Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

TalkingBasically
Aug 19, 2018
The son is voiced by a woman.
I heard that Ralph Wiggum is voiced by a lady too, but I think that makes me special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Teik posted:

lol that chick blocked me on twitter after I said how much the episode sucked and she was loving the corpse of the show

Nice one

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Fun fact: The Simpsons ratings have been in an uninterrupted decline since 2001

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

Shouldn't they be in the negative numbers by now?

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Alright well they go to a convention and watch a Krusty panel where the announce an all-girl Itchy & Scratchy reboot. Bart and the other boys decide to pointedly not watch it. But Bart is caught on camera going up to Lisa's room, where she's filming her reaction to the new show, and laughing at it. Video of him being a hypocrite make is on "Josh.0".

Milhouse leads the other boys in a mob against Bart, and they chase him into the girls bathroom where he meets some 6th grade girls. He bonds with them over what he thinks is just pranking Skinner but turns out to be a protest movement. Celebrity cameos: Awkwafina, Chelsea Paretti and Nicole Byer.

Milhouse becomes an MRA (Boys Rights Associations though, so BRA. See it's parody or something because they changed a letter.

Milhouse's parents get turned on because their kid has friends now so he's well adjusted so they can stop worrying about him. There's a post-coital scene with Milhouse's parents.

There's a montage of Bart joining in on their protest actions set to "Cherry Bomb". Most of their protests seem to be painting things pink. Lisa finds out and gets mad at Bart because he doesn't care about their cause only the chaos.

Krusty caves to BRA's protests, so the feminists set out to destroy the old Itchy & Scratchy masters. Lisa and Bart foil them; the other boys blame Milhouse for the whole debacle. Lisa joins the feminist group at the end, which will never come up again because the writers don't give a gently caress about the new seasons just like everyone else in the world.

I'm glad some of you idiots got excited for this one because some twitterer wrote it. It sucked on toast.

Also

Ned and his kids were at the convention with Itchy & Scratchy hats and balloons even though Ned doesn't let the boys watch it. I hope someone got fired for that blunder.

:chloe:

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

I have a few episode ideas.

Bart joins ISIS
A musical episode centered around Marge (nothing but Marge singing, maybe a bit of Lisa to compliment)
Crossover with Law and Order: SVU
Bob Sagat??? (Still workshopping this one)

I'll just leave these next to the door on the way out.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I echo the sentiment that if they're letting random Twitter accounts write episodes they should draft Wint and Da Share Z0ne to take the reigns.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

I've seen every episode of the Simpsons, and I have no plans to stop watching it.
:pwn:

steinrokkan posted:

so have all broadcast television ratings

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

PostNouveau posted:

I've seen every episode of the Simpsons, and I have no plans to stop watching it.

Marvel at my poor choices.

https://entertainment.theonion.com/suicide-letter-full-of-simpsons-references-1819567405

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Drunken Baker posted:

I echo the sentiment that if they're letting random Twitter accounts write episodes they should draft Wint and Da Share Z0ne to take the reigns.

theres actually zero difference between good and bad simpsons. you imbecile. you loving moron.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

pablo gbscobar posted:

theres actually zero difference between good and bad simpsons. you imbecile. you loving moron.

I'm not owned! I'm not owned! I insist as I slowly shrink and turn into a Bart doll.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Rescinding my previous statement about Al Jean. You do not, under any circumstances, “gotta hand it to ‘em.”

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

spaceblancmange posted:

I have a few episode ideas.

Bart joins ISIS

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Let a Google ML algo write a script.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Oh well shame that the Megan Amram episode was bad, she's funny on twitter. Thanks to the posters who are inexplicably still watching 21st century Simpsons for letting everyone know.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Everything is shaded with consistent light sources but the characters themselves and it looks supremely ugly. Like either go all the way or don't, you can't have it both ways

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
I watched the clip from the previous page and... yeuuuchhh. I knew the animation had taken a dive but it's somehow even worse than when I checked back in about 6 or 7 years ago. Everything just looks so stilted and skewed and it has like some weird digital-pastel-coloring going on. Previous poster is very correct on the shading.

It sucks that this is the 'true' Simpsons for a generation+ of people now

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

marktheando posted:

Oh well shame that the Megan Amram episode was bad, she's funny on twitter. Thanks to the posters who are inexplicably still watching 21st century Simpsons for letting everyone know.

I’m honestly blown away that a format limited to 240 characters in text didn’t translate very well to a 20 minute animation.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

NiceGuy posted:

I watched the clip from the previous page and... yeuuuchhh. I knew the animation had taken a dive but it's somehow even worse than when I checked back in about 6 or 7 years ago. Everything just looks so stilted and skewed and it has like some weird digital-pastel-coloring going on. Previous poster is very correct on the shading.

The animation of Bart spray painting things in the latest episode is really telling (not sure if it's in that clip, no way I 'm watching more to find out). He barely moves his arm at all. It's so lazy

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Calaveron posted:

Everything is shaded with consistent light sources but the characters themselves and it looks supremely ugly. Like either go all the way or don't, you can't have it both ways

I wouldn't even call it consistent. The clock to the left of Milhouse is lit from above and below and somehow casting shadows from both angles

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m honestly blown away that a format limited to 240 characters in text didn’t translate very well to a 20 minute animation.
Amram has script credit on some of the best episodes of notable funny show The Good Place

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

marktheando posted:

Oh well shame that the Megan Amram episode was bad, she's funny on twitter.

The credited writer barely matters. They hand in an initial draft but then there are several rewrites in which dozens of writers get their hands on it. There might be 10% of her original script in what actually aired.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
I'd honestly count that as it being easier to write good episodes of a fresh show that's still surprising the audience than it is to pump laffs into a 30 year old marketing beast.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Razorwired posted:

I'd honestly count that as it being easier to write good episodes of a fresh show that's still surprising the audience than it is to pump laffs into a 30 year old marketing beast.

Is the Simpsons really a marketing beast these days? Through the 90's it was a merchandising powerhouse, but now, is there a lot of Simpsons branded merchandise anymore?

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
I misspoke I didn't mean marketing beast like it was in the 90s. I meant marketing beast as in exists to move Funkos more than it exists to tell stories about Springfield.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

the coloring is so...flat :geno:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

NiceGuy posted:

I refuse to believe that anyone under 55 is a regular viewer of modern Simpsons.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

the coloring is so...flat :geno:
That’s what strikes me when people post very recent stuff. It’s seems even more stiff and lovely compared to the early 2000’s stuff. Is it? Like I’m not going to watch this poo poo and check.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Hedenius posted:

That’s what strikes me when people post very recent stuff. It’s seems even more stiff and lovely compared to the early 2000’s stuff. Is it? Like I’m not going to watch this poo poo and check.

The early 2000s stuff looks mostly okay. It’s when the show went completely digital it started to look completely lifeless.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Communist Walrus posted:

I wouldn't even call it consistent. The clock to the left of Milhouse is lit from above and below and somehow casting shadows from both angles

And I'll tell you another thing - the clock says it's barely 4pm but it's DARK outside Lisa's room and yet Bart has to make an effort to pull the blinds!?
Krusty's not on in prime time?!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Krusty is one of the things they've been the most inconsistent with, on a show that always was very full of inconsistencies. Sometimes Krusty's show is for young children, other times it's some sort of prime time showcase for all ages. Sometimes Krusty is only a regional celebrity that can mostly blend in with the public, other times he's a big name international star with a huge brand to his name.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

The early 2000s stuff looks mostly okay. It’s when the show went completely digital it started to look completely lifeless.
Can you link an example? Because in my head I have a hard time thinking of anything that looks ok outside of the canonically good seasons.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Hedenius posted:

and the thing that kills me is how NOTICEABLE it is. i'm not exactly an animation snob, and i'm horrible at art myself, but the quality is so low that it's obvious even to ME how terrible it is.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Hedenius posted:

Can you link an example? Because in my head I have a hard time thinking of anything that looks ok outside of the canonically good seasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hoqx-pnX7-Y
Season 15. It’s starting to look a bit stock by this point but still looks miles better than today.

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

Teik posted:

lol that chick blocked me on twitter after I said how much the episode sucked and she was loving the corpse of the show

Attn Al Jean: Give us Jodorowsky's Simpsons

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Big Beef City posted:

And I'll tell you another thing - the clock says it's barely 4pm but it's DARK outside Lisa's room and yet Bart has to make an effort to pull the blinds!?
Krusty's not on in prime time?!

Maybe Mr Burns has his sun blocker again

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Iron Crowned posted:

Is the Simpsons really a marketing beast these days? Through the 90's it was a merchandising powerhouse, but now, is there a lot of Simpsons branded merchandise anymore?

All the simpsons merch I see these days are instagram artists who make really cool unlicensed merch and then change their shops name every month because they keep getting hit with cease and desists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

PostNouveau posted:

Marvel at my poor choices.

What was your favorite episode from the last season