Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
i called in today for the first time in at least 5 years (2.5 at current gig) bc i have a hip so
sore that i can’t walk and all i could think was “oh god i hope i don’t get fired”

i got a little pushback abt seeing a doc but i’ve got no insurance and already promised i’d be in tomorrow and they have the bodies to cover for my absence

again i am having difficulty walking but all i can think abt is how this is going to impact my standing

the post from the previous page applies to me 100% and is indeed accurate and well, ed balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

succ posted:

Thinking about work is kinda weird. We are told to work 40 hours in 5 days and questioning it and wondering why we are unhappy we get told, "you might be depressed."

Well no loving poo poo.

Distract yourself as much as possible outside of work. It's the only way to get through this poo poo.

It's entirely possible to not mind and even kind of enjoy work and I really miss having a brain that was like that.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

turn off the TV posted:

It's entirely possible to not mind and even kind of enjoy work and I really miss having a brain that was like that.

i love my job and i’m paid well even though it comes with mountains of bullshit that is completely unnecessary bc my boss has a corporatization fetish even tho it’s a small restaurant and i miss the prior chef every day and oh wow i kinda hate my job

but i love what i do? if that makes any sense? it sure beats slowly going insane working at call centers getting yelled at for poo poo that wasn’t my fault

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I kind of liked the contract tech jobs but I realize that it is not the norm.

I hope we can get to a point as a society where we can get structure, group tasks that are satisfying to accomplish, and free coffee without the misery and fear of dying penniless.

And maybe being able to work more of a 30 hour workweek, those last two hours are hell and pointless

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

I actually like my job a lot. I find the work enjoyable, I’ve learned a ton, and I can work from home when I need to. If you’re lucky enough to have a job that you like, then that’s great. Just don’t put your job ahead of your own physical and mental health, and don’t get the idea that your employer has your best interests in mind. Always put your own concerns ahead of your company’s. Oftentimes there’s a lot of overlap there, especially in the US where employment is tied to healthcare. When in doubt, you can generally assume that your company will prioritize profit over your well-being.

Also, always remember that HR is not there to protect the employees. They’re there to protect the company from the employees.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

the prez sukks

like, share, reblog if you agree

e: poo poo wrong thread

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I talked w/ my boss and he was like 'oh god I'm so sorry it was a mistake and I was just copying over last week's schedule and forgot to delete this day' so that made me feel better. I just got too worked up. he's always been super flexible and will do anything within reason for us. I'm just not good with communication so! that's my fault!

my raise should be in the next couple of months and he gave me the highest 'exceeds expectations' kind of poo poo on my review which was nice to hear.

I also learned that he's leaving in a few weeks and I'm really really really bummed about it bc he's a good dude, but he's getting out of retail into a job that's relevant to his music-making, which is awesome :unsmith:

:sigh:

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

SHVPS4DETH posted:

i called in today for the first time in at least 5 years (2.5 at current gig) bc i have a hip so
sore that i can’t walk and all i could think was “oh god i hope i don’t get fired”

i got a little pushback abt seeing a doc but i’ve got no insurance and already promised i’d be in tomorrow and they have the bodies to cover for my absence

again i am having difficulty walking but all i can think abt is how this is going to impact my standing

the post from the previous page applies to me 100% and is indeed accurate and well, ed balls

everyone's always been pretty good about this poo poo at my job tbh, I'm just afraid of them thinking poorly of me when there's not much evidence that they would because we're all normal, sad, bitter people lol

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

i got banned due to bastageddon and it was good for my mental health actually. like, spending all my downtime at work drowning in irony-poisoned bitter nerd discussion about how hosed we are wasn't that great psychologically? woah..

also i went back on my anti-brokebrain meds AND found a weed man who lives like half a block from me. and i got fresh cookies being delivered as i post this :cool:

recipe for happiness: stop being extremely online all the time, get therapy/meds, smoke weed, eat cookies, be gay, do crimes

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Feranon posted:

i got banned due to bastageddon and it was good for my mental health actually. like, spending all my downtime at work drowning in irony-poisoned bitter nerd discussion about how hosed we are wasn't that great psychologically? woah..

also i went back on my anti-brokebrain meds AND found a weed man who lives like half a block from me. and i got fresh cookies being delivered as i post this :cool:

recipe for happiness: stop being extremely online all the time, get therapy/meds, smoke weed, eat cookies, be gay, do crimes

on that note, this weekend may be a really good time to take a mental health break

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
i wanna get back on brain meds but i wanna be not on anything for my adhd test bc i dont want it to mess with the testing.

i also hate my job and have an intense desire to take out a bunch of money and move to where i wanna be and hope to get something within a few months. my job and my location are definitely contributing to my depression

also my cousin who was my best friend and her boyfriend who i considered a friend died in a plane crash in kenya last month so ive been dealing with that poo poo too

and i dumped my boyfriend of a year over christmas

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
nice to see youre ok now chokes i miss our slack chats :)

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

cheese eats mouse posted:

i wanna get back on brain meds but i wanna be not on anything for my adhd test bc i dont want it to mess with the testing.

i also hate my job and have an intense desire to take out a bunch of money and move to where i wanna be and hope to get something within a few months. my job and my location are definitely contributing to my depression

also my cousin who was my best friend and her boyfriend who i considered a friend died in a plane crash in kenya last month so ive been dealing with that poo poo too

and i dumped my boyfriend of a year over christmas

gently caress that sounds rough af :(

GL goon

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

cheese eats mouse posted:

nice to see youre ok now chokes i miss our slack chats :)

cheeeeeeeeese :glomp:

I'm in Austin, I got a tattoo. it literally almost killed me lol

austin not the tattoo

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Chokes McGee posted:

cheeeeeeeeese :glomp:

I'm in Austin, I got a tattoo. it literally almost killed me lol

austin not the tattoo

I’m glad you got out though I know that was a big goal for you and the wife

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
for my own mental health I wanna take a tab tonight BUT i don’t have any weed to smoke to make it more full on plus I don’t want to be tired tomorrow so maybe mental health has to wait 🤷‍♂️ lol yep there is only one way

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

trying to find a new job is hard im dumb as poo poo and theres nowhere that pays enough to support my extravagant lifestyle of eating beans in an unfurnished beige room

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So, this is a very awkward question.

A decent-sized chunk of me believes that if good things happen to me, at best that means its robbing someone else of a good thing and at worst it causes bad things.

I know this is a delusion. The chunk of me that's the most stable and sane knows that's not true. But it also doesn't have the tools or know-how to fight a lot of crippling emotions/fears/etc.

I'm in therapy, I obviously have to work on my therapist with this. I didn't reach this explicit realization until yesterday. The next session is Tuesday. So, uh...

What do I do, where do I start?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

RandomPauI posted:

A decent-sized chunk of me believes that if good things happen to me, at best that means its robbing someone else of a good thing and at worst it causes bad things.

I know this is a delusion. The chunk of me that's the most stable and sane knows that's not true. But it also doesn't have the tools or know-how to fight a lot of crippling emotions/fears/etc.

I'm in therapy, I obviously have to work on my therapist with this. I didn't reach this explicit realization until yesterday. The next session is Tuesday. So, uh...

this is very common! it’s the same mechanism that kicks in when you feel like your personal problems are meaningless because someone somewhere else has it much worse.

in my case it’s been 100% self esteem issues plus a childhood of constantly being yelled at for being selfish for no goddamn reason. you deserve happiness like everyone else, and your good things help get you feeling good and doing good which has a pay it forward effect. so it can actually help!

anyway it’s good you’re realizing this because now that you know it’s a thing and can this face it. keep talking to your therapist and keep up the good work goon sir/ma’am :)

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I had that belief too, where whenever I was doing better it seemed like bad things would happen to my friends. What was actually happening though is that I was doing well enough that I wasn't always caught up in my own poo poo and was able to notice what other people were going through.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

mekyabetsu posted:

In a similar vein, I’ll often be reading a book, start getting paranoid that I missed some minor but important plot point a few paragraphs prior, then go back and read from the beginning of the paragraph/page/chapter/etc. I’ll literally do this five or six times before I’m fully “satisfied” that I completely absorbed the material, and I can go on.
This was a symptom of my OCD. I felt like I couldn't say I "truly" read it if I didn't get every word.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Goon Danton posted:

I had that belief too, where whenever I was doing better it seemed like bad things would happen to my friends. What was actually happening though is that I was doing well enough that I wasn't always caught up in my own poo poo and was able to notice what other people were going through.

Mine is more like "I went to the California Science Museum and had a great time which is why the Thomas Fire happened and two people died".

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

i went to a party last night! :toot:

i havent gone to a party in years lmao

also i went as shall we say...an as unseen version of myself that is much more real

would recommend!!!

sometimes your life long unceasing depression might be because of dysphoria :eyepop: :hmmyes:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Zyla posted:

also i went as shall we say...an as unseen version of myself that is much more real

would recommend!!!

sometimes your life long unceasing depression might be because of dysphoria :eyepop: :hmmyes:

:glomp:

e: whoops dysphoria that is something COMPLETELY different lol. glad you got accepted for who you were buddy :unsmith: leaving the below bc it’s still useful

dysthymia is very real as is cyclothymia

they may be considered “lesser” versions but it’s a really draining thing to have lurking around hidden in the background while you’re all bah I’m fine no depression/mania here

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
i feel nothing, i'm always pretending to care about others because i wish i did, but i dont, because life is pointless and the bad guys won before we were born

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

got any sevens posted:

i feel nothing, i'm always pretending to care about others because i wish i did, but i dont, because life is pointless and the bad guys won before we were born

For what it’s worth, if you’re bothering to pretend to care that shows you’re a decent person. I also think there’s some value in focusing what’s in front of you rather than obsessing about the bigger picture that you aren’t even certain about.

Everyone dies someday, surely it’s worth sticking with life to see where it’ll go? Are you so sure of the future that you can say for certain life doesn’t have happiness in store for you?

Rookoo has issued a correction as of 09:23 on Mar 24, 2019

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

You must pay the price for this post.

Zyla posted:

would recommend!!!

Wow are you me?

Ive got a therapist appointment monday where i kiinda need to get my gender dysphoria write up because an amaazing endocrinologist agreed to see me in 2 weeks instead of the normal several months and im nervous af

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

Wow are you me?

Ive got a therapist appointment monday where i kiinda need to get my gender dysphoria write up because an amaazing endocrinologist agreed to see me in 2 weeks instead of the normal several months and im nervous af

Congrats

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

RandomPauI posted:

Happiness isn't a zero-sum game, but what really sounds like your problem is that you don't feel like you deserve to be happy and you're trying to rationalize that negativity.

Are you familiar with downward comparisons? Therapists often use them with depressed patients because some people respond very well to them. In essence, a downward comparison is one where your seemingly dire position is compared favorably to someone even worse off. In your case, think of this: there are people who are much worse than you, real stone cold pricks, who are happy, and they don't deserve it any more or less than you. Unless you're a moralist, in which case you should know they definitely deserve happiness less than you.

Oh, one other thing: try writing down this explicit realization of yours, and details surrounding it, like when you thought this, what thoughts preceded it, what happened to you in the hours beforehand, etc. and then provide that to your therapist on Tuesday.

edit:

RandomPauI posted:

Mine is more like "I went to the California Science Museum and had a great time which is why the Thomas Fire happened and two people died".

Didn't see that part before, your problem could be very different from what I initially thought, but I still think you should write down the episode for yourself and your therapist

Filthy Hans has issued a correction as of 20:39 on Mar 24, 2019

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
For a good philosophical-psychological framework I recommend Frankl's man's search for meaning. His view is that a meaningful existance comes from purpose and love for another person or people. That purpose can also be the suffering the universe gave us to endure. Very powerful especially from a holocaust survivor

I would like to ask for advice how you guys deal with informational hygiene. Escitalopram stopped some addictive behaviours like smoking and sweets, but still when faced with a stressful situation I grab my phone to check the news/forums on what the orange man did today in the last hour. I waste hours doing that instead of the things I want to or should be doing... Blocker programs work until my willpower gets depleted and I go into fiending for distraction mode.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

mekyabetsu posted:

In a similar vein, I’ll often be reading a book, start getting paranoid that I missed some minor but important plot point a few paragraphs prior, then go back and read from the beginning of the paragraph/page/chapter/etc. I’ll literally do this five or six times before I’m fully “satisfied” that I completely absorbed the material, and I can go on. This behavior extends to games and movies. Just replace going back a few pages with reloading a save game, rewinding the movie, etc.

This always seems like textbook OCD or ADHD to me, but apparently it isn’t, because every doctor and therapist I’ve brought it up with attributes it to generalized anxiety. I can see how that might be the case, but sometimes I feel like my doctor doesn’t give this symptom the attention it deserves. It really makes enjoying any story-based media nearly impossible :(.

platzapS posted:

This was a symptom of my OCD. I felt like I couldn't say I "truly" read it if I didn't get every word.

Just out of curiosity, how did you two do on reading comprehension tests when you were young? I could see how whiffing an important test early on would turn into a life-long fear of missing material, but that's just a wild guess and I'm not a psychologist. Still, it's always worth considering how little events from your childhood can cause big ripples that chase you for a long time.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I've realized I have a problem that I feel like C-Spammers probably can relate to and maybe have some advice.

See, kinda all my hobbies got sucked into politics. So when the politics suck, everything does. The books I've got kicking around that I want to read are about politics, the movies I've been thinking about are documentaries, even talking about video games or tabletop games is mired in politics. I can't get away and I've done this all to myself. The solution is obvious, I know, but when so many of the things I find interesting intersect with the political, it's hard to pull away from it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
the solution is to make that your career, helping make those documentaries

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Grondoth posted:

I've realized I have a problem that I feel like C-Spammers probably can relate to and maybe have some advice.

See, kinda all my hobbies got sucked into politics. So when the politics suck, everything does. The books I've got kicking around that I want to read are about politics, the movies I've been thinking about are documentaries, even talking about video games or tabletop games is mired in politics. I can't get away and I've done this all to myself. The solution is obvious, I know, but when so many of the things I find interesting intersect with the political, it's hard to pull away from it.

felt. One of the many, many things that led to my breakdown was taking the phone app I made for Harris’ campaign to the local DSA guy going OH BOY HERES MY CHANCE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE WITH MY COMPUTER TOUCHING only to have him poo poo all over it and then tell me what it should be and to do that instead

now I do things that actually make a difference like helping provide info to fellow mental illness sufferers :)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

got any sevens posted:

the solution is to make that your career, helping make those documentaries

idiocracy 2

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

felt. One of the many, many things that led to my breakdown was taking the phone app I made for Harris’ campaign to the local DSA guy going OH BOY HERES MY CHANCE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE WITH MY COMPUTER TOUCHING only to have him poo poo all over it and then tell me what it should be and to do that instead

now I do things that actually make a difference like helping provide info to fellow mental illness sufferers :)

Yeah I wanted to sit back, put on a podcast and just play some things.

Then I realized all my podcasts except one are related to politics.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i think that my family is going to disown me starting june 1st so it's gonna be neat to see if i can somehow apply and qualify for disability within the next few months or be cured of anxiety, depression and constant migraines before then

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Nae! posted:

Just out of curiosity, how did you two do on reading comprehension tests when you were young? I could see how whiffing an important test early on would turn into a life-long fear of missing material, but that's just a wild guess and I'm not a psychologist. Still, it's always worth considering how little events from your childhood can cause big ripples that chase you for a long time.

I don’t remember specifics, but I know I did reasonably well. I was always more math and science oriented, but I still did pretty well in English classes and standardized reading tests.

This behavior I have, where I re-read things out of some misguided fear that I missed a relevant point, isn’t rational. I don’t do it because I actually missed something; I do it because of either anxiety or some degree of undiagnosed ADHD. I’m cognizant of the root of the problem (I think), but while I’m experiencing its effects, it’s like an itch. Trying to ignore it is torture.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

Wow are you me?

yay im glad for ya!

-----

in me news: fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk i woke up today with horrific anxiety and despair about being old and not having accomplished goals of marriage/house/career and not seeing a path to any of them and it makes me feel real bad :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Zyla posted:

yay im glad for ya!

-----

in me news: fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk i woke up today with horrific anxiety and despair about being old and not having accomplished goals of marriage/house/career and not seeing a path to any of them and it makes me feel real bad :smith:

Now imagine you've accomplished all of those things and you hate your spouse, you're underwater on your house, and every day in your job makes you want to hurl yourself off the roof.

Your dreams can turn into nightmares very quickly if you don't focus on why they're your dreams. What is it about the marriage/house/career trifecta that actually appeals to you? If you can figure out the components of those things that have actual meaning to you (probably companionship and stability to start), you can seek them out through other means.

Don't fall into the trap of 'checking off the boxes' of society's idea of happiness. Find yours and everyone who doesn't like it can get bent.