Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I do it because I follow the sport so it acts as a kind of amplifier. Have won more than lost in 2019. I'd never recommend betting to anyone, unless they were already deep into following a sport and it followed from that. You gotta believe you know better than the oddsmakers. I do know better, at least so far this year. :henget:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

doverhog posted:

It's in no way addictive, or acting as a replacement for true meaning in life. What could possibly make a person happier than guessing who is gonna win a sporting match correctly, and getting trading credits as a reward. No such thing, certainly no spirit or mystery could do it.

i mean...people can get pretty addicted to gambling, and betting on fighters is gambling. Sure the odds are better than buying lotto tickets or playing poker, but it's still something that a lot of people get way too into and end up screwing themselves over with.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

spit on my clit posted:

i mean...people can get pretty addicted to gambling, and betting on fighters is gambling. Sure the odds are better than buying lotto tickets or playing poker, but it's still something that a lot of people get way too into and end up screwing themselves over with.

better odds than playing poker? What? How is a fight, which is entirely determined by things outside of your control, better odds than something where your choices can and do make a difference?

Poker isn't blackjack, there is no house, it's entirely down to how disciplined you are and how much you understand about odds. Which is why I failed at it - I knew the math but have approximately zero self-discipline.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Pied Piper of Hamelin isn't the bad guy of the story, the bad guys are the townsfolk who refuse to pay their freelancers and expect artists to work for exposure.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Gripweed posted:

The Pied Piper of Hamelin isn't the bad guy of the story, the bad guys are the townsfolk who refuse to pay their freelancers and expect artists to work for exposure.

:hai:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

better odds than playing poker? What? How is a fight, which is entirely determined by things outside of your control, better odds than something where your choices can and do make a difference?

Your choice in betting on a fight happens years before, when you choose to watch every fight each fighter has had, listen to countless hours of podcasts and interviews on the subject, etc. When the card comes up the choice has already been made and you should feel it in your gut. I think I know something about this fight, this guy who's a 4.0 dog just well might win. This chick is a 2.0 dog when she should be the favourite. I saw Barbers last KO and those elbows were vicious there is no way JJ can hang with her for 3 rounds. etc.

Poker is a completely different game. Much more abstract, but yeah it's a skill game.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

spit on my clit posted:

I was making some kind of meta point about how though I feel good about winning in gambling and drinking I instead should take up religion, or get married, or some normie bullshit like that.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

Your choice in betting on a fight happens years before, when you choose to watch every fight each fighter has had, listen to countless hours of podcasts and interviews on the subject, etc. When the card comes up the choice has already been made and you should feel it in your gut. I think I know something about this fight, this guy who's a 4.0 dog just well might win. This chick is a 2.0 dog when she should be the favourite. I saw Barbers last KO and those elbows were vicious there is no way JJ can hang with her for 3 rounds. etc.

Poker is a completely different game. Much more abstract, but yeah it's a skill game.

I am not a fighting fan because I find boxing incredibly boring, but I think in that case you are analysing the odds of the people rigging the fights. I do not believe winners of big fights do so by talent. It's like wrestling, but its fans don't even stop to consider that it might be just as scripted.

There seems to be a mutual agreement among fighters to maximize longevity while still getting people to pay up to watch them pretend to fight. Boxing that lasts all 12 rounds where both people aren't bloody messes instead of just mildly tired like they usually end up being are wastes of time. I want to see people knocked out cold, having major injuries like punctured lungs/kidneys etc and not just because your wrestling stunt went wrong. It's a fight.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I don't really wanna start talking about how and why exactly, with some rare exceptions, MMA fights aren't and really couldn't be rigged like that. That's a journey you'll have to take on your own, but probably wont. :shrug:

*also none of the fights this weekend, except the main event mayyybe, were big fights

doverhog has a new favorite as of 01:37 on Mar 25, 2019

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

still boring because even though they could and sometimes do lead to someone beating the poo poo out of someone and inflicting serious injuries on them, more often than not it's just a boring submission hold that you're allowed to tap out of before anything juicy happens.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Feeling very bloodthirsty today duckie. didn't get enough rear end?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

still boring because even though they could and sometimes do lead to someone beating the poo poo out of someone and inflicting serious injuries on them, more often than not it's just a boring submission hold that you're allowed to tap out of before anything juicy happens.

yeah people should just be loving maiming and murdering each other

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Elfgames posted:

yeah people should just be loving maiming and murdering each other

they're loving their brains up irreparably as it is, why not go all the way? Decorum?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

Feeling very bloodthirsty today duckie. didn't get enough rear end?

i went from 27/32 picked right in my bracket in the first round to losing my champion and 3/4 of my final four, i'm ornery and want to see someone get a good kicking

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gripweed posted:

Is this an unpopular opinion? I thought that was how everyone saw it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I just want someone to invent time travel so we can back and see what real event happened there damnit!

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The fact that goons are confidently declaring that self-driving cars are still decades away makes me think that they're probably a lot closer then we think. Seriously I'm actually re-evaluating my opinion now that I've seen what most goons seem to think. No, I don't care if you work in AI or whatever. Goons are always wrong.

O'course, if enough goons believe that self-driving cars ARE right around the corner, maybe we can keep em at bay indefinitely.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

doverhog posted:

I was making some kind of meta point about how though I feel good about winning in gambling and drinking I instead should take up religion, or get married, or some normie bullshit like that.

unironically using the term normie makes me instantly look down on you

Blue Star posted:

The fact that goons are confidently declaring that self-driving cars are still decades away makes me think that they're probably a lot closer then we think. Seriously I'm actually re-evaluating my opinion now that I've seen what most goons seem to think. No, I don't care if you work in AI or whatever. Goons are always wrong.

O'course, if enough goons believe that self-driving cars ARE right around the corner, maybe we can keep em at bay indefinitely.

are you the one i've been looking for?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

spit on my clit posted:

unironically using the term normie makes me instantly look down on you

How did you determine it was unironic? :coolfish:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

doverhog posted:

How did you determine it was unironic? :coolfish:

Well, I've never ever seen a goon ironically say that getting married and/or becoming religious is a bad (or at least undesirable) thing.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I would welcome a good woman who wants to be my wife, or a god to give my life meaning. Either one is welcome to show up.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 04:44 on Mar 25, 2019

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

doverhog posted:

I would welcome a good woman who wants to be my wife, or a god to give my life meaning. Either one is welcome to show up.

when was the last time you shaved your neckbeard

unpopular opinion: the only beards that look good are ZZ Top style beards, every other kind looks disgusting. Moustaches, however, are hard to gently caress up, you will almost always look good with one.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Trapped in irony, in wording if not in meaning.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Normies do suck, though

By definition they're the most mediocre people

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MizPiz posted:

Normies do suck, though

ok commie

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I unironically can say though I am a communist, with some caveats, such as no Stalinism allowed.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha yeah right

moving on: the most popular twitch streamers (those with like 100k+ viewers) have never been good, big twitch streamers with audiences of around 10-20k viewers are rarely good (moonmoon_ow comes to mind as an example of a good streamer #prunegang), but I generally feel that small streamers like Floe or Halfcoordinated are the best to watch.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Betting on sports is a distraction. Capitalism is great but the real poo poo is the tribal my guys vs their guys stuff. What could matter more?

People who bet against their own team are scum. Selling their soul for pieces of silver.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

sassassin posted:

Betting on sports is a distraction. Capitalism is great but the real poo poo is the tribal my guys vs their guys stuff. What could matter more?

People who bet against their own team are scum. Selling their soul for pieces of silver.

look, I'm a Pokemon Moon kind of guy, but I still preferred Pokemon Sun, so sue me

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Players should be able to bet on themselves as long as it’s not something that’ll limit how they play. If a player wants to bet they’ll pitch a perfect game or 7 touchdowns go ahead.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

MizPiz posted:

Normies do suck, though

Normies own. "Oh boy, I can't wait to go see a popular movie and then go home to my wife who I slightly hate!" while we're all over here like, "Oh boy, I can't wait for the blu-ray re-release of some XTRO, which I will watch in my room while trying to figure out what level of physical threat I can imply to a retired British TV comedy writer on twitter without getting banned again!"

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Poker isn't blackjack, there is no house, it's entirely down to how disciplined you are and how much you understand about odds. Which is why I failed at it - I knew the math but have approximately zero self-discipline.

it's craps, play craps

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

sassassin posted:

I've bet against my own teams before. My logic is if they win I'll be happy and not care about the money lost, but if they lose I'll be unhappy but the money won will offset the disappointment a little.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

bobjr posted:

Players should be able to bet on themselves as long as it’s not something that’ll limit how they play. If a player wants to bet they’ll pitch a perfect game or 7 touchdowns go ahead.

"hey buddy, I just bet $300 million that I'll pitch a perfect game against you guys. If you let me I'll give you a good cut"

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

e: oh poo poo oh drat

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've bet against my own teams before. My logic is if they win I'll be happy and not care about the money lost, but if they lose I'll be unhappy but the money won will offset the disappointment a little.

even if your team is good sometimes it's just correct to bet against them. Betting is detached from being a fan imho - the team doesn't see a dime of that money if you bet on them, and it's not like they care or will strip you of your season ticket if they find out.

Something I don't get about betting is people who bet on "sure things". Like those people betting thousands on mayweather for the chance of winning a few hundred. That's just begging for a fluke and you're out a ton of money if you bet enough to make anything non-negligible.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Solice Kirsk posted:

Scum.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Other than his specific team choices (lol pengs especially) yeah i eat rear end is correct.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Pretty much every sweet alcoholic drink is awful. Getting drunk should be awful and painful like my liiiiiiiiife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
non alcoholic beer is better than any kind of booze ever could be