Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Can we talk about how disgusting cruise ships are and how they pollute so heavily and are filled with old rich boomers? They're truly the worst and are very OSHA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Why? I think you pretty much covered it there.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

Can we talk about how disgusting cruise ships are and how they pollute so heavily and are filled with old rich boomers? They're truly the worst and are very OSHA.

Torpedo cruise lines.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I would actually be interested in an effortpost on the various problems with cruise ships for those who don't know much about them.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Luneshot posted:

I would actually be interested in an effortpost on the various problems with cruise ships for those who don't know much about them.

You know how humans are unclean monsters? Cruise ships are full of them to the point where they regularly have outbreaks of diseases that only come about when people basically poo poo in their hands and then touch food with their poo poo covered hands.

That alone sums up why anyone who wants to go on a cruise is a horrible poo poo monster.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

jobson groeth posted:

You know how humans are unclean monsters? Cruise ships are full of them to the point where they regularly have outbreaks of diseases that only come about when people basically poo poo in their hands and then touch food with their poo poo covered hands.

Hey now -- let's be realistic. The organism most commonly implicated in cruise ship gastrointestinal outbreaks, norovirus, can survive on hard surfaces for weeks, is transmissible by aerosol, and is so contagious that as few as three individual viral particles can start an infection. You absolutely don't have to be making GBS threads on your hands to transmit it. Just walking through a bathroom where someone was making GBS threads or puking explosively in one stall is enough to get you. In one case, a woman threw up at a table in the corner of a restaurant and within three days 52 other people who were in the dining room at the time had also contracted the illness.

It is truly a miracle of efficiency

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

well i know who i'm voting for in 2020

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Former DILF posted:

Norovirus gets poo poo done.

Literally.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Sagebrush posted:

Hey now -- let's be realistic. The organism most commonly implicated in cruise ship gastrointestinal outbreaks, norovirus, can survive on hard surfaces for weeks, is transmissible by aerosol, and is so contagious that as few as three individual viral particles can start an infection. You absolutely don't have to be making GBS threads on your hands to transmit it. Just walking through a bathroom where someone was making GBS threads or puking explosively in one stall is enough to get you. In one case, a woman threw up at a table in the corner of a restaurant and within three days 52 other people who were in the dining room at the time had also contracted the illness.

So what check keeps it from spreading uncontrollably?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Former DILF posted:

It's tempting, but Giant Meteor 2020 still has my vote.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Lazyhound posted:

So what check keeps it from spreading uncontrollably?

It's not a very long-lived infection, and people who are exploding fluids out both ends dozens of times a day tend to be incapacitated enough that they don't go to work and infect their whole office like they do when they have the flu.

In an environment where there are lots of people in close quarters, like a cruise ship or an elementary school or the republican national convention, it does spread quite uncontrollably. The only way to really stop transmission is quarantine.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

It's not a very long-lived infection, and people who are exploding fluids out both ends dozens of times a day tend to be incapacitated enough that they don't go to work and infect their whole office like they do when they have the flu.

In an environment where there are lots of people in close quarters, like a cruise ship or an elementary school or the republican national convention, it does spread quite uncontrollably. The only way to really stop transmission is quarantine.

Or if you are in the cruise industry, encourage everyone to walk around 24x7 coated in Purell.

That won't do it either but like airport security it helps everyone feel better, and provides for handy scapegoats ("I bet that poo poo-handed fuckhead didn't slather his body with it like he was told!" and so on).

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I'm sure the ship staff are more concerned with catching an STD than the turd-cyclone virus.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Sagebrush posted:

one of these things is not like the other

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

schmug posted:

How are they contradicting each other?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Norovirus is like a chemical weapon.

If you’re anywhere near it, you’re hosed, but anyone dealing it isn’t going to be in a condition to do so for long.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

schmug posted:

Can survive on hard surfaces for weeks doesn't contradict it not being a long-lived infection

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Icon Of Sin posted:

Hitting the waves head-on is better for everyone. Ships can pitch up and down easier than they can roll side to side, easing their risk of capsize. Having said that, those waves have to be goddamn monstrous to roll that ship around :stare: I was on a cruise ship going through ~25ft seas and could still walk a reasonably straight line down the hallways, we didn’t get to where the furniture was sliding around though.

That's because your boat had a working engine to run the stabilizers

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Norovirus is like a chemical weapon.

If you’re anywhere near it, you’re hosed, but anyone dealing it isn’t going to be in a condition to do so for long.

Really the one saving grace of norovirus, the thing that prevents it from being a constant pandemic, is that it's so violent and nasty (yet mostly harmless as long as you stay hydrated) that even the assholes who regularly come into work/school all snotted up and spewing germs are too wiped out to leave their houses. Anyone who shares a household, and especially a bathroom, with an infected person will probably also get sick -- but they too will be too incapacitated to go out in public and it self-limits.

There's a couple of days' incubation period from infection to first symptoms, so sometimes it'll sneak up on someone and they puke all over the school auditorium or the cruise ship dining hall, and then yep everyone in the room is hosed. But most of them self-quarantine as well, so they're not likely to infect any of their other social groups unless it also sneaks up on them, and so on.

It rips through any closed population like wildfire though. One of my cousin's babies brought a norovirus home from daycare and within a week their entire extended family of 30+ people had caught it because they all kept showing up at each other's houses with soup or whatever. No one is safe

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 24, 2019

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
There is no doubt in my mind that people in the full grip of it will still get their rear end on the cruise ship because they paid good money for it and aren't going to miss the trip.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
And I'm sure they treat things differently but the people letting you on the cruise ship don't give a poo poo either. Their hard limit for pregnant women is like 6months- any bit over and you're denied entry. My wife was something like two weeks over and we had to forge papers to get on- stupidly we left the original paper from the doctor in the file and the dude checking us in was like "ok, which one of these dates do you want to use?"

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

On one hand, cruise ships are bad. On the other hand, they're a good way to transport drugs internationally. So, you really can't say.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

xtal posted:

On one hand, cruise ships are bad. On the other hand, they're a good way to transport drugs internationally. So, you really can't say.

Despite what you may have heard, I can not actually fit a whole tonne of cocaine up my arse.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
all that matters is that you tried your best

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

jobson groeth posted:

Despite what you may have heard, I can not actually fit a whole tonne of cocaine up my arse.

How much were you able to? This is important.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

That's because your boat had a working engine to run the stabilizers

The Norwegian ship also had to drop her anchor due to the vicinity of the coast to where the storm winds were blowing so she's not even freely rolling with the waves.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

sticksy posted:

How much were you able to? This is important.

Why? How much you got? :wink:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/Aw4yDiv.mp4

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/CmQkjYl.mp4

Question about this: this kills the plane, right? I mean, everyone got out, the pilots did a great job to bring it down safely, but after the grinding, sparks and fire, that airframe has to be hosed, surely.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Memento posted:

https://i.imgur.com/CmQkjYl.mp4

Question about this: this kills the plane, right? I mean, everyone got out, the pilots did a great job to bring it down safely, but after the grinding, sparks and fire, that airframe has to be hosed, surely.

https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19990817-1

Aircraft damage: Damaged beyond repair

https://www.ntsb.gov/about/employment/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief2.aspx?ev_id=20001212X19549&ntsbno=LAX99FA272&akey=1

Owner still took it home though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzxTMDpLOvQ

HarmB fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 24, 2019

schmug
May 20, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

How are they contradicting each other?

They don't. I'm retarded with no reading comprehension at times..

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Sagebrush posted:

Really the one saving grace of norovirus, the thing that prevents it from being a constant pandemic, is that it's so violent and nasty (yet mostly harmless as long as you stay hydrated) that even the assholes who regularly come into work/school all snotted up and spewing germs are too wiped out to leave their houses. Anyone who shares a household, and especially a bathroom, with an infected person will probably also get sick -- but they too will be too incapacitated to go out in public and it self-limits.

There's a couple of days' incubation period from infection to first symptoms, so sometimes it'll sneak up on someone and they puke all over the school auditorium or the cruise ship dining hall, and then yep everyone in the room is hosed. But most of them self-quarantine as well, so they're not likely to infect any of their other social groups unless it also sneaks up on them, and so on.

It rips through any closed population like wildfire though. One of my cousin's babies brought a norovirus home from daycare and within a week their entire extended family of 30+ people had caught it because they all kept showing up at each other's houses with soup or whatever. No one is safe

Just prior to Thanksgiving, I had just gotten out of the hospital after three days being treated for a making GBS threads/vomiting lower GI infection. My kids had all come home for the holiday, and my wife (who works at a local HS) picked up Norovirus, and (I think) transmitted it to me while still at the hospital. Came home, and yep, within 24 hours I was trying to puke out my entire GI tract every 10 minutes on the hour. I was like, jfc, I was just dehydrated, and borderline kidney failure, and now this. Every single one of my kids got it, in repetition, roughly 24 hours apart. Needless to say, we "quarantined" in our house, away from the relatives, and no Turkey was eaten by anyone.

That's my norovirus story, and oh, I live about an hour away from Norwalk, OH where it was first isolated, I guess.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
My norovirus story involved making the wrong split second decision when having to decide whether to put my face or my rear end into the toilet first when I had to violently puke and poo poo at the same time, so I ended up painting the wall behind me with poo poo every time I heaved into the toilet.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

:magical:

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

Hitting the waves head-on is better for everyone. Ships can pitch up and down easier than they can roll side to side, easing their risk of capsize. Having said that, those waves have to be goddamn monstrous to roll that ship around :stare: I was on a cruise ship going through ~25ft seas and could still walk a reasonably straight line down the hallways, we didn’t get to where the furniture was sliding around though.

Your ship would've had big old fin stabilisers, the effect of which is highly related to the speed of the ship through the water. For an anchored ship they do diddly. Doesn't really take much for big ships to get a decent roll on.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Imagined posted:

My norovirus story involved making the wrong split second decision when having to decide whether to put my face or my rear end into the toilet first when I had to violently puke and poo poo at the same time, so I ended up painting the wall behind me with poo poo every time I heaved into the toilet.

A bathroom where you can't sit on the toilet while vomiting in the sink is just faulty design.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Grab the waste basket and sit your rear end on the toilet

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Saukkis posted:

A bathroom where you can't sit on the toilet while vomiting in the sink is just faulty design.
I prefer having the bathtub or shower next to the toilet. Larger target, easier to reach, usually easier to clean up any "overspray" in the surrounding area.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

WTF

https://citizen.co.za/news/news-africa/2105579/allegedly-suicidal-pilot-crashes-into-botswana-clubhouse-in-attempt-to-kill-wife-and-friends/

quote:

Chris Briers of Matsieng Botswana has alleged that a Kalahari Air Services pilot committed suicide in this spectacular fashion, as he was at a party, and allegedly got drunk and into a fight with his wife. He was then asked to leave.

He allegedly then went to the capital, Gaborone, stole a King Air 200 aircraft and flew it into the clubhouse with the intention of killing everyone there, as well as himself.

quote:

According to Briers, no one was injured. The pilot, however, lost his life.

Everything with big :airquote: but a plane did crash into a house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Yes. Explicitly.

They don't even do them in SERE school, and they literally torture people during that.

Yeah, we were instructed specifically on what we could and could not do to Trainees and the words 'Court Martial' were heavily stressed.