Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Found a blog if you like cold war thingys: http://atomic-annhilation.blogspot.com/

dude also has a flickr

OK clearly Mechanix Illustrated is a good source:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

I love my dead, gay, atomic ekranoplan son.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

aphid_licker posted:

Frontseater to backseater: PREPARE TO REPEL BOARDERS *hefts cutlass*

I say, hully gully to you!

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This actually seems like a pretty good idea but I guess then the defending force would just throw those big tank caltrops all over the ocean + mines and poo poo.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Why *don't* we build underwater tanks...hmm

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Hauldren Collider posted:

Why *don't* we build underwater tanks...hmm

They're called submarines.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

soy posted:

This actually seems like a pretty good idea but I guess then the defending force would just throw those big tank caltrops all over the ocean + mines and poo poo.

The sea floor seems like it’d be pretty rough and slow going.

Hovercraft solved the same problem for landing vehicles rather nicely.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The number of beaches that this type of landing would be feasible is probably pretty drat small.

Also sprinkling some tank traps around in the shallows would wreak havoc on it, and if the bottom was excessively muddy etc.. Sounds like a nightmare to me.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Tanks without infantry support are as doomed as tanks parked on a ridgeline with a saudi commander, even if they are rad sea tanks

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
From the Badass Pictures thread:

ChlamydiaJones posted:

mostlygray posted:

My father in law was in the Air Force in photographic intelligence during the Vietnam war in the '60's. We went to the SAC museum together a few years ago. He had a crazy story about every plane. Too many to mention. He mostly did reviews of SR-71 photography. We watched the movie "Flight of the Intruder" together and he recognized the map that is shown in the ready room and agreed that "Yes, we bombed those places obsessively, but there was nothing there. Also, that bridge got bombed on every run and they'd have it rebuilt in a day." He had the same frustration as the pilots. Him on intelligence, them on getting their asses shot off. It was a political deal at the time.

The SR-71 in person is beautiful. One of the sexiest planes ever made. It's just a camera with an engine attached. They are bigger than you think and just scream speed when you look at them in person.

Sorry to necro this post but mostlygray doesn't accept PMs so;
My dad did a similar job to the one your father in law did, DOD, fly over photography interpretation during the Vietnam war. He sat at the desk where the mission parameters were combined with the results of the mission.
We should compare notes at some point!
If your father in law is still alive ask him if knew a guy named Gordon.

g

[edit] to add a mildly bad rear end story;
Dad was reading early satellite imagery as well but he worked at the Asia desk of DOD or something. He told a story about how the Chinese army was invading Tibet back in the early 50's, the problem was distance, logistics dictated that you had to haul your fuel with you since there was no modern infrastructure on the high plateau. They worked out that it would take something like 8 trucks loaded with fuel to get one military vehicle fully loaded with fuel at the border. That was interpreted as making it impossible for China to conduct military operations at that distance.

What the pentagon didn't know was that the Chinese were fully aware of where our satellites were, when they passed over and what they could see; once you know it's up there it's just math right?
What the Chinese didn't know was that the satellites could look backwards and not only straight down.

The Chinese government was building a pipeline to move fuel to Tibet but they only worked on it under the cover of clouds. They had a bunch of workers in a movable village next to a road and they hid pipe next to the road. As soon as the clouds rolled in they buried pipe for as long as they had cover. What my dad claims to have done is to have caught them at it by looking back under the cloud cover at a fairly high angle and seeing the workers pulling the pipe out from under cover. I guess that the satellites were taking pictures constantly at all possible angles because of the restrictions that mostlygray mentioned.

So dad communicated this and was told that it didn't matter because even if they did build a pipeline it could only pump one thing, say oil OR gas. So dad had to go to the pentagon and give a bunch of generals a briefing on how pipe works, for instance that you can run a pig down it and put fuel oil in front and something else behind. Apparently they didn't know that you could use a single pipe to move multiple fluids. Generals apparently love it when they're wrong and are corrected by some due who wasn't in uniform!
Anyway, dad was pretty cool in my book!
[/edit]

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

The latter two are basically a bust (unless you count investigations into ground drones as "baby assault tanks"), but isn't this one the point of surveillance drones and stuff like the E-8?

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010
One of the things in those articles actually got built....

https://steemit.com/technology/@alexbeyman/that-time-the-navy-built-a-giant-nuclear-powered-mech

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Leave it to the AF to make a sex bot.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

She's pretty gutsy for taking it on faith that thing won't crush her like a soda can or irradiate her into a fallout ghoul.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Phy posted:

Political officer.

"I don't care if it looks like a wedding, and neither does the state! You have your orders!"

Ah, so that's why drones have become so popular. Fewer messes in the front half of the cockpit.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Does RAM come in anti flash white? Is that not a concern with lower yield weapons, or does the thinking run that it doesn't matter if you've got a full-sized RCS when whatever might have been shooting at you is stratospheric dust?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Carth Dookie posted:

She's pretty gutsy for taking it on faith that thing won't crush her like a soda can or irradiate her into a fallout ghoul.

Still photo.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

IPCRESS posted:

Does RAM come in anti flash white? Is that not a concern with lower yield weapons, or does the thinking run that it doesn't matter if you've got a full-sized RCS when whatever might have been shooting at you is stratospheric dust?

How close do you think a stealth aircraft will be to the flash? I imagine that the stealthies aren’t the ones getting the missions that are permissive enough to allow gravity as the propulsive force for their weapons.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Murgos posted:

How close do you think a stealth aircraft will be to the flash? I imagine that the stealthies aren’t the ones getting the missions that are permissive enough to allow gravity as the propulsive force for their weapons.

I don't know, but close enough: both the F22 and F35 are claimed to be able to carry the B61 internally (though if they're actually wired to arm and release it is another question).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I doubt they'd have spent the money to redesign the case for the F-35 otherwise.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Kinda wild to think that with just a software update the F-35B will be STOVL, supersonic, stealth nuclear bomber.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

So it was intended to service those giant nuclear powered bombers that needed their own tombs to live in?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

So it was intended to service those giant nuclear powered bombers that needed their own tombs to live in?

Yeah. I like how people still thought "atomic aircraft maybe" even after it was going to require tombs and radiation-hardened mechs to service

Also, this seems the thread for this: I'm looking for information about how NEO objects are detected and how we're guarding against catastrophic impacts, and all the web sides are very...late 1990s. It's disconcerting

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Nebakenezzer posted:

Yeah. I like how people still thought "atomic aircraft maybe" even after it was going to require tombs and radiation-hardened mechs to service
There was no idea too impractical or dangerous to have money thrown at it during the Cold War so long as the proposal doc contained the phrase "millions of dead Russians"

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

IPCRESS posted:

I don't know, but close enough: both the F22 and F35 are claimed to be able to carry the B61 internally (though if they're actually wired to arm and release it is another question).

Yes, the F-35A has been cleared to carry the B61 since the Mk12 which entered "active" but limited service a few weeks ago, its been in production since October of last year.

The F-22 can carry the B83. The internal weapons bay wasn't compatible with the B61. But this MAY have changed with the Mk12.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Nebakenezzer posted:

Also, this seems the thread for this: I'm looking for information about how NEO objects are detected and how we're guarding against catastrophic impacts, and all the web sides are very...late 1990s. It's disconcerting

Here is the official stuff:

https://cneos.jpl.nasa.gov/

https://www.nasa.gov/planetarydefense/overview

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

IPCRESS posted:

Right. Amid a lot of discussion on end of life for gravity based nukes.

Even so the mod 12 enhancement basically turns it into a JDAM in capability which can be lofted 30ish miles or so. I wouldn’t expect the flash of a low yield weapon from those distances to have any serious thermal component outside the realm normal operating limits.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

soy posted:

How would they be powered? Huge electric batteries? Nuclear reactors?

How would they navigate under the water? Presumably they're coming from over the horizon, so they'd require something to keep them lined up on the right beach over the course of a dozen miles or so.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

hobbesmaster posted:

Hovercraft solved the same problem for landing vehicles rather nicely.

Hovercraft are fine for landing heavy loads against beaches with absolutely no defenses.

While, yes, Iwo Jima style assaults against heavily defended beaches are not feasible today, you still want something with a little protection.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I have a feeling the future of "landing on a contested beach" might turn out to be blowing the hell out of the radar that can see a hundred plus miles and the anti-ship missiles that can shoot over a hundred miles and blowing the hell out of the inland base/police post where the enemy could marshal and then landing on a beach that might have had a park ranger or police officer on it.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

mlmp08 posted:

I have a feeling the future of "landing on a contested beach" might turn out to be blowing the hell out of the radar that can see a hundred plus miles and the anti-ship missiles that can shoot over a hundred miles and blowing the hell out of the inland base/police post where the enemy could marshal and then landing on a beach that might have had a park ranger or police officer on it.

It seems like it might just be easier to pay the 15 bucks for the picnic site rental?

:shrug:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Schadenboner posted:

It seems like it might just be easier to pay the 15 bucks for the picnic site rental?

:shrug:

Even with the military discount, maximum 6 people per camping site, and those fees add up when devildogs start littering and making GBS threads everywhere.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Plus they always upsell you with crap. 10 bucks for an umbrella. 7 bucks for a scoop of ice cream on the boardwalk. It adds up.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

mlmp08 posted:

There's also "landing before the really war starts."

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Murgos posted:

Right. Amid a lot of discussion on end of life for gravity based nukes.

Even so the mod 12 enhancement basically turns it into a JDAM in capability which can be lofted 30ish miles or so. I wouldn’t expect the flash of a low yield weapon from those distances to have any serious thermal component outside the realm normal operating limits.

Well considering the Mod 12 can be cranked down to a "mere" 0.3 KT. Means a blast radius about the size of Central Park...

The current JDAM is 15 miles, and if its the JDAM-ER, a 45 mile range (it was originally 35 miles, but the "kit" nature of the new JDAM led to rather easy updates even in the field).

EvilMerlin fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 25, 2019

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cessna posted:

How would they be powered? Huge electric batteries? Nuclear reactors?

How would they navigate under the water? Presumably they're coming from over the horizon, so they'd require something to keep them lined up on the right beach over the course of a dozen miles or so.

I have no idea, and if I suggest anything you all will probably laugh at my horrible goon ideas.

That said, a bunch of tanks suddenly appearing on your beach with little warning seems fairly bad rear end. Plus you can't really shoot anti-tank rounds into the water very well while they're approaching.

I mean they actually did this with those weird Sherman on D-day and it kinda worked, except for the ones where they crew horribly drowned because a slight cross-current tipped over their breathing tube thing.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

A tank on a beach is a hell of a target for even RPGs. Once they’re out of the water it’s just unsupported armor.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

is it just me or is the jdam like the one cool and good thing the mic has done to use old stuff rather than just make something completely new?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Cyrano4747 posted:

A tank on a beach is a hell of a target for even RPGs. Once they’re out of the water it’s just unsupported armor.

What if the tanks flew on to the beach?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

soy posted:

That said, a bunch of tanks suddenly appearing on your beach with little warning seems fairly bad rear end. Plus you can't really shoot anti-tank rounds into the water very well while they're approaching.

I don't disagree, but there's a question of "how much warning" vs. "how impractical are the vehicles."

Currently the USMC uses these things as amphibious assault vehicles:

That's me, I was a crewman on those things in the 80s / 90's. They're big and slow, but they carry a LOT of Marines. They're never going to surprise anyone, but a MAGTF has the ability to drop a whole pile of angry jarheads on a beach using those AAVs and helicopters in a relatively brief period of time. We're talking about making a beach go from "deserted" to "held by the USMC" in a matter of hours.

The real trick to taking a beach isn't being invisible. That's something the SEALs already do, sort-of. They have those cool little underwater sub things that can move a guy with scuba tanks along pretty quickly. They can get a bunch of highly capable fighters from ship (or submarine) to shore without breaking the surface.

What you really want is speed, something that move a LOT of troops fast. Back in the 90's they tried developing these:

They could carry a lot of troops and move pretty quickly - but they didn't work well and ended up getting cancelled. The other option, as mentioned above, is hovercraft, which can't take ANY enemy fire, which limits the number of beaches they can threaten.

What the USMC wants is some sort of fast amphibious assault vehicle, something that can move through the water quickly but still operate ashore. Unfortunately everything that makes a good armored vehicle makes it a bad boat, and vice versa - so they're stuck in development hell.

In the meantime they're starting to build these, which aren't particularly good, but they will buy time until they can make the fast vehicle they need.