Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

For what it's worth, Marcy Wheeler - as far as I know, a trustworthy, non "resistance grifter" source - seems to think that something smells: https://www.emptywheel.net/2019/03/24/how-william-barr-did-old-man-back-flips-to-avoid-arresting-donald-trump/

Don't know if this is a dumb question or not, but do people like Schiff and Nadler have access to a more complete version of the report? If so, publicly saying "we want the whole story" could be an indication that Barr is doing what he was appointed to do: protect the manbaby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

At least, Biden has charisma sorta at least.

Biden's 1988 and 2008 campaigns were disasters. The guy is an awful candidate and a gaffe-machine and his only chance is somehow managing to rise above a crowded, imploding Democratic field. Coincidentally, a Biden nomination is probably the one and only shot that Trump has at reelection. He's just terrible and almost guaranteed to blow up in one form or another during a national campaign.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

For what it's worth, Marcy Wheeler - as far as I know, a trustworthy, non "resistance grifter" source - seems to think that something smells: https://www.emptywheel.net/2019/03/24/how-william-barr-did-old-man-back-flips-to-avoid-arresting-donald-trump/

Don't know if this is a dumb question or not, but do people like Schiff and Nadler have access to a more complete version of the report? If so, publicly saying "we want the whole story" could be an indication that Barr is doing what he was appointed to do: protect the manbaby.

She's been hero worshiping Mueller for 2 years. I'm pretty much done with her.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

as far as anyone knows, the only people with the full report are top Mueller dudes, Rod Rosenstein, Bill Barr, and whoever they slid it to under the table (and maybe some staff of the above)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Access to the the more credible side of the DC rumor mill aside (which most moc are going to be meaningfully linked into), yes if the report was actually meaningfully exonerating in any way it would be released in full. They wouldn't be releasing a carefully worded book report about how it is exonerating (but no you can't see the book) if that wasn't the case

I'm curious if the actual play is going to be to try to keep the report private and only release their weird assurances from Barr. You'd think that more likely they're stalling while they can figure out a spin/messaging strategy, but good loving luck if they actually try to keep it in house.

There's also the likely chance that keeping it suppressed for this long is going to backfire as it looks guilty af. Obviously backfiring is relative compared to 'president did crimes,' but it's been conspicuous since the first moments that literally zero credible journalists are taking a shot on 'report exonerates trump' in any meaningful way whatsoever.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 25, 2019

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Koalas March posted:

Also mentally ill people are more likely to be victims of violence than to commit violence.

uh this doesn’t fit with my narrative of “guns don’t kill people only crazy people* or terrorists** do” please respect my lovely beliefs that have resulted in over 3,000 deaths this year alone (excluding suicides)

*applies to white people only

**brown people

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Paradoxish posted:

Biden's 1988 and 2008 campaigns were disasters. The guy is an awful candidate and a gaffe-machine and his only chance is somehow managing to rise above a crowded, imploding Democratic field. Coincidentally, a Biden nomination is probably the one and only shot that Trump has at reelection. He's just terrible and almost guaranteed to blow up in one form or another during a national campaign.

Ya but he poo poo allll over Paul Ryan that one time and we should never forget that brief moment when things were Going to Be Alright.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Paradoxish posted:

well i don't think he will win the nom. he will do well very early but he will burn out fast because of the "hur bipartisan" and no real policy.

maybe, they probably have a clear picture of what the full report is but i doubt the fully know, that being said they will learn soon.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Someone start a super pac that pays Biden to just follow Ryan around for the rest of time making GBS threads on him every time he opens his mouth and all will be right in the world

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Herstory Begins Now posted:

If mental health disorders were easy to look up (much less actually centrally recorded anywhere) it would be 1000x easier to keep guns out of the hands of the diagnosed mentally ill.

imagine doing this about any other thing that could make someone a minority in society.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Grondoth posted:

To be fair, the idea that Trump would flip the rust belt states he did seemed totally outlandish. WI and MI going dem was just assumed. By like... the entire political class. We didn't learn yet how dogshit of a campaign Hillary was running.

But you should really be careful about pushing yourself into the mindset that Trump is unstoppable and he's going to win forever. Unless you're super in to Trump, you're going to hate everything if this is your mental framework.

IMO neither Trump nor Trumpism is unstoppable per se- however at this exact moment in time the kinds of activities that could still stop him are effectively impossible. What America needs to stop Trumpism is a combination of mass peaceful resistance/non-compliance from the general public in conjunction with political leadership willing to whip public sentiment in favor of said mass peaceful resistance. And America simply does not have either a population willing to resist NOR the kind of political leadership or would take.

What we Americans do have (both in political leadership and the general population) is a small handful of individuals who understand the threat (and recognize what needs to happen)- but these individuals do not control many resources in our society and as such their efforts will be inevitably thwarted by the masses of the complacent that make up the majority of everyone in America.

An America where good was likely to prevail in this situation is one where a priveleged rear end like Evillweasel is chaining himself to the doors of a federal building as Nancy Pelosi gives a speech encouraging others to do the same. But that isn't the America we live in.

What is actually going to happen is the exact same thing that happened with the Mueller report- it will be held up as a symbol of the inevitable victory of "the system" over Trumpism until the moment it falls flat- then comfortable leftists will declare that 1.) it was obviously going to go nowhere and 2.) ot never mattered anyways because of ***insert next symbol of the inevitable victory of the system***. This pattern will repeat over and over until some outside force a us to stop it.

I started psychologically preparing myself to live through the onset of full-blown fascism about a year ago. Trust me it really sucks looking this particular abyss in the face but my personal philosophy has always been "You cannot beat the Kobayashi Maru- but you might just be able to decide exactly how you lose".

It may not sound like much at first but deciding how you lose the no-win scenario has historically been the only true choice afforded the non-rich and powerful.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 25, 2019

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Also just lol if anyone actually buys the idea that a report that literally no one but a trump toady claims is exonerating is actually exonerating but they won't let you read it.

Most likely, they're going to focus hard on selling the 'it exonerates from x and y claim' and then when it releases it will be evidence of z,a,b,c claims.

sexpig by night posted:

imagine doing this about any other thing that could make someone a minority in society.

idk why anyone thinks i'm suggesting that, I was pointing out that it doesn't exist. There's probably a need for something like that as long as we're going to be preserving the ~precious right~ of unstable white guys to buy ar 15s with 100 rnd drum mags, but imo we'd be better served just banning guns

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 25, 2019

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Also just lol if anyone actually buys the idea that a report that literally no one but a trump toady claims is exonerating is actually exonerating but they won't let you read it.

Most likely, they're going to focus hard on selling the 'it exonerates from x and y claim' and then when it releases it will be evidence of z,a,b,c claims.
How many Mueller candles do you own, you Russiagate shill?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Tibalt posted:

tbh I'm just amused that anyone is naive enought o buy into the 'well it exonerates him and no we won't let you see it, here have these carefully selected paraphrases and sentence fragments instead.'

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

There's also the likely chance that keeping it suppressed for this long is going to backfire as it looks guilty af.
I made the mistake of switching on the afternoon news and it was nothing but "No collusion! Totally exonerated! MAGA!" And a dumb headline about the report totally clearing everything no collusion ever.

So the media's already doing their best to fix the narrative. We get the report in a week, month, whatever and everyone will already say "oh that one said he did nothing wrong! :downsgun:"

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mcmagic posted:

She's been hero worshiping Mueller for 2 years. I'm pretty much done with her.

lol that lady was writing pieces critical of mueller back when most of us were kids, i think she's been extremely clear that intelligence agencies are not our friends

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
whoa weird slam on evilweasel out of nowhere.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

If mental health disorders were easy to look up (much less actually centrally recorded anywhere) it would be 1000x easier to keep guns out of the hands of the diagnosed mentally ill.

Shockingly, there is literally zero central database of people diagnosed with any mental health conditions. As a ~gun rights~ thing, putting that question down on gun purchase forms was a way for gun lobbyists to toothlessly appease liberal demands because no actual way of checking if the mentally ill are/aren't buying guns exists.

So something that can be used against you is social media posts. I've had to deal with trying to find a job with a history of mental illness and the long stretches of joblessness to go with it and it's a nightmare. I tell people I know to think carefully about posting that kind of stuff on Facebook because it can come back and haunt them.

Except I feel really lovely when I do that because it can be a support method, and I'm telling people to hide. I'm right about a terrible thing I shouldn't have to be right about. It sucks and I have no good answer except gently caress companies for looking at peoples social media I guess.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I’m pretty sure the intent of that letter was to make everyone see what they wanted to see. There’s a sentence for everyone to pull and argue about.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

skylined! posted:

whoa weird slam on evilweasel out of nowhere.

i haven't even seen evilweasel post recently lol. PJ having a normal one as usual

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Paradoxish posted:

Trump just won 2020 anyway; let Biden get it out of his system.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Tibalt posted:

I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not.

its sarcastic.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

tbh I'm just amused that anyone is naive enought o buy into the 'well it exonerates him and no we won't let you see it, here have these carefully selected paraphrases and sentence fragments instead.'

The problem is by the time we get the actually get the report, all the Maga cheering will have already taken hold and no one will give a poo poo or even pay attention to it unless it has some Truly Wild poo poo in it. Odds are the report is just filled with poo poo that we already knew and hasn't made a difference.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1109971251056033792

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm curious if the actual play is going to be to try to keep the report private and only release their weird assurances from Barr. You'd think that more likely they're stalling while they can figure out a spin/messaging strategy, but good loving luck if they actually try to keep it in house.

There's also the likely chance that keeping it suppressed for this long is going to backfire as it looks guilty af. Obviously backfiring is relative compared to 'president did crimes,' but it's been conspicuous since the first moments that literally zero credible journalists are taking a shot on 'report exonerates trump' in any meaningful way whatsoever.

One thing that struck me was CNN's reporting that according to Barr, the ball was placed firmly in Congress' court in terms of investigating obstruction charges. I think one of the lawyers Vox asked about the letter echoed this.

I can't help but wonder - and maybe this is a bit too conspiratorial? - if Barr is deliberately leaving tidbits that a Democratic House would want to investigate so that Republicans can turn around and say "Ah! See? The 'Democrat' party just can't let this go!".

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lol, they're mad because their favorite distraction no longer has any purchase. Even the most dimwitted #resistance dunce knows it is over by now.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Starr Report was a loving bound tome, the council wrote it like it was a bad mystery/romance novel and everyone sunk their teeth into that poo poo.

This gets a reader's digest version based on some publisher's back jacket jerkoff text.

:haw:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

well, we all expected as much.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Kobayashi posted:

Lol, they're mad because their favorite distraction no longer has any purchase. Even the most dimwitted #resistance dunce knows it is over by now.

Name me Dems who ran in the midterms with the Russian investigation as their platform. Because in the real world the Dems won 40 seats because they campaigned on healthcare healthcare and healthcare.

Where are these Dems currently in office who’ve have spent the last 2 years focusing on nothing but Russia?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Kobayashi posted:

Wait do some goons actually believe NO COLLUSION despite the mountains of evidence to the contrary or do they just want this to go away because they don't want to see rich people punished for their actions

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

We are engaged not in a contest of facts but a contest of Narratives. And the left has just completely (and irreversibly) lost control of the Russiagate Narrative. From here on out (no matter what the report actually says) the right wing will scream "TRUMP HAS BEEN COMPLETELY EXONERATED" at the top of their lungs while the corporate media does their usual "both sides" schtick. The net result will be panel after panel of leftists meekly trying to discuss the nuance of the report while their roght-wing counterpart simply repeats "NO COLLUSION" over and over.

Its laughably naive at this point to think that the specifics of the Mueller report still matter: they do not and they never did. All that ever really mattered was how the Mueller report would impact right-wing Narratives.

The left has lost that battle decisively- and the corporate media's heavy focus on Russiagate has only further strengthened the "fake news" narrative. This is a very bad day all around and there is no point in sugarcoating that brutal reality.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Koalas March posted:

Wait do some goons actually believe NO COLLUSION despite the mountains of evidence to the contrary or do they just want this to go away because they don't want to see rich people punished for their actions

They find common ground by sticking it to the libs.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well i don't think he will win the nom. he will do well very early but he will burn out fast because of the "hur bipartisan" and no real policy.

I mean, it's not even really that. Dude is just really bad at running for president and he's not at all well suited to having the spotlight on him for prolonged periods of time. He was a good VP candidate because you could just pull him out whenever he was needed, but he's really not a very charismatic guy and he's extremely vulnerable to all the same arguments that were pulled out against Clinton. People aren't being hyperbolic when they say that Biden's entire image has been crafted by the Onion and by media that inexplicably confused Onion Biden and Real Biden.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Koalas March posted:

They’re laughing about Trump getting away with his crimes to Own The Libs. Seriously.

Chappo Trap House is currently celebrating on twitter calling today a good day for America.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

The report so damning that the guy who spent over a year putting it together basically said "Yeah, I guess there could be some obstruction in here, idk. Do whatever with it."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They’re laughing about Trump getting away with his crimes to Own The Libs. Seriously.

Chappo Trap House is currently celebrating on twitter calling today a good day for America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AEMiz6rcxc

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Prester Jane posted:

We are engaged not in a contest of facts but a contest of Narratives. And the left has just completely (and irreversibly) lost control of the Russiagate Narrative. From here on put (no matter what the report actually says) the right wing will scream "TRUMP HAS BEEN COMPLETELY EXONERATED" at the top of their lungs while the corporate media does their usual "both sides" schtick. The net result will be panel after panel of leftists meekly trying to discuss the nuance of the report while their roght-wing counterpart simply repeats "NO COLLUSION" over and over.

Its laughably naive at this point to think that the specifics of the Mueller report still matter: they do not and they never did. All that ever really mattered was how the Mueller report would impact right-wing Narratives.

The left has lost that battle decisively- and the corporate media's heavy focus on Russiagate has only further strengthened the "fake news" narrative. This is a very bad day all around and there is no point in sugarcoating that brutal reality.

Jesus man. Take a break from the internet.

The situation is no different today than it was last week.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Prester Jane posted:

We are engaged not in a contest of facts but a contest of Narratives. And the left has just completely (and irreversibly) lost control of the Russiagate Narrative. From here on out (no matter what the report actually says) the right wing will scream "TRUMP HAS BEEN COMPLETELY EXONERATED" at the top of their lungs while the corporate media does their usual "both sides" schtick. The net result will be panel after panel of leftists meekly trying to discuss the nuance of the report while their roght-wing counterpart simply repeats "NO COLLUSION" over and over.

I think you are myopically only focusing on conservative narratives with this fyi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Koalas March posted:

I assume they believe that there is SUPER COLLUSION but no one in power is gonna do anything about it in a real way.