Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Ron Cobb's ornithopter for Jodorowsky is the best insect-ish design I've seen. Jodo didn't like it - "too NASA, too American."

But yeah the thopter Paul and Jessica ride through the storm has "wind scream[ing] through the lapped coverts and primaries," which are bird feathers irl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

phasmid posted:

I'm stuck trying to figure out if it'll have a "head" or if it'll look like a flying wing with a pair of anisodactyl landing claws.

fe. I mean, it's wings will still have to look avian.

We are just talking poo poo here , but this image sorta gets close for me. Just in my mind it has 4 wings buzzing about.

I'm endless interested by differing interpretations. Like the Frank Herbert approved Dr Yaoi on the page prior was wildly different to my imagining

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Temaukel posted:

The portrayal of ornithopters will be a deal breaker for me, design wise.
I swear, if they make some spaceship-y generic double helicopter thing I'm leaving the theater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEXNRJFgtDg

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008

I’d imagine ornithopters would look glider like. lightweight and fragile, but outrageously fast and maneuverable. Imagine watching a hawk riding a thermal and diving towards prey. Silent, agile and extremely deadly.

The lynch dune ones look like clunky loving boxes that struggled to keep in the air and flew like an overweight insect

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Ron Cobb's ornithopter for Jodorowsky is the best insect-ish design I've seen. Jodo didn't like it - "too NASA, too American."

It's good but a bit too heavy with all those huge rockets for me.

I always did imagine them as quite insect-like, though. With huge, diaphanous wings. Browsing google image search came across this, which is a good direction, I think:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Mar 23, 2019

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

I wanna drive a dune buggy on Arrakis

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

dune 2000 orithopters are definitive y'all

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tace Vim posted:

It's just called a buggy

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

It's just called a buggy

not much, whats buggy you

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

They actually call it an Arrakis Cart

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Tace Vim posted:

Play Jak 3 for a little bit?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

BONGHITZ posted:

what is kolob?
According to the Mormons, Kolob is the planet Adam is the god of in the Celestial Kingdom. Be a good Mormon and you too get your own planet!

No I have not been using the hypnobong again, why do you ask?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

basic hitler posted:

dune 2000 orithopters are definitive y'all

Maybe something between that and the wholly organic shuttles from LEXX? I love the first three seasons of LEXX. Pure-strain crazy live-action Incal. Which brings us back to Dune.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

MikeJF posted:

It's good but a bit too heavy with all those huge rockets for me.

I always did imagine them as quite insect-like, though. With huge, diaphanous wings. Browsing google image search came across this, which is a good direction, I think:

John Schoenherr from "The Illustrated Dune" (1978):

Temaukel fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 23, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

North By Northwest remake looking lit af...

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Temaukel posted:

The portrayal of ornithopters will be a deal breaker for me, design wise.
I swear, if they make some spaceship-y generic double helicopter thing I'm leaving the theater.

This is what I was referencing btw. I mean :wtc:, why does everything have to look like loving video games:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Temaukel posted:

John Schoenherr from "The Illustrated Dune" (1978):

These designs are cool, but from the scene where Paul and Jessica start up the thopter they get into after having met Liet Kynes in the desert and him deciding to help them, isn't that thopter described as being capable of VTOL? I mean, sure - there'd have to be advances in the material sciences in ~20k years between now and Dune, but they look too flimsy.
Not only that, but the thopter also survives a sandstorm.

It's not the best of images, but Sam Webers art - which has been featured in this thread before - does it best for me:

(Source - warning, may be not safe for work in case your boss freaks out over a bare butt)

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

D. Ebdrup posted:

These designs are cool, but from the scene where Paul and Jessica start up the thopter they get into after having met Liet Kynes in the desert and him deciding to help them, isn't that thopter described as being capable of VTOL? I mean, sure - there'd have to be advances in the material sciences in ~20k years between now and Dune, but they look too flimsy.

It's not the best of images, but Sam Webers art - which has been featured in this thread before - does it best for me:

(Source - warning, may be not safe for work in case your boss freaks out over a bare butt)

That's a fair point. Also Sam Webers art kicks rear end. Too bad the folio edition of dune is so expensive.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Jodo didn't like it - "too NASA, too American."

Better than "too French" like many of the other designs.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
On Centipede Press news, I'm not sure I like the art direction for the illustrations for their Dune Chronicles edition:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/JacurutuForum/photos/?tab=album&album_id=852593721544048

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

D. Ebdrup posted:

Thopters have small jump jets to perform the VTOL or to do maneuvers or speed that the flappy wings can't do alone.

Looking kinda flimsy and barely-there makes them more realistic, in my mind. To work, a thopter would have to be light. Strong, but incredibly lightweight.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 23, 2019

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

D. Ebdrup posted:

These designs are cool, but from the scene where Paul and Jessica start up the thopter they get into after having met Liet Kynes in the desert and him deciding to help them, isn't that thopter described as being capable of VTOL?

Almost:

The wings were at full spread-rest, their delicate metal interleavings extended. He touched the retractor bar, watched the wings shorten for jet-boost take-off the way Gurney Halleck had taught him. The starter switch moved easily. Dials on the instrument panel came alive as the jetpods were armed. Turbines began their low hissing. ... Paul depressed the glowing action-sequence switch on his panel. The wings snapped back and down, hurling the 'thopter [forward] out of its nest. Power surged from the jetpods as the wings locked into lift attitude.

In this case the wings flap once, hard, on takeoff, and then lock in to a more familiar static wing as the pods provide the thrust. When the Duke, Paul, Gurney, and Kynes go out to inspect spice harvesting, the Duke takes off in a similar way, flapping the wings twice to get airborne in ten meters, then locking the wings and using the jets to reach altitude. Later the wings extend fully and flap for thrust. Thopters can look and behave just like traditional aircraft, and do when the situation calls for it. But they can also do very short takeoffs, very short landings, non-jet flight, sharp maneuvers with wings pulled short, efficient gliding with extended wings, dive like a hawk, etc all because the wings are very finely articulated.

Yeah that just looks like knockoff Avatar, where the design totally made sense and worked. Modern "realistic" sci-fi style is terrible for Dune - it was written way before that style and aesthetics crystallized (around 1986, Aliens) and was deliberately anachronistic even then. Retro-retro-future is what it needs. Fortunately Villeneuve accomplished something similar in BR2049, believably evolving a retro-future vision further along its own diverging path.

And Villeneuve's not in love with technology like Cameron is, either - he's content to let it be an incidental part of the world, and he doesn't feel the need to make everything at least semi-plausible. That looser style should help him capture the dreamy feel of Dune.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot about Dune makes sense considering they literally destroyed most scientific knowledge from the 20th century onwards and rebuilt from first principles, but with access to incredible alien materials and ideas.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I really hope they don't make the guildsmen look like aliens

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Temaukel posted:

That's a fair point. Also Sam Webers art kicks rear end. Too bad the folio edition of dune is so expensive.

Temaukel posted:

On Centipede Press news, I'm not sure I like the art direction for the illustrations for their Dune Chronicles edition:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/JacurutuForum/photos/?tab=album&album_id=852593721544048

You know the Centipede edition is going to cost about 4x what the Folio edition costs, right?

Edit: you did, in fact, know that.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 24, 2019

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ornamented Death posted:

You know the Centipede edition is going to cost about 4x what the Folio edition costs, right?

Edit: you did, in fact, know that.

Yep, both are very expensive. That's why I will not buy either one. Also those are some very poo poo looking illustrations for costing 4x the folio edition.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot about Dune makes sense considering they literally destroyed most scientific knowledge from the 20th century onwards and rebuilt from first principles, but with access to incredible alien materials and ideas.

That's a good point. It crossed my mind a little while ago that Herbert avoided so many stupid tropes, including the whole "it's still Earth, just transformed by circumstances". All the benefits of an alien culture are there, without the limitations of the past. He even repeated this, kinda, in Heretics when the Matres destroy Arrakis with some kind of incendiary weapon.

Phi230 posted:

I really hope they don't make the guildsmen look like aliens

Just out of curiosity, what would you have them look like?

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Dumpy dudes in gray robes wearing contacts.

But they don't really need to be shown at all, honestly. It's a cool mystery in the setting, and it'd make Edric's reveal that much more impactful if they get to Messiah. It'd be more interesting to experience the journey completely through Paul's eyes.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Dumpy dudes in gray robes wearing contacts.

But they don't really need to be shown at all, honestly. It's a cool mystery in the setting, and it'd make Edric's reveal that much more impactful if they get to Messiah. It'd be more interesting to experience the journey completely through Paul's eyes.

I agree with the second point but don't Navigators have loving gills?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

phasmid posted:

That's a good point. It crossed my mind a little while ago that Herbert avoided so many stupid tropes, including the whole "it's still Earth, just transformed by circumstances". All the benefits of an alien culture are there, without the limitations of the past. He even repeated this, kinda, in Heretics when the Matres destroy Arrakis with some kind of incendiary weapon.

Just out of curiosity, what would you have them look like?
Dune ends up turned into a glass ball, right? At least that seems to be the implication of a lot of heat + sand.

Your other question makes me wonder how Villeneuve could film the scene of the navigator meeting the Emperor on Kaitain, as I can't really see him leaving it out considering what happens at the end of the book.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/christian-bale-gains-450000-pounds-to-play-sandworm-in-dune-remake/

:Woah:

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

exmachina posted:

I agree with the second point but don't Navigators have loving gills?

Not in the original novel. Paul speculates near the beginning that maybe nobody has ever seen a Navigator because they're mutated. Then at the end of the book, two regular looking dudes in gray posing as envoys for the Guild are revealed (by Paul) to be Navigators. They have almost black eyes because of their total spice addiction (which they conceal with contacts), but that's all. They are with the Emperor when the final battle happens, and are there at the very end when Paul duels Feyd. Paul's threat to destroy all spice production is delivered to them, and it's what keeps the huge combined fleet/army of the Houses in orbit.

In Messiah we meet a mutated Navigator, floating in a tank of spice gas:

"The Guildsman was an elongated figure, vaguely humanoid with finned feet and hugely fanned membranous hands -- a fish in a strange sea. His tank's vents emitted a pale orange cloud rich with the smell of the geriatric spice, melange. [...] Edric took this moment to pop a melange pill into his mouth. He ate the spice and breathed it and, no doubt, drank it [...] the bold stare, those monstrous feet and hands moving softly in the gas, the smoky swirling of orange eddies around him. She would wonder about his sex habits, thinking how odd it would be to mate with such a one. Even the fieldforce generator which recreated for Edric the weightlessness of space would set him apart from her now"

I'm going to guess that if we see a mutated Navigator at all, Villeneuve is going to keep them mostly shrouded in gas, and we'll get only hints at the extent of their mutation. See the heptapods in Arrival.

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate

Checks out.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Not in the original novel. Paul speculates near the beginning that maybe nobody has ever seen a Navigator because they're mutated. Then at the end of the book, two regular looking dudes in gray posing as envoys for the Guild are revealed (by Paul) to be Navigators. They have almost black eyes because of their total spice addiction (which they conceal with contacts), but that's all.

Pretty sure those guys bring navigators is your interpretation, not an explicit statement.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

He searched through the Emperor's suite until he saw the faces of the two Guildsmen, spoke aside to Gurney. "Are those the Guild agents, Gurney, the two fat ones dressed in gray over there?"
"Yes, m'Lord."
"You two," Paul said, pointing. "Get out of there immediately and dispatch messages that will get that fleet on its way home. After this, you'll ask my permission before --"
"The Guild doesn't take your orders!" the taller of the two barked. He and his companion pushed through to the barrier lances, which were raised at a nod from Paul. The two men stepped out and the taller leveled an arm at Paul, said: "You may very well be under embargo for your --"
"If I hear any more nonsense from either of you," Paul said, "I'll give the order that'll destroy all spice production on Arrakis . . . forever."
"Are you mad?" the tall Guildsman demanded. He fell back half a step.
"You grant that I have the power to do this thing, then?" Paul asked.
The Guildsman seemed to stare into space for a moment, then: "Yes, you could do it, but you must not."
"Ah-h-h," Paul said and nodded to himself. "Guild navigators, both of you, eh?"
"Yes!"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The "Ah-h-h" thing was a kind of weird style thing in Dune that always catches me a little bit when I see it after a while

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh okay then.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Tace Vim posted:

Well, actually...

You can go on sand rail rides through the dunes at Florence, Oregon, which were one of Herbert's inspirations to write Dune in the first place.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Of course the first thing anyone does on seeing the heavily mutated humans is wonder about how they gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

To be fair, that's weirdo Scytale imagining thoughts in Irulan's head.