Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I'll bet on Venezuela in this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Star Citizen transcends the cycle. The funding is a network and the network is alive. Cash is jpegs is cash is jpegs is cash is jpegs is cash is jpegs is cash is jpegs is cash is jpegs is cash is jpegs is cash is jpegs is cash

i have won the war against myself. i love chris roberts

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Complications posted:

Okay I admit I'm completely lost; What's exploration in Star Citizen even supposed to be? I mean, obviously they have to have it because Elite Dangerous was there and did it well, but what are they even promising?

They hadn't explained this yet when I quit following the game so maybe this has changed, but I think the prevailing shitizen notion, based on absolutely nothing, was that there'd be millions of POIs out there and they'd all be interesting/non-identical due to proc gen, and you could just go find em. And if they were interesting or valuable in some way you could sell their location to other players and get rich. Like maybe you're the first person that discovers the wormhole to the planet of big titted aliens and you become the richest person in the game. There was a LOT of theorycrafting about flying a giant loving grid spaced the distance of your sensors across each solar system and how it'd take years and poo poo but it'd totally be worthwhile because think of all the amazing poo poo you'd find.

But from the few hints that I saw my guess is that it would all be quest and instance based. Like you get a quest to go explore Sector ZZ7 and you private instance into that location (so you don't see the 12 other people that are doing the same quest) and wow there's an asteroid there, or whatever and you report back and get your 500 spacebux and no one ever gives a poo poo.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

bird with big dick posted:

They hadn't explained this yet when I quit following the game so maybe this has changed, but I think the prevailing shitizen notion, based on absolutely nothing, was that there'd be millions of POIs out there and they'd all be interesting/non-identical due to proc gen, and you could just go find em. And if they were interesting or valuable in some way you could sell their location to other players and get rich. Like maybe you're the first person that discovers the wormhole to the planet of big titted aliens and you become the richest person in the game. There was a LOT of theorycrafting about flying a giant loving grid spaced the distance of your sensors across each solar system and how it'd take years and poo poo but it'd totally be worthwhile because think of all the amazing poo poo you'd find.

But from the few hints that I saw my guess is that it would all be quest and instance based. Like you get a quest to go explore Sector ZZ7 and you private instance into that location (so you don't see the 12 other people that are doing the same quest) and wow there's an asteroid there, or whatever and you report back and get your 500 spacebux and no one ever gives a poo poo.

A bunch of people underestimate the immense amount of work that goes into making their video games and assume that because a person is claiming that they can produce it easily that it must be easy, give him several hundred million dollars to produce even more video game, and only then start looking into game dev only to find that it's actually really difficult so it's fine that he's not making any loving progress

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

spacetoaster posted:

I've got some bad news for you about when this thing began.

The optimism of the 2013 Kickstarter campaign felt perfect for the Obama years.

It's changed a lot since then, just like Jim Jones changed a lot when he went from "peace and love" church services in California to an armed compound in South America.

I guess what I'm really saying is that there is a chance Chris Roberts will murder a US congressperson before this is all over.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

friendly 2 da void posted:

It's changed a lot since then, just like Jim Jones changed a lot when he went from "peace and love" church services in California to an armed compound in South America.

I guess what I'm really saying is that there is a chance Chris Roberts will murder a US congressperson before this is all over.

Megustalations

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

friendly 2 da void posted:

I hope Chris Roberts buys an actual ship and lives on the ocean with a crew of his most loyal followers to avoid capture, like L Ron Hubbard.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/NRrnNXZ.gifv

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Such FidelityTM

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Under the Skin cosmetic DLC, only $999.99!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Lol it's not even in their interest to release a good product at this point

They'll grease out another $5mil for the module that fixes Becky's neck

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

I don't think thats how those alien things work, what do you call them, feemalles?
Females. That's the word.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/ZoltanTV/status/1109776230172246017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

i can't even design a monster this scary when im trying

i should just hang up my hat

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice

Male ululation is now the official sound of STAR CITIZEN.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

1980s: Lambada
1990s: Macarena
2000s: Ketchup dance
2040s: The Citizen

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

lol 2040s

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/OyqezwW.gifv

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Why do they all have beards like this?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Danger - Octopus! posted:

To conceal the multiple chins

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

all a man child knows is that grown men have beards. therefore if they let their disgusting rear end cheetocatchers grow long it must mean they're real manly men!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

This gotta be an artifact of their idiotic "seamless 1st person - 3rd person transition" bullshit. The player controlling Becky Bodyhorror there is crouching and looking up in 1st person (which breaks her neck) and then spins the mouse around, turning poor Becky into a spastic metalhead from hell.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Mr. Sunshine posted:

This gotta be an artifact of their idiotic "seamless 1st person - 3rd person transition" bullshit. The player controlling Becky Bodyhorror there is crouching and looking up in 1st person (which breaks her neck) and then spins the mouse around, turning poor Becky into a spastic metalhead from hell.

so in other words they were looking around and it broke the game

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Why do they have those barbie / supermodel proportions though

You'd think they'd go for, like, y'know, something a bit more ripped like their greased-up dudes rather than bikini model slender

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Tbh idk who you is in this context but I personally would not think that. I would think they 100% would opt for bikini model

Star Citizen: Shields aren't the only thing being augmented in space dock

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

2019 and they still put out hour long videos like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXNGpg6ZfD0&t=3s

And it's literally one hour of Chris Roberts waving his hands. Absolutely NO game footage whatsoever. And people are still sending them money?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

they find the hand waving reassuring, also the hand waving is the only part of citizen with a working physics model

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Why does everyone at CIG seem more invested into Chris' game than Chris himself?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Telebite posted:

And it's literally one hour of Chris Roberts waving his hands. Absolutely NO game footage whatsoever. And people are still sending them money?

Bud The Cyborg
9 hours ago
@TV Acc The number of people working has (almost) nothing to do with the rate of progress on technical problems.
You can't solve these types of problems faster by hiring more people, and if you can, chances are the talent needed is incredibly rare.

Starcitizen.txt

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Bronze Fonz posted:

Why does everyone at CIG seem more invested into Chris' game than Chris himself?

Cause he's essentially an ideas guy and is loving over the people who actually have to do the work

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Cause he's essentially an ideas guy and is loving over the people who actually have to do the work

I'm assuming we're using ideas guy in the same way technicians call sales reps idea guys. Basically over promising, but not having to deal with any of the fallout when it all goes tits up. That's tech's problem.

PS Croberts has to wave his hands like that because he's so bad at words he literally cannot convey his lovely ideas in any other way.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

JB50 posted:

Bud The Cyborg
9 hours ago
@TV Acc The number of people working has (almost) nothing to do with the rate of progress on technical problems.
You can't solve these types of problems faster by hiring more people, and if you can, chances are the talent needed is incredibly rare.

Starcitizen.txt

No see, they have studios around the globe which means that when one work day is over they hand it off to the next studio. In this way, they work on solving the game's problems 24 hours a day for peak efficiency*

*this is a thing people really say

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Telebite posted:

Why do I always read the comments.

It's all :worship: Very sad.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Why do I always read the comments.

It's all :worship: Very sad.

I'm fairly certain most of those comments are from one of those services that you pay cash moneys to, and they flood your vids or forums or whatever with positive reviews or comments

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Telebite posted:

I'm fairly certain most of those comments are from one of those services that you pay cash moneys to, and they flood your vids or forums or whatever with positive reviews or comments

I'd hope so but why haven't any funny posts been voted up? There are none.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

K, nah c'mon man. You get a series 4 deatomizer, and I get a little midget cricket?