Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah, both the magic trackpad 2 and magic keyboard 2 work as plain 'ol USB devices when connected/charging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

The magic trackpad can be used corded as well, since you don't seem to mind a cord

Edit: magic trackpad 2, rather

Yeah, mine is a 1.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

IUG posted:

Yeah, mine is a 1.

:( It's worth an upgrade

eames
May 9, 2009

Is it possible to install samba on macos mojave?
The built in smb filesharing server is giving me serious headaches. ACL inheritance problems, windows incompatibility, aborted transfers, the list goes on. I was able to find postings for all of these issues in the "Apple Servers and Enterprise Software Support Communities" (haha!) but this part of macOS is clearly on life support.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
You can do it through homebrew, I think.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Nah it used to be part of homebrew but I get a ' formula not found' error now..

vkeios
May 7, 2007

You got me curious so I googled around for a sec, it looks like Homebrew dropped Samba like 2 years ago.
But it looks like Macports has samba 3&4, which I didn't even know MacPorts still existed so that's a surprise.

eames
May 9, 2009

I also expected it to be available on homebrew but alas... I'll try macports when I have the time. Let it be known that buying a Mac Mini even just for light server tasks is a very, very dumb idea in 2019.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I've got a new Mac mini running a Promise array, serving SMB over the 10 gig port, hosting Plex, running my Arq backups, doing the occasional ffmpeg work, serving some web sites via Apache, and running my Ubiquiti controller and it's pretty great :shrug:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Seems kind of a waste, the mac mini is really expensive for pretty lackluster hardware.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Lambert posted:

Seems kind of a waste, the mac mini is really expensive for pretty lackluster hardware.

You could say the same about almost all Mac hardware if you’re just comparing specs. You’re paying a premium for macOS so you don’t have dick with Windows.

Unless you’re trying to run a mixed environment with Macs as servers, of course. In that case, welcome to hell.

Pyrocat
Oct 31, 2006
not a furry
I've spent the better part of this last week at work trying to get my Sculpt Ergonomic Microsoft Keyboard to work properly with the right command/alt/option keys on my mac

a) at all
b) while remote desktopped into a windows machine
c) and to activate the right Alfred toggle hotkeys, regardless of if I'm remote desktopped
d) and not to gently caress up all of my poo poo when I unplug from the dock and use the actual mac laptop keyboard.

I've gone down a rabbit hole of figuring out how to swap command keys depending on keyboard inputs (helpful), learning Alfred workflows (sorta works), trying to remap Windows inputs with Sharp Keys (didn't work), and finally learning that Karabiner exists and can detect programs like remote desktop (almost entirely works).

My two remaining problems are that I can no longer cmd+click to right click, and I cannot for the life of me get Alfred Clipboard History Viewer to open when I'm remote desktopped. Do I dare spend another day trying while nothing else gets done at work? Probably not.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Anton Chigurh posted:

You could say the same about almost all Mac hardware if you’re just comparing specs. You’re paying a premium for macOS so you don’t have dick with Windows.

Unless you’re trying to run a mixed environment with Macs as servers, of course. In that case, welcome to hell.

Yeah, but the tasks described are more suited to a Linux server. Mac OS isn't really great as a server OS (desktop is at least debatable).

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Lambert posted:

Yeah, but the tasks described are more suited to a Linux server. Mac OS isn't really great as a server OS (desktop is at least debatable).

Agreed. The only thing I'd personally use a Mac mini for is as a media server, but there are certainly less expensive options for that –– assuming you want to dick with Windows or some proprietary solution.

I am glad that Apple updated the mini and gave it some real balls back by allowing a six Core i7 configuration, but it's too expensive and they made it hard to open up and modify the RAM or storage. Typical Apple.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Pyrocat posted:

My two remaining problems are that I can no longer cmd+click to right click, and I cannot for the life of me get Alfred Clipboard History Viewer to open when I'm remote desktopped. Do I dare spend another day trying while nothing else gets done at work? Probably not.
It's been a long rear end time since I've had a one button mouse, but back in the day it was control-click to get the right button menu, not command.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Welp, since the new Airpods require them, macOS 10.14.4 and iOS 12.2 oughta be along shortly.. maybe before Monday.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Welp, since the new Airpods require them, macOS 10.14.4 and iOS 12.2 oughta be along shortly.. maybe before Monday.

Why? The AirPods aren't going to be released until next week?

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

What's the proper way to de-live a photo if I use iOS and the MacOS Photos.app?

Today I was sorting through an import from my iPhone camera roll in Photos.app, deleting unwanted photos and disabling live photos where it doesn't add anything (in photos.app: edit > untick live > done), but I noticed that once I sync the photo back to my iPhone, it's still a live photo, and I can't "de-live" it in the iPhone now either because it's "owned" by photos.app? :sigh:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Life's way too short to be worrying about poo poo like that

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Last Chance posted:

Life's way too short to be worrying about poo poo like that
Someone post the accidental live photo a woman posted of her engagement ring where her fiance runs up and waves his dick in the background.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Gunder posted:

Yeah, DDG is great. Their search is not quite as good as Google, but they do make up for it in privacy benefits.

I keep trying to replace google with ddg but whenever I set it as my default search engine I always end up having to append a “!g” to my search to find any relevant results. After a while I just set it back to google, until the next time I read some privacy blog post and switch it back repeating the process.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

I keep trying to replace google with ddg but whenever I set it as my default search engine I always end up having to append a “!g” to my search to find any relevant results. After a while I just set it back to google, until the next time I read some privacy blog post and switch it back repeating the process.
There’s also Startpage, which apparently uses Google’s engine but acts as a middleman to prevent them getting any extra information. How they make money from that setup I have no idea.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Boris Galerkin posted:

Having to use !g now and then is offset by the ability to use !imdb, !amazon, !ebay, !wowhead, etc, at least for me.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Not to get into :filez: talk, but would anybody happen to know where to source an installer for macOS El Capitan?
A friend has an older, unsupported MBA and wants to use some DIY guide for hacking support into ElCap.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Hello Spaceman posted:

Not to get into :filez: talk, but would anybody happen to know where to source an installer for macOS El Capitan?
A friend has an older, unsupported MBA and wants to use some DIY guide for hacking support into ElCap.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/os-x-el-capitan/id1147835434?ls=1&mt=12 ?

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Haha, if it were that easy I wouldn't have posted.
The App Store will only let you download installers for supported versions of macOS. I won't be able to get it for him because I'm on a newer version of macOS; he won't be able to download it because his hardware is locked out.

Thanks, though. I'll keep scouring to find a download link to a hopefully uncompromised installer.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Hello Spaceman posted:

Apple says, "Haha" right back. Why should they allow anyone to be able to easily use the version of their OS that they want? Computers aren't something to modify or tweak, to one's liking. Only a company with courage can say that. :smuggo:

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Luceo posted:

Having to use !g now and then is offset by the ability to use !imdb, !amazon, !ebay, !wowhead, etc, at least for me.
I've been using smart keywords in Firefox for I think 10 years now? Check it out:
useful info.
I use w for wikipedia, d for wiktionary and i for IMDB.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Djimi posted:

I've been using smart keywords in Firefox for I think 10 years now? Check it out:
useful info.

Same, but in Google Chrome. It's a pretty handy feature!

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Djimi posted:

useful info.

:stare: How did I never know about this? :stare:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Luceo posted:

:stare: How did I never know about this? :stare:

You can do this with Alfred too.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Hello Spaceman posted:

The App Store will only let you download installers for supported versions of macOS. I won't be able to get it for him because I'm on a newer version of macOS; he won't be able to download it because his hardware is locked out.

Thanks, though. I'll keep scouring to find a download link to a hopefully uncompromised installer.
If either of you have VMware or Parallels you can probably make a Mac VM and then sign in on the App Store and use the link there to download the installer since the VM can technically run anything from 10.7 onwards. That’s what I do at work when I want to download an older installer to make a boot stick to wipe an older Mac.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

If you've already downloaded/"purchased" an old macOS installer from the mac app store, I think you can still re-download it by going to your purchases list when looking at your account.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Is there a thread for the "Apple Special Event" going on right now? I can't find one.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You're posting in it!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

American McGay posted:

You're posting in it!

Oh, it's just that there's not much to talk about.

Yay magazines?

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Apple credit card time. Hopefully I can earn points to get myself a Mac.

eames
May 9, 2009

badjohny posted:

Apple credit card time. Hopefully I can earn points to get myself a Mac.

Buy a house with your AppleCard and get a free iMac*

* (with a 1TB 5400 rpm HDD!)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Thank you for designing the ultimate titanium credit card Jony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1110229635709706240