Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Samuringa posted:

lots of pole vaulting

Isn't that from the battle in the middle of the film, not the final one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Fangz posted:

Isn't that from the battle in the middle of the film, not the final one?

Nah the pole cats show up near the end, on the return trip.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Scrub cant even beat their own challenge

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I just rewatched Batman v Superman and had completely forgotten how whiny Batman is. But I really enjoyed the final fight after Wonder Woman turned up.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

I noticed the Billy when I was in the theater, and I figure whoever was making the comics in Mile's universe didn't know Spider-Man was called Peter, so just chose a common name.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That first Peter is the one who's done all the ridiculous marketing of himself isn't he? Spidey-Bells is sung by Chris Pine, not Jake Johnson.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
I definitely felt the fight scenes in CW were a step back and a slight disappointment after WS because of the shaly cam (I mean the hallway and Lagos fights, the airport scene was loving great despite, or perhaps because, they spent most of it intentionally ignoring that Vision existed)

For all the praise the highway scene in WS gets though, I loving LOVE the opening boat scene. That's the moment I literally sat up in my chair and thought 'Holy poo poo, Captain America.is a loving badass!' I could watch him throw that shield and kick people.into walls all day long

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
From the TV news obits it didn't seem like Peter's identity had been revealed even with all the various Spidey products out

Anyways, 4 tha haters
https://twitter.com/JohnWickMovie/status/1109470045602607105?s=19

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CityMidnightJunky posted:

I definitely felt the fight scenes in CW were a step back and a slight disappointment after WS because of the shaly cam (I mean the hallway and Lagos fights, the airport scene was loving great despite, or perhaps because, they spent most of it intentionally ignoring that Vision existed)

For all the praise the highway scene in WS gets though, I loving LOVE the opening boat scene. That's the moment I literally sat up in my chair and thought 'Holy poo poo, Captain America.is a loving badass!' I could watch him throw that shield and kick people.into walls all day long
Yeah the fight scenes in WS are why it is probably still my favorite Marvel film

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Hello, it is now canon that after Endgame, Captain America retires and starts a children's show on PBS and nobody will ever tell me otherwise.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Speaking of Captain Marvel and superheroes named Billy, I just saw Shazam! Kinda slow first act but really good once it gets going. Give it a shot!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just got back from Shazam myself. I liked it but it does a lot of things I'm predisposed to like and having a superhero movie set in Philadelphia (and very informed by Philadelphia as a city) predisposed me to liking it. It's rather slow and the action is kinda bland but I appreciate some of the things it does.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I would agree on the action. I don't think it's doing anything you haven't seen before. But it's got heart and stand firmly on the shoulders of the chemistry between the characters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Little Mac posted:

I would agree on the action. I don't think it's doing anything you haven't seen before. But it's got heart and stand firmly on the shoulders of the chemistry between the characters.

Yeah, that's basically the big selling point I think. The cast has a ton of strong chemistry together and for a movie basically mostly about kid actors that is pretty critical. Freddy steals the entire show and walks away with it though.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

bessantj posted:

I just rewatched Batman v Superman and had completely forgotten how whiny Batman is. But I really enjoyed the final fight after Wonder Woman turned up.

The opening monologue is so unintentionally hilarious. You know when the writer came up with the line "A beautiful lie", they sat back in their chair and thought "nailed it".

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

having a superhero movie set in Philadelphia (and very informed by Philadelphia as a city) predisposed me to liking it.

Does the climax feature bystanders hitting both Shazam and Sivana with batteries? :v:

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Davros1 posted:

The opening monologue is so unintentionally hilarious. You know when the writer came up with the line "A beautiful lie", they sat back in their chair and thought "nailed it".

Quite frankly the writer thought that about everything in that movie.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Shaz is at 97 tomatoes and 79 metacritics.

Are y'all early viewers critics?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They had some early public showings here in Canada, might just be a thing all over?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Fandango was offering early viewings.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

David D. Davidson posted:

Quite frankly the writer thought that about everything in that movie.

Yeah, David “MARTHA!!!” Goyer’s a hack.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Review embargo lifted an hour ago.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, David “MARTHA!!!” Goyer’s a hack.

I'd say that one is more he wrote himself into a corner and refused to admit it.
But I'd say he's less of a hack but is hired because he always finishes his scripts by the deadline whether the script's good or not. You don't work with directors like Christopher Nolan or Guillermo del Toro if they don't see something in your script.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

You don't work with directors like Christopher Nolan or Guillermo del Toro if they don't see something in your script.

No, those directors work off of his scripts because DC/Warner Brothers wanted/forced them to. Goyer has always been a hack, the quality of the films he has credits on correlates directly with the quality of the other people credited with the scripts.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Here's a fun, probably bullshit, rumor about who a (the?) villain of the Black Widow movie will be. If true it's an interesting choice, but we shall see.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
seems like that particular villain would be completely wasted against someone who isn't powered or crazy skilled like shang-chi or something

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'd say that one is more he wrote himself into a corner and refused to admit it.
But I'd say he's less of a hack but is hired because he always finishes his scripts by the deadline whether the script's good or not. You don't work with directors like Christopher Nolan or Guillermo del Toro if they don't see something in your script.

I have to wonder how much of his script actually made it into Nolan's movies. With the exception of Insomnia everything else Christopher Nolan has done has been written by himself or cowritten with his brother.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It seems pretty obvious Nolan is the kind of director who rewrites a lot of the script he gets. Which explains why some people can read his Batman films as neoconservative parables by squinting very hard and ignoring the fact that it's chock full of socially progressive liberal messaging. The neocon parts are probably what's left of Goyer's original script.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

site posted:

seems like that particular villain would be completely wasted against someone who isn't powered or crazy skilled like shang-chi or something

She is crazy skilled though, if they put him up against Shang Chi in his first outing there'd be nowhere to go but down.

I for one hope it's true and I hope they portray him the way he was circa Siege.

Pimp Seat

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 24, 2019

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

It seems pretty obvious Nolan is the kind of director who rewrites a lot of the script he gets. Which explains why some people can read his Batman films as neoconservative parables by squinting very hard and ignoring the fact that it's chock full of socially progressive liberal messaging. The neocon parts are probably what's left of Goyer's original script.

I don't think you have to squint very hard to see necon stuff. Batman reads as "proof" that the 1% can be trusted as arbitrators of justice. TDKR reimagines the Occupy movement as violent criminals, and the whole "I was born into darkness, you merely adopted it" thing that ends with Batman triumphing has always felt like it was denying appropriation (Batman Begins has a touch of that too).

Now what is debatable is intent--a whole lot of left-wingers, myself included, really like Batman, even though he is extraordinary problematic as a character. I feel like the Nolans intentionally played it up for irony and to give the character more moral ambiguity--sure, everyone freaked out when it was revealed that the NSA was conducting mass surveillance to keep an eye on terrorists, but no one blinks when Batman does it. We cheer him on.

If the Nolans were still making Batman films I wouldn't be surprised if their version of The Penguin was a violent thief that steals from the rich and redistributes the money to the poor and bears a passing resemblance to Bernie Sanders.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

site posted:

I like the character but they're overall a pretty B-tier foe, fits well into a Widow or other less powered heroes movie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

asecondduck posted:

I don't think you have to squint very hard to see necon stuff. Batman reads as "proof" that the 1% can be trusted as arbitrators of justice. TDKR reimagines the Occupy movement as violent criminals, and the whole "I was born into darkness, you merely adopted it" thing that ends with Batman triumphing has always felt like it was denying appropriation (Batman Begins has a touch of that too).

Now what is debatable is intent--a whole lot of left-wingers, myself included, really like Batman, even though he is extraordinary problematic as a character. I feel like the Nolans intentionally played it up for irony and to give the character more moral ambiguity--sure, everyone freaked out when it was revealed that the NSA was conducting mass surveillance to keep an eye on terrorists, but no one blinks when Batman does it. We cheer him on.

If the Nolans were still making Batman films I wouldn't be surprised if their version of The Penguin was a violent thief that steals from the rich and redistributes the money to the poor and bears a passing resemblance to Bernie Sanders.

See, that's what I'm talking about, that's a reading that might as well be taken from the imdb synopsis of the film. But if you get into what the movie is actually saying and couple it with what the previous 2 movies were saying that reading at best becomes muddled and at worst becomes completely overturned.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Not sure why they would use him in a Black Widow movie, but ok?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Not sure why they would use him in a Black Widow movie, but ok?

That's the thing, who would you use in a Black Widow movie? Her only even slightly known villain is the other Black Widow, and I think Disney knows audiences don't want yet another Evil Opposite villain in a Marvel film.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Is the Black Widow movie a prequel/origin story? Her villain could be Hawkeye. Or Jessica Drew, in a Spy vs Spy kinda way.

Or since this post-Fox, Omega Red.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
if u wanna know if goyer is bad or not, watch the invisible with justin chatwin lol

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lurdiak posted:

That's the thing, who would you use in a Black Widow movie? Her only even slightly known villain is the other Black Widow, and I think Disney knows audiences don't want yet another Evil Opposite villain in a Marvel film.

Have it be vs the winter soldier which then ties into Bucky captain America 4

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

See, that's what I'm talking about, that's a reading that might as well be taken from the imdb synopsis of the film. But if you get into what the movie is actually saying and couple it with what the previous 2 movies were saying that reading at best becomes muddled and at worst becomes completely overturned.

Fine, I'll bite. What are the films saying, if not "Batman is a rich fascist and if he was real you would hate him"?

(Also not trying to be a dick but I think you might have made a typo somewhere, because in your first post you said that you have to squint at the films to get that reading of it but then in your second post you say that reading is obvious?)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's not obvious, just surface level. By squinting I mean that you need to ignore a lot of other elements in the film to get to there.

Anyway let's just stick to Dark Knight Rises for a start, because that's the one with the most obvious parallels to real life politics and features the most privileged people being happy the poors are gone(and also is the sloppiest of the movies). The movie opens with a seeming peace reigning on Gotham city that has been made possible by a very vague law passed in the name of Harvey Dent that gave the police more power and increased minimum sentencing. Batman, having made himself a scapegoat to preserve Harvey Dent's legacy and keep this peace, has not been seen in years and has not been "needed" since street crime is gone.

But immediately there are complications to this: Harvey Dent was actually a crazy rear end in a top hat, at least at the end of his life. This peace is built on a lie, one that greatly troubles the conscience of Jim Gordon. There are still very dishonest people in Gotham, who are seen to be working with Bane and Talia in the second act, they're just not operating on the street level, because they're corrupt businessmen. The people in jail might not necessarily deserve to be there, which is more hinted at than stated, I'll grant you. And Catwoman spells things out pretty openly when speaking to Bruce Wayne: what the upper crust of Gotham are enjoying has come at a price the lower classes are currently paying, by being incarcerated or controlled by increased police power. Things only seem good to those sitting in their ivory towers.

Then comes Bane and his Neo League of Shadows. Bane outright declares what he is: Gotham's reckoning. The inevitable result of a corrupt oppressive structure is someone who wants to destroy it. Where Batman was a well intentioned but oft-misguided reformist, Bane is an offshoot of a group of accelerationist revolutionaries. Whereas the league of shadows wanted to hasten the inevitable collapse of Gotham to wipe it off the map and then later simply destroy it, Bane seeks to instead expose its corruption. Talia wants to blow Gotham up and she and Bane could've done so at any time, but it's important to Bane, who remembers the horrors of a secret oppressive incarceration, to first send a message to those who allowed a system as unjust as Gotham City to come to be. Rather than secretly precipitate the fall of unjust hierarchies or take out those who control them like his mentor did, Bane wants to operate in broad daylight in order to make a political point. It's why he uses Gordon's words, which are the truth, to discredit the police force.

The problem with Bane, as with the league, as with the Joker, as with those who simply profited off the unjust hierarchy, isn't their goal: it's their willingness to sacrifice the lives of innocents in pursuit of those goals. Whatever the effectiveness of Batman's attempts to reform Gotham instead of replace it, he's always been mindful of the real human cost of what he does.

Bane enlists the underclasses, the unjustly imprisoned and the oppressed to conquer Gotham. But he's not a true revolutionary trying to help these people, he wants to sacrifice all of them as a message to the world. His takeover of Gotham is a means instead of an end, which is what is problematic. It's why he is secretly making his men control these "downtrodden rising up". It's why the show trials are run by people loyal to him. Despite his desire to expose an unjust system, Bane is unwilling to be truthful about his own actions, even when he knows his death to be imminent. Deep down, he doesn't think the people can actually make the right choice, and he feels he has to mislead the world when he makes his point. He's perpetuating the mistakes of his predecessors and acting as an enlightened elite who should control the fate of others instead of a true liberator who believes in equality.

Enter... sigh Robin. Robin grew up without the privilege of Bruce Wayne and openly calls the bullshit of both Batman and Jim Gordon. He doesn't side with Bane, obviously, and he understands the need to work outside the system to try and reform it, but thinks Batman and Gordon's approaches were flawed. Batman agrees with this analysis in the end and chooses to stop being Batman, not simply for his own sake, but because he thinks that while he's done some good, his mistakes directly led to someone like Bane being able to come along and nearly undo all the good. A new generation with a less privileged perspective comes along and becomes the new Batman, whatever that Batman may be like.

In my view, the movie is a critique of both Batman's privilege and his belief that an unjust system that operates "quietly" is an acceptable one and Bane's near-nihilistic hijacking of the language of revolution that attempts to build a new system based on another lie. The elements of Batman's philosophy it approves of is his unwillingness to accept the lives of others an acceptable cost of progress, and the elements it rejects are his attempts to shape society from a position of privilege with the use of lies. The message of the film is ultimately that Bruce Wayne not being Batman is the moral choice he can make.

Now I'll admit certain elements of the film complicate my interpretation: most notably the very strange shift of the police from petty antagonists to self sacrificing heroes midway through the film, and the scene where Robin has to lie to the children to keep them from panicking, which reads as a very infantile analogy for why it was actually ok for the privileged class and the police to lie to the poors to keep society in line. But I read that more as evidence that the film's political message is clumsy and muddled rather than that it's a fully reactionary one, hence my belief that it was a reactionary neocon Goyer script that was turned into a socdem-y liberal one by Nolan's rewrites and directorial choices.

There's much to be made of the relationship between Batman and Bane as well, where Bane metaphorically challenges Batman's pain of losing his parents as motivation for being Batman. Bruce Wayne suffered a terrible tragedy, but is it really comparable to a lifetime of suffering? Can he really use his own pain as justification for his crusade when others suffer much more and don't have the resources to effect violent extralegal social upheaval like he does? He merely adopted the darkness, Bane was born to it.

I could go on, but that's what I'm saying about the reading of the films. It's not a cut and dry neocon fable and I don't think my own interpretations of the material are reaching particularly far or deliberately contrarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

Just got back from Shazam myself. I liked it but it does a lot of things I'm predisposed to like and having a superhero movie set in Philadelphia (and very informed by Philadelphia as a city) predisposed me to liking it. It's rather slow and the action is kinda bland but I appreciate some of the things it does.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, that's basically the big selling point I think. The cast has a ton of strong chemistry together and for a movie basically mostly about kid actors that is pretty critical. Freddy steals the entire show and walks away with it though.

Saw it this evening as well via the Fandango preview and largely agree with these and others' comments. To add my 2 cents:

- Freddy absolutely steals the show; I expect him to be in a lot of stuff soon a la Finn Wolfhard after Stranger Things

- Chemistry between leads was good overall, although much of the stuff between the foster family, especially in the first half, fell pretty flat for me. Them turning into the Shazam family was kinda cool, though

- Pleasantly surprised with the casting of Zach Levi - probably like most, I wasn't initially impressed but I thought he did a good job with the material he was given and was just tongue-in-cheek enough about the silliness of the concept for me to buy it

- don't know if I'd go so far as to say it looked cheap but the action and CG generally was pretty meh (plus the Wizard's hair seemed comically bad and Shazam's boots looked goofy). Didn't take away too much since it wasn't an action blockbuster but could've been better IMO

- not sure what exactly they should've cut but seemed a like 15-20 min too long for my tastes. Not terribly but could've been tighter

- thought it was kind of weird to be set during Christmas but it was released now (although it might just be because I live in Arizona now and the weather is perfect today walking into the theatre) . If nothing else, I was glad it wasn't at least primarily set in NYC for something a bit different unlike every Marvel or 90% of other movies

- I left feeling a bit conflicted about how Billy's mom was portrayed and the choices they'd made, which I'd like to think is the sign of decent writing. Ultimately I was glad he ended up in the right place with people who really cared about him

- I took my 5-year old son as he'd really enjoyed the trailers and mostly liked Justice League, BvS and WW enough. In retrospect I probably wouldn't have brought him again - it's not purely a "kids' movie" necessarily and it is PG-13 so I fault myself as a parent, not the filmmakers but given the prominence of kids featured in it, I was a bit surprised by the whole strip club thing used a couple of times, especially in a comic book movie (I'm certainly not a prude, I found it mildly humorous and chuckled however it was a pain in the rear end trying to explain the context to him and I'd guess for most kids and their parents it might be kinda awkward). But maybe that's just DC being a bit edgier.

He also found the 7 Deadly Sins monstersa bit too scary as well which I hadn't really expected based upon the marketing but that's lesson learned for me trying to take him into stuff like this earlier than reviews are released

- the overt nod to "Big" in the toy store was an amazing touch, plus the final shot with the Superman callback/cameo was pretty good, too

sticksy fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 24, 2019