Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I had a luchador cleric named "The Ultimate Hammer" and invented a whole sect devoted to worshipping the Greyhawk god Kord through displays of athleticism and showmanship. Not sure why my DM insists on running in Greyhawk though, but he rolled with it and the campaign ended with me going one on one with a Randy Savage based competitor in a siege by Gnolls and such, and using the Geas spell to make him do a face-turn last second when he was just about to put me down, and join my side.

Edit: I flavored my spirit guardians and spiritual weapons as ghostly versions of famous WWE superstars. Spirit Guardians was a giant brawl and the enemies who got caught in it just took collateral damage from all the ghosts beating on each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Victorkm posted:

Not sure why my DM insists on running in Greyhawk though
My GM insists on running in Forgotten Realms so I'm jealous.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Setting talk. What campaign setting do most people play in? Are the forgotten realms/ sword coast the standard because of the books? Or do many people play in homebrew settings?

Also thanks for info on the bladesingers, I’ll see about working them into my campaign.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Man, you all make my current paladin-turned-overbrooding-sorcerer, Richard Manley (dick to his friends) seem positively pedestrian

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Nash posted:

Setting talk. What campaign setting do most people play in? Are the forgotten realms/ sword coast the standard because of the books? Or do many people play in homebrew settings?

Also thanks for info on the bladesingers, I’ll see about working them into my campaign.

Our group started with LMoP, so we're in that same area of Faerun everyone else is. But it's fun to build off of things that have happened, so I keep running the game in the Savage Frontier, though I sneak in my own worldbuilding when I can.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Nash posted:

I rely heavily on the Faerun background materials since it's so extensive and that lets me focus my attentions on other things. I like being able to layer things in both as a player and a DM, like basing my characters off of existing gods and locations, or including regular city holidays into my Waterdeep Heist updates, or immediately having background info available for Nobleman 14 when the players start getting exploratory. There has been talk in my group about running some sort of an Eberron airship campaign, perhaps modeled off of Storm King's Thunder. It sounds great, but it also sounds like a lot more work, and Eberron already has a variety of materials for it. The truly homebrew campaigns I've been involved in have always seemed to fray at the edges a bit - they can be exciting and fresh, but it takes a lot of DM effort to ensure that when you run off the edge of the map you find dragons - not the void.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Does anyone know a Discord extension that lets me play music/youtube videos for everyone on the server? I remember something similar brought in the previous thread but can't find it now. Got some sound/music specific events coming up for a campaign.

Nash posted:

Faerun, if only because it's the setting my regular group collectively has the most information on (between 2nd and 3rd edition books). That said we've got a player wanting to run the Midgard setting in the near future.

Current game I'm in, we're playing in Turmish. It's a nice change of pace from the Sword Coast, especially since the Emerald Enclave is effectively a region-spanning mafia in Turmish :v:

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 24, 2019

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Apart from published stuff, I haven't used an official setting for anything more off the cuff. The setting I run is my DM-turned-player's homebrew that they passed off to me when they got DM burnout.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Kaysette posted:

A character in my current AL game is named Lightning McHugeBeef and we have deep, deep lore established for him.

Same, but with Buff McLargeHuge. We did a Muppet Babies style one shot called Buff Babies, and our current campaign takes place in the past and has Buff’s father in the party. Buff’s dad is kind of a loser, but our characters are so good at bluffing, people believe we’re legends.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I played a bard named Wellby Honorway and nobody ever got the very simple pun.

I made him an NPC in a game I ran with a brother running the lawfirm of Wunmer & Wellby Honorway. Still nothing.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I played a bard named Wellby Honorway and nobody ever got the very simple pun.

I made him an NPC in a game I ran with a brother running the lawfirm of Wunmer & Wellby Honorway. Still nothing.

None of my players notice my good name puns either.

I let them name stuff when it pertains to their backstory or when they don't have a name for it, so my campaign has the Salty Spitoon/Krusty Krab, a dockfront bar, and Shithole Island, the penal colony they started the game on.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
My players really have zero idea of Faerun so they have no familiarity I can build upon. I’ve found it honestly easier to homebrew up my own setting. Easier to make up things in my own head-canon setting on the fly to me.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Nash posted:

My DM had us start in an alternate polytheistic west Europe with some caveats (no undead, warlocks, or a number of other things) before surprising us with Spelljammer (after which he opened it up to nearly anything) though he was delighted to have us attend a masquerade in Mystara of all places!

He's taking a break, so one of the other players is running us through the Out of the Abyss hardcover.

AL seems to be pretty consistently FG, too.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
I am reminded of the time when two of my players decided to run clerics, one of whom was named Raiden Holmes. The other, a centaur war cleric, was named Fist of Uck.

The player running Raiden--a LG cleric, BTW--just randomly decided during one game to say "I walk up to an old lady and punch her in the face." They were in Sigil at the time, so the old lady shape changed back into Pit Fiend form and beat Raiden senseless. Although I suppose technically that wasn't possible.

I was much younger back then and lacked the subtlety to get Fist of Uck knighted so that I could refer to him in play as Sir Uck.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I just run my game in a home setting that shamelessly rips off modern fantasy books, most precisely Scott Lynch and Bardugo's Grishaverse with a healthy dose of whatever bug poo poo I dreamed about the night before.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Generally a made-up-as-we-go collaboration with a big focus on vibe/theme in the pre game discussion.

Admittedly that theme has sometimes been "Planescape", but that means "city at the center of the universe, D&D planes, goth/spikes" not "blood war, lady of pain, modron march".

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Sticking my party in a town they're basically going to be Red Harvest-ing their way through unless they get bored of it. Gimme some of your favorite one-off or minor townspeople NPCs to throw at them!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

tzirean posted:

Sticking my party in a town they're basically going to be Red Harvest-ing their way through unless they get bored of it. Gimme some of your favorite one-off or minor townspeople NPCs to throw at them!

Honest John bSC sSC! Proprietor, chief trainer, founder, and still sole owner of Honest John's School Of Valiant Heroes And Friday to Sunday Discount Rug Market! You remind him of him of his favorite cousin! For you only, today only, everything is half price!

Tiffany the blacksmith. She's tough and slim/wiry and about 60 years old. You're the first person to ever tell her that joke, wow, it's so original and very funny, now whaddya want or get out.

A shadowy man in a shadowy corner of a shadowy bar, his face cloaked in shadow from his shadowy cloak. His mysterious secret of mystery is that under the cloak he is two kids trying to buy booze.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 25, 2019

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Does the attack roll bonus from Bless apply to attacks made using Spiritual Weapon?
In play, we always kinda assumed not, but I'm not 100% what the intent would be.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Bless applies to all your attack rolls, and Spiritual Weapon is a melee spell attack you're making on your turn.

There's no reason why it wouldn't.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

It's real common ime for people to misread Bless as only applying to swordfighting/bowshooting type stuff.

No idea why, since the wording's clear and it's not any different in previous versions.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Honest John bSC sSC! Proprietor, chief trainer, founder, and still sole owner of Honest John's School Of Valiant Heroes And Friday to Sunday Discount Rug Market! You remind him of him of his favorite cousin! For you only, today only, everything is half price!

Tiffany the blacksmith. She's tough and slim/wiry and about 60 years old. You're the first person to ever tell her that joke, wow, it's so original and very funny, now whaddya want or get out.

A shadowy man in a shadowy corner of a shadowy bar, his face cloaked in shadow from his shadowy cloak. His mysterious secret of mystery is that under the cloak he is two kids trying to buy booze.

yesssssssssssss

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

It's real common ime for people to misread Bless as only applying to swordfighting/bowshooting type stuff.

No idea why, since the wording's clear and it's not any different in previous versions.

It has been pretty clear to my groups that it should work with attack roll spells, like your cantrips or Scorching Ray or w/e
I think the hangup is more like, clearly you are making those attacks, but the Spiritual Weapon isn't... you. Know what I mean?

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
For settings, I'm using two across the couple of campaigns I run.

1) Eberron. The group is playing Dhakaani Goblin Commandos.

2) Homebrew, which is just a mishmash of the players most recently encountered fantasy story. For example, the dark elf continent has spider worshipers in the caverns (Underdark), riding scorpions in the surface jungles (Eberron), and pioneering magic on the ashy steppes of active volcanoes (Morrowind). It's colorful, but it works well. With homebrew settings, it's important for everything to remain familiar.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

P.d0t posted:

It has been pretty clear to my groups that it should work with attack roll spells, like your cantrips or Scorching Ray or w/e
I think the hangup is more like, clearly you are making those attacks, but the Spiritual Weapon isn't... you. Know what I mean?

I do know what you mean, because I've had this exact conversation a couple of times :)

Yeah, the weapon is not you. But it is a weapon. My read is that this thing isn't an independent autonomous entity like a summoned pixie or something that attacks people because you tell it to, it's a remote controlled magic sword that you can make (spell) attacks with.

In other words, contrast Spiritual Weapon with Animate Objects, Animate Dead, and Summon XYZ.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 25, 2019

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I'm actually finally investigating 5e in spite of just owning the starter I got on sale years ago. More as a backup game to run on Discord when there are schedule issues with the D6 Star Wars (Aka GOD'S OWN CHOSEN RPG) campaign we are badly attempting to get going. (I'm basically playing Red Foreman only as a Feeorin ala Nym from the Starfighter games.)

The thing I thought running about lead me to discover the 5e Middle Earth things.

It lead me to buy one book and pull the other 2 out of storage. (Guess which book I bought and now want at least 2 more of the line?)

With the Starter, the Basic Pdf edition, and my massive hoard of DnD stuff going back all the way to an incredibly mangled White Box can I pretty much easily run 5th Middle Earth? It seems easy enough to convert some stuff over for whatever the Loremaster and Rivendell guides don't have in it especially given how Middle Earth is like close to a Total Conversion to DnD 5.

It'll probably be a Discord thing provided I can find enough interested weekday folks even if I do have plenty of LotR minis not doing anything but being worth a few pretty pennies... (And their sourcebooks for a more Movie inspired post Return of the King game taking place near Rivendell where Agent Smith once dwelled...)

Am I screwed or mostly set? Like not doing that AL thing ought to save me both money and time though locally most people seem obsessed with it.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Captain Rufus posted:

I'm actually finally investigating 5e in spite of just owning the starter I got on sale years ago. More as a backup game to run on Discord when there are schedule issues with the D6 Star Wars (Aka GOD'S OWN CHOSEN RPG) campaign we are badly attempting to get going. (I'm basically playing Red Foreman only as a Feeorin ala Nym from the Starfighter games.)

The thing I thought running about lead me to discover the 5e Middle Earth things.

It lead me to buy one book and pull the other 2 out of storage. (Guess which book I bought and now want at least 2 more of the line?)

With the Starter, the Basic Pdf edition, and my massive hoard of DnD stuff going back all the way to an incredibly mangled White Box can I pretty much easily run 5th Middle Earth? It seems easy enough to convert some stuff over for whatever the Loremaster and Rivendell guides don't have in it especially given how Middle Earth is like close to a Total Conversion to DnD 5.

It'll probably be a Discord thing provided I can find enough interested weekday folks even if I do have plenty of LotR minis not doing anything but being worth a few pretty pennies... (And their sourcebooks for a more Movie inspired post Return of the King game taking place near Rivendell where Agent Smith once dwelled...)

Am I screwed or mostly set? Like not doing that AL thing ought to save me both money and time though locally most people seem obsessed with it.

I haven't run Adventures in Middle Earth as yet, but I think you should be fine. I don't think there's anything you need that isn't in the basic rules (since all the classes are replaced and there are no spells in AiME).

It sounds like you are getting the Loremaster's book too, you could probably manage without it but I definitely recommend it. It has some flavourful setting rules and the monster design is more interesting than core 5E.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Has anyone played this Avatar: The Last Airbender supplement?

It interests me because it seems to give you a poo poo load of versatility in how you use your Ki which sounds a lot of fun. I'm just curious how balanced it is.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/191837/Incarnate-The-Last-of-the-Lacers

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
Hello thread, I need more advice and ideas. I'm normally quite imaginative with this stuff, but having a bit of a mental block at the moment.

I'm a DM with a bunch of guys, mostly new to D&D. My first night happened last week, and I went with a run-and-done adventure in a single night. Everyone enjoyed it. And I seeded the dungeon with a couple of hooks for how it will link to the larger world but I thought I'd worry about the actual campaign storyline later. Now it is later and I'm stumped.

I'll give you the storyline so far. Little town in Forgotten realms, somewhere on the Long road north of Waterdeep. Players at an inn, blacksmith busts in yelling "They've taken my daughters". Goblins nearby staying in an old abandoned shrine. There used to be an order of knights live in the shrine taking offerings from the village and from travellers on the road. Knights all disappeared 6 months ago, could be a hook. Players killed the goblins, learned a bit of lore about the knights, only one girl was present, but asleep couldn't be woken. Took her back to the village, found an old healer lady who cast a spell woke her up and the first thing she said was "They took her. He took my sister".
And that's it. I left it on an ambiguous cliffhanger thinking I could make up some details about who "He" was, thinking it could have been an agent of Strahd if I wanted to do CoS, or some other hook into a pregen campaign. So have you guys got any broad-strokes ideas for an adventure or campaign that involves a taken girl that the players are on the chase for?
Ideas/themes: I love a bit of political intrigue and lots of interaction and bargaining, I don't want this to be a combat heavy adventure. Something in Waterdeep might work, should I look at the Waterdeep Heist pregen campaign? I also love the idea that the daughter they're chasing may have "turned bad" (possessed by a demon or mindcontrolled whatever) and the players might be in a conundrum if she's attacking them, or if she turns out to be the BigBad.
I don't really know what I'm asking, just throw stuff out there and see if I can get some inspiration, because I'm not feeling it right now. :(

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

What's the joke with Tiffany?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

tzirean posted:

Discount Bob who sells not so magical magic amulets.

Same guy, in a different hat, one booth over; Discount Rob who sells "gently used and recovered" adventuring gear.

Same guy, different hat, one booth over; Discount Tod who sells mystery potion box sets.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I finally got to do Benign Transposition shenanigans to shuffle our squishy guys out of a bind and felt like a drat hero.

Conjurer is so sick.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

What's the joke with Tiffany?

Nothing specific, but when your name/description and the job mismatch with expectations, customers tend to tell the same lovely jokes.

My baclground NPC format is (usually) name, short description and/or history, current mood and/or something they might say. Start with any of those and the others are sometimes just obvious to me. Eg,

Captain Timms looks like he used to moonlight as a siege weapon before he got old. He is two weeks from retirement and he is sick of your poo poo.

Mother Rosie is a plump lady with black hair strwaked with greys. She is followed by her cats. She would happily gossip all day but she has to get the washing in.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Forum Joe posted:

I don't really know what I'm asking, just throw stuff out there and see if I can get some inspiration, because I'm not feeling it right now. :(

Sister turns out to possess some minor powers due to sorcery, or possession by some warlock-y power or whatever. Said power is a match for the order of knight’s prophecied messianic figure.

Now the knights were your bog-standard lawful good knights of some higher cause. They heard of the sisters powers manifesting and investigated her as a potential witch or evil-possessed spirit or whatever.

When they arrived, they found the girl whose untrained power was unleashed when they tried to investigate her (like, when they’re casting detect magic, or detect good and evil) and she goes nova. The knights use sleep to incapacitate her, also catching her sister who was with her.

Back at their temple, they wake the empowered sister, determine that she, indeed, must be the prophecied figure of their order’s lore.

Now you’ve got a young girl, raised on stories of heroes and knights and smiting evil, lauded as the reincarned leader figure this order has watched and waited hundreds of years for, and oh boy is she going to have an adventure and smite some evil, just like in the stories.

Only the evil turns out to be the local sheriff who harassed her father because he stole something, or a debtor who threatened their family because dad owes a couple hundred gold he’s never made good on, or the tanner’s boy who threw mud on her new dress last year.

Also the order sent runners or birds or magical messages to the other chapters of their order who will soon be making the pilgrimage to their region to observe the new messiah. The old cathedral has been operated by a church devoted to [insert opposing deity] for a hundred years since their order whithered to a point where they could no longer support it, and after a time of troubles it was lost, but now they’re going to reclaim it by any means and are beginning to recruit a militia behind the story of this girl and her destiny.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Question:

Can you use a spell focus on a spell that doesn't require material components?

One of my players is an artificer (6th level) and is making the argument that Arcane Mastery shouldn't be able to trigger on Arcane Weapon since Arcane Weapon does not require material components, and thus you could not use an alchemy kit as a spell focus to cast it.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Verisimilidude posted:

Question:

IDK about the specific case since I haven't read the new Artificer, but in general, no.

An example of this is how a Warlock that's got a shield on one hand and spell focus on the other can't cast Eldritch Blast (which is V+S) unless they also have the War Caster feat.

Kung Food
Dec 11, 2006

PORN WIZARD

Verisimilidude posted:

Question:

RAW no... but stuff like unsheathing or sheathing a sword is a free action separate from an normal action, and I believe the focus is the same. So he could put the focus away to cast arcane weapon, and then next turn take it back out as a free action if he needs a focus required spell. So functionally the same thing...The whole interaction between spell components is kind of clunky, dumb and confusing which is why a lot of DMs will ignore it.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Getting into it with my players. For a spell that has requirements: VSM need all three components, or is it just one?

If that’s the case, does that mean you would essentially need both hands dedicated to casting a spell that has requirements: SM? One hand for somatic components, the other for holding material components/spell focus?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

VSM needs all components.

However, a hand holding the Material component counts as being able to execute the Somatic component with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Food
Dec 11, 2006

PORN WIZARD

Verisimilidude posted:

Getting into it with my players. For a spell that has requirements: VSM need all three components, or is it just one?

If that’s the case, does that mean you would essentially need both hands dedicated to casting a spell that has requirements: SM? One hand for somatic components, the other for holding material components/spell focus?
Firstly, you need all three. Second:

"Sage Advice posted:

If a spell has a somatic component, you can use the hand that performs the somatic component to also handle the material component. For example, a wizard who uses an orb as a spellcasting focus could hold a quarterstaff in one hand and the orb in the other, and he could cast lightning bolt by using the orb as the spell’s material component and the orb hand to perform the spell’s somatic component.
So if a spell has both a S and an M, you can do the S with the hand holding the focus.