Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
To me "unusually determined" describes the guy who committed suicide-by-bandsaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

If anyone reading this gets the type of intrusive thoughts we're discussing often enough that it interferes with your daily life or causes distress, please find a psychiatrist. It's a common form of OCD that can be managed with medication and therapy. I suffered from this for literal decades, convinced that it meant I was one moment away from killing myself or someone else.

There is hope. There is help. You are not alone. If you don't know where to begin, PM me.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Phanatic posted:

An actual decision from the 9th Circuit.

Context: Cops execute a search warrant and seize $275,000 in cash and rare coins from the subject. Cops then declare only $50,000 cash on the inventory list, the remainder mysteriously disappears.

http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2019/03/20/17-16756.pdf

The Supreme Court needs to drag the entire doctrine of qualified immunity out behind the shed and bash its head in with a brick.

Cops are garbage poo poo and the least they deserve is time in the hellscape we call the American justice system

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Werong Bustope posted:

To take this already grim conversation to an even grimmer place, if you've not been tempted by your kitchenware you've probably not (yet) experienced the kind of impulsiveness under discussion. The main difference is, knives are a lot more survivable using culturally common suicide methods in the West. Overcoming the urge not to shoot yourself in the head is really no different to overcoming the natural impulse not to throw yourself off a building, except you usually have to walk a bit to find a suitable building or bridge.

Edit: also, yeah, there's a kind of brinkmanship people go through with themselves. There's a good reason that you are advised to remove temptations from the house when you or someone you live with is experiencing suicidal ideation. After someone's made an attempt, one of the first things you do is go round their house and remove alcohol, pills etc. before they come home, because they remain intensely vulnerable. And there's a reason that razor blades, knives etc are tightly controlled in secure units. Like, it might seem maybe TOO obvious that a big part of suicide prevention is making suicide take longer and be more difficult, but it genuinely works. Just like suicide nets on bridges genuinely work too.

This is why you can't get pills in big loose bottles anymore iirc - having to undo each individual pill from the blister packs gives you a lot of time to think.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

If anyone reading this gets the type of intrusive thoughts we're discussing often enough that it interferes with your daily life or causes distress, please find a psychiatrist. It's a common form of OCD that can be managed with medication and therapy. I suffered from this for literal decades, convinced that it meant I was one moment away from killing myself or someone else.

There is hope. There is help. You are not alone. If you don't know where to begin, PM me.

This is a good post read it. Also suicide hotlines are set up for this exact purpose, you won't be bothering anyone I promise.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Get therapy. Learn to love yourself.

Growing up, I had two things that kept me from killing myself, "suicides go to hell" and "my mom will miss me." That was it. My family didn't believe in therapy and depression was something you enabled and made excuses for.

It is not a character defect or a weakness. It's nobody's "fault". Depression is an illness that can be treated. You can be taught to manage it. You can possibly find medications that help with symptoms. You can find other people who understand exactly what it feels like and know that you are not alone.

I'm still in therapy. I still need it. I probably always will. But I'm also still here. And if you are reading this, so you are you.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Pyrotoad posted:

This is a good post read it. Also suicide hotlines are set up for this exact purpose, you won't be bothering anyone I promise.

This^^^

My pm's are also open for anyone looking for UK specific help and resources, especially for anyone struggling with getting help on the NHS, or anyone who isn't sure where to begin. You are worth helping and you deserve help.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Pyrotoad posted:

This is why you can't get pills in big loose bottles anymore iirc - having to undo each individual pill from the blister packs gives you a lot of time to think.

Well, in the UK at least. Over here in good ol murica you can get great honking 400 pill bottles of basically anything at costco. (Also, who the gently caress tries to kill themselves from paracetemol et al?)

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
How soon after you die do your pets start feasting? (If you’re even dead yet.)

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/natashaumer/cats-eat-your-face-after-you-die

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Mister Mind posted:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/natashaumer/cats-eat-your-face-after-you-die

Like the article states, and contrary to popular belief, dogs are as -- possibly even more -- likely to eat you as cats.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

dogs just know you would be cool w/ it

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Well, Hamster Viscera Nest is something I'd never contemplated.

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

... and he is my navigator.

Brawnfire posted:

Hamster Viscera Nest is something I'd never contemplated.

Amazing band name though.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Every pet I’ve ever had has been trained and very well-mannered. They would know better than to waste food.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Mister Mind posted:

I'd rather get eaten by my pets than to just have them starve while I rotted.

Edit: what if you have fish?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hope that the Wet Bandits invade your home shortly after your demise so your fish can feast on your now floating remains.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Brawnfire posted:

Well, Hamster Viscera Nest is something I'd never contemplated.

The terrifying new Viscera Cleanup Detail DLC.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Mister Mind posted:

To share a story I probably won't tell as well, but my fiance told me this one when we were dating, back when he was an EMT in Chicago, he got dispatched out on a Welfare Check call for an elderly lady which got upgraded en route to Suspicious Smell. His partner and him get to the apartment and after they're let in, it's the overpowering smell of cat and litterbox. Cats are everywhere and very friendly. They're petting the cats as they're calling out EMT for a response and see all the bags of cat food torn open and empty. When they neared her bedroom, they started to smell the obvious. She had likely passed away in her sleep and after the cat food was gone, they moved onto the next option. Except for a fair chunk of her torso, they had skeletonized her.

They call it in, stating no vitals, she's deceased and getting the earful that they can't declare death, they responded that they see visible skeleton and the cat curled up in her intestines is meowing at them.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

M_Sinistrari posted:

the cat curled up in her intestines is meowing at them.

New thread title right here.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I think that's the kind of thing "injuries incompatible with life" was invented for.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Well, in the UK at least. Over here in good ol murica you can get great honking 400 pill bottles of basically anything at costco. (Also, who the gently caress tries to kill themselves from paracetemol et al?)

Billy Joel's daughter tried to, but she used a homeopathic one, leading to a darkly hilarious press statement where the toxicologist said there was no active ingredient in the pills she used, so it would be impossible to OD from them. Glad she didn't die, though.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Whitlam posted:

Billy Joel's daughter tried to, but she used a homeopathic one, leading to a darkly hilarious press statement where the toxicologist said there was no active ingredient in the pills she used, so it would be impossible to OD from them. Glad she didn't die, though.

I ODed on homeopathic medicine once. I forgot to take it

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

M_Sinistrari posted:

To share a story I probably won't tell as well, but my fiance told me this one when we were dating, back when he was an EMT in Chicago, he got dispatched out on a Welfare Check call for an elderly lady which got upgraded en route to Suspicious Smell. His partner and him get to the apartment and after they're let in, it's the overpowering smell of cat and litterbox. Cats are everywhere and very friendly. They're petting the cats as they're calling out EMT for a response and see all the bags of cat food torn open and empty. When they neared her bedroom, they started to smell the obvious. She had likely passed away in her sleep and after the cat food was gone, they moved onto the next option. Except for a fair chunk of her torso, they had skeletonized her.

They call it in, stating no vitals, she's deceased and getting the earful that they can't declare death, they responded that they see visible skeleton and the cat curled up in her intestines is meowing at them.

Did they pet the kitty?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

(Also, who the gently caress tries to kill themselves from paracetemol et al?)

Adolescents and young adults who don’t really want to kill themselves who do it as a cry for help and pick something OTC that they think won’t actually kill them. But then it does because the therapeutic index for paracetamol is so low there’s no way it’s get FDA approval today.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I once had a young person come into the pharmacy I work at having overdosed on those paracetamol + caffeine pills. The paracetamol wasn't affecting them yet but the huge overdose of caffeine was. Poor thing was shaking like a leaf.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I didn't realize you could get OD symptoms from too much coffee until I drank like three double espressos and a giant black coffee one morning in college and then collapsed in the library about an hour later feeling like my heart was about to explode.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
You can strangle yourself with loads of poo poo, including jeans and shoelaces. (Using your hands is uh difficult.) (I'm better now, 4+ years of therapy plus meds helped/help a bunch.)

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Mind posted:

https://youtu.be/y3ENkypXQek

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Is it actually healthy for all of us traumatized people to be following this thread?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Everyone's different, but I think openly talking about stuff and sharing experiences is probably good for most people.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I didn't realize you could get OD symptoms from too much coffee until I drank like three double espressos and a giant black coffee one morning in college and then collapsed in the library about an hour later feeling like my heart was about to explode.

I used to take caffeine pills in college because I was a terrible procrastinator, and yeah. Also doesn’t do great things for your mood.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I take an antidepressant that exaggerates the effect of stimulants, so even coke will make me feel weird if I drink too much.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The Lone Badger posted:

I take an antidepressant that exaggerates the effect of stimulants, so even coke will make me feel weird if I drink too much.

I’m pretty sure you’re supposed to snort it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

That would probably kill me.
(Seratonin sickness is not fun times)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Stay safe goons, remember you've always got family here.

Actually I don't know if that's good, just don't commit suicide OK

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I get really bad and intense heart beats after one cup of coffee which i found out during finals once. That was fun.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I took too many caffeine pills once in college and had to spend a few hours in my car just chilling because if I moved or did anything I'd start to vomit again. Never touched them since.

More on topic, I've started to have intrusive thoughts very randomly and not often since my best friend died in front of me. It's been 3 years but I still get a random burst of "well, we could always kill ourself!" Usually when driving since she died being struck by a car. Last year I once did a very early shift on no sleep and had a mini panic attack about how I could twist the wheel and kill myself on the interstate. Like, the entire 20 minute commute I couldn't stop thinking about how I could just...turn the wheel. I now refuse to do early shifts at all so I don't get that feeling again. It was horrible. Just...thinking and obsessing over it, made my hands shake on the wheel because I was terrified I'd just start turning it without consciously thinking about it.

It helps that I'm afraid of death in general. I'd rather go out peacefully in the woods with a shitload of pills at 80, TBH.

e: I've been in nursing homes. I won't go into one willingly. I'll go out somewhere else on my own terms before it comes to that.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
when i was younger, i leaned on my friends way too much whenever i was acutely suicidal. they got sick of my poo poo, and now i don't ever bring it up for fear of losing the few friends i have now. suicidal thoughts are a constant background hum that moves to the forefront, i don't think i'll ever be rid of them

everything everyone has posted makes complete sense to me, and i'd be lying if i said i didn't wish i had a gun even during relatively good times. like i'll be having fun with friends and suddenly think "ok, yeah i should do it now". and forget minor setbacks

and yeah whoever mentioned that they couldn't believe someone would attempt suicide with tylenol, it's desperation. i've suicide-proofed my room and can't even go to the kitchen, because i'll find a way to hurt myself somehow

nishi koichi has a new favorite as of 11:03 on Mar 26, 2019

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i don't begrudge anyone for not wanting to be around me then. they had their own poo poo to deal with

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Mister Mind posted:

Somebody post Elise's story about the guy who had a stroke and his mom and the cats. (Personally my feelings would not be hurt if my cat ate me if I died suddenly.)

Depression-wise, I am currently going through a real bad period, crying at work and only getting the most basic poo poo done in my life. I just completed eight weeks of transcranial magnetic stimulation but it can take a couple months to kick in fully, so fingers crossed. In the meantime, I am trying not to quit my job out of anxiety or otherwise gently caress my life up too much. If things haven't cleared up by June/July, I'm going to try esketamine. I'd love to try real ketamine, but it costs like $6000 and isn't covered by insurance so that's not happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

The last time I posted about ketamine outside of tcc it didn't go well, but... I empathize with you 💜