Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

silvergoose posted:

Most mornings I'm content with work coffee or my usual pourover, but hell if sometimes I need a kick to the face. Haven't made moka pot Cafe bustelo in a while, but it really hit the spot.

I used the very exact measurements of "pour coffee in until it's not quite at the top, pour recently boiled water until it's just below the release valve, add sugar and cream until it's right."

Are there any more, um, accurate sizings anyone has, or is that just mostly the way to go?

Would have done the mix the first bit with sugar thing except kids are too demanding.

The capacity of my my 4-cup Bialetti is very close to three and a half tablespoons of unground beans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

This started off as simply trying to readjust the water dose level rod thingies.
Turned into an all out defunking of the water dose tank. Huge flakes of some kind of bio-film/scale. Have it soaking with hot vinegar for now will flush it out thoroughly after the fact.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
My AA sponsor gave me some unroasted coffee beans and a popcorn popper that has been modified to roast coffee beans.

I've watched a few videos and I think I get the idea. You wait for the second pop right? Obviously it depends how dark you want to roast them but I've heard you want 2 pops for a dark roast. How long after the first pop should you wait if you want to produce a lighter roast? Does the kind of coffee make a significant difference?

Also how long should you allow for degassing? I've heard 24 hours, is this accurate or do you vary the amount of time for different types of roasts? Also do you need to place the beans in a plastic bag or can you just put it in a tupper-ware container?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Anytime between first and 2nd crack is fine depending on the bean. You can go past 2nd crack for charbucks and eventually a fire.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

EngineerJoe posted:

Anytime between first and 2nd crack is fine depending on the bean. You can go past 2nd crack for charbucks and eventually a fire.

I gotta run some errands but I'm gonna try my hand at it. Will post pics of what hopefully doesn't turn out to be a house fire lol.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

64bit_Dophins posted:

I gotta run some errands but I'm gonna try my hand at it. Will post pics of what hopefully doesn't turn out to be a house fire lol.

Just remember first crack sounds kind loudish and fast and 2nd crack sounds like a bowl of rice krispies.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

64bit_Dophins posted:

Keep in mind that the internal heat of the beans is going to keep roasting them somewhat after you've turned off the heat. It's kinda like horseshoes.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mr. Mambold posted:

Keep in mind that the internal heat of the beans is going to keep roasting them somewhat after you've turned off the heat. It's kinda like horseshoes.

Or, if you leave it long enough, hand grenades.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Yeah anything goes after first crack. When I started out I pushed a batch or two way past second crack just to get a sense of how fat they can be taken. There are a lot of good roasteries around me so these days the main appeal of home roast is getting super light roasts that most places wouldn't attempt.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Also be mindful of not heating the coffee beans up too quickly. A nice and steady rise in temperature gives me more consistent results than turning the burner up on high. Otherwise I get some coffee that hasn't hit first crack and some beans are all burnt up.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Mr. Mambold posted:

Learned this lesson the hard way.

It’s my Starbucks roast.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Anyone used the ninja's? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FDNBSNS/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza ? Still have 10 days to decide on a drip with timer.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Thumposaurus posted:

This started off as simply trying to readjust the water dose level rod thingies.
Turned into an all out defunking of the water dose tank. Huge flakes of some kind of bio-film/scale. Have it soaking with hot vinegar for now will flush it out thoroughly after the fact.

Dang, and I thought taking apart my Kuerig was a hassle. Put it back together and I had water leaking out of every crack. :downs:

I miss that Kuerig, it was great for a cheapo fix of coffee.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Anyone used the ninja's? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FDNBSNS/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza ? Still have 10 days to decide on a drip with timer.

I think a Chemex is so much better. Simpler and you have full control of the water heat. It takes like 4 minutes of work to make coffee.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Take a look at the nuwave, too. They meet the scaa standards.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
Alright, team:

Got a breville barista express and while I’ve been pretty happy with the performance of it, the clean/descale light has been on for about a week, despite me running 4 different clean cycles according to the instructions and three descale cycles.

Everything seems to be running fine, getting good pressure and flow, and the shots pull as well as they did before.

Is there anything I’m missing, or is there a way to reset the light?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I think a Chemex is so much better. Simpler and you have full control of the water heat. It takes like 4 minutes of work to make coffee.
I have a chemex/beehouse/ccd/aeropress now but I'm not doing pour over at 2am after a schedule change.

torgeaux posted:

Take a look at the nuwave, too. They meet the scaa standards.
no timer/autobrew :(

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I have a chemex/beehouse/ccd/aeropress now but I'm not doing pour over at 2am after a schedule change.

no timer/autobrew :(

Oxo barista brain

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
I'm after a pour over coffee maker for work, I currently use a cafetiere but there are limited facilities to wash it up so using a pour over with filter paper would simplify it a lot.

I like the look of the chemex but is it worth getting over a cheaper V60 coffee maker? I have access to an electric kettle in the office so that isn't a problem but it is just a standard one not a gooseneck or anything.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Ebola Dog posted:

I'm after a pour over coffee maker for work, I currently use a cafetiere but there are limited facilities to wash it up so using a pour over with filter paper would simplify it a lot.

I like the look of the chemex but is it worth getting over a cheaper V60 coffee maker? I have access to an electric kettle in the office so that isn't a problem but it is just a standard one not a gooseneck or anything.

Skip the chemex. Unless you really need big batch pourover. I find the brews come out pretty same/muted compared to a v60 or kalita or even a Melitta.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Ebola Dog posted:

I love the clever coffee dripper.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Ebola Dog posted:

I vastly prefer my v60 to my chemex for a single cup, and it’s certainly easier to clean properly

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Ebola Dog posted:

I have a clever coffee dripper in my office, it works great with non-gooseneck kettles since you don’t have to consistently pour through the brewing process.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
Thanks for the advice, sounds like a clever coffee dripper will be my best bet.

quackman
Jan 25, 2004
Chapstick
Any recommendations on relatively high-end hand grinders costing roughly $250? I had a LIDO E-T which I thought would last me a very long time. After roughly 3 years, the threads for the adjustment ring have rounded off, and now it won't tighten, just falls off. (Pretty annoying design flaw--using soft aluminum for the espresso-level very fine adjustment threads like needles).

So basically I'm looking for something in the $2-to-300 price range that's not a LIDO. I brew pretty full range, from super-fine Turkish grinds up to pour-over/french press, personal-use. I don't have an espresso machine yet, but want that level of adjustment. It seems like in the last couple years a bunch of new manual hand grinders have come out, and I want to know what's risen above all the junk out there. Even when I had gotten my LIDO a few years ago there were so many pretty, pricey hand grinders on the market, but they were considered mostly for show by coffee enthusiasts.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

You can probably contact OE about ordering more adjustment rings. Even if they only last three years each, you can probably get 10+ years of depreciable life for around $60, I’m guessing.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I use a Kinu M47 and it handles Turkish through pour-over pretty well, but I haven't read great things about French press. The travel version is $230 and the standard is $330. It may be worth checking out the Helor 101 since it comes with two sets of burrs for fine and coarse brews.

quackman
Jan 25, 2004
Chapstick

mulls posted:

You can probably contact OE about ordering more adjustment rings. Even if they only last three years each, you can probably get 10+ years of depreciable life for around $60, I’m guessing.

Thanks, I'm going to ask them what it'd cost. Doesn't seem like a regular replacement as they're not for sale on the site. However, it's not just the adjustment ring rounding off, but also the base it screws onto. I guess i gotta see if replacing both of those is worth it, especially if they could weaken again.

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

chiming in to say that i got a nespresso for my americanos per the thread’s recommendation and it’s been Extremely Needs Suiting. thank

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Today I learned to use a stove top espressos maker. It's so easy. I have no idea why I never bought one of these before... :eng99:

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Ebola Dog posted:

Thanks for the advice, sounds like a clever coffee dripper will be my best bet.

Aero presses are nice because it’s said in the Manuel that you don’t need boiling water to brew. I tried it with 165 and didn’t hate it. I want to get the prismo attachment fellow made for its just because.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
The Prismo is cool but one of the positives of the Aeropress for me is ease of cleanup, and the Prismo sdss a slightly annoying cleanup element. It's not awful, but it's a bitch when you're used to just popping the puck right into the trash.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Currently, I drink a large cup of instant coffee every morning with some milk. It's disgusting so I have been looking into some of the Hario pour over options or the french press along with a manual coffee grinder because I read that the bean should be less fine when I want to use it for the below option.

What do you think of this Hario Starter Set? https://www.amazon.com/Hario-Pour-Coffee-Starter-Clear/dp/B00JJIOJ7E/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=hario&qid=1554612852&s=gateway&sr=8-6&th=1

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 7, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's a bunch of useless stuff. You don't need a carafe or any other stuff. The Hario also needs specialized filters. I prefer this Bonmac or a Beehouse Dripper that uses the standard filters you can buy at any supermarket. Even a cheap plastic melitta you can find in any store will work fine.

https://www.amazon.com/bonmac-dripper-white-CD-2W-813005/dp/B0050EOCXW/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=bonmac+dripper&qid=1554620521&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Just keep it simple. All you need is a kettle, a gram scale, and the dripper. Manual grinding sucks but if you can't afford an electric one right now then it's better than nothing.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 7, 2019

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

My Clever Coffee hybrid submersion / pour over thing is my go to coffee maker on work days. I have the large one that I put 30 grams of medium grind beans with 480 grams of water for three minutes. That almost fills my 16 ounce thermos almost perfectly and it's idiot proof.

A real pour over with the fancy bloom and goose neck kettle may somehow make a better cup but the first time my morning gets busy I'd be finding an excuse to just stop at the coffee shop.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah I keep forgetting about the clever dripper. It's really good too and it's nice not using a kettle.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
That's pretty cool! So instead of the water pouring instantly out, with the Clever Coffee you can let the water sit there for a few minutes and then go into your cup? I'll definitely check this out.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's basically a french press with a paper filter. I just don't like that it's plastic but functionally it's fine.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I think someone makes a mostly-steel clever clone. I like that it's plastic and $20 instead of four times as expensive because "coffee"

I've broken one but it's certainly more durable than the extremely thin glass beakers that hario and bodum use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
How might one best go about getting that diner coffee taste? Really just however they do yer mass Denny's/ihop/mom n pop stuff? There's something distinct about it that's different than yer standard drip brew. What equipment do they use? I'm sure it's probably bad by most metrics but I don't care and want to try and reproduce it at home.