Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Kobayashi posted:

We'd have world communism by now if people would stop talking themselves in to dying for rich people's wars, which is all of them.

Even the Great Patriotic War? Smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
That's deep.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

Even the Great Patriotic War? Smh

Killing fascists is a war for us all, not the rich. For your error, I sentence you to mandatory re-education in the countryside. Hope you enjoy killing those perfidious sparrows.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have even more diabetes.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

:psyduck:
Yes the GOP will just make up a new name for anything we do and attack it, but maybe if we choose the name carefully enough they won't

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

VitalSigns posted:

:psyduck:
Yes the GOP will just make up a new name for anything we do and attack it, but maybe if we choose the name carefully enough they won't

I guess you could call my main objection to "free" that it's objectively untrue, Jesus. "Free at point of treatment" is too many words. What point are you trying to prove?

e: I even included parentheticals that indicated the futility of trying to avoid Republican slams, which you chose to ignore. Sorry if they were too vague, or whatever.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 23, 2019

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

So "free" is true unless you interpret it in a stupid way.
K.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

KingNastidon posted:

And surely no one will make note that something isn't "free" if you pay for it in taxes. You're opening yourself up to be easily mocked. Certainly we wouldn't characterize the existence of the police as "free" because we don't have to pay per service.

Using this rethoric you could say literally every govt program is being paid for by your taxes, even if the people in question don't pay enough to have actually had they're money applied to every social program. Just a bizzare way of looking at government spending all around

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

VitalSigns posted:

So "free" is true unless you interpret it in a stupid way.
K.

Yes, the extra 9% payroll tax that appears on peoples' paychecks = "free", and they won't consider that a betrayal at all. Sure. Fine. Okay. Whatever.

I support the loving policy you weirdo.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mellow Seas posted:

Yes, the extra 9% payroll tax that appears on peoples' paychecks = "free", and they won't consider that a betrayal at all. Sure. Fine. Okay. Whatever.

Then stop trying to undermine it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The police are free though?

Even if you pay zero taxes the police still protect* you

*Or murder you

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

I guess you could call my main objection to "free" that it's objectively untrue, Jesus. "Free at point of treatment" is too many words. What point are you trying to prove?

e: I even included parentheticals that indicated the futility of trying to avoid Republican slams, which you chose to ignore. Sorry if they were too vague, or whatever.

Mellow Seas posted:

Its free in the same way people call fire service as free. Or parking in front of their house as free. Or free public education. Or free water fountains.

None of them are costless, but all of them are free at point of use. So call them free.

Republican attacks on "free college" and "free healthcare" aren't as effective as you might imagine, doubly so when Democrats embrace the label rather than run away from it.

"Hell yes, we want your kids to go to school for free, they want to bilk you for every dollar you have!" ~ Smart Dems

We can create an America where you don't have to hand over your credit card when you get your life saved in a hospital just like you don't have to hand over your credit card when you get your live saved in a fire. It is foolish to run away from that positive vision of the future.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kobayashi posted:

Then stop trying to undermine it.

Bernie is never, ever going to utter the words "free healthcare" so I don't see why you think I should. Oh no, I'm going to scare some of crazed leftists in a left wing thread on a left wing forum not to vote for Bernie by saying "it's not free"? You have no actual concern here, you're just being a dick.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i guess national parks are the only actually free program, since homeless people can sleep in them

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mellow Seas posted:

Medicare is the most popular insurance program in America, have you ever wondered what the FICA line on your paycheck means?

Google it, it's gonna blow your mind man

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have literally no idea why I'm being attacked.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Mellow Seas posted:

Bernie is never, ever going to utter the words "free healthcare" so I don't see why you think I should. Oh no, I'm going to scare some of crazed leftists in a left wing thread on a left wing forum not to vote for Bernie by saying "it's not free"? You have no actual concern here, you're just being a dick.

I know all the leftists are just super stoked for candidates like Kamala the cop , Warren the capitalist defender , butt the ex military dude who has problems with Chelsea Manning’s pardon , and everybody else who sucks except Bernie . If we don’t nominate Bernie, the election is lost 100 percent

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Your relentlessly stupid arguments might be a contributing factor, you could stop

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mellow Seas posted:

lol

I'm being attacked

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pulcinella di Bund posted:

I know all the leftists are just super stoked for candidates like Kamala the cop , Warren the capitalist defender , butt the ex military dude who has problems with Chelsea Manning’s pardon , and everybody else who sucks except Bernie . If we don’t nominate Bernie, the election is lost 100 percent

What does that even have to do with the conversation we're having, and what does it have to do with me, who is a Bernie Sanders supporter?

e: If one of the other designated "centrist" punching bags could step in and feed these guys, please do; I'm gonna step away for a little while.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

the taxes you pay go to multiple different functions and programs and singling out one program to say "you're gonna pay for this one!!!" is weird

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Pulcinella di Bund posted:

You mean the Bernie who lost to Hillary Clinton of all people? That one? Hmm...

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I think the funniest part about this is that Medicare has premiums, deductibles, and co-pays so it's actually not free anyway and would be called neolib shillery if someone proposed it today

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

bird cooch posted:

Yes Bernie the one who would have won against Trump

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

bird cooch posted:

yes , the very same Bernie. :hai:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Refusing to say that we should have free programs because Republicans might attack is bad advice plain and simple.

Embracing the good that free programs do is the way forward.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

I think the funniest part about this is that Medicare has premiums, deductibles, and co-pays so it's actually not free anyway and would be called neolib shillery if someone proposed it today

No it wouldn't be, because it wasn't deliberately designed to be inferior to private insurance to ensure "competition" like neolib shillery inevitably is

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

bird cooch posted:

Hillary Clinton isn't running. Thank gods

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Hillary Clinton isn't running. Thank gods

It feels weird to quote somebody quoting me to show me support.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

bird cooch posted:

It feels weird to quote somebody quoting me to show me support.

That's deep.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

That's deep.

Word.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Refusing to say that we should have free programs because Republicans might attack is bad advice plain and simple.

The issue isn't whether republicans will attack "free." They'll attack anything. It's attacking any democratic candidate that chooses to use accessible or affordable instead of free because people interpret that as a weak proposal or not being serious about the broadest implementation of M4A.

Republicans will attack the details in regards to how it's being funded. Either via lack of specifics in funding or outright falsehoods (a 9% payroll tax won't cover (free point of service healthcare for all with no quotas, unlimited access to premium care, etc) or class warfare rhetoric if there are ever funding details.

VitalSigns posted:

No it wouldn't be, because it wasn't deliberately designed to be inferior to private insurance to ensure "competition" like neolib shillery inevitably is

Idiotic. How many people 65 retirees are enrolled in private insurance given the non-competitive premiums / OOPs vs. services for Medicare?

KingNastidon fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 23, 2019

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Mellow Seas posted:

Help, Help, i'm being repressed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8ukak8P2vY

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

KingNastidon posted:

The issue isn't whether republicans will attack "free." They'll attack anything. It's attacking any democratic candidate that chooses to use accessible or affordable instead of free because people interpret that as a weak proposal or not being serious about the broadest implementation of M4A.

Republicans will attack the details in regards to how it's being funded. Either via lack of specifics in funding or outright falsehoods (a 9% payroll tax won't cover (free point of service healthcare for all with no quotas, unlimited access to premium care, etc) or class warfare rhetoric if there are ever funding details.

But the real question to ask yourself is why care what Republican attacks are? The only reason to care is as their able to drive the narrative.

The establishment media is a ratings beast and social media requires the extraordinary to breakthrough. So by embracing transformative plans with material gains for the vast majority of Americans, stops mattering what their attacks on funding are, they will have lost the narrative.

Candidates must run on the transformative vision of the world required for this nation to survive or they will be crushed by either the reality of their limited vision or fantasy that others produce.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The second world war, maybe the first Gulf War but yea, not any examples afterwards that I can think of. And both of those examples featured a huge coalition, clearly defined goals, and nations invading other nation states and not “global power decides to intervene in internal civil war”

restoration of aristide in haiti after he had been overthrown by a coup with possible US backing, whoopsiedoodle, and before he was overthrown in a coup in 2004 with possible US backing , possibly the hilariously illegal invasion of grenada

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
'I have literally no idea why I'm being attacked' I shout as I'm dragged out of the deli with my pants around my ankles

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

lol... that's hardly "seizing the means"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Chilichimp posted:

lol... that's hardly "seizing the means"

It's a good start though.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Majorian posted:

It's a good start though.

If by start you mean, the government would be a competitor in the marketplace to help bring down the cost of drugs, then yeah.

It's functionally the same thing as introducing a public option in health insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Trabisnikof posted:

Also Republicans know this and specifically attack literally everything Democrats do as hard as they possibly can, and the Democrat response is to desperately consider 'how can we please these people?' harder than they do for literally everyone else including their own voters