Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Bayek didn't even have any kids he didn't stab by mistake and we still got to play as him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

In his case they went straight for the source, didn't they? Just casually hooking up wires to 2000 year old remains, no big deal.

And wait, his wife's grave in this place is too! Score!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

At the beginning of Odyssey they state they are getting the DNA from blood on the spear.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Just finished playing Glass Masquerade 2, and I generally found it to be a lot less fun than the first. I think what really brings home to me the feeling that it's less inspired than the first is that all the jigsaw puzzles build to a circle, while the first had a whole bunch of different shapes. Also the first had various themes throughout (mostly things fitting to each puzzle's location on the world map) while it feels 2 is just a big expansion of the first's Halloween DLC.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I just beat the main game of Monster Hunter World, I'm starting to get a feel for what gem-hunting is going to be like. Pretty much every armor set needs one, and most worthwhile weapons. It's something like a 1-2% chance of getting one - I think... per 'slot' that's capable of getting one (e.g. breaking a monster part that can drop it, carving it, a reward, etc) - if I'm understanding the system correctly. Once you queue up a quest 4-5 times, fill up your inventory 5 times, and eat a meal 5 times, and still don't get it, it starts to make your eye twitch a little.

I love this game, and I get how loot works, but it feels like a fun uphill hike has run up against a mile-high vertical wall of gems.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

muscles like this! posted:

At the beginning of Odyssey they state they are getting the DNA from blood on the spear.

oh, k

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

muscles like this! posted:

And they have some drat top-notch technology considering how many people you stab with that spear

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Captain Lavender posted:

I just beat the main game of Monster Hunter World.
I love this game, and I get how loot works, but it feels like a fun uphill hike has run up against a mile-high vertical wall of gems.

There are ways to game to gem system.
Also, you just missed the anniversary monster events that literally vomited dozens of gems. They'll probably come around again.

Do the Witcher quest for the all-in-one gear set and you've got kit you can take on an arch-tempered with. Not optimal, but I can vouch for it being effective. I did AT Teostra with that, Jho Lance, shield gem and 3x fire resist.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Kerbtree posted:

There are ways to game to gem system.
Also, you just missed the anniversary monster events that literally vomited dozens of gems. They'll probably come around again.

Do the Witcher quest for the all-in-one gear set and you've got kit you can take on an arch-tempered with. Not optimal, but I can vouch for it being effective. I did AT Teostra with that, Jho Lance, shield gem and 3x fire resist.

He's not referring to decorations, but gems.

If you're farming for materials, yeah, it can be frustrating.

Definitely make sure you're doing investigations with gold rewards in them, not regular missions. Those gold rewards can up the chances of a rare drop from 2% to like 15%.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Yeah, in Odyssey for some reason it's because of your character's magic super-power genes that for some reason makes your character abruptly obsessed with finding someone else who has similar levels of super-powered genes so you can make super-powered genetic babies for the superior bloodline for... well, shut up, your magic genetically superior bloodline is super important to your character despite, you know, the bloodline thing being the motivation of the game's villains.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Morpheus posted:

He's not referring to decorations, but gems.

If you're farming for materials, yeah, it can be frustrating.

Definitely make sure you're doing investigations with gold rewards in them, not regular missions. Those gold rewards can up the chances of a rare drop from 2% to like 15%.

Silvers drop gems too, so keep that in mind when farming gems. A 1 gold 3 silver can be as good as a 2 gold.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Thanks for the tips y'all. I still love the game. I've been playing solo up to this point though, and am feeling pressed now to get into multiplayer I guess - speed things up.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I been playing Thea: the Awakening and I have no ide how I'm supposed to engage late game combat without losing a card (unit) every time. Everything hits so loving hard that I can't get armour or shields high enough to keep a card from losing all its health, and even with a medic on team the likelihood of the card surviving is low. End game seems to just be a constant attrition till my deck has been withered from forty to fifty units back down to twenty.

World Famous W has a new favorite as of 19:12 on Mar 25, 2019

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

ULTRA DESPAIR GIRLS : even for a game I'm playing for the story (powerful self-own) this is way too talky, and the map, which should be on-screen at all times, takes just a hair too long and fucks up the flow

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Sekiro is about 80 times more confusing to navigate than any other souls structured game. It's not a big deal but man what I wouldn't give for just a general indication on how many areas the area you are in exits to.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Samuringa posted:

And they have some drat top-notch technology considering how many people you stab with that spear

Its not like it hasn't been a magick technology after the Asscreed 2, where they cared enough to explicitly show how Altair continued the gene line.

Shortly afterwards it has been mummies and bloodstains all over, with some "precursors keep loving with the Internet" thrown in at some points.

...And some people keep complaining that adding unicorns and chocobo as mounts, gigantic Q-tip as a weapon in AC Origins was a non-historical travesty. In a game where the entire plot of the most revered entry in the series was to "Siege Rome, beat up the pope and go talk to the aliens underneath the Vatican".

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 22:32 on Mar 25, 2019

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Prey suffers the same problem as Alien Isolation in that it’s just keeps dragging on and on. Feel like I’ve been half an hour from the ending for 4 hours now. There’s always one more place to go and one more thing to do Jesus gently caress just end the game already

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Oldendless etc

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I love Prey and Alien Isolation, but I agree. At least with Prey you can put points into shotgun and sprint through the rest of the game.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

oldpainless posted:

Prey suffers the same problem as Alien Isolation in that it’s just keeps dragging on and on. Feel like I’ve been half an hour from the ending for 4 hours now. There’s always one more place to go and one more thing to do Jesus gently caress just end the game already

You literally get to see the entirety of the space station from the outside so you know exactly how big it is.

Once you've gone everywhere you get told "OK cool go collect this one sample" and getting that literally triggers the whole endgame sequence which is about another 30 minutes.

Anyway Prey 2017 is an amazing game.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

bewilderment posted:

You literally get to see the entirety of the space station from the outside so you know exactly how big it is.

Once you've gone everywhere you get told "OK cool go collect this one sample" and getting that literally triggers the whole endgame sequence which is about another 30 minutes.

Anyway Prey 2017 is an amazing game.

ok

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

more like oldrebuttalless

Gitro
May 29, 2013

World Famous W posted:

I been playing Thea: the Awakening and I have no ide how I'm supposed to engage late game combat without losing a card (unit) every time. Everything hits so loving hard that I can't get armour or shields high enough to keep a card from losing all its health, and even with a medic on team the likelihood of the card surviving is low. End game seems to just be a constant attrition till my deck has been withered from forty to fifty units back down to twenty.

I never quite got to the endgame stuff because I got tired of the very solvable battles. Oh I can chump these skeletons, I'll just autoresolve. Oops looks like the game decided I got owned instead, OK I'll reload and do fights forever then. By the time an actually fun one came up I was a bit sick of it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Gitro posted:

I never quite got to the endgame stuff because I got tired of the very solvable battles. Oh I can chump these skeletons, I'll just autoresolve. Oops looks like the game decided I got owned instead, OK I'll reload and do fights forever then. By the time an actually fun one came up I was a bit sick of it.

I have the same thing with FFXIV's quick-crafting. I have a 0% failure chance when crafting almost anything, but damned if the quick crafting doesn't gently caress it up somehow.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It is, to some degree, my own fault for focusing on melee in Fallout 4 (I'm trying to 1:1 imitate my Skyrim character as a gimmick) but the game is also just really obnoxiously slanted towards ranged combat at all times. Like, obviously Fallout is going to default to guns for its combat compared to the Elder Scrolls games but I more mean things like the introductory dungeon (clear out the factory bandits for the second settlement) being full of turrets or how any given enemy can knock you out of a melee swing at will, which either puts you into some dumb stun state or doesn't reset your swing delay.

Also, continuing with the absurd unevenness of the plot, the total 180 of going from knocking off the heads of tommy gun-toting 30s gangsters with a baseball bat to save an android detective to :qq: I'm just trying to find my son and avenge my husband :qq:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm finding Ni No Kuni 2 kind of cute and charming, at hte Hydropolis chapter, but it's very basic after a cool opening moment:

You'd think a game that starts with the President of the US being blown into a parallel fantasy world when New York is literally nuked would go places. That's why I loved Eternal Sonata and Blue Dragon, they did things with their characters and narratives.

Eternal Sonata has Chopin be aware that the whole adventure is a dream he's having as he dies of Tuberculosis, and be fine with that for the most part, but as the story unfolds he starts finding it harder to disbelieve the new world's reality as things start blending together and he starts caring for the dream more and more- then at the end of the game he has a psychotic break, denouncing the other characters as feverish fictions and becomes the final boss, as the characters suddenly have to defend themselves against their former benefactor. That's INTERESTING
Blue Dragon has the villain literally farming out his levelling up to the main characters, which is a fun twist when he of course takes the power back, then he doesn't destroy the world. He returns it to how it should be, so him sawing the world in half is something that people just have to deal with after his death, as magic returns to them and they have to learn how to weild it to live effectively inside the planet. Also Shu is literally so boneheaded he won't even flee from battle until he learns the hard way that sometimes a retreat isn't giving up, but a tactical option to survive, and meets someone who has fallen into such despair she tries to kill herself, resulting in him finally realising exactly what he means by "I'll never give up!" That's also strong characterisation.

Ni No Kuni 2 is just basic so far.
I mean, I don't mind basic, but the intro wrote a check that the game is just not cashing.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I'm still really enjoying Sekiro, but who thought it was a good idea to have the resource required for using your prosthetics (i.e. like half your moveset) be drawn from a limited stock? You're already limited to fifteen per rest (which are restocked from your overall supply), so there's really no point for limiting your overall supply as well. It's fairly common and cheap to buy, but it's also pretty critical to borderline mandatory against certain enemies and bosses. So it's really just a perfectly needless annoyance having to re-stock regularly, and worst case you're stuck at a boss and out of money, so now you get to farm for a few minutes just to have base features available.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

John Murdoch posted:

It is, to some degree, my own fault for focusing on melee in Fallout 4 (I'm trying to 1:1 imitate my Skyrim character as a gimmick) but the game is also just really obnoxiously slanted towards ranged combat at all times. Like, obviously Fallout is going to default to guns for its combat compared to the Elder Scrolls games but I more mean things like the introductory dungeon (clear out the factory bandits for the second settlement) being full of turrets or how any given enemy can knock you out of a melee swing at will, which either puts you into some dumb stun state or doesn't reset your swing delay.

Also, continuing with the absurd unevenness of the plot, the total 180 of going from knocking off the heads of tommy gun-toting 30s gangsters with a baseball bat to save an android detective to :qq: I'm just trying to find my son and avenge my husband :qq:

Get agility 9, get Blitz, laugh as you teleport around like some kind of bunny hopping angel of death. Blitz also lets you trigger melee sneak attacks from long range, which given the 10x damage multiplier lets you one shot almost any enemy in the game.

Without Blitz, Melee is a horrible pain the rear end though, and that factory you're talking about is the worst place in the game to try a sneak/melee build, there's something about how it's arranged that it's almost impossible to remain undetected. Other levels are far easier.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Perestroika posted:

I'm still really enjoying Sekiro, but who thought it was a good idea to have the resource required for using your prosthetics (i.e. like half your moveset) be drawn from a limited stock? You're already limited to fifteen per rest (which are restocked from your overall supply), so there's really no point for limiting your overall supply as well. It's fairly common and cheap to buy, but it's also pretty critical to borderline mandatory against certain enemies and bosses. So it's really just a perfectly needless annoyance having to re-stock regularly, and worst case you're stuck at a boss and out of money, so now you get to farm for a few minutes just to have base features available.

For people who didn't play Bloodborne because they didn't own a PS4 this is exactly how it worked with Blood Vials, glad to see From has kept that unpleasant little trick going.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Gerblyn posted:

Get agility 9, get Blitz, laugh as you teleport around like some kind of bunny hopping angel of death. Blitz also lets you trigger melee sneak attacks from long range, which given the 10x damage multiplier lets you one shot almost any enemy in the game.

Without Blitz, Melee is a horrible pain the rear end though, and that factory you're talking about is the worst place in the game to try a sneak/melee build, there's something about how it's arranged that it's almost impossible to remain undetected. Other levels are far easier.

I was actually about to go back and edit to mention how useless VATS is for melee without that perk. That's kind of my other problem so far, it feels like just a few too many niceties are locked behind specific SPECIAL thresholds which gives the impression I'm playing wrong rather than making meaningful choices. Doesn't help that apparently by chance the three stats I invested in at character creation have some of the most boring but otherwise effective perks out of the lot.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
MH:W - I got Nergigante down to limping twice last night before getting splatted, once with a group of four, the other time after learning the hard way that traps don't work on the bastard.

OutOfPrint has a new favorite as of 19:20 on Mar 27, 2019

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

OutOfPrint posted:

MH:W - I got Negrigante down to limping twice last night before getting splatted, once with a group of four, the other time after learning the hard way that traps don't work on the bastard.

Okay okay this specific thing is expressed in game: traps don't work on any elder dragons. Which is dumb, traps should work, just stun them briefly rather than opening them up to capture.

Anyway, I recently watched my gf play through Tearaway Unfolded. I like the changes it makes over the Vita version, but man, I completely misremembered how completely hosed the pacing of that game is. You are constantly running into false endings and plot finales that don't finish the game, defeating the villains of the game only to be told "oh no, time for a new story", or being moments away from your goal only to be pulled aside on another errand. It got pretty drat annoying by the end of the game, quite frankly, and it really soured her experience on a game she initially enjoyed.

Doesn't help that the game goes from a cute exploration-based platformer to a platformer full of narrow walkways, bottomless pits, and some dodgy checkpoints.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Traps don’t work on elder dragons at all (by extension, they can’t be captured). I’ve seen a lot of people say they tried to capture kirin or nergigante with no idea this is the case, so the game does a pretty terrible job of explaining this

I suggest flashing nergigante every time he tries to limp away so you can keep him from going apeshit at his nest for as long as possible. Elder dragons get a lot harder when on their last bit of health at their nest. Also always keep 2 mega barrel bombs in your item loadout in case the elder dragon does make it there and go to sleep.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Perestroika posted:

When I get up to a boss or some area that I reckon I’m gonna die a lot to I will convert all my Sen into Spirit Essence. Because you lose half your money when you die it makes sense to convert it. Once I started doing this I stopped running out really.

I do think it is a weird design decision though. My theory is they did it to get people brickwalling against bosses to leave and do something else.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I do think it is a weird design decision though. My theory is they did it to get people brickwalling against bosses to leave and do something else.

I'm 99.999% sure it's this, there are fewer dead ends in Sekiro than it looks like initially. Of course, without a real in-depth stats/leveling system it's not like you can go grind a ton before a boss to get a few extra defense points or whatever.

Schneider Inside Her posted:

When I get up to a boss or some area that I reckon I’m gonna die a lot to I will convert all my Sen into Spirit Essence. Because you lose half your money when you die it makes sense to convert it. Once I started doing this I stopped running out really.

There are like....two vendors in the early game, both sorta hidden, very very near to each other, both with very limited item selections. It's really, really easy to buy out literally everything they have available early on and then there is literally nothing else to spend Sen on until you find the next one, so you can just dump everything into Emblems every go-round. Killing a single mook almost always drops enough for a single Emblem, stronger mooks drop more, and you get plenty just for killing the mooks in the first place, so it's really easy to have it be a complete non-issue very early on if you pay attention.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Ni No Kuni 2 is just basic so far.
I mean, I don't mind basic, but the intro wrote a check that the game is just not cashing.
It's a pretty accurate criticism of the game, but boy does that series have a lot of charm.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I've been watching a lot of blind XCOM 2 let's plays, and it reminds me that second tutorial mission (the first real, unscripted mission) is loving brutal.

The first mission is completely on rails, but this mission still escalates to be on the level of the second mission of the regular game, which you have to face it with one ranger, the sole survivor of the first mission, and three rookies. The first regular mission has you face basic grunts and an officer, but this introduces Sectoids, who have significantly higher health and can mind control your low-will rookies easily. You also will face an officer or even two on higher difficulties. On top of this, you're given a limited number of turns to hack an object. If you hadn't done the tutorial and done the first mission well, you can go into a second mission with a few rank two soldiers, including the possibility of a specialist who can hack objects at a distance. But you don't have it, so you have to rush forward, most likely alerting more enemy squads than you have the capability to deal with. You also aren't yet given the ability to build items that might make the approach easier, like medkits or flashbangs to disable the sectoid's psi abilities.

Funnily enough, all the LPers with previous XCOM experience seem to fail and have to try again (as did many people on the forum anecdotally), while all the blind idiots succeed, albeit with a lone gravely wounded survivor. Maybe because the former is more likely to try starting on Commander.

On one hand, letting just one more person survive the tutorial to become a specialist would make it easier, but on the other it brilliantly prepares you to eat the tons of poo poo XCOM will dish out.

Also, the LPer almost always gets extremely screwed by an unexpected exploding truck, which is great fun.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 21:23 on Mar 27, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dr Christmas posted:

I've been watching a lot of blind XCOM 2 let's plays, and it reminds me that second tutorial mission (the first real, unscripted mission) is loving brutal.

The first mission is completely on rails, but this mission still escalates to be on the level of the second mission of the regular game, which you have to face it with one ranger, the sole survivor of the first mission, and three rookies. The first regular mission has you face basic grunts and an officer, but this introduces Sectoids, who have significantly higher health and can mind control your low-will rookies easily. You also will face an officer or even two on higher difficulties. On top of this, you're given a limited number of turns to hack an object. If you hadn't done the tutorial and done the first mission well, you can go into a second mission with a few rank two soldiers, including the possibility of a specialist who can hack objects at a distance. But you don't have it, so you have to rush forward, most likely alerting more enemy squads than you have the capability to deal with. You also aren't yet given the ability to build items that might make the approach easier, like medkits or flashbangs to disable the sectoid's psi abilities.

Funnily enough, all the LPers with previous XCOM experience seem to fail and have to try again (as did many people on the forum anecdotally), while all the blind idiots succeed, albeit with a lone gravely wounded survivor. Maybe because the former is more likely to try starting on Commander.

On one hand, letting just one more person survive the tutorial to become a specialist would make it easier, but on the other it brilliantly prepares you to eat the tons of poo poo XCOM will dish out.

Also, the LPer almost always gets extremely screwed by an unexpected exploding truck, which is great fun.

I lost that mission the first time I tried it - something or other happened to prevent me from being able to get to the object before it blew up from environment damage

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Metro Exodus doesn't seem like a bad game at first but it just has a ton of little annoying things. It still has the thing where it doesn't pop up a weapon's name on the screen when you find it in the wild, instead popping up a silhouette. Which is a problem when there are add ons to weapons that can completely change a weapon silhouette. The game has a day/night cycle which is supposed to change enemy behavior but as far as I can tell just makes it a lot harder to see anything at night. Also even on Normal difficulty the weapon damage seems out of whack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

gently caress that poo poo