Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Can we not post Ted rall in the osha thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Necros posted:

Planes scare the gently caress outta me but helicopters are surprisingly chill. Like they're loud as gently caress but the ride is really gentle and nice.
I liked it when the trainer told me "Look, it's stable, the mass is below the lift surface." as I was sweating my eyeballs off learning to synch microscopic shifts in the helicopter position with barely visible stick movements to counter them.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I wonder how they became mobility impaired?

Home made mobility scooter trailer. Surely not a registered trailer either.

https://twitter.com/MacsinSpace/status/1110055952516931585

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/internetofshit/status/1110084844493721600

:psyduck:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Conflicted if this is a risk for Delta P?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mosh3dNCl4A

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
It is, but the delta there is only the pressure of that two feet or so of water, which is like 1 psi.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

It is, but the delta there is only the pressure of that two feet or so of water, which is like 1 psi.

How much square inches would a body cover the diameter of the hole?
Because that's how many pounds are pushing you into it.
Now imagine being stuck in it with your head under water.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The real squeeky bum with helicopters as I understand it is when you see one flying below about two hundred feet. Because that's the envelope in which they cannot auto rotate in the event of engine failure.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

fatman1683 posted:

The training videos for mast bumping are hilarrifying:
Well this is pretty OSHA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QkOpH2e6tM
It goes a long way explaining flying a helicopter too. And love how informative and easy to understand these old videos are.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Lurking Haro posted:

How much square inches would a body cover the diameter of the hole?
Because that's how many pounds are pushing you into it.
Now imagine being stuck in it with your head under water.

Well he was able to lift out the clog with two hands, and the clog seemed to be blocking the entire drain, so I don't think that guy would have had an issue if he somehow fell right on top of it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

The real squeeky bum with helicopters as I understand it is when you see one flying below about two hundred feet. Because that's the envelope in which they cannot auto rotate in the event of engine failure.

Hovering at that altitude, yes. Flying along at speed is fine.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicopter_height%96velocity_diagram

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Grem posted:

Flown in helicopters plenty in the Marines. Their natural state is crashing. Do not tempt God by riding in helicopters.

I do a dumb lil drone podcast with some friends every week and once we had an actual helicopter pilot from the Canadian Armed Forces on to talk about flying real poo poo. We all fly racing drones which have like a 10:1 thrust:weight ratio so you can shoot yourself 10 storeys in the air in ~2 seconds

He took a guess.... the aircraft he flies might have 2:1. Maybe. I assumed it'd be like 100:1, a real hugeass gas engine running those massive blades. But the giant blades also have inertia that needs to be managed and that affects how quickly you can spool the engine, it was a big eye opener.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Saturn V had a thrust-to-weight ratio of 1.2 at liftoff.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Full-size helicopters are at the point where increasing engine power significantly requires you to make the engine that much heavier. And it's not like extra engine performance lets you go that much faster, it just lets you carry more. So they pick the engine to be as light as possible while still having the desired performance characteristics.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The R-44 is a loving marvel. Especially the part where the exhaust fumes can get sucked into the cockpit heated air system.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Posting this again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7jENWKgMPY

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Siri, show me undergraduate statics.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

There are so many bad things done here with production, it's like a menagerie of crappy tv tropes. The over-excited anouncer is a staple, but every single sound effect that clearly doesn't match what's going onscreen is new to me.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Potato Salad posted:

Siri, show me undergraduate statics.

We already talked about the Florida pedestrian bridge.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aside from the giant blimp perched on top, that looks like someone's backyard flying machine project and not something designed by engineers with actual degrees and poo poo. And it flew like it too.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SelenicMartian posted:

The R-44 is a loving marvel. Especially the part where the exhaust fumes can get sucked into the cockpit heated air system.

I’d imagine it has exhaust manifold shroud heating the cabin air like most small aircraft piston engines do. Those systems are basically designed to detect the inevitable exhaust leaks via poisoning/asphyxiation of the occupants.

Somehow, fuel heaters manage to combine inevitable occupant poisoning/asphyxiation with the added probability of an avgas-accelerated cabin fire!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Aside from the giant blimp perched on top, that looks like someone's backyard flying machine project and not something designed by engineers with actual degrees and poo poo. And it flew like it too.

I like trying to coordinate four separate helicopters bolted onto a frame. That's definitely not going to lead to control issues.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Was each helicopter manned? I don't have any sound at the moment, so I don't know if the video said.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Yes, one of the pilots died.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Cojawfee posted:

Was each helicopter manned? I don't have any sound at the moment, so I don't know if the video said.

From Wikipedia:
"It crashed during a test flight, killing one of the four pilots."

:catstare:

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Ah yes that result was a "twist" of fate certainly.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The most impressive part of the shitshow was that they actually managed to get four people to pilot it.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

So the helicopters were controlled independently? What the gently caress, that would have been a disaster even if the helicopters didn't fall off

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

There were five people there.

The most impressive feat is that it survived two months between the first flight and the crash.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Grem posted:

Flown in helicopters plenty in the Marines. Their natural state is crashing. Do not tempt God by riding in helicopters.

I flew in Hueys, Blackhawks, and Chinooks all the time when I was in the Army. I loved it, especially parachuting from them. It was easier to borrow helos and pilots from the 18th Aviation Brigade because they were always desperate for loggable flight time while our Divisional Aviation always seemed to have its head up its rear end and scheduling light drop aircraft from the USAF was basically an impossibility. "You only have less than half a stick of jumpers? Talk to us when you can fill a Herc..." Us and TACP and CCT always ended up sharing birds.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
shithooks are so much nicer to jump out of than a c-130

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BernieLomax posted:

From the cruise ship rescue in norway, helmet cam. They were towed into port earlier today, 13 people hospitalized (afaik).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emXMftApdEY

Yeah thanks I think I'd take my chances on the ship

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah thanks I think I'd take my chances on the ship

I'm kinda shocked a big cruise ship like that wouldn't just have a helipad for emergencies

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Azhais posted:

I'm kinda shocked a big cruise ship like that wouldn't just have a helipad for emergencies

Yeah, but what do you give up to have that? The kids splash & waterslide section? The three-tier adult quiet zone? The Guy Fieri themed burger restaurant?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Omnikin posted:

Yeah, but what do you give up to have that? ... The Guy Fieri themed burger restaurant?
From my cold, dead, ranch-covered hands!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Omnikin posted:

Yeah, but what do you give up to have that? The kids splash & waterslide section? The three-tier adult quiet zone? The Guy Fieri themed burger restaurant?

Captain Noro's Sneeze Zone and Wet Handshake Arcade™ would be a good place to start

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Captain Noro's Sneeze Zone and Wet Handshake Arcade™ would be a good place to start

Surely they don't have to give up the entire boat to get the helipad?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Omnikin posted:

Sure as poo poo not the karting track

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
You can take away the go kart track when you pry it from my cold, dead, hands motherfuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

mobby_6kl posted:

Sure as poo poo not the karting track

I find it strange that only when a portable gokart track is added to the cruise ship do I consider how this reminds me of late stage capitalism.