Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Thanks for this! I get the firm stuff costco has. Still worth pressing/draining? I could substitute cornstarch with flour...?
Yeah, press it, it makes a huge difference. Not sure on cornstarch vs four, but you can skip the cornstarch and still get a relatively crispy tofu

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Can I ask a total amateur question? At what point in the cooking process in consideration with adding cooking oils etc are you adding all the seasoning or sauces for flavor? More of a general question tbh. I'm sure there's some varying answers depending on what it is.

For stirfry generally my process is:

Prep all your veggies, pre-fry your tofu.

Heat oil till its nice and hot.

If you're using onions, add them now, and cook until they start to get translucent, but not brown.

Add your aromatics, ginger, garlic, any spices you want to "bloom" or develop flavors for. Wait for 30 seconds, or until you can really smell them. Make sure the garlic doesn't burn or everything will be terrible.

Add your harder veggies, those with longer cook times, carrots, peppers, etc. Cook until you're happy with them. (Carrots are fork tender, you like the firmness of the pepper) Your onion should be nice and soft too.

Add the quicker cooking ingredients, mushrooms, green veggies you just want to wilt.

Add your tofu or cooked meat of choice

Once those are ready, add your sauce ingredients, soy sauce, peanut sauce, thai chili sauce, what have you. Let them cook for a little bit until they're reduced, and everything is nice and coated.

During the whole process, keep tasting stuff to make sure its cooked to the consistency you want.

Stirfrys are very forgiving, you can throw whatever veggies you want. The important thing is: onions first, aromatics next, veggies, mixins, sauce.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Disregard my previous question, I'm also apparently out of rice vinegar so I guess this mess is going in the fridge until tomorrow

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I have some oxtail that I plan on cooking this weekend. I usually do a braise/stew with it but I'm looking for other ideas. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Gomtang or seolleongtang

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

captkirk posted:

Super stupid question but... why is it that I can't seem to cook anything in my oven or stove top without smoking out my apartment? Food comes out fine, nothing burnt or overcooked but it seems like I set my smoke detector off nearly 50% of the time I cook. Am I just cooking on too hot a stove top even though my food it coming out fine? Using the wrong fat in my skillet?

Clean your oven, stove, and the bottoms of your pans.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Tonight I came into possession of about 3lbs of cooked (but not seasoned) flaked cod, and a few pounds of mixed BBQ and buffalo chicken "boneless wings", AKA nuggets. (My restaurant hosted a party and these were part of not-regular menu items, so they were up for grabs as leftovers at the end of the night.)

The cod, I'm wondering if I could get away with making a brandade kinda thing? Thoughts? It's not salt cod but it's cod, and I don't know what else to do with this ziploc full of of bland rear end fish. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

The chix nuggets... If I try to reheat them as is, the breading is gonna be all gummy, I just know it. Plus there's no way I can eat this many nuggets in one sitting, delicious as they are. If someone handed you approximately 120 cooked, sauced McNuggets, what the hell would you do with them? I'm thinking either some kind of horrible AFP casserole, or chopping them into burrito filling and freezing those. Again, suggestions welcomed.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

JacquelineDempsey posted:

If someone handed you approximately 120 cooked, sauced McNuggets, what the hell would you do with them?

I'd probably eat the entire batch over the course of a day and a couple bottles of wine then spend a week hating myself for it.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Tonight I came into possession of about 3lbs of cooked (but not seasoned) flaked cod, and a few pounds of mixed BBQ and buffalo chicken "boneless wings", AKA nuggets. (My restaurant hosted a party and these were part of not-regular menu items, so they were up for grabs as leftovers at the end of the night.)

The cod, I'm wondering if I could get away with making a brandade kinda thing? Thoughts? It's not salt cod but it's cod, and I don't know what else to do with this ziploc full of of bland rear end fish. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

The chix nuggets... If I try to reheat them as is, the breading is gonna be all gummy, I just know it. Plus there's no way I can eat this many nuggets in one sitting, delicious as they are. If someone handed you approximately 120 cooked, sauced McNuggets, what the hell would you do with them? I'm thinking either some kind of horrible AFP casserole, or chopping them into burrito filling and freezing those. Again, suggestions welcomed.

Shouldn't be any problem with turning the cod I to brandade (fish spread) just be aware that it will have a lot more moisture than salt cured fish so don't add more juice than you need.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

pile of brown posted:

Shouldn't be any problem with turning the cod I to brandade (fish spread) just be aware that it will have a lot more moisture than salt cured fish so don't add more juice than you need.

Yeah, heard, on the moisture. Though I've always soaked the gently caress out of my bacalao making traditional brandade, so squishy wet fish are my usual starting point anyways. I squeezed and patted it dry before stowing it into a ziploc and decide what to do with it.

Stringent posted:

I'd probably eat the entire batch over the course of a day and a couple bottles of wine then spend a week hating myself for it.

If I hadn't already gorged on some of the other leftovers (smoked chicken salad on garlic crostini is the tits, y'all), I'd be right there with you, friend. But such is not the case, so into a gallon ziploc they go until I figure out what to do with them.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

I don't know what else to do with this ziploc full of of bland rear end fish. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Grind it up fine (like, seriously, into a goop), mix in an egg per pound of fish, a bit of breadcrumbs, and some sour cream since you don't have any fattier fish mixed in with it. Add finely minced onion, garlic, dill, parsley, white pepper, grated lemon peel, salt. Fry into balls or patties, eat with tartar sauce or remoulade and starch and vegetable sides of your choice. Alternatively, stuff them in some rye buns to make burgers that hurt the feelings of the American people.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Could you make fish cakes with the cod? I bet they’d freeze well

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Brandade was going to be my suggestion, just adjust seasoning and be careful you don’t add too much cream and/or mixed some breadcrumbs into it instead of just roasting on top.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

If I try to reheat them as is, the breading is gonna be all gummy, I just know it. Plus there's no way I can eat this many nuggets in one sitting, delicious as they are. If someone handed you approximately 120 cooked, sauced McNuggets, what the hell would you do with them?
e: drat, missed the 'sauced' bit and now this advice is useless. Sorry, dude!

Wet nug party is the only way.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Rip a huge bowl and dig in

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Sounds like a perfect job for an Air fryer!

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Any recommendations for a Japanese cookbook?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

My wife has recently started baking bread. And it’s really great and requires no further improvement.

However, I have a question about nutrition and diet, and perhaps there’s a moral dimension too. I need some advice:

Is it wrong for one person to eat a whole loaf of bread in the morning?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
LOL I started baking bread recently but had to stop because I would eat the entire loaf with butter in a matter of hours. I just couldn't help myself.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Made a loaf last night, ate it last night. Feels right

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That’s why I stopped making my own bread. Because I realized I couldn’t possibly make enough bread to keep up with my increased bread consumption when I made bread.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That’s why I stopped making my own bread. Because I realized I couldn’t possibly make enough bread to keep up with my increased bread consumption when I made bread.

Yeah, this is why I rehomed my sourdough starter. :smith:

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It's still cheaper than store-bought bread, even if you throw half of it out. Following the recipes in Flour Water Yeast Salt, a whole loaf takes about 75 cents of flour, maybe 5 cents of salt and yeast, and some tap water. And the loaf is (almost) the same quality as the $5 loaves of bread in a local bakery. Even if my family eats only half the loaf before it goes bad, it's still better than buying bread.

EDIT: And once I'd done it a few times, it's less effort to mix the ingredients and stretch the dough a few times than it is to drive to the grocery store and stand in line at the cashier.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bagheera posted:

It's still cheaper than store-bought bread, even if you throw half of it out. Following the recipes in Flour Water Yeast Salt, a whole loaf takes about 75 cents of flour, maybe 5 cents of salt and yeast, and some tap water. And the loaf is (almost) the same quality as the $5 loaves of bread in a local bakery. Even if my family eats only half the loaf before it goes bad, it's still better than buying bread.

EDIT: And once I'd done it a few times, it's less effort to mix the ingredients and stretch the dough a few times than it is to drive to the grocery store and stand in line at the cashier.

I hear you, it's all valid. It's just that, at some point, I was eating WAY too much bread.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Bagheera posted:

I get my groceries primarily through fresh direct and really only go out for specialty items, the idea of walking ten minutes to get a loaf of bread is baffling to me. I tend to make a big loaf every other weekend, eat half with the chicken roast, and then freeze the other half (quartered and mostly sliced) to be reheated into garlic bread or whatever. I don't think I've ever had a baguette have "leftovers".

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You can still use the stale leftovers for things like breadcrumbs, croutons, bread pudding, stuffing, etc.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Make a curry with some of the cod. Drop it in right before finishing and bring it up to heat in the sauce. Just cheat and buy curry paste instead of going from scratch, 90% of the delicious for 20% of the effort.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Slice and freeze half the loaf right away so you always have access to toast and bread crumbs

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I'm baffled by everyone posting bread storage tips in reply to a bunch of people saying they go through bread too fast

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

amenbrotep posted:

Any recommendations for a Japanese cookbook?

Izakaya and The Japanese Kitchen are the ones I have, they're good. justonecookbook.com is a good online resource too.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Izakaya and The Japanese Kitchen are the ones I have, they're good. justonecookbook.com is a good online resource too.

Seconding justonecookbook.com. Justhungry.com is nice. Also, search youtube for Cooking With Dog, endearing and can give you ideas for dinner.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Dope, thanks! Is Izakaya the one by Mark Robinson or Hideo Dekura? Seem to be two out there.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

pile of brown posted:

I'm baffled by everyone posting bread storage tips in reply to a bunch of people saying they go through bread too fast

Cuz they're fat goons with no self control. Hide half the loaf and they won't eat that half right away.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

TheCog posted:

Press your tofu.

This is an extremely important bit. I've went and bought myself a tofu presser, even in an extra firm tofu there is over half a cup of water in a block of tofu. You want that out of there, this is not a step you get to skip. Not only will that water make the tofu soggy when you cook it, thats where all the soy flavor is that will overpower your sauces.

Press the hell out of it, throw it in a bag with some soy sauce (E: I realize the irony in telling you to press water to remove the soy taste and then to add soy sauce. Fermented salty soy sauce is way more tasty then soy water :v:) to marinade for half an hour, coat it in breading of your choice and shallow fry it.

This is some tofu sticks I made before, served it with pasta and bbq sauce to dip in. Wasn't too bad, satisfies a fried food craving.

Leal fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 24, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Our basil plant is going buck wild so I'm thinking of trimming it and making pesto. Anyone have a pesto recipe that's more exciting than the standard basil + pine nuts + garlic + parmesan + olive oil combo?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Casu Marzu posted:

Cuz they're fat goons with no self control. Hide half the loaf and they won't eat that half right away.

Haha, you are completely underestimating the ingenuity of the glutton. Nowhere is safe!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bollock Monkey posted:

Put them under the... I think Americans call it a broiler? For 15-20 minutes, turning once half way through. It should be foolproof. Alternatively, maybe you need to buy nicer sausages?

Alright so I gave this another go, this time under the grill, and while they cooked nicely again I was left with very tough skin, like "hard to put a fork through it" tough. And this is with yet another type of "high quality" sausage. I guess I'll keep trying :(

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Your sausage trials are super confusing to me as a lifelong sausage eater and recently, maker. Can you post literal pictures of your literal sausages before and after you cook them next time?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Doom Rooster posted:

Your sausage trials are super confusing to me as a lifelong sausage eater and recently, maker. Can you post literal pictures of your literal sausages before and after you cook them next time?

Sure.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

C-Euro posted:

Our basil plant is going buck wild so I'm thinking of trimming it and making pesto. Anyone have a pesto recipe that's more exciting than the standard basil + pine nuts + garlic + parmesan + olive oil combo?

Sundried tomatoes and chili are pretty tasty additions. I'm no expert though, I was in the same situation as you and started adding random stuff that I like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

C-Euro posted:

One year I just started throwing everything I had into mine. I made one that was like half basil, half arugula then garlic, shallot, pecans, walnuts, olive oil and then a few dried cranberries. It was actually really good. Now I make pesto a different way every time and just use whatever the garden has got or whatever leftover bulk nuts I have stored up.