Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I've only read one of the books in that thread and I feel like I've been kicked out of the cool kids club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/KellyKanayama/status/1109584678846107648

This list's accuracy depends on whether E&C can confirm.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Huh, what should your favorite Grant Morrison comic be? I confess I've never really been blown away by anything he's done except All Star Superman.

Red Son. :smug:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

https://twitter.com/KellyKanayama/status/1109539228080316416

lol i've been owned

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Did Morrison even credit that one Doom Patrol story which was a straight up rip off of Borges?

Dr.Magnificent
Dec 24, 2007

Comes with hands on care.
Fun Shoe
Obviously those of us who prefer Final Crisis are gentle-people of renown and taste, with no flaws. As it went unmentioned, as did Seaguy, so I am doubly safe.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dr.Magnificent posted:

as did Seaguy, so I am doubly safe.

RIP
https://twitter.com/KellyKanayama/status/1109587836204929024

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm not on Twitter is The Filth on there? Would be funny if it was the same as Invisibles but just shorter

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

As someone that ha never read it or even heard any kind of opinion on it my takeaway from that tweet is that Seaguy is without a doubt the worst Morrison book.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Scaramouche posted:

I'm not on Twitter is The Filth on there? Would be funny if it was the same as Invisibles but just shorter

https://twitter.com/KellyKanayama/status/1109541735359791104?s=19

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I read Wonder Woman/Conan. It's good, but somewhat frustrating.

At the start, Wonder Woman has lost her memories and powers. And she looks exactly like an Amazon princess Conan knew as a child. So she just slots right into the Hyborian Age. There's no fish-out-of-water or culture clash stuff, the stuff you'd expect from a Wonder Woman meets Conan story. It's just a Conan story. A good Conan story, but still.

When Wonder Woman's memories start coming back she gets more Wonder Womany, some more Amazons show up, and it's awesome, it becomes what I wanted/expected from the beginning. But by that point there's only a couple issues left.

The art by Matt Ryan is good, that dude draws good beefcake of both genders.

Overall I really did enjoy it but you should go in knowing it's much more Conany than Wonder Womany

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

X-O posted:

As someone that ha never read it or even heard any kind of opinion on it my takeaway from that tweet is that Seaguy is without a doubt the worst Morrison book.

It's one of his most fun and approachable works. It's worth a shot if you're blah on GMo.

edit: Okay. Maybe I don't remember it too well. I don't recall it being overly obtuse or anything. The art is super lively and colourful.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 25, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's one of his most fun and approachable works. It's worth a shot if you're blah on GMo.

Seaguy is not fun. Seaguy makes The Filth look upbeat and optimistic

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Huh, what should your favorite Grant Morrison comic be? I confess I've never really been blown away by anything he's done except All Star Superman.

I don't love Grant Morrison, and it's cliche, but Coyote Gospel is really good.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I feel attacked from all angles.

Since he didn’t cover Marvel Boy, i’ll just claim it means I’m cool, sexy, and a hero for the new millennium.

Dr.Magnificent
Dec 24, 2007

Comes with hands on care.
Fun Shoe
Final Crisis is still Safe!

Teenage Fansub posted:

When was the last time you read Seaguy? The first issue is arguably fun and approachable, but it doesn't stay that way for long.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Thread
https://twitter.com/lilah_sturges/status/1109795662353313793?s=20

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Does Arkham Asylum have one? That's what I always associated Morrison with before he wrote everything else he did.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Arkham Asylum seems like such an easy dunk on someone’s weirdness.

Morrison’s Green Lantern is really good though.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I hate to live up to my avatar but these seem like a lot of more or less arbitrary dunks on a lot of stories that are good if often pretty flawed? I suppose a lot of bro-y guys like Grant Morrison, and Grant Morrison's work has had some dubious blunders in representation, but this all seems like a pretty wayward path towards a full-throated critique. I guess the obvious counter is that it's a joke, but I don't know, not many of these seemed spot-on enough for me to laugh. There wasn't really any shock of recognition, probably because so many of these seem to interpellate the reader as a straight guy?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Does Arkham Asylum have one? That's what I always associated Morrison with before he wrote everything else he did.
Not Arkham specifically, but
https://twitter.com/KellyKanayama/status/1109545349474148352?s=19

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 25, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Archyduchess posted:

I hate to live up to my avatar but these seem like a lot of more or less arbitrary dunks on a lot of stories that are good if often pretty flawed? I suppose a lot of bro-y guys like Grant Morrison, and Grant Morrison's work has had some dubious blunders in representation, but this all seems like a pretty wayward path towards a full-throated critique. I guess the obvious counter is that it's a joke, but I don't know, not many of these seemed spot-on enough for me to laugh. There wasn't really any shock of recognition, probably because so many of these seem to interpellate the reader as a straight guy?

:goonsay:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Archyduchess posted:

That was also my impression of them, they are very broad and you could probably mix and match like half them and the joke would be the same either way. Also i guess only dudes like Grant Morrison?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

They're obviously flawed because I don't play any music at parties and am too old to remember doing any book reports of any kind.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

This was awesome.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
If your favorite grant morrison comic is Fantastic Four: 1234 you are:
-depraved
-degenerate
-deranged

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Archyduchess posted:

I think I'm really disconnected from the average comics fans, because all the Grant Morrison fans I know are artsy trans women that love Doom Patrol, Flex Mentallo, and All-Star Superman.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I think save for The Filth, they are supposed to be taken as applying to either gender.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Roth posted:

I think I'm really disconnected from the average comics fans, because all the Grant Morrison fans I know are artsy trans women that love Doom Patrol, Flex Mentallo, and All-Star Superman.

It's a bad tweet thread

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Roth posted:

Yeah me too. In high-school and college he was the mainstream comics writer most likely to come up in conversation in queer spaces (well, in high-school maybe it was Neil Gaiman, but I never got into him and would sort of zone out during those conversations), I suppose he probably has his fair share of snide guy followers but I've generally apparently been able to avoid them.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 25, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My fave GMo comic is that random arc of Swamp Thing he co wrote 25 years ago.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Can you guys help me identify a webcomic I read ages ago? All I can remember is an aside about sports gear. There was this shoulder and arm guard thing thing that was advertised for "you drat well know what". Which was referring to an underground sport that was legally considered a form of assault, so they couldn't mention the name in advertising.

As I said, this was an aside, not part of the actual plot of the comic, of which I remember nothing.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

My fave GMo comic is that random arc of Swamp Thing he co wrote 25 years ago.

Mine is Klaus. I loving love Klaus.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
https://twitter.com/KellyKanayama/status/1109586216146604032

I'm feeling extremely called out now and I don't like it, I think this is cyberbullying.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah I guess my favourite Morrison comic has to be Multiversity now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm not reading Doomsday Clock, hate forums signatures, and I didn't read Multiversity but those other two, um no comment?

I'm just saying, yes Wizard was bad but I really wish I still had every issue of it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The final issue of Wizard magazine feature Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan and declared him "TOP SPACE COP" and I can't think of a more fitting way to go out.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm sure if I went back and looked at old Inquests I'd feel the same way people feel about Wizard, but I loved that magazine at the time.

I think Toyfare might still hold up, or at least, the Twisted Toyfare Theaters maybe? I could be wrong though, it's been a long time.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I sometimes feel a pang of guilt for throwing our the dozen or so Wizard magazines I had. Sure the journalism sucked, and it was basically a listicle given magazine form but I would be lying if I say I didn't use to read and reread them cover to cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A Strange Aeon posted:

I think Toyfare might still hold up, or at least, the Twisted Toyfare Theaters maybe? I could be wrong though, it's been a long time.

There's an insane amount of gay jokes in them.