Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Those havocs look wonderful, and I want to combine that eye of Horus torso with the 30k kits. I’ve got mk3 armor on the way to try out with some shadowbane dudes, but I’m gonna need a lot more once those havocs drop 😭

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well apparently the Vigilus book ends in a massive predictable wet fart. Don't know why I expected anything different.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Hustlin Floh posted:

Well apparently the Vigilus book ends in a massive predictable wet fart. Don't know why I expected anything different.

Really impressed we've managed to streamline the fan disappointment into happening fully a week before the product even comes out.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Hustlin Floh posted:

Source?

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Yeah if it's the ones on /r 40k lore then I'm in agreement.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Trust your heart.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/b4lwue/some_very_rough_step_by_step_spoilers_of_vigilus/

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

The memes will never die, sigh.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

In conclusion, nothing changed

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Really growing to appreciate the military narratives in the Imperial Armour books, which could end in interesting ways because they were fought by nobodies over poo poo that doesn’t matter.

(Badab War aside.)

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Can Pask take the Commissar Tank stratagem? As-written I’d guess he could but maybe him being a character prevents it?

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
Apparently the new 30k book has a reference to Malal, I’m really intrigued as to where they might go with that.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Apparently the new 30k book has a reference to Malal, I’m really intrigued as to where they might go with that.

Probably nowhere since that still belongs to someone else as I recall.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Cooked Auto posted:

Probably nowhere since that still belongs to someone else as I recall.

Well that’s what I’m saying, it all vanished in some early IP/dissolve in writing partners but now it’s showing up again. As are squats in Necromunda. As are rad noise marine throwbacks. At the least it might get a fun miniature somewhere as a head nod, and that’s cool.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Well that’s what I’m saying, it all vanished in some early IP/dissolve in writing partners but now it’s showing up again. As are squats in Necromunda. As are rad noise marine throwbacks. At the least it might get a fun miniature somewhere as a head nod, and that’s cool.

There have been references to Malal in the past two decades, but in all instances the name used was Malice.

Not to say you're definitely wrong. The value of the IP rights to Malal divorced from the rest of 40k/WFB is probably zero. If they can get the former writers who created it onboard for beer/plastic crack/a small amount of money, it would be lovely.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Maybe you should smelt your own plot.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

The big E dies (and gets resurrected as the Star Child). The Imperium of Man splits into two. GW brings out a new Guard plastic army. Then new Plastic Sisters. Chaos is triumphant!

Then all the Chaos gods get killed and replaced with 8 new ones to represent the 8 pointed star..

They have Trynaids fighting each other, so it's about time the 50% of players who play Space Marines have a reason to fight each other too.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The 30k demons list is extremely customizable and there are no specific, named types of demons. Lesser demons are used to represent bloodletters, demonettes, plaguebearers, horrors, formless masses of pseudopods, etc., etc. There are beasts, cavalry, and more on up to demon lords and even gargantuan demons. You can freely mix and match a variety of upgrades in each unit to make whatever the gently caress you want and you're not held to the established types. This is to help represent both that the Imperium has no idea what the gently caress any of this poo poo is and that the chaos powers are more unified and willing to work together during the Heresy. It loving rules and I can't wait to see some of the armies people come up with.

Additionally, there are six dominions that are used to shape the army further. These represent undivided, the four gods, and a sneaky reference to Malal. His is especially weird in that it gives everything Hatred (psykers and demons). Demon armies can also replace their primary objectives with one themed to their dominion. Malal's is that the army gains a victory point for every enemy psyker or demon unit slain and loses a victory point for every friendly demon or psyker destroyed. If, at the end of the game, that player has exactly zero victory points, they automatically win. It'd probably only work against another demon army, but this poo poo is hilarious. I really hope someone goes insane and makes actual models of the old Malal demons.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Schadenboner posted:

Can Pask take the Commissar Tank stratagem? As-written I’d guess he could but maybe him being a character prevents it?

You used to be able too but idk if it got FAQ'd

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was looking into more lore, and hadn't realized that there is lore written for WH40K that goes back at least 20,000+ years. :eyepop: This seems a little excessive, is this all in the books? I know GWS has a 30,000 version of the table top game. But there were apparently conflicts bigger than even the Horus Heresy and take place before that war.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

I said come in! posted:

I was looking into more lore, and hadn't realized that there is lore written for WH40K that goes back at least 20,000+ years. :eyepop: This seems a little excessive, is this all in the books? I know GWS has a 30,000 version of the table top game. But there were apparently conflicts bigger than even the Horus Heresy and take place before that war.

There is a lot of stuff alluded to by some of the really ancient people in the setting, but there's never been a full book detailing anything before the Horus Heresy begins.

I mean, I am personally holding out for The Unification War getting made into its own game, with thunder warriors verses techno-barbarians because I think that sounds like the coolest thing ever.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Safety Factor posted:

I really hope someone goes insane and makes actual models of the old Malal demons.

Knightmare minis has you covered - http://knightmareminiatures.com/product/demo-lord-of-malice

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Based and ready for their first game today.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

TKIY posted:

Based and ready for their first game today.

These dudes look sick, what's the chapter name?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Syncopated posted:

These dudes look sick, what's the chapter name?

Don't have one, I just made up a colour scheme I liked. Likely run them as a generic renegade chapter.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Thanqol posted:

There is a lot of stuff alluded to by some of the really ancient people in the setting, but there's never been a full book detailing anything before the Horus Heresy begins.

I mean, I am personally holding out for The Unification War getting made into its own game, with thunder warriors verses techno-barbarians because I think that sounds like the coolest thing ever.

There's a Dan Abnett book that follows the life of Ollanius Persson, who is one of the actual Argonauts, clear to him standing between Horus and the Emperor.

Also the last practicing Catholic in existence. I love him. :v:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Hey if you're new to Warhammer 40,000 or a recent convert and are looking for advice on how to get started painting or playing, the Goonhammer crew are writing the article series for you.

In this first piece, Condit and I talk about the rulebooks you'll need and the ways to play:
https://www.goonhammer.com/subdomains/forums/getting-started-with-warhammer-40000-the-basics/

In this excellent companion piece, Lupercalcal talks about getting started painting:
https://www.goonhammer.com/subdomains/forums/getting-started-painting-and-modelling-warhammer-40000-the-basics/

We'll be covering tactics and better play in the future, with an eye toward creating a great resource for new and intermediate players that isn't inundated with 1d4chan "humor" and weighed down by their baggage.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the link. I poked around the store a bit and found the skrieky, toothy vulture demon with sickles for claws and the hooved croco-mantis. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the skull-bug with human hands for feet, but maybe i just missed it.

There's a 30k goon who loving loves Malal so hopefully they'll see this stuff and we'll get to see some weird poo poo down the line.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

In conclusion, nothing changed

I find it really disappointing that people keep saying this when in the last series Cadia was destroyed and the entire Galaxy ripped in half as a result of Abaddons efforts. I guess we forgot about that already.

This is the problem when people attach the ENTIRE GALAXY to a handful of heroes, and why Forge World is more compelling as they create characters and kill them off.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Safety Factor posted:

Thanks for the link. I poked around the store a bit and found the skrieky, toothy vulture demon with sickles for claws and the hooved croco-mantis. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the skull-bug with human hands for feet, but maybe i just missed it.

There's a 30k goon who loving loves Malal so hopefully they'll see this stuff and we'll get to see some weird poo poo down the line.

It's more of a wink and a nod.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

TKIY posted:

Don't have one, I just made up a colour scheme I liked. Likely run them as a generic renegade chapter.

Half the fun of building an army is creating incredibly intricate and dramatic fluff that no one else will ever know about

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Improbable Lobster posted:

Half the fun of building an army is creating incredibly intricate and dramatic fluff that no one else will ever know about

You do you man, enjoy it. That kinda thing holds no interest for me personally.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Ghost Hand posted:

I find it really disappointing that people keep saying this when in the last series Cadia was destroyed and the entire Galaxy ripped in half as a result of Abaddons efforts. I guess we forgot about that already.

This is the problem when people attach the ENTIRE GALAXY to a handful of heroes, and why Forge World is more compelling as they create characters and kill them off.

Okay.

But if those spoilers are correct, then for that book, basically nothing changed.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

TheChirurgeon posted:

Hey if you're new to Warhammer 40,000 or a recent convert and are looking for advice on how to get started painting or playing, the Goonhammer crew are writing the article series for you.

In this first piece, Condit and I talk about the rulebooks you'll need and the ways to play:
https://www.goonhammer.com/subdomains/forums/getting-started-with-warhammer-40000-the-basics/

In this excellent companion piece, Lupercalcal talks about getting started painting:
https://www.goonhammer.com/subdomains/forums/getting-started-painting-and-modelling-warhammer-40000-the-basics/

We'll be covering tactics and better play in the future, with an eye toward creating a great resource for new and intermediate players that isn't inundated with 1d4chan "humor" and weighed down by their baggage.

I love this idea. Having a great one-stop spot to learn about 40k that isn’t filled with 4chan humor would be much appreciated.

Also I think you should add a small section and link to the big reddit unit calculator, the one that shows a units expected wounds caused and points per wounds.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Stephenls posted:

Unfortunately, based on the Guerilla Miniature Games review of the new codex and Vigilus Ablaze, the new Havoc kit only comes with one of each weapon type. Hope he’s just making a (wrong) assumption....

From today's article https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/03/24/24th-mar-coming-soon-new-havocs-and-terminators/2019/

quote:

This kit will allow you to build 5 Havocs, armed with an array of heavy weaponry. Inside, you’ll find 2 missile launchers, 2 heavy bolters, 2 lascannons, 2 autocannons and 1 reaper chaincannon

So you only get one of the clearly best option. Better buy 4 kits to get a full squad of them!

At least in the Dev box you get 2 of the best option (Grav Cannon with Amp was the best when the kit was out) and the other options weren't bad so you could get a couple squads with decent loadouts from 2 boxes, plus a bunch of weapons to spread amongst your Tacticals.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Huh, just Havocs and Terminators next week.

And the Havocs kit has two of each heavy weapon type except the super-cool new reaper chaincannon. Well, it’s better than “One of each.”

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I predict some sort of heavy-bolter-into-reaper-chaincannon kitbash. You could do it with Tau burstcannons, maybe.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I love this idea. Having a great one-stop spot to learn about 40k that isn’t filled with 4chan humor would be much appreciated.

Just so this isn't an emptyquote, hard agree on this. Especially as I'm starting to see more and more with some of 1d4's "wisdom" being not born out by actual play.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Probably the best option for Reaper Chaincannons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

What did you do