in multiple KotE campaigns and had fun.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hi, I'm the guy who played in multiple KotE campaigns and had fun.

I liked KotE quite a bit, mostly because I like all the Dharmas. My longest running campaign had a great Resplendent Crane/Devil Tiger pair that was also a very darkly comedic buddy cop thing a fair bit.

Loved that two of my strictures were Follow these additional 8 Strictures.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Howl of the Devil-Tiger is still one of the best splatbooks ever.

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

This remained very true in larp. The Kuei-Jin get (comparatively) easy access to lots of weird stuff that really only high point tremere get, but all their powers cost a lot of xp so you have to focus what you can do. You can get some great combos like ranged touch staking (jade shintai 5, internalize 3), but it takes 8 ranks in disciplines and way more chi and set up time than a Ravnos spends to just do the same thing with horrid reality. If you go for physical combat your shadow soul is going to end up out most fights and you have to choose between winning on ties or getting cheap multiple actions. You can put out scary damage for two rounds, then you’re dry. The thing they excel at is some great investigative powers which kindred can only match with thaum rituals, and the ability to see and talk to basically everything in the setting, plus your main book saying everybody likes you.

Really though, their biggest weakness in a larp is the same the Giovanni get- there being only one or two of you and being outside the politics system in a game which is primarily about politics. You’re setting yourself up as a side character with a weird uncommon skill set nobody has any reason to trust, and unless you’re very charismatic out of game (and let’s be honest, you’re a nerd at a larp, you’re probably not), you’re going to get very regularly sidelined.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yessod posted:

This remained very true in larp. The Kuei-Jin get (comparatively) easy access to lots of weird stuff that really only high point tremere get, but all their powers cost a lot of xp so you have to focus what you can do. You can get some great combos like ranged touch staking (jade shintai 5, internalize 3), but it takes 8 ranks in disciplines and way more chi and set up time than a Ravnos spends to just do the same thing with horrid reality. If you go for physical combat your shadow soul is going to end up out most fights and you have to choose between winning on ties or getting cheap multiple actions. You can put out scary damage for two rounds, then you’re dry. The thing they excel at is some great investigative powers which kindred can only match with thaum rituals, and the ability to see and talk to basically everything in the setting, plus your main book saying everybody likes you.

Yeah, it was stuff like this that stood out to me when I was reading closely during the wave of "kote so orient and uber!" The one that got me thinking was your average Gangrel. Would a typical Kuei-Jin have such easy access to both aggravated damage and soaking aggravated damage? Like you say, Demon Shintai's cool and all but as I remember it its got costs that a Gangrel's stuff doesn't.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, it was stuff like this that stood out to me when I was reading closely during the wave of "kote so orient and uber!" The one that got me thinking was your average Gangrel. Would a typical Kuei-Jin have such easy access to both aggravated damage and soaking aggravated damage? Like you say, Demon Shintai's cool and all but as I remember it its got costs that a Gangrel's stuff doesn't.

The Fortitude equivalent is in the Companion and is needlessly fiddly.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Their problem is they have no focus, and are a big bag of random Asian stuff thrown into a blender and served without thought. Like they are basically all other lines. They have the predatory bullshit and control of Vampire, the spirit world shenanigans of Werewolf, the transcendental philosophical battles of Mage, and the rumination on your life and death of Wraith. And the power spread to match. They are probably the busiest drat line they've ever made, and boy howdy are they not balanced [Mechanically or thematically]. It's like.....what even were they going for there?

e: vvvv Yeah, like holy poo poo is that some of the most white boy ignorance they've ever whited.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 24, 2019

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
They even get to have a nonsensical Mandarin-Japanese name to go along with that mess! :suicide:

The Libearian
Nov 24, 2007
Return your books or face mauling
Hey all, I know this makes me pure 90s vampire "player" problem but as someone who wants to read requim stuff but not actually play it, what are the best books? I just want some interesting fluff, I know the clan books are supposed to be phenomenal but any other recs? I'm particularly interested in anything about nwod dracula after reading his bit on dark eras

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
If you want the Count, he's in a bunch of fiction. He appears in the Gangrel clanbook, and his covenant is in Danse Macabre. I forget where the rest of his stories are but at least one of them is in the Strix Fiction Anthology.

Obviously the vampire novels are probably relevant, if you just want fiction for the game. There's the trilogy, made up of A Hunger Like Fire. Blood In, Blood Out. And A Marriage of Virtue and Viciousness. Shades of Darkness is a book made of three novellas, each telling of related circumstances in Chicago from a different, later coinciding, perspective (we see Vampire from the point of view of Loki, a member of the Circle of the Crone, and I think he's a lot more interesting than Persephone Moore, one of the main characters from the trilogy). Then there's A Silent Knife, which I think is the worst of the fiction, and meshes Vampire and Mage stuff in a fairly blunt way.

For just interesting fluff, Ancient Bloodlines and Mysteries and the Vampire Dark Eras are probably the best sources of information on the past of Requiem, along with obviously Requiem for Rome and Fall of the Camarilla. And the two Night Horrors books, VII, and Belial's Brood.

nofather fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 25, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Happily two of the Requiem novels are written by Greg Stolze who knows his stuff when it comes to game fiction.

There's also a lot of cool stuff in the WOD: Chicago book, especially the stuff on the city itself and the vampire stuff which Stolze also took a hand in. (The werewolf stuff is okay, and the mage stuff is just bad.)

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

nofather posted:

If you want the Count, he's in a bunch of fiction. He appears in the Gangrel clanbook, and his covenant is in Danse Macabre. I forget where the rest of his stories are but at least one of them is in the Strix Fiction Anthology.

Mind that this is the modern count, by which I mean the man who claims to now hold his hereditary title. He is a fantastic character, but a very different one. (And the Brides of Dracula covenant, in practice, doesn't really have much to do with the Count, let alone Vlad Tepes.)

The memoirs of Vlad Tepes, founder of the Ordo Dracul, meanwhile, are available as Rites of the Dragon.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Rites of the Dragon is my least favorite Requiem fiction, and I usually like everything Stolze writes. A better in-universe artifact - esp if you’ve been to bible school and can appreciate fictional textual criticism - is the incredibly nerdy Testament of Longinus.

The clan splatbooks all had some amazing fiction. Daeva and Ventrue were probably my favorites with Mekhet a close third. I also loved the poo poo out of the Secrets of the Covenants fiction, which implausibly managed to make the Carthians cool by chronicling all their worst fuckups.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

A while back I made a Mage Spellcasting Reference for my players because the one in the book is lame. I also gave all my players exercise books so they can write down their spells instead of having to work them out every time.

Some of my players were still having some trouble after session 1 though, so I made some slides to help them out.

Maybe if you play Mage this will help you out too! This does reference the shadow names of a couple of my players though just so they pay attention.

If nothing else - if you're thinking about playing Mage, that link goes through most of what it takes to Properly cast a spell so you can decide for yourself if you want that level of detail.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I mention from time to time the weirdly perfect way that the Book of Nod, Revelations, and Erciyes Fragments read side by side as a single text. Revisiting it today as part of the clean up passes on things to add commentary from Time of Thin Blood, and saw another great example.

"So Caine pulled at his beard and tore at his hair, and took to roaming the wilderness at night, thinking of her, burning for her, and one night Caine came upon an old Crone singing to the moon. Caine said to the Crone,
“Why do you sing so?” And the Crone replied, “Because I yearn for what I cannot have, And a time of waiting that seemed like eternity, With no end in sight." Lilith hungered for the fruit of Jehovah’s great Garden; for the fruit of the Trees of Life and Knowledge. There were none others like unto His place, rich though they might be."

That's the same location in three different books, and it all syncs up not merely thematically, but as a single cohesive piece.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Octavo posted:

The clan splatbooks all had some amazing fiction. Daeva and Ventrue were probably my favorites with Mekhet a close third. I also loved the poo poo out of the Secrets of the Covenants fiction, which implausibly managed to make the Carthians cool by chronicling all their worst fuckups.

Nosferatu surprised me with how much I dug it, although they're all top shelf.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

bewilderment posted:

Some of my players were still having some trouble after session 1 though, so I made some slides to help them out.

It took about 4-6 sessions for my completely new to anything world of darkness since Y2K group, so don't worry too much about it. They'll use it for a little while and then will start remembering things (almost like you're teaching them a rote yantra for spellcasting). The only thing I will say is don't lean too much on the quick spellcasting because it takes away practicing their dice counting skills and what mage wouldn't always use at least 1 yantra? I can't remember the last time they didn't use at least a tool and a bunch of reaches.

After about 15 sessions my mages were not even looking at the advanced charts except in a few large ritual cases. It really just takes practice with your character and the system before that part of the dice game rolls quickly.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hi i just played vtmb again and i want to play some world of darkness online is there a way to do something like that?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

DoctorGonzo posted:

hi i just played vtmb again and i want to play some world of darkness online is there a way to do something like that?

I think the closest would The Secret World if that's still a thing.

The official WOD online game was officially cancelled a while back.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Tsw is/was very world of darkness. But they rebooted it recently. New mechanics but all the quests and plot are the same, but you can't use your old characters. Which was long of a deal breaker as I don't want to do the entirety of New England and Egypt again.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Tsw is/was very world of darkness. But they rebooted it recently. New mechanics but all the quests and plot are the same, but you can't use your old characters. Which was long of a deal breaker as I don't want to do the entirety of New England and Egypt again.

My only actual interaction with TSW was the spinoff game The Park. Great atmosphere but it was basically another horror game doing the SH2 ending because of course.

I only spent $4 on it so :shrug:

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But there is no way to play tabletops games online?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

None whatsoever

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

DoctorGonzo posted:

But there is no way to play tabletops games online?

Basically any chat program. Some people do it via forum.

There's things like roll20, which allow for more of a tabletop experience (sharing images/maps with the group, built-in dicerollers, rooms for character/npc sheet).

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

There's a few Discord servers as well, complete with dicebots.

... oddly enough we still use Roll20 for the actual maps and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

You can check recent posts (not so much old ones!) in the TG Game Recruitment Megathread here to see if there are any games starting up that are open for general player submissions. Doesn't look like any WoD or CofD games are still open recruiting at a glance, but you can check in every so often in case that changes.