Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

pokie posted:

In which situations do y'all use truck stations?

I use trucks for coal, oil, and fuel. Fuel is a separate truck because I refine it on the spot to power the oil pumps, the rest of the oil gets shipped to the factory for refining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I hope an object scanner can be built for scanning for pod wrecks. Finding them is a little tricky.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I went on an expedition to find some today. I got hopelessly lost.. But there is some really cool terrain out there! (I got 3 hard drives)

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
How long can the truck routes be? I found the double oil site and it's 2.5k from my base. Seems a stretch, but belting it seems pretty crazy too idk.

Also has anyone found a way to blow up the large round rocks? I've found some intriguing pathways blocked off by them, and also my craterium deposit.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

How long can the truck routes be? I found the double oil site and it's 2.5k from my base. Seems a stretch, but belting it seems pretty crazy too idk.

Also has anyone found a way to blow up the large round rocks? I've found some intriguing pathways blocked off by them, and also my craterium deposit.

The large round rocks are probably only going to be blow-uppable when Sulfur research is made public, which their roadmap says should be sometime late next month.

Not sure how long a truck route can be but I bet there's not much of a limit.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Trucks are cheaper and higher throughput than belts for mid-length (>500m to maybe 1.5k? Depends on belt level vs truck level and all that) routes, assuming terrain isn't awful. Pretty sure the two intended limiters for truck routes is limited fuel capacity and that throughput will be kind of garbage if it's a long distance on a single vehicle. Not so much the autopilot itself.

We're ultimately supposed to handle long hauls with trains I expect but since they're not in you can try running relay if you really want to deliver something very distant. Make two (or more) stations at the half way point or something like that, where trucks from your the resource deposit unload into their stations, which belts all the goods to a loading station that is served by a second truck delivering to your base. I haven't set anything like that up, so no idea how annoying it is with fuel and all.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
You could just run multiple trucks.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Do you have to do some kind of special keystroke or something to pick alternative blueprints? I unlocked one after researching a hard drive but now I can't figure out how to actually USE it.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Finally got to and started looking for oil. The only one I could find was down in a toxic valley with a hair raising route to get down there so I decided to .. take measures.

Behold: The Bridge.

The truck can just barely get up that 45 degree angle.. 11km/h. Hence the conveyor route up and across. I'm planning to put oil refining and the computer factory on the cliff area there.

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
I went with a gigantic conveyor system from my coal outpost to my main base mostly for looks and to have a single pathway for when trains get implemented.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Glagha posted:

Do you have to do some kind of special keystroke or something to pick alternative blueprints? I unlocked one after researching a hard drive but now I can't figure out how to actually USE it.

Did you complete the milestone too? Researching just adds a milestone, you have to complete that before you can actually use the blueprint.

totalnewbie posted:

You could just run multiple trucks.

It's better to just swap your tractor for the truck at that point, multiple tractors would need some extra work to make sure they don't crash into each other. The truck has enough throughput for anything currently in game unless you're running across truly absurd distances or are trying to run an entire end game factory using only coal or something.

Astroniomix fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 24, 2019

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

What is everyone doing for remembering long routes for trucks? I'm basically building a power line the entire way from my main base to satellite bases, both to supply power, and to act as way markers.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I just strung a mk3 belt all the way back from the oil site I mentioned last night. ~1200 beams or so :downs: I don't think any number of vehicles could keep up with that sort of throughput. Once I unlock the fuel generator I can go back and make sure it self powers too.

Now to unlock a few more recipes before ripping everything up and laying it out again.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I just strung a mk3 belt all the way back from the oil site I mentioned last night. ~1200 beams or so :downs: I don't think any number of vehicles could keep up with that sort of throughput.

A single truck will.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Scarcity is really off in this game so far I’ve noticed. All three of the starting locations has the closest iron deposit you scan for have 3-4 pure nodes of iron. You can’t even fully utilise a pure node until you get splitters and tier 2 belts and I never felt a need to upgrade my mines or smelters later on because of it. This means I don’t really have an incentive to go and explore. Me and my friends are running a massive tier 5 factory off a single pure copper node.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Scarcity is really off in this game so far I’ve noticed. All three of the starting locations has the closest iron deposit you scan for have 3-4 pure nodes of iron. You can’t even fully utilise a pure node until you get splitters and tier 2 belts and I never felt a need to upgrade my mines or smelters later on because of it. This means I don’t really have an incentive to go and explore. Me and my friends are running a massive tier 5 factory off a single pure copper node.

An abundance of materials means you've got a deficit of production.

Satisfactory lacks a time pressure pushing you to increase your throughput of the things you already produce. In fact, I think the lack of automated power in tier 1-2 teaches bad habits, because it discourages you from really parallelising your production - if you want to make reinforced plates happen faster, that means another assembler fed by more constructors fed by smelters fed by miners, and that's going to massively increase the amount of biomass you need to forage for. You can and probably did get that first pod out with only a single assember for each input, and that kind of teaches you to do the same for the next one. It'll be slow, but it's not going anywhere, you can wait, especially since there's plenty to explore with that time.

Obviously it's better to build more, but the game doesn't do much to make you. It's an issue the Factorio devs brought up recently in a blog post about the combat tutorial; some players will set up a single assembler and lab for research then go AFK while it slooooowly unlocks the next tech. Making multiple machines to produce the same outputs just doesn't occur to them. They use combat to force players out of that habit; the biters will make greater demands of your bullet production and you need to increase it whether you want to or not. Then you can start applying that principle to production for progression.

Satisfactory needs something like that. It doesn't have to be wave combat like Factorio. Factory Town has the happiness mechanic - you need a certain level of happiness to hit your upgrades, and happiness decays; to get more you need to actually increase the amount and variety of goods you're delivering. Maybe Satisfactory could change the way the space elevator works, so rather than requiring you to build up to a single package to send off, it demands a particular rate of goods supplied, and if you drop below that rate you can't research milestones in that tier? Just spitballing here.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

A big part of what drives exploration is needing the more exotic materials. There's several resource types out on the map that currently don't have any associated blueprint (including S.A.M. Ore, which should be neat). A single pure copper node, even with caterium suplementing wire production wasn't enough for me to run a manufacturer producing computers at full speed, I ended up having to ship in extra copper ore to keep everything running at full speed. It gets even worse once you start making super computers. Circuits use a ton of wire. Also don't forget about the power slugs and hard drives, alternative blueprints and overclocking let you get a huge amount of throughput out of a small number of machines.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
That's funny, with the iron ingot from copper ore, and the copper wire from iron ingots alternate recipes, I just bring my copper ores to my iron smelting and remove copper from my supply chain completely. It simplifies logistics quite a bit.

Now that I have oil coming in I can make computers and will see if a truck really can supply a full mk3 belt worth of materials. Does it unload instantly and then buffer an wagonload in the depot or something?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

That's funny, with the iron ingot from copper ore, and the copper wire from iron ingots alternate recipes, I just bring my copper ores to my iron smelting and remove copper from my supply chain completely. It simplifies logistics quite a bit.

Now that I have oil coming in I can make computers and will see if a truck really can supply a full mk3 belt worth of materials. Does it unload instantly and then buffer an wagonload in the depot or something?

The truck stop can move 1 stack every .5 seconds for as long as the truck is within the loading area. The truck can be moving while the station loads/unloads it, it just needs to be touching the box.

I have extra time so I started mathing out how fast trucks/tractors move things. My oil truck takes 3:21 to make one round trip to the oil base that's about 1.2k from the unloading dock, rounding that up to 3:30 for simplicity's sake gives a throughput of 1,371 items per minute. A tractor takes 3:45 to make the same trip giving a throughput of 666 items/minute.

E: realistically tractors/trucks can only move 450 items a minute since that's how fast a tier 4 belt can shove things into the station anyway. Trucks just save on material costs.

Astroniomix fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 24, 2019

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

It takes a while to load and unload trucks, I think it does two stacks per second or there about. The truck carries 40 stacks, same as the truck station's capacity.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I found a crashed pod, how do I open it? It wants 40 MWh or similar so are their batteries or do I need to run power poles to it?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Ratzap posted:

I found a crashed pod, how do I open it? It wants 40 MWh or similar so are their batteries or do I need to run power poles to it?

Either run power or bring the materials to make a coal generator + some coal and just set it down next to the pod.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
FYI it needs all that power at once, so you may have to build multiple power generators.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Ratzap posted:

Yep, I just plopped down a couple biomass generators and wired them up for those. A few seconds later and it's done.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

What does "at once" mean? How quickly does it charge?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Dr. Stab posted:

What does "at once" mean? How quickly does it charge?

It doesn't charge, it just draws 40mw of power constantly as long as it's connected until you open the door. If you don't feed it enough power it will just trip the breaker for whatever network you have it connected to.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Astroniomix posted:

It doesn't charge, it just draws 40mw of power constantly as long as it's connected until you open the door.

Oh, so the listed requirements are lying to you? Good to know, I guess.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Dr. Stab posted:

Oh, so the listed requirements are lying to you? Good to know, I guess.

It's not lying, unlike factorio buildings don't store electricity, in this game they just use their full listed amount any time they are operating.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Astroniomix posted:

It's not lying, unlike factorio buildings don't store electricity, in this game they just use their full listed amount any time they are operating.

What you just said was that a pod that says it requires 40MWh to open instead just needs a 40MW connection.

It's like saying you need to travel 100km but what actually fills the requirement is going 100 km/h for 1 second.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Dr. Stab posted:

What you just said was that a pod that says it requires 40MWh to open instead just needs a 40MW connection.

It's like saying you need to travel 100km but what actually fills the requirement is going 100 km/h for 1 second.

Actually now that you mention it I don't know if it draws 40MW the whole time or if it just drains 40MW all at once, I'll have to see if I can find one and then disconnect it before opening it. I do know that if you hook it up to a network that doesn't have 40mw of spare capacity it will blow your system. It likely works that way to stop you from cheesing the pods with a single biomass generator.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I mean, if you hooked exactly 40MW up to it and it opened in less than one hour, it didn't consume 40MWh of energy.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Dr. Stab posted:

I mean, if you hooked exactly 40MW up to it and it opened in less than one hour, it didn't consume 40MWh of energy.

That's a good point I guess. It might just be an oversight and the forgot to change the display.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Some kind of battery or something analogous to the accumulators in factorio would be a loving godsend

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
We're trying to start a small goon game so I started a very basic goon discord server at https://discord.gg/JqNkas if anyone wants to join in (1 day link). Not going to go for more than the default 4 players, since apparently it gets super buggy. We'll see how it goes I guess.

E: Well, apparently it can get super buggy with 2 players: we crashed whenever someone scanned for minerals and so I quit like a quitter. Leaving the server running if anyone less transatlantic wants to poke pokie.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 25, 2019

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Xerophyte posted:

We're trying to start a small goon game so I started a very basic goon discord server at https://discord.gg/39u7wD if anyone wants to join in (link expires in 6 hours from this post). Not going to go for more than the default 4 players, since apparently it gets super buggy. We'll see how it goes I guess.

Welp, the game crashed when Xerophyte tried to scan for resources. Twice. It could have something to do with latency between US and Europe. Either way I want to try it with another US goon to check.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I already have a group I'm playing with so I won't be joining, but I can say that's definitely not a issue I've had. We've put in about a dozen or so hours as a group and the only frustrating bug we've gotten is players leaving behind a body when they log out.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Taffer posted:

the only frustrating bug we've gotten is players leaving behind a body when they log out.

This is very frustrating

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How much "game" is there? It just came out on early access, but some games release nearly complete, and others release with absolutely nothing.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Turtlicious posted:

How much "game" is there? It just came out on early access, but some games release nearly complete, and others release with absolutely nothing.

There is about 16 hours of game until you are done with game's stated goals. Then you can gently caress around and explore. I would say it's 70% there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oho, I was wondering where to find a source of mycinia and it turns out if you chainsaw those coral things in the coral desert region, they're full of it.

I think I've exhausted the tech tree in my jungle-start game. Wound up building a huge cliffside base with some walkways going across the chasm to the oil deposits across the way. The jetpack does get you some ups, but I really prefer the blade runners overall; no fuel and you jump like a madman.

We've got three to four weeks before new techs come out based on sulfer and quartz and I am seriously going to have to not play until then because I wanna feel like I'm learning the game all over again.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 25, 2019