Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Southwest are sending its MAXes to the desert, seems a little drastic, but I guess it saves a bunch of money on sitting around at airports collecting fees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ewe2 posted:

Southwest are sending its MAXes to the desert, seems a little drastic, but I guess it saves a bunch of money on sitting around at airports collecting fees.

This looks like a play to put pressure on Boeing. All the “airline sends entire fleet of new Boeing planes to infamous ‘airplane graveyard’” headlines are bad news.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

PainterofCrap posted:

Uh

"the Constellation, or “Connie” as she is affectionately known as, spent time in Alaska flying in the bush."

:catstare:

How.

well obviously. the bush is a dong's natural habitat

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Lots of long but unimproved runways in Alaska. Would depend on exactly how you define bush flying.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jealous Cow posted:

This looks like a play to put pressure on Boeing. All the “airline sends entire fleet of new Boeing planes to infamous ‘airplane graveyard’” headlines are bad news.

How much is that pressure going to accomplish?

I think it’s simple cost cutting.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
It's not like Boeing is sitting around with its thumb up its rear end procrastinating on fixing the 737 MAX, or that the PR hasn't been devastatingly bad already.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

ewe2 posted:

If MCAS is (probably correctly) to be re-assessed as safety critical and has to go to DAL-A they're going to be very right at wanting a cheap place for them to sit, because it's going to probably take a redesign and a lot of certification rework.

And a lot of time.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Can't they just drill a hole and stick a second AoA sensor on the other side of the nose

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
There's already two AoA sensors, but Boeing decided to save money by having MCAS only get input from one of them.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Sagebrush posted:

Can't they just drill a hole and stick a second AoA sensor on the other side of the nose

It's already got one! MCAS just ain't using it. (Actually it uses them both, individually, on an alternating flight by flight basis.)

marumaru
May 20, 2013

vessbot posted:

It's already got one! MCAS just ain't using it. (Actually it uses them both, individually, on an alternating flight by flight basis.)

but why

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Sounds like a pretty easy fix then.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mortabis posted:

Lots of things on airplanes do.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Boeing also has an AOG center there, so having all the airplanes in one spot to do work on them would be a bonus.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mortabis posted:

The real problem is that they incorrectly categorized the system as less than critical. Now the system has to be redesigned to critical standards which may or may not just be software.

The next question is what else did they not correctly categorize?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

1 of 1 redundancy (i.e. no redundancy) is probably not allowed on flight critical systems.

Coming from a whoooole 'nother engineering field though, so ymmv.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Aww poo poo: https://fireaviation.com/2019/03/24/joe-hoser-satrapa-rip/

:(

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Arson Daily posted:

Boeing also has an AOG center there, so having all the airplanes in one spot to do work on them would be a bonus.

How are they going to get them all the way there instead of cratering in on climbout, smart guy??

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Starting to read that I thought the name sounded familiar, and then "oh poo poo, it's that Hoser."

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

quote:

Here lies Hoser
A fighter pilot
He never landed with his gear up.

If that's on his tombstone, holy loving lol.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Mortabis posted:

It's not like Boeing is sitting around with its thumb up its rear end procrastinating on fixing the 737 MAX, or that the PR hasn't been devastatingly bad already.

Yea man stock is falling pretty quickly im sure there are a lot of all nighters going on.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Mortabis posted:

I mean, I know you're joking but that change would almost certainly require re-baselining the entire flight control system which means, redo pretty much everything you've done to certify the aircraft.

I don't even know if they can start that until the FAA has finished investigations and any legal actions are concluded.

Wanna be a fly on the wall for those design review meetings tho.

Actually no, those would be horrible.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Starting to read that I thought the name sounded familiar, and then "oh poo poo, it's that Hoser."

Same. :( Never knew he flew Connies.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Wingnut Ninja posted:

He might be pretending, to raise his kill ratio...

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

vessbot posted:

I can't speak to this system but I've seen smart probes have real trouble agreeing with each other. I really doubt "boeing save a nickle" is the reason it only uses one or the other in alternate.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuLL8g8ena0

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You'd only get a discrepancy alert with only 2, you need a third for actual failsafe operation, and the actual input integration is a bunch of work they thought they could avoid.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So, logistically how does this grounding work for airlines that need the airframes? It sounds like it's not an insignificant amount of the fleet for some airlines. Are they recommissioning old stored aircraft? Lease? Or do airlines have that many frames kicking around that it's not a big deal?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
It’s very much a big deal, that’s why this whole ordeal is a big deal.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

slidebite posted:

So, logistically how does this grounding work for airlines that need the airframes? It sounds like it's not an insignificant amount of the fleet for some airlines. Are they recommissioning old stored aircraft? Lease? Or do airlines have that many frames kicking around that it's not a big deal?

American is canceling roughly 90 flights/day with a disproportionately large effect on Miami. It's like 1.3% of their available seat capacity, so it's not as big a deal for them as some and they'll just eat the cancellations. Some airlines may delay exit from service of older aircraft (likely by spending the money to perform heavy maintenance checks), and some will likely do wet-leases with other airlines particularly charter companies that are already set up to do this. One of the big things with the 787 groundings was that Boeing had to pay a lot of compensation to airlines for capacity losses.

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

Mazz posted:

I think the coaxial rotor actually has less moving parts than a traditional one as well, since they have to be much more rigid so they don't bounce into each other. Y'all need more tetra posting in this thread by the looks of it.

Eh, I don't know about less "moving" parts than a single articulated rotor. Certainly, SB-1* does not have lead-lag or flapping hinges. If it's like the X2, it's also bearingless, i.e., there are no pitch bearings as the blades just twist. But you still have to have pitch links and twice as many rotating swashplates.

Here's the rotor head from a Ka-26. You can see that there's a direct connection between the upper and lower rotating swashplates, so one set of control inputs is transmitted to both rotors. This conveniently works well with an articulated rotor system, since the ~90 degree phase lag between the cyclic pitch inputs and the blade response means that both swashplates should incline in the same direction for any control. For a rigid rotor, or even a high hinge-offset articulated one, this could be resolved with inclined pitch links.

I believe that X-2, S-97, and SB-1 all have the ability to control the amount of lift offset on the rotors during high speed forward flight. That means that they must allow for differential lateral cyclic pitch inputs, which also means that unlike a Kamov coaxial rotor helicopter the upper swashplate must somehow be able to move independently of the lower swashplate. It will be interesting to see how it's done; I have not seen a clear view of the rotor heads of any of these machines.

The most interesting thing to me about SB-1 is how high of a solidity (ratio of blade area to disk area) the pusher prop has. Either it's going to generate an awful lot of thrust, or they're finally trying to reduce tip speed to avoid the prop sounding as much like an air raid siren as it did on the X-2 and S-97. The prop can be declutched; at hover and low speed it's just wasted power, and even at higher speeds it may cause unwanted noise.

Anyway, it's nice to see it starting to fly. I hope Sikorsky can pull it together.

*I refuse to legitimize the ">," even the Sikorsky "A Lockheed Martin Company" guys I talk to only ever say it sarcastically.

Bob A Feet posted:

On the one hand, Bell is going to bait and switch the gently caress out of the Valor. It will promise lots and bring nothing. I guarantee you it will have the same less than 50% readiness that the Osprey has at any given point.

On the other, the defiants pusher prop is like a foot off of the ground. That thing is going to eat rocks, tall grass, stumps, and infantry men constantly. I’m assuming that thing is another mess of gear boxes, like the Tiltrotor design.

I’m an Osprey pilot. I love flying it. It’s a hell of a work horse. It’s not easy to maintain.

I worked on a test program with a USAF CV-22 before, and I was constantly being told that they weren't comfortable flying a lot of the things we routinely do with helicopters, e.g., flying low to the ground. Now the V-22 is surprisingly huge, and maybe the USAF doesn't use it quite the same way as the Navy would. Bell claims the V-280 can do everything an H-60 can. It is smaller and will has lower disk loading, but I have a hard time imagining it maneuvering at low speed at all like a helicopter does. What do you think?

The tilt-rotor has a huge advantage in that the aerodynamic efficiency at high speed is certainly better than the SB-1. But I'm not yet convinced it can replace a helicopter.

EDIT: Here's a neat PDF of an older presentation about the X2 with a few interesting details.

Tetraptous fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 25, 2019

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Can someone explain to me how this even happens:

https://twitter.com/bbcnews/status/1110161353484980224?s=21

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

That's just some admin cockup. The pilot didn't think he was landing elsewhere, he thought he was correctly flying to the Edinburgh. Very rare I suppose, and annoying for the passengers but not dangerous or inexplicable.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Which marketing dickhead thought putting a carrot in the model designation was a good idea

*caret

a carrot would be funnier tho

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ola posted:

That's just some admin cockup. The pilot didn't think he was landing elsewhere, he thought he was correctly flying to the Edinburgh. Very rare I suppose, and annoying for the passengers but not dangerous or inexplicable.

And that's why you always announce the destination you think you're flying to at the beginning of the flight too :v:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

PT6A posted:

And that's why you always announce the destination you think you're flying to at the beginning of the flight too :v:

Yeah, they always do that, but perhaps they should pause and listen to the reaction more.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Dr_Strangelove posted:

*caret

a carrot would be funnier tho
It's not even a caret. It's a greater-than sign. This is a caret: ^

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
SB GREATER THAN 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/2014-01-06/atlas-identifies-causes-747s-landing-wrong-airport

These things happen.