Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

mandatory lesbian posted:

I forgot the Mueller report was a thing happening for like 3 months, I'm pretty sure other disengaged people will have forgot about it in a week or two

Mueller report dropping now was the best thing that could have happened. We were always going to have to vote out Trump in 2020, and the report was looking more and more like it wasn't going to be the smoking gun. If it dropped in October, it might have dampened Dem turnout in 2018. If it dropped too much later than now, it might have affected the 2020 cycle.

But it coming out now? We haven't even started to weed out the Dem candidates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Z. Autobahn posted:

They recognized them, but didn’t put anywhere near enough systemic safeguards to mitigate their impact (because they saw it as a much smaller problem than monarchy or mob rule). Like I think the founders would dismiss a Trump scenario as implausible because *obviously* Congress would remove a President this unfit to serve.

Wasn't the entire point of the Electoral College to keep wildly unqualified and dangerous candidates like Trump out of office?

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Gravel > Bernie > Warren > Inslee > booty guy > kill me

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Wasn't the entire point of the Electoral College to keep wildly unqualified and dangerous candidates like Trump out of office?

It also provides for a semi-democratic method to figure out who is president if there is no clear majority.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The American system makes a bit more sense when you understand that the founders never even considered that political parties would rise to prominence. They basically assumed that each state would vote for a candidate from that state, so the EC would decide who gets to be president most of the time.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 25, 2019

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

i am the bird posted:

What are Pete’s actual positions on the big issues? His website sucks.

https://twitter.com/PeteButtigieg/status/914863875979345922

Killing people is bad unless they have brown skin, then it’s patriotic

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Terror Sweat posted:

Well lots of brown and black people dying to firearms in this country, mayor butt is ok with it on foreign soil though.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Mayor Pete is a chill cool guy who says some good things but yeah why isn’t he listing actual policy yet and updating his site dunno.

He’s third behind Sanders and Warren.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I could have sworn that I read a Buddha Judge quote saying that he isn't going to AIPAC because he wasn't invited.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

The Kingfish posted:

I could have sworn that I read a Buddha Judge quote saying that he isn't going to AIPAC because he wasn't invited.

yeah . He’s a succdem liberal . but he speaks 8 languages !!!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Grouchio posted:

How does the conclusion reached by Mueller's Report impact chances in 2020? I'd like to think not much, but I've been hearing alot of doomsaying elsewhere.

It's unlikely to change many minds, though maybe it'll finally break down the Mueller worship. I just don't think there are that many people who were on the fence about whether or not Trump is a corrupt sack of poo poo.

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It would be good if Mayor Pete came at Bernie from the left on guns, rhetoric about killing brown people off versus on US soil notwithstanding.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Radish posted:

Ahh it got implied he said it on the trail my bad. Regardless after Obama I'm not really willing to give the benefit of the doubt to these guys not trying to work with Republicans to gently caress our safety net when they clearly want to.

The thing about Beto is that he doesn't seem to have any ideology. He'll just go where the wind blows.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I like Bernie's stance on guns.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

mcmagic posted:

The thing about Beto is that he doesn't seem to have any ideology. He'll just go where the wind blows.

That's the image he wants to project but it's pretty clear he's very right wing on economic matters (and all the social problems that leads to). He would be another Obama that mysteriously stacked his cabinet with a bunch of industry people and then just be forced to lead based on their counsel.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 25, 2019

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

And once he's in office anyone complaining about his pivot to big business conservatism should shut up because his record was out there and they should have seen this coming and the time to bring it up was the primary

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

No one has no ideology, especially not a rich politician.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Yeah Beto is a Trojan horse and nominating him would mean the democrats have learned absolutely nothing since 2016.

Pete is the compromise candidate and Sanders is ideal.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Bass Concert Hall posted:

It would be good if Mayor Pete came at Bernie from the left on guns, rhetoric about killing brown people off versus on US soil notwithstanding.

In a rally the other day, Bernie called for a ban like the one New Zealand passed. Of course, be called them assault weapons, so we might get toothless garbage, but I line to think he's calling for a ban on semi-automatic weapons.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If mayor Pete supports single payer he passes my threshold.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Mayor Pete has said (on a Fox News interview) that single payer is the obvious ideal to work towards, but he is pushing "Medicare for all who want it" by offering a public option on the marketplace, and if it is as successful as he hopes, then keep going onto single payer.

Take that how you will.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Doom Rooster posted:

Mayor Pete has said (on a Fox News interview) that single payer is the obvious ideal to work towards, but he is pushing "Medicare for all who want it" by offering a public option on the marketplace, and if it is as successful as he hopes, then keep going onto single payer.

Take that how you will.

That works. Any public option is functionally equivalent to single payer, as the public option will outcompete in the market place.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That works. Any public option is functionally equivalent to single payer, as the public option will outcompete in the market place.

Assuming, of course, that the public option is designed in a way that allows it to fairly compete, and isn't badly watered down as soon as it starts upending the private insurance market.

Blistering Sunburn
Aug 2, 2005

I don't totally disagree in principle but you know they're going to make sure to run the public option by their good friends at Aetna to vet/gut it. Private insurance companies are smart and if public option will kill them they will neuter it

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Assuming it's allowed to. Insurance companies will lobby hard to make sure it isn't, and that's a very easy vote to make because it's complicated to explain to the public exactly why "the public option will compete on a level playing field" actually means higher costs in both public spending and out-of-pocket charges to patients.

Which is why, when the public option is actually written, the CBO consistently finds that " The option would have minimal effects on the number of people with other sources of coverage and on the number of people who would be uninsured", in other words it's never written to be equivalent to single payer or even universal healthcare at all.
https://www.cbo.gov/budget-options/2013/44890

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Was there still anyone hoping for the basta man to run?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Kraftwerk posted:

Yeah Beto is a Trojan horse and nominating him would mean the democrats have learned absolutely nothing since 20162008.

Pete Warren is the compromise candidate and Sanders is ideal.

ftfy

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/connerhabib/status/1110177772675096577?s=21

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Feel the Butt

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

"I'm here to set up your pumping machine."

(I'm assuming that's what the blocked sign says)

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Was there still anyone hoping for the basta man to run?

they are all gone now rip

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Terror Sweat posted:

Yeah, I can’t vote for anyone that said this stupid poo poo. What a time that was when every troop dem chimed in with this exact same statement.:barf:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Some Buttiguys set up https://www.meetpete.com which is a pretty good if not exhaustive resource on his talking points and policies and whatnot. His campaign strategy (and I'm not saying it's a good one) might be to have very little info on his website and make people go listen to what he has to say.

edit: holy poo poo new avatar day, thanks PPJ!! :swoon: idk what it is, but i love it! :swoon:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Main Paineframe posted:

Assuming, of course, that the public option is designed in a way that allows it to fairly compete, and isn't badly watered down as soon as it starts upending the private insurance market.

That amounts to a debate over the exact content of the specific proposed public option. Like, technically speaking ,Medicare is a "public option," because you can buy private insurance on top of it. Sabotage isn't guaranteed and literally any health care proposal is vulnerable to this same kind of "well, it won't work because corporate interests will sabotage it" attack. :shrug: ("We can't have single payer because the corporations will never let it pass," etc.)

Either it's good or it isn't, but that's a policy debate to have on the merits of a specific proposed policy, not something you can just knee-jerk and dismiss.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

That amounts to a debate over the exact content of the specific proposed public option. Like, technically speaking ,Medicare is a "public option," because you can buy private insurance on top of it. Sabotage isn't guaranteed and literally any health care proposal is vulnerable to this same kind of "well, it won't work because corporate interests will sabotage it" attack. :shrug: ("We can't have single payer because the corporations will never let it pass," etc.)

Either it's good or it isn't, but that's a policy debate to have on the merits of a specific proposed policy, not something you can just knee-jerk and dismiss.

OK so what can we conclude about the fact that anytime specifics for a public option have been proposed it's been a corporate wet dream that is so crippled as to be useless, and all the candidates proposing a public option refuse to give any specifics and are deliberately vague. If your argument is "we need to argue about the merits of a specific proposed policy" only one exists and that's Medicare-for-All, everything else is just buying a pig-in-a-poke.

Also if any proposal is an equally difficult fight to pass over corporate lobbying, then the logical conclusion is to fight for the best proposal, as worse proposals are not easier to pass and come with other drawbacks like higher costs.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

VitalSigns posted:

all the candidates proposing a public option refuse to give any specifics and are deliberately vague.

It's still two years out, that's expected. What to do is, ask the candidates for specifics. Candidate events at this stage are still generally pretty small population, individual people can ask questions. Challenge and clarify and push.

People have this weirdly eschatonic approach to the health care debate, like if we're all sufficiently pure of heart then Magic Single Payer will descend from the heavens.

Even "medicare for all" isn't that clear. For example, Buttigieg claims to support "Medicare for All" but would also allow optional private coverage to continue to exist. That's still within the limits of the term and not a misnomer or dishonest because current Medicare also allows that.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You can't criticize the specifics of Beto's healthcare policy because he doesn't have a healthcare policy, checkmate single-payerailures :smug:

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I guess I have trouble seeing the point of a public option. The problem is that privatized healthcare is too expensive and/or provides insufficient coverage. The only reason to create a public option is to solve one/both of those problems. If it does, private insurance is fundamentally inferior, and will immediately implode, which would be great (for everyone not a private insurance employee who doesn't immediately get transitioned to a public employment position).

Is there anything positive beyond providing some form of buffer to the institutional change/cost?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Doom Rooster posted:

Is there anything positive beyond providing some form of buffer to the institutional change/cost?

Nah, that's it. It's just a way to ease the transition to the public system. What you're missing is that private insurance won't "immediately" implode. It'll happen over a 5-10 year timeframe and will end up with private insurance still existing, just for non-essential care (cosmetic surgery, luxury nursing home retirement, etc.); frills and bonuses.

Plenty of other nations have such systems, including England.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

gently caress the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's still two years out, that's expected. What to do is, ask the candidates for specifics. Candidate events at this stage are still generally pretty small population, individual people can ask questions. Challenge and clarify and push.

People have this weirdly eschatonic approach to the health care debate, like if we're all sufficiently pure of heart then Magic Single Payer will descend from the heavens.

Your approach to politics is so fundamentally wrong that I don't even know if we can communicate but I'll try.

These candidates are coming to us trying to convince us that they should be President. Why should they be given that job if they don't even have a healthcare policy? Why the gently caress haven't they figured that out yet, they've had two years.

And why is "hey here's a specific policy cosponsored by a bunch of congressmen" described as "waiting for Magic Single Payer from the sky"? Medicare For All is the only serious concrete well-defined proposal, everyone else is running on wishes and unicorn farts and assuring us if we just trust them a magic plan will come into being. So enough with the gaslighting.