Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

SirPablo posted:

Season ten was complete trash.

Max Power tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

I hope the moment he dies the Simpsons writers start having Lisa eat meat again.

There's apparently an episode where Lunchlady Doris convinces Lisa to add bugs to her diet.

I looked it up and the description cut off at a point where I thought it might also be the Fit Tony one. It's not, but that wouldn't have been a surprise at this point.

I miss when we could have "which of these awful Simspons episodes is fake?" without them all turning out to be real.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

P&tP was a funny episode, but it was where the characters became props to hang jokes on instead of people the audience is expected to care about. And you can still have a decent show by doing that so long as the jokes are good, but those also turned to poo poo soon after.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bitterandtwisted posted:

P&tP was a funny episode, but it was where the characters became props to hang jokes on instead of people the audience is expected to care about. And you can still have a decent show by doing that so long as the jokes are good, but those also turned to poo poo soon after.

It really is an all around good episode, but it's the moment when someone set the show to evil.

LouisF
Mar 16, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CodfishCartographer posted:

Up yours, children.

DUNDUNDUNDUN-DUN-DUN-DUNDUNDUN

LouisF
Mar 16, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
had a shot of bourbon. lets get back to comedy.

principal artamaran catches nelson smosking meth in his locker.

meanwhile, lou becomes chief for the day while babysitting ralph

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

I wonder, if they found a "lost" script from the 90s and produced it today, if it would stand out as a particularly good episode, or if we're all so soured on the modern Simpsons that it would go unnoticed

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dads_work_files posted:

I wonder, if they found a "lost" script from the 90s and produced it today, if it would stand out as a particularly good episode, or if we're all so soured on the modern Simpsons that it would go unnoticed

Maybe it was "lost" for a reason

Pawg From Produce
Feb 11, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
They kind of did that with a Judd Apatow spec script written during the earliest seasons, but unfortunately they didn't leave well enough alone and produce it as-is.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
what's the episode where moe thinks he's got aids, and instead it turns out he's just got mesothelioma from all the asbestos in his bar

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

dads_work_files posted:

They'd have to get rid of Lionel Hutz and/or Troy McClure so we'd potentially be missing a lot of good jokes.

And it would still have the really lifeless animation of the modern episodes so a lot of good visual gags would fall flat.

LouisF
Mar 16, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

what's the episode where moe thinks he's got aids, and instead it turns out he's just got mesothelioma from all the asbestos in his bar

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

A Fancy Hat posted:

They'd have to get rid of Lionel Hutz and/or Troy McClure so we'd potentially be missing a lot of good jokes.

And it would still have the really lifeless animation of the modern episodes so a lot of good visual gags would fall flat.

Also the voice acting isn’t as good and the modern staff would “punch up” the script with poo poo.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

A Fancy Hat posted:

I still think you guys are way overestimating how big of a part these characters were back in the day. Part of what made them so great, beyond Hartman being incredible, was how sparingly and smartly they were used

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Riptor posted:

I still think you guys are way overestimating how big of a part these characters were back in the day. Part of what made them so great, beyond Hartman being incredible, was how sparingly and smartly they were used

It felt like they were trying to expand Hutz near the end with him having a real estate job. I think I remember reading that the plan was to have him show up with different jobs going forward.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SeANMcBAY posted:

It felt like they were trying to expand Hutz near the end with him having a real estate job. I think I remember reading that the plan was to have him show up with different jobs going forward.

So, he was replaced with Gil?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Iron Crowned posted:

So, he was replaced with Gil?

Pretty much. It’s interesting how Gil debuts in Hutz’s last episode in hindsight.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
They do a similar gag in Futurama. The same sketchy guy runs the robot fights, butterfly brawls, etc.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And Ken Adelberg in Home Movies

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Data Graham posted:

And Ken Adelberg in Home Movies

Hm, I must have missed that Simpsons episode

LouisF
Mar 16, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
that time bob oblong sued homer for waste dumping nuclear material into the towns "
local watering hole"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

Pretty much. It’s interesting how Gil debuts in Hutz’s last episode in hindsight.

Not his last, but it's very close.

Gil is a good character. He just suffers from the comparison.

Edit: oh I misread that I thought you were talking Hartman's last episode

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

PostNouveau posted:

Not his last, but it's very close.

Gil is a good character. He just suffers from the comparison.

Edit: oh I misread that I thought you were talking Hartman's last episode

Yeah, I meant Hutz’s last speaking role. I know Troy McClure shows up in a later one.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
It's weird that people get down on Principal and the Pauper for being an episode where they got a little bit fast and loose with their established characters when Hurricane Ned did the exact same thing.

I guess it's just because Skinner is a more beloved side character; but I feel like Hurricane Ned started the change from "so much better than you that you hate him" Ned to "Crazed zealot" Ned Flanders. Seymour kept his established traits; Ned slowly morphed into something completely different.

Excellent episode though.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

The Vegas episode hosed with the character of Flanders more.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
White wine spritzer!

I didn't think Hurricane Neddy or Viva Ned Flanders were inconsistent- in Vegas, the whole episode is based around Homer coercing Ned to act against his own instincts, so the "change" (which doesn't last) isn't coming from internally.

With Ned's freak-out after the hurricane, we saw a little bit of that frustration in Homer Loves Flanders (one of my all time favs) where he loses his poo poo in church- it just gave a little more backstory and was something that neither needed to be walked back or mentioned again. Also, his beatnik parents are from an earlier episode so there's really nothing in this episode that goes against anything already established.

:goonsay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oicDiFsW1_s

e: meant to add also the zealous tendency shows up in the episode where the Simpsons kids are put in foster care of the Flandereseses

it's not wrong, but overall all the best side characters have been boiled down to their own tropes and stereotypes and Ned is no exception

Harold Stassen fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Mar 23, 2019

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m 60.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

talk about a low point

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Filthy Haiku posted:

It's weird that people get down on Principal and the Pauper for being an episode where they got a little bit fast and loose with their established characters when Hurricane Ned did the exact same thing.

I guess it's just because Skinner is a more beloved side character; but I feel like Hurricane Ned started the change from "so much better than you that you hate him" Ned to "Crazed zealot" Ned Flanders. Seymour kept his established traits; Ned slowly morphed into something completely different.

Excellent episode though.

Uh...I like both episodes but those two plots are not remotely similar at all, lol. One was providing a sensible backstory to why a character acts the way he does, while the other tried to tell the audience that a beloved character never truly existed and was actually a farce this entire time.

No, the real problem with Hurricane Ned was that the spanking program explains his lack of anger, but it doesn't explain why that necessarily caused him to be a Bible thumper.

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s a good podcast. One of the hosts is longtime front page writer Bob Mackey.

Wow! A Bob Mackey!

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:

Skrill.exe posted:

Wow! A Bob Mackey.

drat it

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Cubone posted:

milhouse's parents getting divorced and staying divorced at the end of the episode was hilarious exactly because by sitcom logic it shouldn't have happened

"can I borrow a feeling" was perfect set-up and pay-off for getting them back together and luann was just like EW NO.

You know, now that I'm older the 'X days without a suicide' joke is kind of messed up

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

You know, now that I'm older the 'X days without a suicide' joke is kind of messed up
Yeah that's the point

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Phlegmish posted:

Had occasion to visit an acquaintance who was living in a divorced mens' colony. They're every bit as depressing as they're portrayed in that ep and a little worse. All the cleaning supplies were kept locked up so the residents couldn't drink the bleach and poo poo.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/meganamram/status/1108182248887476224?s=19

Tonight!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Wait does this mean we have a chance of a good episode happening here?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Wait a minute why did they let someone funny write a Simpsons episode in 2019?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

I'll watch it, but I won't be happy about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Is this the episode where Bart is mad about an all-female cast reboot?

Y'all getting excited about that?