Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

hunter2

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

This is supposed to be idiots on social media, not cute people on social media! :3:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
That was peak early 00's message board humour.

"This forum has a feature which automatically hides your password. Look ***********. Try it out."

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I remember when we would fake link to [url= http://goatse.ru/hello.jpg]things[/url] on IRC.

modedit since it was rendering for some folks :v:

Somebody has a new favorite as of 22:52 on Mar 24, 2019

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jippa posted:

That was peak early 00's message board humour.

"This forum has a feature which automatically hides your password. Look ***********. Try it out."

This still works in online games.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

"/gquit and /lol are fishing together one day when /lol falls overboard, who's still left in the boat?"

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah to this day you still see people falling for "What's the command for (whatever)" and then someone replying "alt-F4".

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I remember when we would fake link to things on IRC.

We used to have "sigs" (big obnoxious images and text below every post). I had a fake link embedded which would put my buddy on your ignore list (this was before people understood what that really was because we were new to the internet).

:smuggo:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

You still see people on here falling for the one where you slightly mangle the user profile URL and it just shows you your own.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Len posted:

Why would you take a 3 year old to Disney? They aren't going to remember it and it's going to be hot and they'll be grumpy

Or Sleepy.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Memento posted:

Yeah to this day you still see people falling for "What's the command for (whatever)" and then someone replying "alt-F4".

Or that guy whose gamertag was Xbox Sign Out getting people to say his name in voice chat. I'm not gonna look up the video because I assume it's rife with gamer words.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

burexas.irom posted:

Or that guy whose gamertag was Xbox Sign Out getting people to say his name in voice chat. I'm not gonna look up the video because I assume it's rife with gamer words.

Gah, I looked up the video and the second he provokes a woman to say it the caption comes up with *sexy girl laugh* and I slammed the window shut on instinct

gently caress gamers

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

You're the woman in this story, only it's not snakes and venom but gamers and gamer words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuHK8iROgJ0

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

The Shame Boy posted:

"/gquit and /lol are fishing together one day when /lol falls overboard, who's still left in the boat?"

"They added a new dance to the game! Try it yourself by typing in /disco"

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

When I was 12 I correctly guessed a friends AIM password was “robotsareawesome” and sometimes I wonder if Danny is still out there, thinking robots are very cool.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlzkjieJuoQ

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The Awful chrome extension automatically parsed this to display inline, so that's an amazing cascade of NSFW gaping fun. Thank you.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I missed the screenshot and am super pissed, but I had that Styxnhammer or whatever that fascist fuckhead is called show up in my recommendations. I went through the "not interested" options for hiding it and one of then was "don't show recommendations based on Bill and Ted 3 announcement"

One click and I get fascist youtubers recommended. It doesn't happen eventually, it happens instantly.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

I remember making IRC channels with "Hit Alt-F4 for HOT PIX!!!!"

Amazing how well that worked.

EDIT: And beaten of course. Sorta.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Gee thanks :effort:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Moktaro posted:

I remember making IRC channels with "Hit Alt-F4 for HOT PIX!!!!"

Amazing how well that worked.

EDIT: And beaten of course. Sorta.

During the early internet my friend had downloaded a free2play, 2d turn based shooter, and because the game had been recently made available in NA from China it was not especially intuitive. "ALT-F4 2 SHOOT" got a good chuckle.

I would play this game for year afterwards.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lol what? I have so many questions.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Lowtax added a new shortcut, hit ctrl+w to have sex with walugi.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

MarcusSA posted:

Lol what? I have so many questions.

Genuine answer - it's a push for raising awareness by wearing odd socks, because chromosomes are sock shaped and they have an extra one. Honest.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

turns out I've been supporting people with Downs literally every day for the last 10 years at least

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Picnic Princess posted:

I missed the screenshot and am super pissed, but I had that Styxnhammer or whatever that fascist fuckhead is called show up in my recommendations. I went through the "not interested" options for hiding it and one of then was "don't show recommendations based on Bill and Ted 3 announcement"

One click and I get fascist youtubers recommended. It doesn't happen eventually, it happens instantly.

Hey, The Algorithm says that people will go from literally any topic to one of the fascist channels, who are you to judge

Please ignore that The Algorithm is also currently concluding that fascist channels are related to literally any topic and pushing people to go to them

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

darkwasthenight posted:

Genuine answer - it's a push for raising awareness by wearing odd socks, because chromosomes are sock shaped and they have an extra one. Honest.

Ok fair enough but that post still doesn’t make much sense.

Thanks for the answer though I didn’t know that.

I honestly thought they were making a joke about them not being able to match their socks.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!

Biplane posted:

turns out I've been supporting people with Downs literally every day for the last 10 years at least

It doesn't work unless you post pictures of it on facebook to show everybody how supportive you are.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

darkwasthenight posted:

To someone that doesn't have a Facebook to be bombarded with crap like this, it looks like they are saying that people with down syndrome are incapable of matching socks.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

belt posted:

To someone that doesn't have a Facebook to be bombarded with crap like this, it looks like they are saying that people with down syndrome are incapable of matching socks.

That’s what I thought!! I was like man that’s kinda hosed up.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Clam Chowdown posted:

It doesn't work unless you post pictures of it on facebook to show everybody how supportive you are.

It's 100% this. It's like-bait poo poo from a terrible person.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I don't see how it would raise awareness unless they also told people. Unless you're wearing shorts very few people will notice, and most people will just assume it's your eclectic style.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Skwirl posted:

I don't see how it would raise awareness unless they also told people. Unless you're wearing shorts very few people will notice, and most people will just assume it's your eclectic style.

Aaaaaaand that's why this person posted it on FB.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I heard about it from one of the elderly regulars at my work who had a child with Downs Syndrome and was wearing mismatched socks.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I’m just a simple country lawyer, but wouldn’t a t-shirt that said “Support People With Down Syndrome” be a more effective way to raise awareness?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

AlbieQuirky posted:

I’m just a simple country lawyer, but wouldn’t a t-shirt that said “Support People With Down Syndrome” be a more effective way to raise awareness?

that's much too "in your face" the ideal way to show support is quietly in a way that 99,9% of people won't even notice

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/thephilippics/status/1109754604462530560?s=21

Neoliberalism is dying your hair blue, and the more blue your hair is, the more neoliberal you are.

(Also, it’s totally not a coincidence that they’ve deliberately used a picture of one of the country’s most famous gay rights activists and one of the country’s most famous transgender people)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Ahh I didnt see Izzard in there at first :3: