Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I think that Batman is only palatable with the conceit that he doesn't kill, and Gotham as a place is made to fit with that conceit, so making Batman kill (or even use guns) in a mainstream work is missing the point. Plus, if Batman actually killed the Joker, then there'd be a Ghost Joker, and that's infinitely scarier than normal Joker.

In relation to that, I could totally buy the setting of Injustice, because at the very least Superman being a killer still makes for an interesting story. MurderBatman is basically just Punisher who dresses up in a batsuit.

Anyway... for those who've seen Shazam, how was Mark Strong in the film?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I didn't realize Snyder's charity screenings proceeds were going towards refurbishing the theater/auditorium at his old college (where the screenings were held). That's pretty cool.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Watching Lego Batman and I can't remember someone remind me, was there a massive chud backlash over how gay it is

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

site posted:

Watching Lego Batman and I can't remember someone remind me, was there a massive chud backlash over how gay it is

Not that I recall

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Um excuse me but if you’ll recall there was Obligatory Love Interest Girl (tm) Barbara Gordon so clearly obviously there was nothing gay aboahahahahahahaha sorry

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

X-O posted:

I realize there's really only two people pushing it but holy poo poo is the Snyder chat insufferable. Kind of like his last two movies.

Yea the only others I'm seeing going "ya go Zach!" are coming from the Chudosphere. So good job there.

Titans actually does a good take on why Batman killing would be terrified.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Yea the only others I'm seeing going "ya go Zach!" are coming from the Chudosphere. So good job there.

So you're saying anyone who likes Snyder films is a chud? Alright then, lol.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

teagone posted:

So you're saying anyone who likes Snyder films is a chud? Alright then, lol.
They didn’t say that, no, but its also probably not a coincidence that the strongest anti-“SJW Marvel’ types are also hardcore into DC movies.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

They didn’t say that, no, but its also probably not a coincidence that the strongest anti-“SJW Marvel’ types are also hardcore into DC movies.

Oh, alright. Thought he was just like outright calling Snyder fans chuds lmao. Guess he was just saying since chuds apparently like and support Snyder, that also makes me dumb/stupid/idiotic/insufferable/etc. like a chud because I also like and support Snyder's work and think he's a chill dude.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
No, they love this "no you see like VIRGINS and BATMAN Killing is all awesome and poo poo" stuff. And they turn it around and say that this is why Marvel is just SJW bullshit and will never be as good as the DC movies.

He doesn't sound like a chill dude, he sounds like an idiot fratboy at all.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

No, they love this "no you see like VIRGINS and BATMAN Killing is all awesome and poo poo" stuff. And they turn it around and say that this is why Marvel is just SJW bullshit and will never be as good as the DC movies.

Well, I agree that that's stupid. But that kind of dumb poo poo is just probably just coming from a super vocal minority of crazy fans tbh. I personally don't try to generalize and lump people in with people who like the same certain things with a group that's prone to poo poo like hate-speech and racism. But that's just me.

quote:

He doesn't sound like a chill dude, he sounds like an idiot fratboy at all.

He has such a bad rap of being some dumb jock fratboy. I don't know if he'll ever shake that, lol. Not that you'll ever go out of your way to watch OTHER behind the scenes stuff with him or interviews and such, but the guy really comes off as a giant loving nerd.

[edit] vvv Edited for clarification lol

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 25, 2019

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

teagone posted:

He has such a bad rap of being some dumb jock fratboy. I don't know if he'll ever shake that, lol. Not that you'll ever go out of your way to watch behind the scenes stuff with him or interviews and such, but the guy really comes off as a giant loving nerd.
This discussion is about an interview / panel he did.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

This discussion is about an interview / panel he did.

Yeah I meant other interviews and whatnot :rolleyes:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Zack Snyder sounds like any other random person on the internet with some random strong opinion on superhero comics characters. Just like a billion youtube commentators all have random strong opinions, just like everyone you've ever met at a local comic book store has their opinions, just like everyone here sees these comics in certain ways.

The thing though is that if some random poster named, I dunno, ZS_MooreFan came in here and started going on about how Batman needs to kill people or else he isn't realistic, tons of people would just laugh it off like any other needlessly grimdark take on these characters that we've all heard a thousand times before. "Listen, hear me out, what if...your favorite superheroes...are dark??" is some of the most surface-level schlocky takes on things that we've all encountered by now and I would say the same if it and when it comes from Tom King or Geoff Johns or Brian Azzarello or any other creator; Snyder doesn't get special bonus points for thinking the same thing.

He made a whole bunch of movies that a lot of people don't like. The end. No one is obligated to have to suddenly like those movies just because of his great personality or because he's spent the last year baiting his fanbase and trying to explain why nothing bad about the films is actually his fault and that people should actually totally like those movies instead because the literal specific thing that we don't like about the films is actually secretly good. No one's eyes need to be opened here. No one needs to be helpfully woken up from their false impressions. We got the right impressions when we watched the films, and no one was impressed.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 25, 2019

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm glad the internet wasn't how it is today back in the 80s and 90s or there'd still be assholes harassing everyone who thinks Robocop 3 is bad.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

teagone posted:

Not that you'll ever go out of your way to watch OTHER behind the scenes stuff with him or interviews and such, but the guy really comes off as a giant loving nerd.

Ah, the Jordan Peterson Defense

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's very important that teagone lets everyone know we're stupid for having any opinion, positive or negative, about anything or anyone.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

He made a whole bunch of movies that a lot of people don't like. The end. No one is obligated to have to suddenly like those movies just because of his great personality or because he's spent the last year baiting his fanbase and trying to explain why nothing bad about the films is actually his fault and that people should actually totally like those movies instead because the literal specific thing that we don't like about the films is actually secretly good. No one's eyes need to be opened here. No one needs to be helpfully woken up from their false impressions. We got the right impressions when we watched the films, and no one was impressed.

No idea where you're getting the idea that people should be obligated to like his films after hearing him out or realizing he's also huge nerd. I get it too. Snyder's films aren't for everyone. Hate on his movies, that's fine and cool. I enjoy the debate. All I'm saying is hating on the guy and thinking he's some douchebag idiot fratboy that attracts chuds or whatever because he didn't make superhero movies how they're "supposed" to be made is a lovely/shortsighted attitude imo, and that attitude is prevalent. I say that because I'm a big fan of his work and appreciate what he was trying to do with the comic book movie genre, but again, I realize what he accomplished is definitely an acquired taste.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

In the initial JL script, the dream/premonition sequence from BvS would've been explained.
https://twitter.com/smcolbert/status/1110031230786027520
https://twitter.com/smcolbert/status/1110031862473416704

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 25, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, this was from the Q&A. If anyone is interested, the VOD is up here: https://www.vero.co/vero-live-broadcast

But I guess that's a big rear end gently caress IF lol.

[edit]

poly and open-minded posted:

Ah, the Jordan Peterson Defense

I don't know who that is, or what that means.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Teenage Fansub posted:

In the initial JL script, the dream/premonition sequence from BvS would've been explained.
https://twitter.com/smcolbert/status/1110031230786027520
https://twitter.com/smcolbert/status/1110031862473416704

Darkseid boom-tubing into the Batcave just to murder Lois in a cheap lovely way to raise the stakes would have been peak DC-Murderverse

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

teagone posted:

I don't know who that is, or what that means.

Jordan Peterson is a conservative academic and if you criticise him one common retort from his fans is that you don't understand him because you haven't read enough of his books or watched enough of his lectures.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

X-O posted:

I challenge McCloud to a shut-up contest wherein he shuts up for the good of the thread. Be the hero McCloud, save the thread by not posting.

The accumulated posts of all their rants and complaints will foam up about their waists and all the nerds and mods will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No."

Fangz posted:

It assumes that the dream of the superhero is about only having superior firepower to real cops, and not say, avoiding being corrupt/racist the way the real police are, or being more careful in the use of lethal force, or being more altruistic/willing to put themselves at risk, or being more a part of the community being policed...

(I'm gonna use this as my starting point for my post, so this is not aimed specifically at you)

I mean..yeah? The central conceit of the Superhero concept is part empowerment and part vengeance fantasy, it's about being capable enough to enforce your view of justice in a world that is fundamentally unfair, because as Frank Miller wrote, "the world only makes sense when you force it to". The original superheroes were absolutely brutal and murdered criminals left and right, and the only reason they don't today is because of the comic code implemented to protect impressionable youth from batmans perfidious relationship with robin.

The idea that if you load yourself up with high tech gadgets and train for a decade you'd be able to somehow fight hardened criminals and somehow still avoiding a body count is absurd on the face of it, and only works in the same fantasy where aliens can knock each other through skyscrapers and not have any causalities. And sure, that's partially the appeal of these fantasy scenarios, you divorce them from reality so you can have scenes where Iron man piledrives the hulk through a building but it's ok no one got hurt folks.

But one of the concepts of Snyders comic book movies is that these superheroes are transplanted into our world without the fantasy rules of the comic book world where someone can survive batman jumping 3 floors through a glass ceiling and kicking you in the neck. Batman taking on a room full of PMC resulting in someone dying isn't really "unrealistic", on the contrary. To add to that, some of Batmans brutality in the movie is part of the idea that he's gone off the deep end and is unhinged because of space 9/11, , but also because it fits in with Snyders idea of depicting violence as cool but also gross. You see this across Watchmen, MoS, SP and BvS where there's a duality to his action scenes where violence is depicted as uncomfortably brutal, or is a stand in for abuse, or has a bodycount. Basically, his superheroes aren't insulated from the consequences of their violent actions.

This isn't even unusual in the comic books. Batman has used goons as bullet sponges several timea, and directly or indirectly caused criminals to die.

(Also interestingly, no one complains when wonder woman goes nuts and murders half am army base)

The idea of this isn't to be dark for the sake of dark, but to show how Superman navigates these challenges while still trying to do good, and Batmans road to redemption after having fallen. It adds weight to their struggles when it's against a realistic backdrop. It adds an element of humanity to mythical paragons.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the bubblegum approach MCU or Aquaman/Ww has gone with, obviously, but neither is the more grounded (for a lack of better term) approach Snyder has taken, and that's the big sticking point, that there's a right way to do Super hero depictions, which is obviously the marvel way, and if you don't do it like that you're doing it wrong

Now I'll gently caress off and let you guys go on with your scheduled programming

McCloud fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 25, 2019

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I just can't for the life of me see the intelligent design in "grounded" versions of these characters and situations. It's the sticking point I've had since Nolan. You can tell me how realistic and grounded your story is, but when the main character is still a peace loving alien with laser eyes who can breathe in space, you lose me. If I have to buy into that much ridiculousness just to get the story started, you might as well tell me a story. I don't care that if The Flash was actually real, he'd probably kill somebody by trying to run them out of a dangerous situation and running so fast that they liquidize in his hands.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

It's very important that teagone lets everyone know we're stupid for having any opinion, positive or negative, about anything or anyone.

Nah, not everyone. Maybe just you :v:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Just watched Aquaman, man it was fun. Like its not great, but at least its hopefully and full of joy.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

A realistic interpretation of Batman would not be a Batman who kills, a realistic interpretation of Batman would be a Batman walks into a room and instantly gets shot.

Batman, as a character, from top to bottom is inherently absurd, Snyder's Batman is not realistic because he's still a dude who walks into a room full of guys carrying automatic weaponry and beats them all up with martial arts, ropes and boomerangs. There's a reason why you don't hear about someone doing that in Syria or other war zone, because it's ridiculous. The violence is not gross, it is awesome, when he punches a guy so hard he smashes through the floor, no one was thinking "oh no, how terrible", but many, myself included, were thinking "that was rad".

Snyder Batman is still just a fantasy. Which is fine. But it's not a realistic take at all, nor does it have anything much to say about vigilantism or the idea or brutalising criminals, other than it's bad (until it's good).

I like Snyder, he seems like a nice person, I like some of his films, but I do not like some of his other films, BvS being one of them, I think it's boring, shallow, has bad politics, is badly written, and is unintentionally hilarious.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That future stuff probably doesn't fix the movie but if you weave it in right it sure fixes a few of the issues with Batman's motivations.

Karloff posted:

Batman, as a character, from top to bottom is inherently absurd, Snyder's Batman is not realistic because he's still a dude who walks into a room full of guys carrying automatic weaponry and beats them all up with martial arts, ropes and boomerangs. There's a reason why you don't hear about someone doing that in Syria or other war zone, because it's ridiculous.

Or maybe it's classified, did you think of that smart guy?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Or maybe it's classified, did you think of that smart guy?

Surprised I've never seen a "superheroes are real and the government is hiding them" conspiracy theory tbh.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

site posted:

The thing is, all that gay stuff is subtext, and the kind of chud who'd complain about it is also the kind of person who'd never be able to catch it. (Much like all the jokes in Animaniacs or whatever that went right over the heads of the censors.)

The biggest backlash was from a dude who saw the Gay Agenda in the fact that Robin has two dads, and the fact that this all turns out to be okay (because they're the same guy) is an attempt to make kids believe it's cool to have two dads.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

Just watched Aquaman, man it was fun. Like its not great, but at least its hopefully and full of joy.

Its worst sin seems that after a while all the GIANT ACTION SETPIECES seem to blur together. It's not bad, though.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
After watching Aquaman the impression I was left with was of a modern day The Phantom; it’s bright and fun and stupid and over the top and absolutely no one is going to remember it a year from now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Aquaman has some awkward bits that don't feel like they belong in a $200million movie, but it's alright.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Phylodox posted:

After watching Aquaman the impression I was left with was of a modern day The Phantom; it’s bright and fun and stupid and over the top and absolutely no one is going to remember it a year from now.
I honestly forgot about it until just now.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Pigbuster posted:

Surprised I've never seen a "superheroes are real and the government is hiding them" conspiracy theory tbh.

Glass?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't think he means in a movie.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They're real but not hidden.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Jones

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

teagone posted:

No idea where you're getting the idea that people should be obligated to like his films after hearing him out or realizing he's also huge nerd. I get it too. Snyder's films aren't for everyone. Hate on his movies, that's fine and cool. I enjoy the debate. All I'm saying is hating on the guy and thinking he's some douchebag idiot fratboy that attracts chuds or whatever because he didn't make superhero movies how they're "supposed" to be made is a lovely/shortsighted attitude imo, and that attitude is prevalent. I say that because I'm a big fan of his work and appreciate what he was trying to do with the comic book movie genre, but again, I realize what he accomplished is definitely an acquired taste.

We have a video of the guy comparing people who don’t like his movie to virgins, like that’s something that matters to film criticism.

What the hell are we supposed to take from that???

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Nodosaur posted:

We have a video of the guy comparing people who don’t like his movie to virgins, like that’s something that matters to film criticism.

What the hell are we supposed to take from that???

That he’s a cool dude who dunks on ne-e-e-e-e-erds!!!

(Seriously, the whole “We hate nerds, nerds ruin everything!” is one of the weirder trends I’ve seen in Cinema Discusso, a forum that idolizes a man who writes thousands upon thousands of words pretending to be a communist robot film critic.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Quick, you should all have sex with each other to prove how wrong he is.