Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The way my flight surgeon put it is "the FAA doesn't care about most of your medical history unless you crash your plane, and then they care about everything in your medical history."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

rldmoto posted:

I live down in Key West, and I'd say that the area from Miami to Key West is hands down my least favorite part of America. For a frame of reference, I like North Carolina.

Small world! I live in NC.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I'm super happy about the fact that I've never set foot in Florida. When people ask me about my accomplishments and bucket lists I usually put never having gone to Florida near the top of that list.

Remember that decade old Patton Oswalt joke about how the only reason you should ever visit Florida is to identify your daughter's body? That joke was too kind on Florida, we have ample evidence in the years since that in fact Florida is far worse than even that joke would lead you to believe.

Florida. Not even once.

If you're from Florida and you hear this you probably assume that I am a gatorator and I just hate the bulldawgs or whatever the dumb local sports teams are and I can assure you nothing is farther from the truth, in fact most of the world tries to avoid the entire Southeast entirely merely because it is near Florida.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Mar 22, 2019

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Which part of NC is very important. I’ll throw out that Eastern NC is the worst.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Actually, see, he's an expert on avionics

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

Actually, see, he's an expert on avionics

QFT, except that he thinks avionics is the study of birds.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fatman1683 posted:

QFT, except that he thinks avionics is the study of birds.

I am using this as my descriptor for him from this point forward.

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

which parts of NC this is important

lol at any man who claims love for lumberton

Lumberton? I'm not trying to get stabbed, man.

Rolo posted:

Small world! I live in NC.

I think we've talked about this in the past? Maybe. I have a house near KSOP and kept my plane at BQ1.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Animal posted:

Find ‘Cilantro cafeteria’ (5891 NW 36th St, Virginia Gardens, FL 33166) near the Boeing and Atlas training centers, 5-10 minute walk but be careful not to get killed by crazy drivers crossing the avenue. It’s a small place.

Ask for the vaca frita with rice and beans and fried plantains.

You are welcome.

Goddamn truth right here. Only way I got through 3 months on 36th street. That and the gigantic tab I racked up at Miller’s ale house.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Private Pilot general airman knowledge pop quiz time so that I might settle an argument in-office I haven't wanted to pick yet:

I'm a private pilot and I want to go on a trip with a friend. My friend is so blown away that I asked them to go that they want to chip in for the trip. The trip, all of which (fuel, oil, rental, ramp fees), costs $500. I can collect no more than the pro rata share, which is...

A) $250
B) $499

One of the above is my answer, the other is the answer my coworker has been telling prospective students.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
$250

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Pro-rata means cost/participants. So 500/2 = 250. Pilot pays all rounding errors.

rldmoto posted:

I think we've talked about this in the past? Maybe. I have a house near KSOP and kept my plane at BQ1.

This is definitely the bad part.

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 23, 2019

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Yeah,"A" is 100% the correct answer.

However, if you're a Silicon Valley tech-bro, you can argue "B", on the basis of "I created an Uber-airplane app! It's gonna disrupt airlines! Rules don't apply to me!"

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

azflyboy posted:

However, if you're a Silicon Valley tech-bro, you can argue "B", on the basis of "I created an Uber-airplane app! It's gonna disrupt airlines! Rules don't apply to me!"

Then Air Wagner augers in with 5 people in back who can’t believe the deal they got on their flight.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

Private Pilot general airman knowledge pop quiz time so that I might settle an argument in-office I haven't wanted to pick yet:

I'm a private pilot and I want to go on a trip with a friend. My friend is so blown away that I asked them to go that they want to chip in for the trip. The trip, all of which (fuel, oil, rental, ramp fees), costs $500. I can collect no more than the pro rata share, which is...

A) $250
B) $499

One of the above is my answer, the other is the answer my coworker has been telling prospective students.

phone up the FAA and find out!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

azflyboy posted:

My answer was A. My coworker who came to us from part 121 but has private themselves has been telling people B.

I just wanted to make totally sure the interpretation of the regs I got in Private Pilot Ground School 14 years ago was the correct one, especially since that aspect of it was one of the things I originally found the most interesting. I can't wait to see how they try to tell me I'm wrong next week.

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Pro-rata means cost/participants. So 500/2 = 250. Pilot pays all rounding errors.

This is definitely the bad part.

Whaaaaaaaaat? The bad part is the stretch between Ft Bragg and SC. We are only slightly inside the okay area. Granted, the westernmost part and the easternmost part are the best parts, but the north of the Piedmont area isn't so bad.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Is it just me, or is a regional FO sitting in the crew room doing a Microsoft Flight Simulator version of a flight at their airline a little weird?

"I'm gonna simulate doing work while I'm at work!"

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I love when my buddy, who is into sims, asks me about if I’m into flight sims.

I worked at FlightSafety. Fuuuuuuuck no.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

azflyboy posted:

Is it just me, or is a regional FO sitting in the crew room doing a Microsoft Flight Simulator version of a flight at their airline a little weird?

I completely lost any and all interest in flight sims once I started flying professionally.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Update: this guy is doing virtual airline stuff, so he's determined to make his downtime at work as much like work as possible.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 24, 2019

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

azflyboy posted:

https://i.imgur.com/YOBbBhS_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Meh, I still do some flight sim from time to time. Yeah I fly for work, but I don't get to take a Twin Otter into St. Barts on a regular basis, or shoot an instrument approach to minimums into Castlegar, or any of that stuff, so sim can still be fun and challenging.

Regarding cost-sharing, not only may costs only be split, but in Canada specifically, you cannot split the cost of the aircraft rental -- only fuel, oil and applicable fees charged against the aircraft for the flight. So I would argue that, in Canada at least, (A) would also be incorrect since you specified that the cost of the flight included rental. You are only allowed to split whatever portion of the rental cost covers fuel.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
What's the thought process behind going 121 vs 135? I'm coming up on that decision soon and I thought it'd be a pretty easy decision but I can't make up my mind. There are many aspects of 135 that are appealing, like cool rear end bizjets and going to different places, plus hanging onto a more GA feel than the airlines. I like XC flying and going to different FBOs and poo poo like that, but I also like job security which 121 has over 135 (right?)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Define "simulator". I would do somewhat involved flights on FS2004 to replicate real life when I was a teen (complete with downloading paint schemes, soundpacks, and a software program with AI on real flight plans). Then I started flying actual airplanes and that ended that (though I'd occasionally do stuff like fly a Caravan from TOL or Sandusky to Put-In-Bay), but I haven't played since probably 2008.

Now, if you work at a facility where you have access to FSX but it's installed on...I don't know...say, a Redbird which is FAA-approved to maintain Instrument currency and you have a set of keys and know how to operate it and get paid to do periodic inspections on it, anyway...

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

two_beer_bishes posted:

What's the thought process behind going 121 vs 135? I'm coming up on that decision soon and I thought it'd be a pretty easy decision but I can't make up my mind. There are many aspects of 135 that are appealing, like cool rear end bizjets and going to different places, plus hanging onto a more GA feel than the airlines. I like XC flying and going to different FBOs and poo poo like that, but I also like job security which 121 has over 135 (right?)
You’ve just about nailed it, sounds like you’ve got an idea of what you’re looking at.

135 is the Wild West and you’re often in no support environments. 121 is vastly more structured in all aspects.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

gently caress part 135 in the rear end. You should be asking part 91 or 121. Either go full on into darkness or join an actual civilized society where the rules actually mean something.

Edit for emphasis: I’ll quit flying if I ever have to go back to 135. It’s really that bad

Arson Daily fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 24, 2019

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
135 Pros:
-See cool places
-I almost never see the inside of a terminal. Enjoy the FBO where you get to boss airport employees around
-Usually good pay
-Probably better uniform
-Tips! Floyd Mayweather gave me like 2 grand once. 100 is average and happened about 1/3rd of 135 trips I’ve done
-Smaller fleet means knowing the pilots/planes better and seeing the same guys a lot (possible con but I liked my coworkers)
-Lots of go-and-hang-out trips. I get a ton of hiking in on corporate trips and I go to the beach about once a month year round
-I assume the planes are more fun. The Lear 60 and Falcon 50EX have been so awesome to fly. We go fast!

135 Cons:
-Maybe probably a poo poo schedule. Pop ups!
-Maybe terrible management, like seriously terrible, like try to kill you terrible
-Some rich people suck so insanely hard it will depress you
-You’re probably gonna have to clean up that piss on the toilet seat and fish the tampon out of the sink
-Enjoy prepping the plane yourself, doing all the paperwork and giving passenger briefings

gently caress 135 though, go 91.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Part 135:

either you have an awesome job

or

you work for sociopaths.

There can be no in-betweens.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I mean... yeah... pretty much

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

Part 135:

or

you work for sociopaths.

It’s this

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Animal posted:

Part 135:

or

you work for sociopaths.

word

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Thanks for the feedback! The 135 I'm considering had a good reputation, as far as I know (Pentastar), it's local, pays well, and I might have an internal recommendation. The lack of support and dealing with the rich fucks is a pretty big turnoff.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Flew the sim for the first time tonight and hot dang the 767 flies nice. :shittydog:

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Rumor that went around Toronto-area aviation community has it that the owner was teaching but didn't have the proper paperwork/insurance.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Rumor that went around Toronto-area aviation community has it that the owner was teaching but didn't have the proper paperwork/insurance.

why didn't he just pull the parachute

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

e.pilot posted:

Flew the sim for the first time tonight and hot dang the 767 flies nice. :shittydog:

It’s surprisingly nimble, isn’t it? It’s also slick as gently caress so don’t ever hesitate from using those speed brakes.

Animal fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Mar 25, 2019

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

It’s surprisingly nimble, isn’t it? It’s also slick as gently caress so don’t ever hesitate from using those speed brakes.

Slows down as bad as a 200 :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Does the 757 type rating come for "free" with the 767 type rating or are 757/767 and each individually separate ratings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

hobbesmaster posted:

Does the 757 type rating come for "free" with the 767 type rating or are 757/767 and each individually separate ratings?

They’re somehow the same type.