Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

TVs Ian posted:

https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/1109437019183304706

Assuming it's accurate, this doesn't sound like main character dialog. Unless it's a totally different path from the main game anyway.
It's accurate.

It's not blindingly obvious to me that the character in the VO is the same as the one on screen. It probably is, but I wouldn't be shocked if it's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

As a follow up to our conversation a few weeks ago

~only the love of a good woman can redeem the crow~

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
If you have a female protagonist, you lose some of the symmetry there. Maybe Akechi needs to be a girl too.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Kawakami would also DRASTICALLY need to be rewritten.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Fat_Cow posted:

Persona 5 Royal, new Female Marie going to be added, more info in April. PS4 only.

Was it affirmatively declared that it’s PS4 exclusive, or was it only announced for the PS4 so far? (In other words, is it finally time to abandon all hope for a Switch port?)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

FractalSandwich posted:

If you have a female protagonist, you lose some of the symmetry there. Maybe Akechi needs to be a girl too.

Kamoshida's entire story especially I think would be incredibly different if the MC was a girl. You really can't just turn Joker into a girl and have that plotline work.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Dehry posted:

The cool thing to do with your niche JRPG right now is to have a second parallel story with the bad guys.

Now? I adored that as the perfect reward in Suikoden 3 and I'm aware of some announced FF15 DLC (OK, not "niche," but whatever), but off the top of my head I can't recall that being done otherwise recently or not-so-recently. I'm not claming all-encompassing knowledge here, so I'm mainly asking to be enlightened.

FractalSandwich posted:

Who is to say that Akechi was not? OK, I'm just kidding like before, but it's a fun tease and the character is already such an invocation of Naoto, or so you're supposed to think.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Macaluso posted:

Kamoshida's entire story especially I think would be incredibly different if the MC was a girl. You really can't just turn Joker into a girl and have that plotline work.

Yea I don't see the whole stopping a dude forcing himself on a woman, then getting framed for assault working with a female protagonist.

There are loads of other qualities about Joker that I don't know if you could just copy and paste onto a female character.

If however the story was slightly different as a female, I would welcome it I want to replay p5 again

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Chieves posted:

So they just make Kawakami the first dungeon boss and Kamoshida a romance option, problem solved.

VoLaTiLe posted:

Yea I don't see the whole stopping a dude forcing himself on a woman, then getting framed for assault working with a female protagonist.

There are loads of other qualities about Joker that I don't know if you could just copy and paste onto a female character.

If however the story was slightly different as a female, I would welcome it I want to replay p5 again

The feMC attempts to film the guy at the beginning, prompting him to smash her phone and accuse her of offering services to him. The rumors potentially follow to her new school.

Maybe that's too gross.

je1 healthcare fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 23, 2019

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

je1 healthcare posted:

So they just make Kawakami the first dungeon boss and Kamoshida a romance option, problem solved.

That's pushing it, even for Persona.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
I don't think it could be a character swap for Joker, since he started the Phantom Thieves and she is aware of their existence, since a voice is trying to get her opinion on them.

While I agree they could lose most of the animated cutscenes, or do them in-engine, I don't think that would work well for the ending one, so if it is a parallel story, they would probably at least re do that one.

I'm thinking new confidant or something like that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if its just a new confidant who the heck would buy it

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Chieves posted:

You get a part-time job as a maid because *inaudible grumbling* and Kawakami tries to show you the ropes. I don’t know how this leads to her doing your chores.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Endorph posted:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Endorph posted:

Well it'll probably have more general improvements as well just like Golden did, this is just the initial announcement/barest confirmation wtf it actually is.

I think she probably is a confidant, the amount they'd have to change for a second MC is quite a lot I think but if she is a playable MC and commenting on the Phantom Thieves then maybe it's cause the MC you don't pick becomes a character in the story?

VoLaTiLe posted:

Why would he not just falsely accuse a lady of assaulting him? Just say she came at him with a weapon or something, the only reason it worked is his word carried more weight than a random "punk kid" anyway, the assailant being a man or woman probably wouldn't make much difference.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Endorph posted:

The game features haven't been announced yet. That was just a teaser.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
We’ll see I guess. Does the lady’s design remind anyone else of Femc from P3P? I think they have a similar hair color.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They have pretty similar hair colors and have the same eye color.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Endorph posted:

People bought Persona 4 Golden, this isn't unprecedented.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I doubt it would just be a new confidant and nothing else. I imagine that like Marie in Golden she'll probably have some significant plot beat including a new dungeon or something.

Alternately they'll use her as a vector for more weird homophobic jokes. That's more likely.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Blotto_Otter posted:

Was it affirmatively declared that it’s PS4 exclusive, or was it only announced for the PS4 so far? (In other words, is it finally time to abandon all hope for a Switch port?)

People have looked at the code on the website, and it has "Nintendo" a couple of times

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Macaluso posted:

People have looked at the code on the website, and it has "Nintendo" a couple of times

Where?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

CJ posted:

Where?

I saw a tweet mentioning it earlier, which I cannot find now. It had a screenshot of the code on the website with "Nintendo" and "Playstation" among it

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Macaluso posted:

I saw a tweet mentioning it earlier, which I cannot find now. It had a screenshot of the code on the website with "Nintendo" and "Playstation" among it

Persona 5 R is getting ported to the Nintendo Gamecube.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Personally I think her design is too generic to just be an ordinary new Confidant. Like, she hasn't modified her uniform at all, and overall nothing about her appearance gives any sense of her personality. That's just not how they design characters in these games, especially for someone who's supposed to be the major new feature of the game. Just look at Marie's design!

So for that reason, and that reason alone, I would lean towards her being the protagonist of a new Answer-esque side-story or something.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Clarste posted:

Personally I think her design is too generic to just be an ordinary new Confidant. Like, she hasn't modified her uniform at all, and overall nothing about her appearance gives any sense of her personality. That's just not how they design characters in these games, especially for someone who's supposed to be the major new feature of the game. Just look at Marie's design!

So for that reason, and that reason alone, I would lean towards her being the protagonist of a new Answer-esque side-story or something.

Her design makes her look like the older sister of the Persona 3 female MC, so yeah I agree that she defiantly has strong protagonist vibes.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Maybe it is Femc and she was reincarnated or something

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

HIJK posted:

Maybe it is Femc and she was reincarnated or something

If they do end up doing something weird like her actually being the female protagonist from Persona 3 who's timeline got destroyed and now she's trying to survive on her own in a world where she doesn't exist and apparently no longer ages that would be pretty cool.

I will 100% buy the game if that turns out to be true, even if she's not playable, just to see where they go with that plot-line.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

The tv translation makes it not seem like not a new main character given her stated motivation but, at the same time, I have a real hard time believing a single new confidant would get such a spotlight. My guess would be a new party member, but one that is actively against the Phantom Thieves until they clear her palace.

I do like the reincarnated FeMC idea, as well.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

HaB posted:

The only scene I can think of where I really felt this about Ryuji and Ann is the animated section of the time they take Futaba to the beach, and when the girls come out in swimsuits, Ryuji ogles Ann and makes boob-grabbing motions, and she does this amazing disarm of his creepiness by first pointing and laughing at him, then throws her arm around him all "yeah! you're liking me now, aren't you? whatsamatter? cat got your tongue?" which is one of my favorite moments across both games.

Well there's the time Ann doesn't mind sleeping in the same room as Joker/Ryuji/Mishima because she trusts them unlike say, Yosuke accusing Kanji of being an insatiable rapist.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I just finished Caligula Effect and I think the way in which the social links relate to the main plot is very good. During the main game, all characters get a sort of small resolution to a much deeper issue that is extrapolated upon in the social link, but they're all plot locked so the character growth that occurs there doesn't interfere with their actions in the main story, but this also means the issue each person goes through is much more at the forefront of what's going on in the game, so everything feels very relevant.

The original or overdosed? The original had a lot of problems, but I heard overdosed was somewhat better.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Mason Dixon posted:

The tv translation makes it not seem like not a new main character given her stated motivation but, at the same time, I have a real hard time believing a single new confidant would get such a spotlight. My guess would be a new party member, but one that is actively against the Phantom Thieves until they clear her palace.

I do like the reincarnated FeMC idea, as well.

Reincarnation is the only reason I can think of for them to reuse Femc’s color palette but maybe Atlus is just lazy :v:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Turns out Q2 was foreshadowing all along.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

HIJK posted:

Reincarnation is the only reason I can think of for them to reuse Femc’s color palette but maybe Atlus is just lazy :v:

From now on every persona game will have a female protagonist with exactly that color scheme, this will never be commented on or explained.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

From now on every persona game will have a female protagonist with exactly that color scheme, this will never be commented on or explained.

After a legion of these female protags have been assembled they will reveal their true form: Persona’s own idol group

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

je1 healthcare posted:

You say this, but the notion of Shadow Kawakami alone fills me with fear, because I know it would be like high-octane fuel for fan artists.

Either that, or it'd be a terrible design like Shadow Sae was.

FractalSandwich posted:

Yeah, Akechi deserves a girl. More specifically a girl who knees him in the groin and kicks him into a dumpster.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

If she isn't a new playable female mc I'm going to be real sad.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If Persona 5 the Royal is just a directors cut edition of the game, I hope it actually trims a lot of the fat and makes major changes to the pacing issues that the base game has.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

If Persona 5 the Royal is just a directors cut edition of the game, I hope it actually trims a lot of the fat and makes major changes to the pacing issues that the base game has.

That would not happen because then no matter how much people complained they would suddenly complain about 'cutting content'

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
They'll make it more bloated, if anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
There might be a couple of things they could streamline just with systems fixes. Not many, though.