Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Nae! posted:

Now imagine you've accomplished all of those things and you hate your spouse, you're underwater on your house, and every day in your job makes you want to hurl yourself off the roof.

Your dreams can turn into nightmares very quickly if you don't focus on why they're your dreams. What is it about the marriage/house/career trifecta that actually appeals to you? If you can figure out the components of those things that have actual meaning to you (probably companionship and stability to start), you can seek them out through other means.

Don't fall into the trap of 'checking off the boxes' of society's idea of happiness. Find yours and everyone who doesn't like it can get bent.

well without getting too much into the weeds of it i have a terrified fear over being over the hill at 36 without much accomplished and my looks diminishing and my body wrecked already and it doesnt paint a good picture for the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Nae! posted:

Now imagine you've accomplished all of those things and you hate your spouse, you're underwater on your house, and every day in your job makes you want to hurl yourself off the roof.

Your dreams can turn into nightmares very quickly if you don't focus on why they're your dreams. What is it about the marriage/house/career trifecta that actually appeals to you? If you can figure out the components of those things that have actual meaning to you (probably companionship and stability to start), you can seek them out through other means.

Don't fall into the trap of 'checking off the boxes' of society's idea of happiness. Find yours and everyone who doesn't like it can get bent.

yeah I did this for 38 years before I realized the long slow death march towards team lead literally was killing me

I dropped back into a garbage contractor role and I’ve never been happier

it’s easy to say follow ur bliss when you have privileges and resources but if you have a chance to do something that makes you happy then gently caress society carve your own path

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Zyla posted:

well without getting too much into the weeds of it i have a terrified fear over being over the hill at 36 without much accomplished and my looks diminishing and my body wrecked already and it doesnt paint a good picture for the future

I am 38 and right there w/you

sometimes you come out of mid life crisis understanding now what’s important to you rather than taking a backwards step to being a dumb self absorbed teenager

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

y'all old im 24

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Poniard posted:

y'all old im 24

y'all young :colbert:

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Poniard posted:

y'all old im 24

Look at this tiny child.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Don't look at me I'm not the piss tape

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
you are like a child, watch this

*goes hypomanic and talks without taking a breath for like five minutes*

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
going hypomanic is the bipolar equivalent of :ssj:

bebop esq
Apr 17, 2006

hi boys

Chokes McGee posted:

going hypomanic is the bipolar equivalent of :ssj:

you also gotta love getting virtually no sleep and then having a lot of poo poo to do the next day and being all foggy headed yet restless and hyper and and and

like me, last night and today

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
yeah cool i love having a really lovely weekend coinciding with being weened off my current anti-depressant so my psychiatrist can prescribe a new one I spent basically the whole weekend in bed and now i'm about to just curl up under the covers lol this owns

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Jesus. My shrink it's at least transitioning me into a new one at the same time I'm coming off the old. Hang in there spider hyphen man, you'll make it through!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Goon Danton posted:

Jesus. My shrink it's at least transitioning me into a new one at the same time I'm coming off the old. Hang in there spider hyphen man, you'll make it through!

i'm also on a lot of other stuff so it would probably be a bad idea to be doing both the new and the old at the same time.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
in positive news I did my first safe place exercise for EMDR and it was pretty helpful for me! one more week to see a doc and go at this from a medicine standpoint as well

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
pregabalin definitely lifts my mood but a] am afraid of its long term effects (unknown) and b] it’s a little bit like being drunk so I tend to make worse life decisions, ie, eat worse etc. lowers the threshold for making instant gratification decisions

turn off the TV posted:

i think that my family is going to disown me starting june 1st so it's gonna be neat to see if i can somehow apply and qualify for disability within the next few months or be cured of anxiety, depression and constant migraines before then

but why

i think if I had more money or a future that didn’t involve 45+ hour weeks just to get by things would be better

dream to be a teacher is dead the wages just aren’t livable in my stage of life :[

need to find the energy and motivation to spend my spare time on projects and learning to a] create passive income and b] open up doors to the IT industry where the wages are higher than pharmacy

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

echinopsis posted:

pregabalin

this loving name are you kidding

thats like a hashtag for a woman who's 9 months pregnant and still hits the club

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
loving lol

it's pronounced pre gablin

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
I have several lifetimes worth of anxiety crammed into my brain and for a time I had a panic disorder that caused me to become agoraphobic. Thankfully I work from home and I could make ends meet.

6 years of CBT and a couple of benzo addictions later I've got the panic under control.

Someone in the thread said "don't stop taking your meds" - this is good advice, but also don't not go to therapy and don't lie to your therapist - also good advice.

gently caress benzos, btw

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

how much wackass poo poo can you tell a therapist before they lock you up

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Poniard posted:

Anything short of intent to physically harm yourself or someone else stays private (in the US).

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
generally unless you express an intent to kill yourself and explain that you have a viable plan to do so then it should be OK but it depends on your state (in the US) and your therapist

asked my therapist if they ever thought about suicide and they looked at me weird and say "yeah, most therapists have" and I knew I found a good one

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Man just a ball of anxiety this week this rules that feeling in the pit of my stomach and constant verge of fight or flight owns

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Shifty Nipples posted:

Anything short of intent to physically harm yourself or someone else stays private (in the US).

So they really dont have to report if you confess to a major crime, as long as its not currently in progress? I know what I've seen on tv shows but I always figured therapists would turn on you in an instant if you told them you murdered people and have been getting away with it.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i've noticed that i've been a lot more talkative lately, and somewhat stranger than my usual interactions.

i don't feel like i have to mentally rehearse everything in my head before i say them.

it also occurred to me that i've been taking a new medication for the past couple of weeks.

that may or may not be a complaint, but it's different. and i've been looking for different.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Bilirubin posted:

Man just a ball of anxiety this week this rules that feeling in the pit of my stomach and constant verge of fight or flight owns

hell yea

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Nae! posted:

So they really dont have to report if you confess to a major crime, as long as its not currently in progress? I know what I've seen on tv shows but I always figured therapists would turn on you in an instant if you told them you murdered people and have been getting away with it.

id have to check but they might have to report murder confessions

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Nae! posted:

this loving name are you kidding

thats like a hashtag for a woman who's 9 months pregnant and still hits the club

i laughed really hard at this

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/hourlykitten/status/1110406051684335617

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Poniard posted:

“just asking for a friend”

unless you say the magic words “I’m going to kill myself” or “I am going to kill someone else” or similar statements that make it stunningly obvious either was meant, doctor-client privilege is in effect

otherwise I think they’re legally required to report it but discretion still applies

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
remember, taking up a craft can help take your mind off things

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

“just asking for a friend”

unless you say the magic words “I’m going to kill myself” or “I am going to kill someone else” or similar statements that make it stunningly obvious either was meant, doctor-client privilege is in effect

otherwise I think they’re legally required to report it but discretion still applies

fun fact: if you're with the US gov and have a security clearance, and see a shrink, when they ask you "are you now or have ever seen a shrink" for your clearance update, and you say "yes" you have to get your shrink to provide your employer with the diagnosis.

This is why nobody with sensitive positions in government uses therapy or psychiatrists. If you've ever wondered why they're all mad as hatters.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

the popes toes posted:

fun fact: if you're with the US gov and have a security clearance, and see a shrink, when they ask you "are you now or have ever seen a shrink" for your clearance update, and you say "yes" you have to get your shrink to provide your employer with the diagnosis.

This is why nobody with sensitive positions in government uses therapy or psychiatrists. If you've ever wondered why they're all mad as hatters.

lol that owns

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Nae! posted:

a lot has to do with local flavors of the law. the two seemingly universal exceptions to privilege are imminent danger to harm yourself or another person, and what and how they can divulge (and to whom), and fraud (basically lying in your sessions with them to get meds). the extent varies by your jurisdiction.

and there are a decent amount of exceptions by location too. I know there are lawyers around the forums if you don’t mind telling people the general area where you live. otherwise see if you can find someone that could consult with you for cheap/free to give you the low down. you can also just ask the therapist what they’re allowed to divulge if the rest of those options aren’t appealing. they’re not there to deceive you.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Ugato posted:

you can also just ask the therapist what they’re allowed to divulge if the rest of those options aren’t appealing. they’re not there to deceive you.

In the first session the therapist usually should lay out those guidelines saying "Everything you say stays between you and I unless you authorize a disclosure or if you are an imminent threat to yourself or other." And then depending on the jurisdiction going on about having to report evidence of child abuse or elder abuse. At the end of the day, it is a therapeutic relationship between you and them so they should have no issue answering that if asked.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Ugato posted:

there are a decent amount of exceptions by location too. I know there are lawyers around the forums if you don’t mind telling people the general area where you live. otherwise see if you can find someone that could consult with you for cheap/free to give you the low down. you can also just ask the therapist what they’re allowed to divulge if the rest of those options aren’t appealing. they’re not there to deceive you.
you know I didn’t murder anybody, right

I’m way too fuckin lazy and other people are all the way outside

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

you know, i never even thought about people in high level govt positions not getting any mental health care

it never occured to me bc i just assumed that these folks were pampered and took the best care of themselves since they're bougies who can afford to

but being in a stressful high-level position of power and not getting ANY mental health care because you don't wanna confess to having Totally Bonkers Disorder when it's time to renew your clearances and stuff? jfc :cripes:

any position of serious power like that should come with mandatory physical and mental exams and appointments with a therapist if needed

america is literally criminally insane because we don't think mental health is important and we heavily stigmatize mental un-health

just an entire massive country going hey we're sane, we're good, totally fine i pr--BACK OFF MAN I HAVE NUKES but dude chill i'm fine, we're fine, it's fine. no sad or mad brains in THIS beautiful nation

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

If you try to better your mental health in America you're suddenly not allowed to do a bunch of poo poo

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Poniard posted:

If you try to better your mental health in America you're suddenly not allowed to do a bunch of poo poo

Don't worry, there are plenty of self-help books to buy and paid seminars to go to that don't need to be reported! Maybe they're all going there!

:stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Nae! posted:

you know I didn’t murder anybody, right

I’m way too fuckin lazy and other people are all the way outside

it took until 2003 to finally federally negate all sodomy laws - 14 states still have them on the books, in fact, and if for some reason the Supreme Court decided to overturn the 2003 decision... welp.

basically I’ve been burned too many times by not asking enough questions in my life and I know rules and laws like that, even if the intent is to protect you initially, end up being somewhat convoluted and/or can be twisted to screw people over. not trying to convince you not to see a therapist, but if it were me and I were worried about it, I would absolutely look into the stupid exceptions that could bite me.

but, again, a therapist isn’t out to get you, so having that conversation with them should cover you