Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

FoolyCharged posted:

The only reason they might is if this media storm gets out of hand and people en mass won't book the plane out of fear. I dont really see that happening here though.

I agree. Given how focused people are on driving down the absurdly high costs of flying in the United States, as well as the normal human experience of rationalizing away any non-immediate risks, I don't think that sort of thing is really going to affect people's decision-making. In any case, I have the feeling that once Boeing figures out a solution that will satisfy regulators in the EU they'll roll it out to global fanfare that the problem is fixed, and people will accept it because it's not like they're in a position to contest it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

And in all honesty, the eu is pretty darn invested in Airbus. Any fix the jaa approve will have to pass scrutiny with one of the earliest groups to ban the plane because there was no consequence in doing so.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Flesh Forge posted:

in the long run, maybe so, but certainly not 8 hours after it was submitted

Your false prophet has been exposed and it is time for you to renounce your pagan beliefs

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Edit: gently caress it, not worth it

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 24, 2019

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

I'm not exactly defending Mueller here but "Mueller did not find the Trump campaign conspired with Russia, attorney general says" yes it is no great surprise that the AG that Trump hand picked for this express purpose is doing the thing he was hand picked for.

e: keep in mind the GOP still has poo poo like this on full blast

https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/1109829027001442305

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 24, 2019

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm not exactly defending Mueller here but "Mueller did not find the Trump campaign conspired with Russia, attorney general says" yes it is no great surprise that the AG that Trump hand picked for this express purpose is doing the thing he was hand picked for.

And the two things he says Trump didn't conspire about weren't things anyone had thought Trump had done in the first place.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Flesh Forge posted:

e: keep in mind the GOP still has poo poo like this on full blast

Russiagate, Mueller, the supposed NY ATG investigations, that's all the political equivalent of Batboy supermarket tablet nonsense. I understand being invested in a show, but it's clearly run its course now. It's time to turn off the TV and go outside.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ok dude enjoy your break

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Kobayashi posted:

Russiagate, Mueller, the supposed NY ATG investigations, that's all the political equivalent of Batboy supermarket tablet nonsense. I understand being invested in a show, but it's clearly run its course now. It's time to turn off the TV and go outside.

Manafort sitting in prison must be greatly comforted by this all being like "batboy"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BrandorKP posted:

Manafort sitting in prison must be greatly comforted by this all being like "batboy"

Yeah but in fairness nobody really gives a poo poo about Manafort. Not really.

I mean, gently caress that guy, sure, but he's not in power

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Popehat's analysis of Barr's letter

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/03/barr-mueller/585628/

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There is simply zero chance that the full text of the report isn't going to leak within a couple of weeks, this is the admin of "Mar-a-Lago guests take a selfie with nuclear football guy"

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Flesh Forge posted:

There is simply zero chance that the full text of the report isn't going to leak within a couple of weeks, this is the admin of "Mar-a-Lago guests take a selfie with nuclear football guy"

Meanwhile, the administration will lie about its contents and every time certain people will commence additional victory laps. Christ, I want this to be over with.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Flesh Forge posted:

that or the house will get a hold of it and read it off in public.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Meanwhile, the administration will lie about its contents and every time certain people will commence additional victory laps. Christ, I want this to be over with.

they were going to anyway. it could have said "trumps Excommunicate Traitoris" and they would have called it lies.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ChrisMurphyCT/status/1110196928569110529?s=19

The cluster is growing. :(

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/TIA_EWING/status/1110576709387108357

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
So... we’re back to highly regarded gay minority actor was probably assaulted by MAGA hats. With the added twist of the Chicago Police ginning up charges against that actor for faking his own assault. Generally deals come with a guilty plea, right? So all this was... intimidation?

Oh hey Rahm, did you want to weigh in?

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/26/charges-against-empire-actor-jussie-smollett-dropped.html

quote:

"This is without a doubt a whitewash of justice," Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel said at a press conference where he and police blasted the dismissal.
He said Smollett "did this all in the name of self-promotion."

Faaaantastic

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

M.c.P posted:

So... we’re back to highly regarded gay minority actor was probably assaulted by MAGA hats. With the added twist of the Chicago Police ginning up charges against that actor for faking his own assault. Generally deals come with a guilty plea, right? So all this was... intimidation?

Oh hey Rahm, did you want to weigh in?

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/26/charges-against-empire-actor-jussie-smollett-dropped.html

Faaaantastic

could still be Somalian dudes? they could have just lied to the cops and the cops being cops saw it as an opportunity to gently caress smollett over. i

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 27, 2019

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I like how people are still filing in to make 'well maybe there are still some guilty black guys' guesses

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

I'm just confused. I thought the police made their case based on a legit check from smollett to his co workers. The rope being identified as from a local shop where said coworkers had purchased rope recently and said rope at coworkers place. Dropping charges with all of that feels a little goofy.

Was it fake evidence? Crummy reporting? Am I just an idiot that misread the articles I saw?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

FoolyCharged posted:

I'm just confused. I thought the police made their case based on a legit check from smollett to his co workers. The rope being identified as from a local shop where said coworkers had purchased rope recently and said rope at coworkers place. Dropping charges with all of that feels a little goofy.

Was it fake evidence? Crummy reporting? Am I just an idiot that misread the articles I saw?

Chicago PD isn't exactly known for being thorough and unbiased avatars of justice.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
This case just remains bizarre to me. Nothing makes sense on any level.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
So is going to sue them or what. It seems fairly cut and dry if they just decided to drop everything.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HootTheOwl posted:

This case just remains bizarre to me. Nothing makes sense on any level.
That's what the cops want, though. Muddy the waters. Make you not believe the victim immediately.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

CBS posted:

Statement from Cook County State's Attorney's Office

"After reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr. Smollett's volunteer service in the community and agreement to forfeit his bond to the City of Chicago, we believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case," the Cook County State's Attorney's Office said in a statement Tuesday.

Smollett had posted $10,000 bond to be released from jail after he was arrested in late February.

Well I guess that explains the swift change. It's either a massive bribe or extortion of an innocent man in the most ridiculous of ways

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
It's CPD. They likely did some kind of illegal poo poo that they got away with a hundred times before but this time torpedoed their own case when it got high profile. Now they're panicking and trying to make it all go away quietly, nothing to see here, don't ask what happened just, uhhhhhh, move along.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

The check was legit for training for his new music video, going by both the memo line and the rates on their website/youtube page.

Iirc they bought the masks (Before the biggest cold snap if the season) on tape and no rope.

The biggest thing is his family is the one who wanted the FBI involved (his parents are old school activists iirc, so there's no way they'd call in the Feds if they thought he was guilty) and as soon as the FBI got involved, we went from having several leaks a day to loving NOTHING and whoops charges withdrawn, case sealed, nothing to see here.

CPD did something dirty

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Koalas March posted:

The check was legit for training for his new music video, going by both the memo line and the rates on their website/youtube page.

Iirc they bought the masks (Before the biggest cold snap if the season) on tape and no rope.

The biggest thing is his family is the one who wanted the FBI involved (his parents are old school activists iirc, so there's no way they'd call in the Feds if they thought he was guilty) and as soon as the FBI got involved, we went from having several leaks a day to loving NOTHING and whoops charges withdrawn, case sealed, nothing to see here.

CPD did something dirty

Exactly this, once the FBI got involved it was immediately apparent that CPD were doing the leaks.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Koalas March posted:

CPD did something dirty

CPD is so loving dirty that if they're giving toys to cancer kids you gotta check to see if they toys are stolen or if they gave cancer to the kids first

It's crazy that people are still trying to go to bat for CPD about literally anything ever

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/juliebosman/status/1110591301395931136

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Huh, if the fbi got chicago off his case why on earth did he surrender his bond to them? Hes got how hush money flows backwards.

e: ^^^^^^^^^^^
Welp, or it was an off the books fine and they didn't back off at all

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 27, 2019

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
The Fraternal Order of Police on Tuesday unleashed its anger at Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx after charges were dropped against Jussie Smollett and renewed its call for a federal investigation into Foxx’s “interference” in the case.

“The conduct of her office from the very beginning of this cases was highly, highly suspicious,” Martin Preib, the FOP’s second vice president, told the Chicago Sun-Times.

“The entire country is outraged by it. The evidence is overwhelming that he was legitimately charged in this case. This decision [to drop the charges] appears to be utterly arbitrary, capricious and suspicious.”

That criticism was echoed by Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Police Supt. Eddie Johnson, who spoke to reporters at Navy Pier after a graduation ceremony for new and promoted CPD officers.

“From top to bottom, this is not on the level,” Emanuel said, adding that it looks like another case where the wealthy and famous are treated differently.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

lmao

yea I'm sure the Chicago police graciously dropped a case against a black man because they figured he'd suffered enough and paid his debt to society, that sounds like them.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Prosecutors, a group noted for their reticence to prosecute slam dunk cases against black men

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Prosecutors, a group noted for their reticence to prosecute slam dunk cases against black men

the prosecutor is Kim Foxx, a black woman (a demographic not commonly stereotyped as racist towards black men) who is longtime friends with the Smollet family, who recused herself from the case after texts between her and Jussie's family members were leaked. Im sure none of this has anything to do with why her office dropped the charges.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I think the guy probably needs mental help and some encouragement to stop lying, since he is doing an incredibly bad and disrespectful thing to victims of hate crimes by doing this.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The cop who supervised the strangulation of Eric Garner for selling loosies was a black woman so clearly the cops were in the right and there was nothing racist about that at all

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

The cop who supervised the strangulation of Eric Garner for selling loosies was a black woman so clearly the cops were in the right and there was nothing racist about that at all

yeah this is mostly a case about class in that rich people can do whatever they want and get no comeuppance while people like eric garner die in the street for loosies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

We can't know that because nothing a cop says can be believed, ever