Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
She goes back to work (office job) next week, and she should be fine to do most of the housework the week after that. The end is in sight.

But I really wish we didn't have to go through this. Besides being physically tiring, it's also super stressful when someone you love is unwell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
My Dad forgot who I was today. He thought I was his sister, who passed away from complications of Down Syndrome when I was 12. He was just so happy to see her and so excited to talk to her and you can't break the delusion so I had to pretend to be her. I don't care much for Alzheimer's, thank you very much. He's SEVENTY. I don't understand why people believe in a benevolent God when my perfect Dad has to be like this.

Why.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My mom wants to kill herself because she thinks I'm a failure due to her lovely parenting skills, but she's also refusing to talk to me. My life fell apart because of Lyme disease but apparently that also means she failed at raising me somehow and I am such a disappointment it's worth ending it over. Others are on her side and if anything happens will solidly blame me for not doing more, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do when she refuses to communicate with me.

Found out yesterday my friend's son killed himself in front of her. He passed away in December but I just found out what happened.

I lost my job because I'm too sick to work. I emailed them 3 days ago about taking medical leave and never got a response back, just got removed from the schedule. It would have been nice to get a "Hope you feel better" at least.

2019 is off to a bad start.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Some coworker refused to help me fill in behind the counter at my retail store. So I had a line of 9 people when our service guidelines are to have 3 maximum and someone else who was already loaded with work had to help me. This lasted for at least an hour and stressed me the gently caress out. Thanks, loving god for self checkouts or some Lord of the Flies poo poo would happen and I would be sacrificed to the gods.

All because he has this idea that he does not have to be behind a counter ever. In. A. loving. Retail. Store. I am not in love with the soul sucking task of asking if they "want paper or plastic" or "You can receive X bonuses if" along with the agonizing bip bloops, but if no one loving does that nothing else that is done matters. Which is why even the retail manager stands behind it if needed. Why did we invest in these dumb loving FBI earplug/walkie talkies if I have to to use the direct line to reach my coworkers and even then they wont help because they think their job is more important than ACTUALLY MAKING SURE THE CUSTOMERS GET THE loving WARES!

Midig has a new favorite as of 20:40 on Feb 7, 2019

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Your coworker is right.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
John Dingell died, he was one of my favorite guys on twitter and seeing a 92 year old extremely online dude dunk on trump and various cronies was often a great thing to see every day. RIP old dude, he even tweeted yesterday via his wife that "we're not done with him yet". Looks like that isn't the case. :smith:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

A good friends' mom was found on the floor at work yesterday and brought to the local hospital where they found a brain aneurysm. She was operated on there, then transferred to Yale New Haven for another surgery today. I've heard no updates other than that she was still unresponsive after the first surgery. Her mother just died a few months ago and that's fresh in everyone's minds, she's only in her 50s and was doing well when I saw her two weeks ago. "Life isn't fair" doesn't even begin to describe it. The whole family are literally the nicest people in the world, and even they can't catch a break.

Mikl posted:

I'm so loving tired, y'all.

My mum had surgery for cancer. Everything went fine, she's ok, and doctors expect her to make a full recovery. But for a while she can't do any physical work.

This means that for the past two weeks I've been taking care of her, cleaning her house, cooking, and doing housework, on top of doing the same for my house, and work. My dad's no help since he's absolutely useless when it comes to cleaning or cooking or the like. My sister would help but she lives a thousand miles away. The only thing that relaxes me is running and that's also tiring. Plus I'm transitioning and it's sapping my strength, so there's that.

I don't mean to complain, I'm happy to do it and I do it willingly. I'm just... Venting a bit, because I'm just so tired.
:glomp:

fizzymercy posted:

My Dad forgot who I was today. He thought I was his sister, who passed away from complications of Down Syndrome when I was 12. He was just so happy to see her and so excited to talk to her and you can't break the delusion so I had to pretend to be her. I don't care much for Alzheimer's, thank you very much. He's SEVENTY. I don't understand why people believe in a benevolent God when my perfect Dad has to be like this.

Why.
8 new posts in and I'm tearing up because I know how you all feel.

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!

DrBouvenstein posted:

I ran over a pothole last Friday that, because it was full of snow, I didn't see. It completely ruined my tire...flat, hole big enough that I could hear the air whistling out of it as I tried to fill it back up enough to limp home.

Finally got around to going to a tire place today, and they tell me that:
1) The tire is too damaged on the "shoulder" so it can't be fixed, needs a new tire.
2) That tire make/model is not made anymore, the newer version is sort of close, but not close enough so they really want to order two to replace both front tires. Naturally, they don't have them in stock, and only have 1 size winter tire for my car in stock but it's so different I'd have to get all 4 replaced. I'm generally wondering if I need two.
3) The city, who sometimes will pay for your tire repair if it's because of a pot hole, can't give me any answer if ANY of these will be reimbursed because they just give it to the insurance. So now I play The Waiting Game to see if I can get any money back.

So right now they have the estimate for 2 tires and I just have to wait to see what they say, I'm assuming they'll be cheap fucks and say that I absolutely cannot get two new tires, and in fact, they'll only approve 1 used tire, or some BS like that.

Tireman reporting. Is there any reason why they can’t get a tire that’s 1) the same size 2) same load rating and 3) same weather rating (all season, winter etc)? I mean generally if someone is replacing a blown tire we see if there’s any that are too worn out to be legally on the road but if they’re clear and only want 1 we don’t force their hand. They don’t have any used or takeoff tires? Sounds pretty fishy to me.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Biplane posted:

Your coworker is right.

How?Why?

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Girl I liked invited some other guy to join her and her friends last night and I just tried my best to hide my disappointment as I was clearly not invited... Also, thanks Einstein who told me I am so uptight, I noticed.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Working in a ward today with a patient who just bellows "NUUURSE! NUUURSE!" instead of hitting the call button right beside her because she thinks bellowing makes the nurses prioritize her over the other patients. It does not, because the hospital has a strict prioritization system specifically to prevent that, but also that means the last three hours has been listening to her nonstop except for the few times she stops for a minute after a nurse puts more ice in her water, or brings her a newspaper. I still have five hours of my shift left, and naturally all the staff and other patients are in a bad mood because of the constant monotone yelling.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Danaru posted:

Working in a ward today with a patient who just bellows "NUUURSE! NUUURSE!" instead of hitting the call button right beside her because she thinks bellowing makes the nurses prioritize her over the other patients. It does not, because the hospital has a strict prioritization system specifically to prevent that, but also that means the last three hours has been listening to her nonstop except for the few times she stops for a minute after a nurse puts more ice in her water, or brings her a newspaper. I still have five hours of my shift left, and naturally all the staff and other patients are in a bad mood because of the constant monotone yelling.

God I'm so loving glad I got out of healthcare. At least in real estate if a client is a lunatic I can just say I would prefer not to work with you, don't contact me again.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Was woken up early because my computer was making some really loud, odd noises. Thought I fixed it, I was wrong, and it happened again.

Turns out there was a plastic film (which, shock and awe, had the words REMOVE WHEN INSTALLING on my video card that both my brother and I missed) which was hitting its fan and making the noise.

Now I'm awake early, on my day off, and I'm sweaty and warm from stress.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You should turn your computer off when you go to bed, imo. No sense having it sit there for ages doing nothing but wear itself down, yanno?

And I totally did that once with an old pc. Had a little plastic tab that I didn't pull off a part, and boy it didn't go well.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I spent all night in the bathroom, the pain from my guts was so searing and intense I was also throwing up from that. Pain is still strong enough I still haven't slept but at least I'm back in bed. My medications suck even though they're actually working fixing what was wrong with me before so I gotta keep on them.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

One of my coworkers who normally takes sick time for relatively minor stuff (which I have no problem with) came in with a loving fever last Monday, shockingly I've been sicker than hell since then, thanks.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Danaru posted:

Ahhh, gotta love the senile screamers. Constant 'NUUUURSE!!!!' and 'HELLLLP!!!!'
all day everyday.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I made garlic bread yesterday lunchtime.

Woke up every hour in the night with screaming indigestion, took a lot of rennies, threw up a little bit once, felt bloated and gross all night and was 99% sure at 3am I'd poisoned myself.

Fine today!! Just tired. Maybe garlic intolerant but I'm not loving testing it, just won't eat so much at once. Life without garlic is not worth living

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

eating only apples posted:

I made garlic bread yesterday lunchtime.

Woke up every hour in the night with screaming indigestion, took a lot of rennies, threw up a little bit once, felt bloated and gross all night and was 99% sure at 3am I'd poisoned myself.

Fine today!! Just tired. Maybe garlic intolerant but I'm not loving testing it, just won't eat so much at once. Life without garlic is not worth living

Username post combo

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I didn't get enough sleep last night, so I tried to have a late morning snooze but then a flashback crept into my mind and now I'm wide awake again.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Job hunting loving sucks, one that would have been fantastic didn't come through and I'm just applying for poo poo and waiting for the trickle of 'we regret to inform you' to begin.

I have no real control over my life rn and I hate it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
one of the last things to happen right before heading to lunch at work was walking into a dolly that was on its side and slamming my shin straight into the edge of the bottom of it, slicing a good 2-inch-long gash in my shin and leaving a flap of skin(I superglued it with medical glue when I got home but still, that fucker hurts and will no doubt be scarred for the rest of my life)

if unfamiliar, I'm talking about the thin, relatively sharp bit of metal at the bottom of one of these helpful tools:

also my day is double ruined because while looking for a stock image of a dolly I was greeted with this horrific thing

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

I DON'T LIKE IT

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
So that's where they got the idea for Paul in Saints Row 3.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The wind is real strong today so I got to be woken up by the howling and then kept up by the fear of trees falling on the house(could hear the occasional THUD in the forest of trees falling in there) and I got to work(UPS) only to find the power has been out for over an hour and they won't have a generator for at least two hours. Meanwhile all the trucks are showing up but nobody can actually load or unload them. When the power comes back on it'll be a real shitshow.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

A good friends' mom was found on the floor at work yesterday and brought to the local hospital where they found a brain aneurysm. She was operated on there, then transferred to Yale New Haven for another surgery today. I've heard no updates other than that she was still unresponsive after the first surgery. Her mother just died a few months ago and that's fresh in everyone's minds, she's only in her 50s and was doing well when I saw her two weeks ago. "Life isn't fair" doesn't even begin to describe it. The whole family are literally the nicest people in the world, and even they can't catch a break.
They had to pull the plug the other day.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
^ Jesus, my sympathies.

I'm kinda sick, and I'm dealing with a symptom I haven't had since I was a little kid: the asthma attack that doesn't respond to medications for more than a few minutes. It's better if I sit up to sleep, but I'm a lay-down-on-my-side sleeper so it's not working, yet.

I just want to sleep.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Owner of the shop lost a bet while out skiing last night so he's in a bad mood today, which he always likes to express by literally loving screaming at his employees. It pisses me off so loving much. I just bought a loving trailer to live in and moving costs ate my savings up so I can't actually afford to tell him he's being an immature loving child for whom no reasonable adult would ever want to work and then loving quit, so I'm spending MY day in a lovely mood now too and I'm not even one of the people who got literally loving screamed at by a grown-rear end man for no good loving reason. His dad started this business and there's nothing quite like growing up as a rich white man to ensure a person is an entitled loving prick who screams at people because he feels he's inherently better and more important and deserves to do whatever he loving wants, the loving toddler-rear end piece of loving poo poo

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Pales in comparison to other people's problems, but it looks like my car will need a $300 part to fix some transmission issues that appeared out of nowhere this weekend. It just became for for an inspection this month, too, so I'll have to get the part and install it first since it trips the check engine light, and with labor it would easily be over $600 to have the shop do it vs myself.

And my other car had a busted sway bar link, so while I should be grateful I am solidly middle-class enough to own two vehicles, in the end it just means twice as much repair and maintenance costs, too.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

My Tokyo trip is over.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

i have acute bronchitis and it isn't being better yet it's the third day of antibiotics for it and i have to go yo work today because they're already mad that i missed Monday and Tuesday bit o don't feel better and o can't breathe. i keep getting infections in my sinuses and lungs and im literally frightened of dying from antibiotic resistant pneumonia im legitimately scared and also sick and can't breathe and my job involves physical labor and im scared and upset

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I've been sick with some sort of chest cold for 5 days. Nothing I'm taking is fixing it including the Z pack my doctor gave me 3 days ago. I'm burning though my asthma medicine like crazy and all I wanna do is sleep, but I can't because I have too much stuff going on at work and I'm really far behind because I just got back from vacation. I've been back at work for one day and I already want to leave again. I hate my job and I hate that I got sick for half my vacation so I couldn't even enjoy it.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've been sick with some sort of chest cold for 5 days. Nothing I'm taking is fixing it including the Z pack my doctor gave me 3 days ago. I'm burning though my asthma medicine like crazy and all I wanna do is sleep, but I can't because I have too much stuff going on at work and I'm really far behind because I just got back from vacation. I've been back at work for one day and I already want to leave again. I hate my job and I hate that I got sick for half my vacation so I couldn't even enjoy it.

solidarity

i actually like my job but I'm probably going to get fired bc i left early to go back to the er about this and even with notes and poo poo my boss said i could go but "when you do get back we need to have a sitdown" so now im terrified of literally dying in real life AND of losing my job if i manage to survive lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Alex trebek announcing he has stage 4 pancreatic cancer was a big bummer to wake up to. It doesn't necessarily really hurt my day by itself, but it's just a downer to be the first thing I see when I woke up and went to check what's happened today, yanno? Especially when I've had my fair share of having family members/friends and pets die to pancreatic cancer, it's a real fucker.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Invictus posted:

Alex trebek announcing he has stage 4 pancreatic cancer was a big bummer to wake up to. It doesn't necessarily really hurt my day by itself, but it's just a downer to be the first thing I see when I woke up and went to check what's happened today, yanno? Especially when I've had my fair share of having family members/friends and pets die to pancreatic cancer, it's a real fucker.

ONCE AGAIN, I learn of lovely things through a random thread on these forums rather than an actual news or social media site.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
In the sort of thing that makes me feel like there's an afterlife or something past death, yesterday was the 11th anniversary of my little sister's murder and I had the same dream I had the night she was killed, same scene in the dining room with my parents and I crying around the table, and she walked up, reassuring everyone that it was alright, except this time me and her were bickering. No idea what it would possibly mean. Though we did often bicker because thats how siblings do

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This is a really petty first world whinge, and I know I have it good otherwise, and that it's not the end of the world etc. so I apologize in advance, but it has made me feel lovely this last week.

I quit my old job in January, because I hated it, the city and country I lived in, and the people I worked for. I moved back to Australia to stay with my parents, and started to look for other jobs in the same industry, (ESL teaching), hopefully back to a country I have worked in before and was really happy in. Given my job requires international visas, I spent the last month or so collecting all the required documents and getting the various official stamps that need to be on them. I want tpo move out of my parents house as soon as loving possible. So I had my heart set on a job starting in April-May. I sent out resumes etc. and got initial replies back saying that if they were interested in me they would call for an interview etc. So currently I have been waiting for more than 2 weeks with no call backs.

This makes me feel lovely because I know I "should" be a good candidate for these jobs, (I have multiple years experience, I have qualifications, I am at least competent at what I do), so why don't they want to hire me? This leads to my arsehole brain coming up with many excuses and reasons why I am poo poo and will never work again and am stuck here. Which feels bad.

I know in the real world, this isn't a major problem, and I should just lower my sights/standards, and maybe look for jobs starting at the beginning of the Aug/Sep semester, or in easier countries to find work in. So this is what I will end up doing. And that as much as it is pissing me off right now, I am lucky to have parents that are prepared to have me sleep in their guest room for multiple months. But still, it has been making me feel lovely these past weeks,

Sorry again about the pettiness of my whinge, and how entitled it makes me sound.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I tried to bake a cake for a friends party tonight, and it came out bad again despite using a different recipe. Still came out too hard, and a minute earlier it wasn't cooked through so I think it didn't have the right consistency. It was uneven.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

I tried to bake a cake for a friends party tonight, and it came out bad again despite using a different recipe. Still came out too hard, and a minute earlier it wasn't cooked through so I think it didn't have the right consistency. It was uneven.

Pour a ton of condensed milk onto it and bake it again. Problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Lost internet on Thursday and not getting it back until Wednesday minimum, thanks Mediacom.