Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

The Grimace posted:

Final Fantasy Dissidia Opera Omni

This has nothing to do with anything but goddamn do the spin-offs have such goofy loving names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

The Grimace posted:

if you can't come to terms with this, I don't know what to tell you. Estinien was the first character they turned into an action figure, and Alisaie was added to Final Fantasy Dissidia Opera Omni due to her popularity.

Bene, we need a bonnie filching cove to help us when we head into the lightmans.

that's a stupid metric and has no bearing the fact that it would be more interesting for spooky crystal guy to be someone of more significance or a new character because theyre clearly going to great lengths to conceal and tease who it is and it would be very anti-climactic for it to just be Generic Cat Guy from side content that lots of people never did

johnny park fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 25, 2019

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
if the plot point centers around the literal crystal tower i dont think there is any existing character more interesting or relevant than graha tia. who do you want it to be, cid?

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

idk dude i just hope its not him

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

This has nothing to do with anything but goddamn do the spin-offs have such goofy loving names.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

johnny park posted:

that's a stupid metric and has no bearing the fact that it would be more interesting for spooky crystal guy to be someone of more significance or a new character because theyre clearly going to great lengths to conceal and tease who it is and it would be very anti-climactic for it to just be Generic Cat Guy from side content that lots of people never did

This sure is a sulky way of avoiding acknowledging you said some demonstrably wrong poo poo and now you’re back pedalling :v:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

johnny park posted:

There's nobody of significance it could be and saying a new character would be more interesting has zero factual basis and also you haven't done the Crystal Tower plot so it's a new character to you regardless.

Basically you are making poo poo up. Though I agree regardless, because Graha'tia and his dumbass naruto eye weren't great to begin with.

Edit: Unrelated to all of this, Bugaal Ja needs to be the dnc trainer.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 25, 2019

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Failboattootoot posted:

Also their LB3 needs to be Sword Dance. Like the BRD LB3 only instead of arrows it's SWORDS.

Alternatively, like the MCH LB3 only a giant sword instead of a satellite cannon.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

homeless snail posted:

You know when they say "hard mode" its actually a brand new dungeon and not just a difficulty level, right?

well when i hit level 50 and finally finished the ARR MSQ my choice at the time was either continue with the MSQ into HW or keep farting around in mor dhona unlocking tons of obsolete endgame content

i just chose the former and never went back to clean up the mess of quest markers in revenant's toll.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I vote Jack for president of the new expansion.

The Grimace posted:

Bene, we need a bonnie filching cove to help us when we head into the lightmans.
Oh dear gods no, I can't understand half of Jacke's obnoxious patter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rastan Beeza posted:

On the Fanfest Stream after the reveals, Ishikawa herself mentioned that everyone should play the CT raid, or at least re-watch the cutscenes.

You not doing it is super fair considering there was a really really dumb unlock for it up until recently ago (certain FATEs had to be done, I believe 8 of them?). That's been removed now, thankfully.

Strong possibility of G'raha Tia coming back. The people hiding from Sin Eaters and Ronso being added make me wonder if ShadowBringers will have FF10 themes similar to how StormBlood had FF12 themes.

Oddly enough the game that the basic outline most resembles is Lightning Returns. A decaying world that is about to be destroyed where only a few places remain, one of which is a hedonistic party town where people party away the last days of their life.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Hard mode is pretty dumb nomenclature for the dungeon and primal revisits.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

johnny park posted:

actually having well written plot that introduces old characters many dismissed as side, one offs is really good because it A) lets your lore buffs go "hey, its that guy! cool!" B) lets your less lore knowledgeable userbase get an extra peek at what's going on in the side content C) makes people go "whats this persons backstory", play the old content (thus spending more time in your month to month subscription game) and maybe get them to go "I wonder what else is in all these side quests I walk by" and spend even more time Doing poo poo.

This is all providing that the character introduction is well written, like "hey so I've been busy at the crystal tower doing experiments. what? what experiments? you don't remember? ah geez, well, lemme walk you through it" and not "hey im some poo poo head from a one off sentence mention in the lore book and i'm here to make you really loving confused for the next hour". XIV has already done this before by (DRK 60-70 spoiler)having you rescue the lady who poisoned you as part of the questline at one point and it was an exceptionally well written quest.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Hard mode is pretty dumb nomenclature for the dungeon and primal revisits.

It should be stuff like Brayflox's Brexit Backstop and The Even Greater Gubal Library.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Luna Was Here posted:

actually having well written plot that introduces old characters many dismissed as side, one offs is really good because it A) lets your lore buffs go "hey, its that guy! cool!" B) lets your less lore knowledgeable userbase get an extra peek at what's going on in the side content C) makes people go "whats this persons backstory", play the old content (thus spending more time in your month to month subscription game) and maybe get them to go "I wonder what else is in all these side quests I walk by" and spend even more time Doing poo poo.

This is all providing that the character introduction is well written, like "hey so I've been busy at the crystal tower doing experiments. what? what experiments? you don't remember? ah geez, well, lemme walk you through it" and not "hey im some poo poo head from a one off sentence mention in the lore book and i'm here to make you really loving confused for the next hour". XIV has already done this before by (DRK 60-70 spoiler)having you rescue the lady who poisoned you as part of the questline at one point and it was an exceptionally well written quest.

I'm so glad that the lady who wrote the DRK quests is the main scenario writer for ShB.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It should be stuff like Brayflox's Brexit Backstop and The Even Greater Gubal Library.
Fractal Continuumer

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Luna Was Here posted:

actually having well written plot that introduces old characters many dismissed as side, one offs is really good...

Much like how Conservation of Detail is a thing, there's also such a thing as Conservation of Cast. If given the choice between re-using a character or introducing a new one it's usually better to do the former. Not only are re-introductions way shorter to do you'll also get a more developed side-character out of it as well. It's doing multiple things at the same time efficiently.

Nessus posted:

Fractal Continuumer

Dodecadactal Continuum :v:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Nessus posted:

Fractal Continuumer

Tam-Tara Deepercroft

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Estinien is a pretty cool dude and I'm glad my first MSQ experience was Dragoon.

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy
my first job was summoner and it ruined me for every other job quest line sans drk

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Wait, can Hrothgar not wear hats?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

Wait, can Hrothgar not wear hats?

According to the interview they can wear hats but not helmets or glasses.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm really starting to wish S-E would've just given Hrothgar some more time in the oven and rolled them out in 6.0.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 25, 2019

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Cutter's Open Sobbing

Also I can't believe I managed to get away from this game for a whole year before they decided that was that and they were going to drop bunny girls and gunblades in the expansion to force my hand. Now I have to figure out what the hell I've missed between 4.2 and now.

so many goddamn beast tribes I bet

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The Howling Eye
The Screeching Eye
The Awooing Eye

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

Vermain posted:

It's got the strongest similarities to 13-3: a world being dissolved into featureless nothingness with only a sparse few areas remaining, a legend of a "savior" that can somehow restore the world, the PC making their home base in a monumental edifice, etc. There's even a Yusnaan expy!

ImpAtom posted:

Oddly enough the game that the basic outline most resembles is Lightning Returns. A decaying world that is about to be destroyed where only a few places remain, one of which is a hedonistic party town where people party away the last days of their life.

I am honestly okay with FF14 taking what was good about Lightning Returns for ideas. It had some lovely set pieces and I even liked its take on a savior in a dying world. The Bhunivelze side of the plot was kinda lame though, looking back on it.

Failboattootoot posted:

:yeah:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I hope that means we get to imitate Lightning and tell some god somewhere "gently caress you I'm gonna stab the poo poo out of you" in an elaborate performance piece.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I hope that means we get to imitate Lightning and tell some god somewhere "gently caress you I'm gonna stab the poo poo out of you" in an elaborate performance piece.

I mean that's the Warrior of Light's literal job description.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Cutter's Open Sobbing

Also I can't believe I managed to get away from this game for a whole year before they decided that was that and they were going to drop bunny girls and gunblades in the expansion to force my hand. Now I have to figure out what the hell I've missed between 4.2 and now.

so many goddamn beast tribes I bet

You should catch up, yes yes.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm really starting to wish S-E would've just given Hrothgar some more time in the oven and rolled them out in 6.0.

That would make it less likely for them to wear helmets, not more

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

:monocle:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

They rub horns

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The First's problem confirmed to be a too-high density of j/o bros overcharging the Crystal.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

In every time, in every place, there will always be unseen bunny boys offscreen lady lions giant phallic crystals.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Rastan Beeza posted:

I am honestly okay with FF14 taking what was good about Lightning Returns for ideas. It had some lovely set pieces and I even liked its take on a savior in a dying world. The Bhunivelze side of the plot was kinda lame though, looking back on it.

Lightning Returns kicks rear end and saved the FFXIII 'series' for me, and as they were showing all of the new areas, I also got a heavy feeling that they're taking inspiration from it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Am I missing something or is GLD actually like, the literal worst tank class? It's like slow-walking through everything! My poor chocobo's having to do double duty just to kill mobs!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

johnny park posted:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

You have to use a j/o crystal to teleport between worlds, guess who makes up the entirety of the crystal guard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Egoist posted:

my first job was summoner and it ruined me for every other job quest line sans drk

My first job was paladin and I'm positively blown away by every other job questline. :negative:

Nessus posted:

Am I missing something or is GLD actually like, the literal worst tank class? It's like slow-walking through everything! My poor chocobo's having to do double duty just to kill mobs!

Is your gear more than 5 levels behind your exp level? If your weapon is way behind, even a vendor sword and shield will make a big difference. Tanks don't deal much damage compared to like DPS, but there isn't much difference between the tank classes themselves. Damage will also pick up once you actually get your combo finisher, which for some reason isn't until like 26.