Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002
i played the gently caress out of halo CE back when it released and really loved it.

i'm looking forward to finally getting to play all the other games whose soundtracks i spent so much time listening to driving around in my formative years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/SVKaiser/status/1108807188833804288

Splitscreen multiplayer for you weirdos with a computer in your living room. Weirdos.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

No my friend, its time for solo co-op

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
gently caress that's awesome. Can't wait for this port to come out :)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Like with Strife Veteran Edition (even if I got burned early on it) and both Turok games, I'm getting Blood day 1.

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

The Kins posted:

https://twitter.com/SVKaiser/status/1108807188833804288

Splitscreen multiplayer for you weirdos with a computer in your living room. Weirdos.

I need this. Having introduced some friends to Serious Sam based on it's co-op merits this might be a good way to get them into even older fps games.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I can't wait to die to a tiny disembodied hand because I forgot what the use key is for! Again!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
System Shock will be the first full on remake Night Dive's done so far, right?

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Very excited to play Blood for the first time when the remaster comes out. I've played Duke Nukem 3D and all the expansions, even the lovely winter one, and Shadow Warrior and enjoyed both. As fun as Doom is, it's fun to hit your head against some of the harder old school games every once in a while.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is there any chance the Blood remaster will hit the Switch too? Is Turok the first Night Dive game on there?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

david_a posted:

Is there any chance the Blood remaster will hit the Switch too? Is Turok the first Night Dive game on there?

Turok is their first game outside of PC yeah but chances are that they'll hit the Switch with more (at least Turok 2 imo).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
is it just me or is Wolfenstein: The New Order's tutorial, like, really really bad for someone who isn't a shooter person?

like, I was able to get into it just fine because i've been playing FPS games since age 5, but my fiancee's been wanting to give it a shot forever on the basis of "it's about a human wrecking ball slaughtering Nazis," and... letting her play was slightly a trainwreck. because every control popup is so tiny you literally can't see what button you're supposed to hit unless your face is mashed against the screen, and the tutorial gives you about 10 seconds to pull off stuff that's really not intuitive to someone who's never played a CoD or similar (I had to specifically show her a spot where she could practice sprint-jumping and sprint-sliding, since sprinting at all was a new concept to her and the spot where the game tries to teach you sprint-sliding is timed). and then the first firefight made her ragequit because she kept accidentally switching back to her knife.

what is an actual good "babby's first FPS" kinda game that actually teaches modern FPS mechanics/controls decently? my brain's immediately going to Call of Duty 4, since TNO's gameplay is basically a faster and more "hardcore" CoD and CoD4 is also really loving good, but I feel like the... CoD-ness of it would put her off pretty bad, given why she's into TNO.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 22, 2019

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQl4AaL2X6o

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

is it just me or is Wolfenstein: The New Order's tutorial, like, really really bad for someone who isn't a shooter person?

like, I was able to get into it just fine because i've been playing FPS games since age 5, but my fiancee's been wanting to give it a shot forever on the basis of "it's about a human wrecking ball slaughtering Nazis," and... letting her play was slightly a trainwreck. because every control popup is so tiny you literally can't see what button you're supposed to hit unless your face is mashed against the screen, and the tutorial gives you about 10 seconds to pull off stuff that's really not intuitive to someone who's never played a CoD or similar (I had to specifically show her a spot where she could practice sprint-jumping and sprint-sliding, since sprinting at all was a new concept to her and the spot where the game tries to teach you sprint-sliding is timed). and then the first firefight made her ragequit because she kept accidentally switching back to her knife.

what is an actual good "babby's first FPS" kinda game that actually teaches modern FPS mechanics/controls decently? my brain's immediately going to Call of Duty 4, since TNO's gameplay is basically a faster and more "hardcore" CoD and CoD4 is also really loving good, but I feel like the... CoD-ness of it would put her off pretty bad, given why she's into TNO.

Doom 2016?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
They're showing the last episode of AE at PAX, hoping the full thing'll be out early April.
https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1108638434191503360

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

What a shame

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Overwatch and Fallout 4 got my girlfriend into shooters. Fallout 4 helped because the tutorial is really mild and lets you get used to those kinds of controls. The game then let her ease into firefights instead of being like "LOOK OVER THERE NO BEHIND YOU AWW YOU YOU'RE DEAD NOW.". Overwatch was the first and big one because it lets you pick the kind of shooter experience you want to have. She bounced off of stuff like Soldier and Tracer but is an absolute monster when playing D.Va because you can take some hits, fly around, not worry about reloading, etc. She's now a scary good Reinhart/DVA/Moira player. It also depends on what platforms you have.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Portal (and the sequel) could be game to learn FPS controls; (mostly) no hostiles, easy controls, and also very good and fun. You can even try co-op Portal 2!
Halo might also be a good starting point, or Painkiller, Serious Sam, or an older CoD game (1 or 2).

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Try em all, I suggest Bioshock Infinite.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah Portal 1 is my go-to for "learn to play in first person" but other options include things like Gone Home and other first person adventure games.

If they wanna shoot things up theres basically no wrong answer if you go by "what interests them" but for general intro Id probably lean Halo since its a focused experience with both QoL and generalized fundamentals to the genre.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
The correct way to introduce a person to shooters is to titrate games by dimensions.

1. So you start with a shooter that focuses only on one direction (Capcom's 1942)
2. Then one with two directions (left & right, AKA Metal Slug),
3. Followed by a 2.5D shooter that focuses on all four cardinal directions (Blake Stone or, perhaps more obviously, Cyberdogs)
4. A basic 3D FPS follows (Requiem: Avenging Angel)
5. Finally a 6DoF shooter is administered (Descent)

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

what's the name of that crazy multiplayer doom mod that's like an arena thing with a lot of random stuff in it? I think people in here made it, but i can't remember the name of it at all.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Reelism? It's not multiplayer.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Reelism can be played in multiplayer, but it wasn't really made with it in mind.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I change my answer to Viscera Cleanup Detail.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

4. A basic 3D FPS follows (Depth Dwellers)

TalkingBasically
Aug 19, 2018
your savage assassin disprefers CoD. you need to prefer CoD. if she hates CoD that much you are setting yourself up for a win with it

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Perhaps one day if she is enough of a game master, she can play... CUBE.

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/103624-bfg-exit-door-source/

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Huh, all these years and I never noticed the sprite literally has 'BFG' written on it :stare:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Lol i actually had that toy gun as a kid

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s a little vaginal

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Samopsa posted:

Portal (and the sequel) could be game to learn FPS controls; (mostly) no hostiles, easy controls, and also very good and fun. You can even try co-op Portal 2!
Halo might also be a good starting point, or Painkiller, Serious Sam, or an older CoD game (1 or 2).

Portal is a great choice for a game that might be enjoyable to non-gamers in general, let alone those new to FPS.

One of my old roommates' girlfriend decided to play through it and because she never really played video games she often took pretty interesting approaches to figuring out how to solve the puzzles that would never have crossed our minds. It was kind of fascinating to watch sometimes.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Fallom posted:

It’s a little vaginal

Well yeah...how do you think Doomguy held it steady?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

site posted:

Lol i actually had that toy gun as a kid

Me too. IIRC the hundreds of battle action sounds were pretty cool, the orange controls in the left-side view let you tweak them.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Convex posted:

Huh, all these years and I never noticed the sprite literally has 'BFG' written on it :stare:

That's because it's a part of the sprite that's not actually shown in-game.

During early development, they had weapon bobbing going upward, doing a sort of V shape. So they needed the sprites to have more rows of pixels below the standing position. Then they changed it to be the other way around, doing a sort of ∩ shape instead, and that made the extra rows unneeded.

Some of the weapon sprites were cut of the extraneous pixels as a result, others weren't. The "long" weapons in Doom are the rocket launcher and BFG; all others are short. If you dig in the IWAD for the Doom press-release beta, you can see long sprites for the other weapons, too. More of Doomguy's arms for the punch (you can see his armband), also for the pistol, the wooden stock on the shotgun. The chaingun and plasma rifle have had significant edit work, though, and the chainsaw was already short.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

That's because it's a part of the sprite that's not actually shown in-game.

During early development, they had weapon bobbing going upward, doing a sort of V shape. So they needed the sprites to have more rows of pixels below the standing position. Then they changed it to be the other way around, doing a sort of ∩ shape instead, and that made the extra rows unneeded.

Some of the weapon sprites were cut of the extraneous pixels as a result, others weren't. The "long" weapons in Doom are the rocket launcher and BFG; all others are short. If you dig in the IWAD for the Doom press-release beta, you can see long sprites for the other weapons, too. More of Doomguy's arms for the punch (you can see his armband), also for the pistol, the wooden stock on the shotgun. The chaingun and plasma rifle have had significant edit work, though, and the chainsaw was already short.

This is really interesting, thanks! I vaguely remember weapons looking a bit different when I tried the old alpha and beta versions but didn't realise exactly what had changed (except for the weird looking starter rifle which I guess is what the doomguy sprite is supposed to be carrying?)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/mashxtowin/status/1083172683242627072

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Always wondered why doom wadders don't try more original digitized photos or original models (instead of the normal make it out of existing game 3d model screenshots or sprites) with the amount of software and camera tech it wouldn't be too hard. Only wad I can think of was that really great artist guy who was hired by Ionstorm and Id and that colorful playdough monster wad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Enjoyable QuakeCast with the lead guy on Wrath: https://quakecast.podbean.com/e/quakecast-18-jeremiah-killpixel-fox/