Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

The Parks and Rec animal control guys were hilarious.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9pXbX7gDPGk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

BioEnchanted posted:

From what I saw of the character, mostly from compilation clips, he is partially falling into toxic masculinity but doesn't go all the way, for example there are lots of people he genuinely cares about like April and Andy, April because she has an attitude he respects and Andy because he's like a big stupid son to him. Also he doesn't hide his emotions well, he tries, but we all know his adorable giggle when the tiny horse shows up or when playing football with Andy after enjoying a Meat Tornado (a mexican food truck item he is initially sceptical abut but ends up loving the name so much he's like "OK, you got me."). Basically he tries for Toxic Manhood, but actually kind of fails at sticking the landing.

He also tolerates dissent and doesn't push his world view on anyone. Plus he encourages academic learning and thinks women are equal to men. He's this weirdly contradictory character that works because he can be whatever the writers need him to be at that moment.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Mooseontheloose posted:

he can be whatever the writers need him to be at that moment.
Basically. If he were real he would be one of the least tolerable people on the planet.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Wait what? Ron shows signs of fragile masculinity, not toxic masculinity.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Wait what? Ron shows signs of fragile masculinity, not toxic masculinity.

lol if you think the two are different

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Torquemada posted:

She’s not bad in that Dogme 95 thing where she jerks off in her bathroom either.

What's this now?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Queen Combat posted:

lol if you think the two are different

Fragile masculinity is being afraid of not being seen as masculine. IE driving a huge truck that you don’t use for it’s intended purpose. Toxic masculinity is being a chauvinistic abusive rear end in a top hat under the guise of “boys will be boys.”

All men who exhibit toxic masculinity have fragile masculinity but a guy can be insecure about the perception of his masculinity without also being a dick to others.

Is Ron ever abusive toward women? (Tbh I don’t know because I’ve only seen each episode once and it’s been a while.)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Is Ron ever abusive toward women? (Tbh I don’t know because I’ve only seen each episode once and it’s been a while.)
No, it's a big part of his character. He's a lot of things but he's not a misogynist. In fact, he's Woman of the Year.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What's this now?

She would have been 10-18 in the Dogme95 era. I don’t get it either. All those Dogme movies are boring as hell.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mooseontheloose posted:

He also tolerates dissent and doesn't push his world view on anyone. Plus he encourages academic learning and thinks women are equal to men. He's this weirdly contradictory character that works because he can be whatever the writers need him to be at that moment.

I largely credit this to Nick Offerman being an extremely likable man.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

The least funny would definitely be April and Ann. April because Aubrey Plaza can't act or come across as anything other than lolrandom, and Ann because she never was given any defining character traits or reason to be in the show beyond season 2 or 3.

The whole Ann character was odd. Everyone, Leslie in particular, kept on about how wonderful, amazing, incredible Ann is despite her lack of any distinct characteristics. "beautiful" was another oft-used word and while Rashida Jones is certainly good looking, I started to wonder if it was just to keep someone happy behind the scenes.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Crimpolioni posted:

Also in Ingrid goes West

Aubrey Plaza had the best episode of Harmonquest too because she just bowls through it like crazy and doesn’t give a poo poo while the DM frantically tries to keep up

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

nonathlon posted:

The whole Ann character was odd. Everyone, Leslie in particular, kept on about how wonderful, amazing, incredible Ann is despite her lack of any distinct characteristics. "beautiful" was another oft-used word and while Rashida Jones is certainly good looking, I started to wonder if it was just to keep someone happy behind the scenes.
They knew they had someone great in Rashida Jones but could never figure out what to do with Ann. This is a character whose defining trait was "she loses her identity to the men she's dating." It's a shame because Jones is fantastic in P&R, even with as little as she has to do, and I'm glad that Angie Tribeca has found some success.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I honestly forget the character of Ann altogether when thinking about the show. Her primary function seems to be the straight man but then Ben shows up and takes the same role.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

nonathlon posted:

The problem with her character is she’s supposed to be the normal one out of a group of weirdos but they never really play up the contrast so she just ends up not really having much of a character. Hence the need for other characters to literally describe the characteristics she’s supposed to have. I loved parks and rec and aside from her scenes with Leslie and Andy I can’t really remember a lot of Ann scenes

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Aesop Poprock posted:

The problem with her character is she’s supposed to be the normal one out of a group of weirdos but they never really play up the contrast so she just ends up not really having much of a character. Hence the need for other characters to literally describe the characteristics she’s supposed to have.

The Good Place is full of this. Just characters talking about how great each other is. How hot they are. How their friendship is special and meaningful.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Ann is a side-character after Ben filled the straight(ish) role, and they failed to develop her in other ways to create subplots, so it's mainly her spinning the wheels.
Jones did good with material she got tho.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Ann is Leslies best friend who she cares about a lot. The only really useless character was the guy who left at the end of the second season. They set him up to be like Jim from the office but then realized Jim sucked so they wrote him out.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gaunab posted:

Ann is Leslies best friend who she cares about a lot. The only really useless character was the guy who left at the end of the second season. They set him up to be like Jim from the office but then realized Jim sucked so they wrote him out.

You mean Mark Brendanaquits.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Harris Wittles was a goddamn treasure

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What's this now?

I was trying to be funny. She got caught out with that Fappening thing a few years back.

e: My first red text and av change! A moment to treasure :dance:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUcjn1CuRZI

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

dramatically more competent than reality, it's true

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

What's up? I'm Harris, I'm 33 years young, I have my cousin Jason's truck for two more weeks. I have one testicle (whack-a-mole accident) and I'm down to clown.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

pentyne posted:

You mean Mark Brendanaquits.

I read somewhere that he asked to be written out because he didn’t think his character added anything to the show. Insightful if true

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
jim sucks so bad. so bad, you guys

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I will dance on the grave of the terrible Jim.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Fumaofthelake posted:

I read somewhere that he asked to be written out because he didn’t think his character added anything to the show. Insightful if true

Was it this?

https://screencrush.com/paul-schneider-interview/

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Is Ron ever abusive toward women?

Women is actually abusive towards Ron. His relationship with Lawless's character is basically the only healthy relationship he has ever had.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fumaofthelake posted:

That's what he's said in interviews, I think he's a bright guy but sounds hard to work with.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

jim sucks so bad. so bad, you guys
I have never enjoyed the Office. I just don't get the appeal at all.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Fumaofthelake posted:

I also read that the showrunners wanted to bring him back at some point, but they never ended up doing it, which seems like a testament to the fact that they didn't really know what to do with the character.

He's also apparently the only guy Ann dated whose personality didn't totally override hers, since he's not mentioned at all in that episode. Or maybe they just purposely left him out since they had no real handle on his character.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FactsAreUseless posted:

I mean, I get it, but embarrassment humor doesn't work for me.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

The Bloop posted:

I mean, I get it, but embarrassment humor doesn't work for me.

Different strokes for different folks. :shrug:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Alhazred posted:

Women is actually abusive towards Ron. His relationship with Lawless's character is basically the only healthy relationship he has ever had.

To clarify, I meant, did Ron ever insinuate that women are inferior than men at ______, or make typical toxic masculinity comments, not full on mental abuse.

In conclusion, it does seem really silly to associate Ron with toxic masculinity.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

You've probably seen more by now, but just in case: skip the first season entirely before judging it. Also, episodes have more weight when viewed in sequence than popping in randomly, where you don't get the full context of everything going on.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

To clarify, I meant, did Ron ever insinuate that women are inferior than men at ______, or make typical toxic masculinity comments, not full on mental abuse.

In conclusion, it does seem really silly to associate Ron with toxic masculinity.

They're probably referring to things like the Ron Swanson Pyramid of Greatness:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

You've probably seen more by now, but just in case: skip the first season entirely before judging it. Also, episodes have more weight when viewed in sequence than popping in randomly, where you don't get the full context of everything going on.

I think Season 2 through Jim's & Pam's Wedding is a good stretch to start and stop watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Bogus Adventure posted:

I think Season 2 through Jim's & Pam's Wedding is a good stretch to start and stop watching.

You miss out on a couple greats though, like Scott's Tots. I think for most people, "Goodbye, Michael" is a good stopping point. But I also think that there are enough good moments in the remaining seasons that if you've gone that far, you might as well plow through them. Things do get pretty dire at times, but the final two episodes are actually very good.