Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Scionix posted:

it is very good, about 7-8 hrs battery life on windows, windows 10 actually uses high DPI correctly 90% of the time, and the laptop itself is built beautifully and the keyboard/trackpad are above average. Only downside is screen bezel if that's a big turnoff for you.

so I installed powertop and did some snooping, and the battery life goes from 7.5 hours estimated to 3 hours estimated when I have a video open in firefox lol. awkard

firefox doesn't have video acceleration

chromium on fedora and arch has it, and you can patch it in yourself if you're so inclined too (i've got it enabled on gentoo)

it's insanely important to have a vaapi enabled browser for battery life, and google are dicks for keeping it out from linux builds (it's enabled in chromeos)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

https://fedoramagazine.org/chromium-on-fedora-finally-gets-vaapi-support/

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Athas posted:

systemd is probably the process I care the least about on my Linux.

What is thread consensus on NixOS?

the installer ui hung in a vm so i lost interest

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Athas posted:

- super cool idea
- not wild about learning yet another DSL
- distro is pretty fringe
- weirdly it seems like Guix has more momentum right now

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Athas posted:

I tried to install NixOS on the POStop a few years so and I couldn't get it to work at all

so it's probably okay

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Athas posted:

puppet, but the entire os

a solution in search of a problem

a fun toy for niche os collectors

freebsd, but more

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Hi guys is linux on desktop still bad, also is this year going to be the year we all use it

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
linux is still bad, but with every new version, both windows and macos get closer and closer to being equally bad, so it can’t be long until linux is a reasonable option

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

PCjr sidecar posted:

Undersells it, imo

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

PCjr sidecar posted:

a solution in search of a problem

pretty much. Server environments are all about cattle not pets, so there's not much value in tech for maintaining long-lived servers (even bare metal ones). Just nuke and reinstall Linux everytime. :pt:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

systemdeez

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
nixos moves us forward in thinking about the entire os tree as something we should version as a unit instead of a bunch of packages

but still has the bad idea of shipping applications and unrelated system components as part of the os tree for seemingly no reason

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Kamrat posted:

A distro I can fit on a business card CD-R, count me in.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

fedora are doing the os-tree + flatpak thing now as well.
https://silverblue.fedoraproject.org/

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

Amethyst posted:

is anyone using a dell xps 13 with fedora? how is it? do random keys not work? does the fan spin at max constantly? Its really hard to find an honest answer about this stuff, often you'll read a post that says "it's rock solid, absolutely flawless, I couldn't be happier" but then further down the thread the user will reveal that the wifi itermittently disable itself and a bunch of keyboard buttons don't work

XPS 13 and Fedora is good.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
which VMS do I want to run on a VAXstation 4000 VLC?

it was first supported in 5.5 but I’m being told to run 7.3, are there any other decent options

excited for DECwindows on VMS

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

there's a lot of different xps 13s

might sound weird, but im guessing updating your bios might fix your issue, if not you should google "xps 13 acpi_osi"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

which VMS do I want to run on a VAXstation 4000 VLC?

it was first supported in 5.5 but I’m being told to run 7.3, are there any other decent options

excited for DECwindows on VMS

7.3 is the newest/last version that will work

that's all there is to it, really

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

someone decompiled diablo and put it on github

https://github.com/diasurgical/devilutionX

why do people do this and think it is ok

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Tankakern posted:

obviously it is ok, just not quite legal

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Tankakern posted:

thanks i like to clone this stuff asap so that i can check it out later for learning

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
diablo came out in 1996 and in a sane copyright regime would already be public domain

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
free as in peer-to-peer

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Tankakern posted:

because you can't put the genie back in the bottle. once it's out there on the internet, it's there forever, no matter how many c&d letters go out

plus, it's not like they are distributing the assets or anything like that, you still need a copy of the game to play it

i wish someone would do something like this for dark forces 1 and 2

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

The_Franz posted:

because you can't put the genie back in the bottle. once it's out there on the internet, it's there forever, no matter how many c&d letters go out

plus, it's not like they are distributing the assets or anything like that, you still need a copy of the game to play it

DARK works fine in dosbox tho

i think diablo is a bit too new for that?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

isn't dark forces 1 just... doom?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tankakern posted:

is it actually de-compiled?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

isn't dark forces 1 just... doom?

Nah it used a different engine that could do some tricks the Doom engine couldn't do.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

TOOT BOOT posted:

Nah it used a different engine that could do some tricks the Doom engine couldn't do.

welp, news to me. not that i really care. the original dark forces was kind of a lame first person shooter with no good star wars connection

dark forces II was actually almost good, despite being a first person shooter. it made actual use of the star wars ip

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

welp, news to me. not that i really care. the original dark forces was kind of a lame first person shooter with no good star wars connection

dark forces II was actually almost good, despite being a first person shooter. it made actual use of the star wars ip

quote:

In Doom, environments or levels were limited to existing in the X-Y plane only – levels were laid out two-dimensionally: while floor and ceiling heights could differ, areas could not overlap vertically. The Jedi Engine had support for areas or rooms (called "sectors") on top of one another, a trait that it shared with the Build engine.

anyhow the star wars connection was that you could shoot storm troopers with a blaster while the imperial theme played, what more could you want from a doom era shooter? it was great as a 9 year old child anyhow.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

anyhow the star wars connection was that you could shoot storm troopers with a blaster while the imperial theme played, what more could you want from a doom era shooter? it was great as a 9 year old child anyhow.

well, try dark forces II

it still involved shooting storm troopers with a blaster but it had an actual plot and like force powers and decisions and poo poo

not a great game by today's standards but pretty freakin cool back in 1997 or whatever

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
to tie this terrible derail back to the thread topic:

dark forces ii came out the same year as my first linux desktop
:911:

(i'm feeling old now)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

jedi knight ii (aka “dark forces 3”) used the quake 3 engine

so did Star Trek: Elite Force

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

well, try dark forces II

it still involved shooting storm troopers with a blaster but it had an actual plot and like force powers and decisions and poo poo

not a great game by today's standards but pretty freakin cool back in 1997 or whatever

it mean yeah dark forces ii was a much better game but dark forces was fun for what it ws imo.

dark forces ii was the first game where i got excited about 3d acceleration i think

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i want a dark souls style sith game

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

sith clones

ya gotta work the resurrection mechanic in there.

the force is how the clones share memories, but you have to return to the death site for bullshit force reasons to really remember everything

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

is it actually de-compiled?

ayup

quote:

After looking at the code some of it is a disaster

That is the result of decompiled code. Whenever a program is compiled, much of the source is optimized and stripped away, so it's nearly impossible to decompile it back. Have patience. Everything will be cleaned up eventually. :)

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

it was one of the first fps games to have objectives and levels with puzzle elements

it was also the first demo i ever played from a magazine demo cd

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

The_Franz posted:

it was one of the first fps games to have objectives and levels with puzzle elements

it was also the first demo i ever played from a magazine demo cd

gently caress the 3D puzzle where you had to position the elevators right so you could climb over their roofs. it was a really clever use of the tech but the 2.5d engine made it way too hard to work out that was what you were supposed to do imo

or maybe I was just really dumb as a kid, not gonna rule that option out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

so many games i've come back to as an adult only to discover that child me was a huge moron