Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

dissss posted:

Can't they give it back to you in the interim or have they taken the old screen out?

Apparently, it's also the fender, which is back ordered another 5 weeks. :allears:

MomJeans420 posted:

Do they give you a loaner at least?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

MomJeans420 posted:

Do they give you a loaner at least?

You're only getting a loaner for accident repair if your insurance includes it, regardless of car company.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

ROJO posted:

You're only getting a loaner for accident repair if your insurance includes it, regardless of car company.

Yeah, but most companies don't hold on to your vehicle for a month. I'm pretty sure you'd be comped a vehicle after a few days at any other reasonable dealership.
Edit: And now I remember when I took my Sonata in for repairs that took a few days they did give me a vehicle without me asking or charging anything.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

I love the car, I dislike Tesla.

That's progress, i guess.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Peachfart posted:

Yeah, but most companies don't hold on to your vehicle for a month. I'm pretty sure you'd be comped a vehicle after a few days at any other reasonable dealership.
Edit: And now I remember when I took my Sonata in for repairs that took a few days they did give me a vehicle without me asking or charging anything.

For accident repair vs. service though? I've never heard of someone getting a loaner from a dealer because they needed body work (willing to admit it might happen though - I haven't had a lot of need for body work in my life).

Not trying to say 5+ weeks for a windshield isn't ridiculous...

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I refuse to believe that a Tesla, which is the greatest winter car ever made with the worlds most advanced traction control system and engine braking that works better than any ABS, was involved in an accident due to something as silly as ice on the roadway.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

bird with big dick posted:

I refuse to believe that a Tesla, which is the greatest winter car ever made with the worlds most advanced traction control system and engine braking that works better than any ABS, was involved in an accident due to something as silly as ice on the roadway.

Yes but what tires was it on? Black ice is unforgiving.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The level of EV-haters is at least getting weaker.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

drgitlin posted:

Yes but what tires was it on? Black ice is unforgiving.

He was referring to what was, at the time, brilliantly timed comedy, but at this point just seems mean

Powershift posted:

ratbert90 posted:

My 3 was fine this morning in West Michigan. 8F out with a -5 Windchill.
Easily the best car I have ever driven in the winter.

ratbert90 posted:

Sigh, I do love my 3, but it’s in the body shop after a minor fight with black ice and a road sign at 10 mph. It needs a new front bumper and I hope I get a bumper before they go bankrupt. :smith:

I think you owe that dude that was railing on about winter driving Teslas an apology. :colbert:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’d tell them to take a windshield off another car, 5 weeks is asinine.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://insideevs.com/nissan-leaf-215-226-miles-epa-range/amp/

I think I'm going with an SV anyway, want that Android auto, and trim anyway. I'm curious about how much curb weight is needed for a 5 percent loss in efficiency .. luckily I'm pretty slim.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

drgitlin posted:

Black ice is unforgiving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efiW2K8gASM

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I’d tell them to take a windshield off another car, 5 weeks is asinine.

just go to speedy glass jeez it's not like a windshield is some bizarre unique part that you can only get from tesla or anything

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Cars with steering assist features are said to need glass with better optical clarity than regular cars.

Who knows if it's bunk

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Sagebrush posted:

just go to speedy glass jeez it's not like a windshield is some bizarre unique part that you can only get from tesla or anything

I'm fairly sure Tesla's various senosrs can not work with off the shelf glass. That seems to be more and more the case these days with other manufactures that have behind windscreen sensors but from memory (I really need to remeber to make a point of confirming with the wrecks next to the BRZ/WRX) the glass is different but...... not something I've paid particular attention to TBH, there'ss a lot of other things under a Tesla that is more interesting. I do know it'll be a loving bitch to change whatever the grade of glass required.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm fairly sure Tesla's various senosrs can not work with off the shelf glass. That seems to be more and more the case these days with other manufactures that have behind windscreen sensors but from memory (I really need to remeber to make a point of confirming with the wrecks next to the BRZ/WRX) the glass is different but...... not something I've paid particular attention to TBH, there'ss a lot of other things under a Tesla that is more interesting. I do know it'll be a loving bitch to change whatever the grade of glass required.

Surely you can just look at one of the 57 Model 3s your WRC team claims to have imported into Australia and tell us.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

FilthyImp posted:

Cars with steering assist features are said to need glass with better optical clarity than regular cars.

Who knows if it's bunk

Confirming this as I just encountered it with my non-ev. And the cameras must be recalibrated. Mine was a GM so it only took a few days to get a replacement in hand.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
You also need to get your ADAS sensors recalibrated if you change your wheel size.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

drgitlin posted:

You also need to get your ADAS sensors recalibrated if you change your wheel size.

Wait what i just did this on my F-150

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
All 2019 Nissan LEAF Models Explained: https://youtu.be/wrhd3nXuIFQ

Understandable presentation on the leaf trim/range options.

Here's the estimates the salesman sent me (I have great credit)

Nissan dealership posted:

New 2019 Leaf SL plus (62kw battery, 230 mile range average) with Mats and splash guards (top model, upgraded dual charge cord,... Leather, Bose, pro-pilot autonomous drive,... all options)

Total MSRP: $43,835 (including destination)

Leaf loyalty price: $41,335 (for having purchased or leased a leaf in the past)

Option A: Purchase

$41335 -$1000 instant rebate =$40335+taxes and license. Available 0% apr for 36 mon, 0.9% for 60 months.  claim $7500 fed rebate next year

= net cost: $32,835.

Option B: Lease to purchase before 1st lease payment is due . all rebates claimed upfront.

$41335 -$7850 lease rebate +lease fees (acquisition fee, cap reduction tax,....)

=$34457+tax and license

Option C: Lease

$1999 down plus tax and license ($3300-$3700 total based on where you live)

36 mon lease, 12k miles/year

$555+tax

residual:$17,095

24 mon lease, 12k miles/year

$579+tax

residual: $21,917

New 2019 SV Plus (62kw, 230 mile average) with mats and splash guards

total MSRP : $39,795

Leaf loyalty  price: $37,368

Option A: Purchase

$37368 -$1000 instant rebate =$36368+taxes and license. Available 0% apr for 36 mon, 0.9% for 60 months.  claim $7500 fed rebate next year

= net cost: $28,868.

Option B: Lease to purchase before 1st lease payment is due . all rebates claimed upfront.

$37368 -$7850 lease rebate +lease fees (acquisition fee, cap reduction tax,....)

=$30,490+tax and license

Option C: Lease

$1999 down plus tax and license ($3300-$3700 total based on where you live)

36 mon lease, 12k miles/year

$479+tax

residual:$15,918

24 mon lease, 12k miles/year

$469/mon+tax

residual: $20,693

2019 Leaf S plus will not be available until May 2019 (late april maybe)

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I like that the salesperson demonstrates the typical ignorance of the difference between kW and kWh.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The auto industry messed up by not specifying battery packs in megajoules imo.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

LRADIKAL posted:

All 2019 Nissan LEAF Models Explained: https://youtu.be/wrhd3nXuIFQ

Understandable presentation on the leaf trim/range options.

Here's the estimates the salesman sent me (I have great credit)

This is super useful. Are you cross shopping at all (Bolt/ Model 3) ?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
More like model 3/leaf...

The fact that Leaf still gets the full $7500 plus the new info that they are offering me another 1500 for loyalty PLUS those crazy low interest rates without having to try from a bank really has me leaning. I think the leaf looks better than the bolt, too!

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know why volt-ampere isn't used instead of watt in chargers, btw?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Does anyone know why volt-ampere isn't used instead of watt in chargers, btw?

California knows how to party
In the city of L.A
In the city of good ol' Watts

Thats why.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Pretty sure it's because VA is used by the industry to describe power capacity without regard to power factor, batteries are DC hence no power factor hence watts. It doesn't really matter to anyone who's not an EE since 1kw=1kVA in terms of units.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Lightning Strike unveiling is on Thursday. https://electrek.co/2019/03/24/lightning-strike-electric-motorcycle-expect/

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I'm rather excited for that.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
One benefit of EV motorcycles is that you almost never truly get ICE'd.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
Where would one purchase or service a lightening? Are they using the Tesla distribution model? I at least know where one Zero dealer is.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Model Y prices just went up $1k across all configs.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Ulf posted:

One benefit of EV motorcycles is that you almost never truly get ICE'd.

Electric vehicles and vanity plates go together like peas and carrots. :rolleyes:

It's like the 2010's version of the boomer yachts with cheesy names I remember in the 90's.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I think you're obligated by law to have some kind of electric pun in your boat name if you buy a Duffy boat (electric boats you see everywhere in places like Balboa Island)

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
My boat name is Watts Amping.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

BloodBag posted:

Electric vehicles and vanity plates go together like peas and carrots. :rolleyes:
If I could fit the following on my license plate I would:

• yes, it's electric
  • about 100 miles
  • about an hour and a half
  • way too much

but only the first one fit.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Ulf posted:

If I could fit the following on my license plate I would:

• yes, it's electric
  • about 100 miles
  • about an hour and a half
  • way too much

but only the first one fit.

I would add "no, it's automatic"

I get asked a lot about the Volt what happens when the battery runs out. People seem to think you have to pull over and flip some switches or something to make it run on gas.

My own mother included; She drove it this weekend and called me while she was driving down the interstate asking what she needed to do because it was about ready to run out of battery.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

stevewm posted:

I would add "no, it's automatic"

I get asked a lot about the Volt what happens when the battery runs out. People seem to think you have to pull over and flip some switches or something to make it run on gas.

My own mother included; She drove it this weekend and called me while she was driving down the interstate asking what she needed to do because it was about ready to run out of battery.

I think the weirdest question I get is "does it have one of those things where the engine shuts off when you stop?"

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Lightning Strike specs leaked (but not body style and shape, as it's based on a test mule)

https://electrek.co/2019/03/25/lightning-strike-electric-motorcycle-specs-leaked/

18 kWh, belt drive, DC charging. Yes!

AC charging says it's 3.3 kW that can charge the bike 0-95 in 3.5 hours... Either that number has stuck in the marketing material while they changed the spec or the cheapest version has a smaller battery. 12 kW AC charging option available, but that lump of iron is obviously not required or desired when you can DC charge on the road.

If they have some trick anti spin as well, this is a winner config, but I bet it will be at a higher price than announced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MomJeans420 posted:

I think you're obligated by law to have some kind of electric pun in your boat name if you buy a Duffy boat (electric boats you see everywhere in places like Balboa Island)

Blue Smoke on the Water