Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

frajaq posted:

This is the weird part for me because it was exactly those streams that made me go "wait what, people are excited...for this?"

Some of us have broke brains.

I just started on a new EQ progression server lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

the streams I watched didn't excite me but the idea of the game with all its features working does. also, sometimes I get too stoned and allow myself to be taken in by the boundless and irrational optimism of the subreddit and general community which is full of idiots who think this game is on 100% track to be the best niche mmo ever (but not like vanguard for some reason)

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Ehud posted:

Some of us have broke brains.

I just started on a new EQ progression server lol

Same but I agree with the other poster, all the same.

Ps my necro is up to 32 and my Druid is 27!

Moo Moo Canoe
Mar 11, 2007

Drunk postin' ftw
Didn't Cohh just stream this game like a month or 2 ago? It looked pretty great then. Maybe I don't know the full background of the guys working on it. Were there any games they were working on that didn't release?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Moo Moo Canoe posted:

Didn't Cohh just stream this game like a month or 2 ago? It looked pretty great then. Maybe I don't know the full background of the guys working on it. Were there any games they were working on that didn't release?

Pantheon has failed to take off twice previously. It's not so much games that were canned, but poorly mismanaged MMOs such as Vanguard Saga of Heroes, and Everquest 1 & 2.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
But this time for sure, Bullwinkle!

Xaitil
Aug 5, 2009

Malachite_Dragon posted:

But this time for sure, Bullwinkle!

I sure as hell hope so. P99 is good but it can't scratch that new MMO itch!

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I’m unashamedly excited for this game. Yes it’s McQuaid and lol their kickstarter failed and it’s going to be in development forever and may never see the light of day.

That being said I hope this video game about wizards comes out because I will play it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I said come in! posted:

Pantheon has failed to take off twice previously. It's not so much games that were canned, but poorly mismanaged MMOs such as Vanguard Saga of Heroes, and Everquest 1 & 2.

EQ2 was released in 2004, and Brad was at Sigil from 2002 to 2007, so I don’t think he was responsible for whatever mismanagement might have happened to it. Is there someone else on the Pantheon team who was senior on EQ2?

I’m not actually sure how EQ2 was mismanaged either, tbh. It seemed to be a perfectly serviceable MMO when I played it, without much developer drama. Share the juicy details!

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

EQ2 was pretty miserable on release in terms of actual gameplay plus the engine was (and sort of still is, but less so) absolutely awful as they decided to focus on single-threaded CPUs, believing we'd get bigger and better single cores instead of multi-cores.

It got a hell of a lot better around Kingdom of Sky (the second expansion) and, IMO, had a really good run up through Tears of Veeshan (the 10th expansion) with the game peaking in Rise of Kunark (the 4th).

Post-ToV the game has had a lot of mismanagement and poor design direction. Encounters were never super complex except at the ultimate top end, but the good encounter design there was dropped off a cliff post-ToV.

The game itself became a laggy hell in raid environments due to designs of gear and player buffs that focused on tons of procs which brought combat to a literal standstill. There were a few bosses in Altar of Malice (expansion 11) that we would engage, all the procs would pop, the boss would do his adds/procs, and we'd stand there for 2-3 minutes while nobody attacked or got attacked. This was improved by the end of AoM and then kind of resolved in the next expansion, but still reared its ugly head from time to time.

The game has slowly devolved into a 'haves vs have nots' where the have nots do mere fractions of what the haves do in terms of damage output. They also went the opposite direction of WoW where instead of combating number inflation they embraced it. Multi-billions of player DPS is normal, and caused issues like int overflows making some spells do 0 damage, etc.

Kunark Ascending, the 13th expansion pack, introduced a time-gated Ascension system which had 4 ascension classes with their own set of skills. They were so ridiculously powerful that DPS in bosses came down to popping your CDs pre-pull then unloading ascension abilities and murdering them sub-1m. You could upgrade these with spell scrolls, but the scrolls were rare or literally missing, so you had to wait on Research (more timegate) or spend real money to advance them. A person who maxed them out as magnitudes of power stronger than someone who didn't.

You've also got familiars which are big stack sticks/buff procs that cost real $$$ in loot crates.

I haven't played since KA but from what I understand the game has continued on this way. Gearing is also a bit of a mess, not in that it's hard to get items, but that it's utterly loving confusing and there's a poo poo ton of stats and unclear functionality. It's a 'spreadsheet all your stuff and hit the dummy for some hours or hope another player will teach you all this poo poo' situation.

Bosses in KA and the expansion after didn't really DO a whole lot either outside of one or two unique encounters. They were largely 'can you make your numbers big enough?' fights rather than mechanically engaging.

I should also add that I am brain damaged and I actually like some of this degenerate gameplay and the spreadsheeting poo poo, I just wish the gulf between players who set their wallet on fire and those who don't wasn't bad. I didn't whale but I managed to keep in top 10 DPS in our raids in KA by just knowing more about the game than other people who didn't take the time to figure their poo poo out, which was very satisfying in its own way.

I guess I'm focused more on the design direction flaws here than things like them being bought by the Russian mafia or all the firings etc. because those have been discussed to death.

One thing I will give it credit for is that you can go in their discord and talk tot he devs and poo poo. I've personally talked to Kander and the others and helped point out bugs and balance issues, some of which have been solved due to the player feedback provided. I think most of the issue with EQ2 at this point is really having their hands tied by DBG and their budget/time constraints tight. They basically pop out an expansion a year.

e: god i turned this into a rambling loving mess didn't i? i have such a love/hate relationship with eq2 and i desperately want it to be good because i really liked the setting/lore.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 24, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i never expected this game to be what it should be (eq 1.5 or 2.0) but it's weird how these successors put so much unnecessary poo poo in (camelot with the voxel building for keeps and all).

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Yeah EQ2's most notable issue was that their graphics engine looked like barf and accordingly blew chunks at performance. Otherwise was just the standard litany of buggy content and lag. So WoW ate its lunch like every other MMO, and over the years it gradually faded out into MTX land.

It did have a few gaffes like the /pizza command and that weird facial tracking thing. They tried to do expansion packs on a six month cycle at launch which was completely unsustainable. They tried these mini-expansion packs which mostly just sucked. Everything was voice acted at launch which I'm sure cost some cash money. They also did some strange stunt casting by getting Christopher Lee and Heather Graham to voice the "main" NPCs who accordingly didn't do a goddamn thing until years later when they gave up on voice acting and just brought them back as voiceless NPCs.

But I will say one thing, they cranked out content like crazy. I have no idea how they managed to get this poo poo done on a yearly cycle with the team they had. In particular Kunark was a massive expansion with a bunch of dungeons and raids and an epic quest for each class (altho the final raid dungeon was literally unfinished at launch, as in some mobs were just punching bags with no mechanics). TSO was also notable, it had like 21 dungeons and a bunch of big raids too.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chomposaur posted:

It did have a few gaffes like the /pizza command and that weird facial tracking thing.

Holy poo poo I forgot about the face tracking. Is that still in? I’m playing on the new Kaladim server and I actually have a webcam for once since I had to do a video interview.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

"Why play in a World of Waiting" was their slogan at launch. WIsh I could find the banner for it.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
I still think /pizza was actually a decent idea that would have been an ok feature in EQ circa 2000. Back then not being able to alt-tab out to lookup the number for the local pizza place was a pretty big headache for people that practically lived in the game. If you were doing something like farming LGUK for the frenzied ghoul you were expected to sit for hours at the computer grinding out mobs with very little down time. This was the experience of playing an MMO for a surprising number of people.

Of course in 2004 when WoW was about to come along and blow up all those expectations by not doing its best to have to do things like poo poo in socks so they can spend more time at the keyboard it was pretty dumb. Then they went and made it even dumber with a cringe inducing marketing campaign.

Givin posted:

"Why play in a World of Waiting" was their slogan at launch. WIsh I could find the banner for it.

Whats the deal with this? Was it a cheesey dig at WoW's stability issues early in launch?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It might have had to do with the insane queues to log in at launch. Blizzard had to make new servers daily for almost a week and ask people to use them so the queues would die down.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

I forgot that ad campaign, it's hilarious that EQ2 was taking shots at WoW being wildly successful beyond all imagining. "Why go to that popular place when you can come to our empty dive?????"

Also because EQ2 was one of the least stable games I've ever played: mobs regularly dropped under the world and became unattackable, you could tell if another guild's raid was starting because of the 30 second lag spike in your instance, and contested were literally impossible if a second raid showed up because the lag would make them impossible to kill. Like it wasn't uncommon to just have seconds-long lag on all your skills because, I dunno, too many people logged in that night? And this wasn't just at launch, this persisted up until I quit six expansions in.

iddqd posted:

Holy poo poo I forgot about the face tracking. Is that still in? I’m playing on the new Kaladim server and I actually have a webcam for once since I had to do a video interview.

I don't think so, but as a bonus I found the video of the guy peddling it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG6GK6Oo58c

And apparently it's a feature in star citizen, lol:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-26-forget-voip-star-citizen-has-foip-that-maps-your-faces-movements-onto-a-character-in-real-time

It's kinda fun tech but it loses its charm after about five minutes of messing with it. I think the main reason they were developing it was that they were prototyping poo poo for EQNext.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I had forgotten that spell queue basically existed because lag was so bad.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Ya, back when I was extremely broke brained instead of just moderately, I enjoyed doing raids late into the AM hours because the lag would start to clear up as everyone logged out.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Chomposaur posted:

I don't think so, but as a bonus I found the video of the guy peddling it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG6GK6Oo58c

It's kinda fun tech but it loses its charm after about five minutes of messing with it. I think the main reason they were developing it was that they were prototyping poo poo for EQNext.

In a long lost follow up forum post, that guy had a mental breakdown when feedback for that feature came in as "not very good". He literally went on a tirade about how players do not respect the amount of dev time that goes into features like this, despite being told players would rather see said dev time go to fixing the cornucopia of tangled broken poo poo that was wrong with core game issues, like mitigation and stats just not working at the time.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Chomposaur posted:

I forgot that ad campaign, it's hilarious that EQ2 was taking shots at WoW being wildly successful beyond all imagining. "Why go to that popular place when you can come to our empty dive?????"

This is a terrible analogy. Dives are always more fun! I'd rather go to any dive than an Applebee's or TGI Fridays.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
But at the dives, you don't get handed one of those red flashy "your table is ready" technology and get to feel all :smug: when you walk by all the hordes of people waiting in the foyer.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Givin posted:

Didn't 2 release before WoW though? Like did they already know the Queue thing was going to be an issue?

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Givin posted:

In a long lost follow up forum post, that guy had a mental breakdown when feedback for that feature came in as "not very good". He literally went on a tirade about how players do not respect the amount of dev time that goes into features like this, despite being told players would rather see said dev time go to fixing the cornucopia of tangled broken poo poo that was wrong with core game issues, like mitigation and stats just not working at the time.

I'd forgotten all about that guy. I think his handle was Smokejumper. As I recall, the playerbase largely hated him when he was calling the shots.

Moo Moo Canoe
Mar 11, 2007

Drunk postin' ftw

clean ayers act posted:

Didn't 2 release before WoW though? Like did they already know the Queue thing was going to be an issue?

/pizza was added after wow launched. I had already jumped ship to WoW and you could hear the collective laughter of the wow community when they implemented this. How long after wow was launched I can’t remember but long enough for me to have totally given up on 2. Hilarious that 15 years later I’m subbed to EQ2 laughing at wow PR attempts. :negative:

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Yeah i remember when /pizza was added , i was still playing 2 for some ungodly reason. (I jumped ship after the atrocity that was Desert of Flames).
I just don't remember 2 having a tagline attacking WoW on launch.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you type /pizza in the game now it just opens a browser window with a Google Image search for pizza.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Blizzard made fun of it for their april fools: https://wowwiki.fandom.com/wiki/Pandaren_Xpress

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

iddqd posted:

If you type /pizza in the game now it just opens a browser window with a Google Image search for pizza.

Didn't /pizza just open up an in-game browser tab to the Pizza Hut website anyway?

I know this was back in the dark ages of the mid-2000s but I remember being pretty unimpressed, even as the no-lifer fat bastard EQ2-playing target audience.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chomposaur posted:

Didn't /pizza just open up an in-game browser tab to the Pizza Hut website anyway?

I know this was back in the dark ages of the mid-2000s but I remember being pretty unimpressed, even as the no-lifer fat bastard EQ2-playing target audience.

I think you’re right. But alt-tabbing didn’t work as well back then as it does now. It used to be a pain to tab in and out if I recall.

They should modernize with a /DoorDash command.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

clean ayers act posted:

Yeah i remember when /pizza was added , i was still playing 2 for some ungodly reason. (I jumped ship after the atrocity that was Desert of Flames).
I just don't remember 2 having a tagline attacking WoW on launch.

The pizza command had the tag line not the game

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chomposaur posted:

That's exactly what it did. I know because I ordered pizza using the /pizza command. I feel like I won at life.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

An Ounce of Gold posted:

That's exactly what it did. I know because I ordered pizza using the /pizza command. I feel like I won at life.

You ordered via /pizza at the time? Like in 2002 or whatever? I always assumed no one ever actually used it.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Pathos posted:

You ordered via /pizza at the time? Like in 2002 or whatever? I always assumed no one ever actually used it.

I used it once when it came out to try it when I was 17 with my dads credit card. I’m a very cool person

Moo Moo Canoe
Mar 11, 2007

Drunk postin' ftw

Vomik posted:

I used it once when it came out to try it when I was 17 with my dads credit card. I’m a very cool person

I used /pizza last week then drove to Papa Murphy's then burnt the poo poo out of the pizza rendering it uneatable. It's a cool story but also true. I was very sad.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I actually kinda really liked vanilla eq2. That whole prismatic weapon\darathar\nagafen quest felt epic as hell. Also the leader of the guild I was in used to flip the gently caress out on teamspeak or whatever we used and it was really funny. Then I got bored waiting for the first expansion to release and quit.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Relayer posted:

I actually kinda really liked vanilla eq2. That whole prismatic weapon\darathar\nagafen quest felt epic as hell. Also the leader of the guild I was in used to flip the gently caress out on teamspeak or whatever we used and it was really funny. Then I got bored waiting for the first expansion to release and quit.

Good news. You can roll Kaladim server and experience that right now.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

CohhCarnage just said he’s been working with the Pantheon devs to nail down the next stream event. So that should be coming soon.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

eq2 looked like poo poo. like poser models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think the only reason why Everquest 2 even got any attention on Somethingawful at release was because Lowtax played for a month or so at launch. After he quit, I remember the goon interest in the game dropping off the face of the earth. I never played EQ2 at launch, waited until the game went free to play, but I remember reading about how it was pretty terrible.