Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
A thing I wish it was expanded upon, is her dance at 14, it feels like it should have been a bigger reference to her past but she only mentioned like once, and not even why exactly she peaked at that age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Can we really talk about how amazing Lupita is in this tho? There was an interesting moment at my showing today where the Tethered enter the house, and Red starts to tell her story. And at first there was like, an odd scattering of laughter, I suppose because her croaking cadence is so initially jarring. But like once she dug into that speech the laughter never resurfaced. She just brings it on every level, and I found her transition from screaming to that like moaning laughter after breaking Red’s neck to actually be one of the creepiest little moments in the entirety film.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

I really enjoyed this. Saw it two days ago and Im still constantly thinking about it and unpacking so many details . Personally I think this is better than Get Out though I suspect I will be in a minority on that.

That Italian Guy posted:

I've started considering the option that Red may have just made up a ton of stuff about the underground lair to explain it to herself. There are no other clones able to communicate and the "project" has been abandoned for a loong time...she would have had learned the story of the place from contextual clues (unless the doctors running the place have literally left notes on their research for everyone to find); the whole deal would make more sense (at least from a superficial story POV) if her explanation at the end was literally "magic shadow world, lol", although the Government not being involved would blunt a lot of the message of the movie.

The underground lair being some kind of supernatural thing, with Red rationalizing it as a Government abandoned project would go a long way to explain a lot of inconsistencies.

This is exactly what I assumed when I was watching the film and I was so confused to find people complaining that the monologued explanation doesn't make sense. It doesnt make sense because that character has no more insight into the origins of what is happening than anyone else. 6 year old Red is dumped into a nightmare world that superficially resembles some kind of lab or experiment filled with clones so she rationalises it the best way she can, as a conspiracy theory (side note: not the first conspiracy theory in the film, Zora talks about flouride and mind control at the start). As someone else pointed out earlier in the thread the "underground lab" doesnt make any sense as an actual lab. There are no workspaces. No testing areas or offices or canteens. No utility areas. No space for anyone to actually be in control of this thing. Nothing but a single escalator that only goes down leading to a seemingly endless corridor flanked by identical, repeating classrooms and bunkrooms. Its a nightmare version of a lab, not a real place.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Honest Thief posted:

A thing I wish it was expanded upon, is her dance at 14, it feels like it should have been a bigger reference to her past but she only mentioned like once, and not even why exactly she peaked at that age.

My thought is that it was Red's last gasp at trying to take control. After that, she began developing her plan.

Fart City posted:

Can we really talk about how amazing Lupita is in this tho? There was an interesting moment at my showing today where the Tethered enter the house, and Red starts to tell her story. And at first there was like, an odd scattering of laughter, I suppose because her croaking cadence is so initially jarring. But like once she dug into that speech the laughter never resurfaced. She just brings it on every level, and I found her transition from screaming to that like moaning laughter after breaking Red’s neck to actually be one of the creepiest little moments in the entirety film.

Yeah, it was something I thought was going to turn out that Red was right and it was some sort of transference.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Random Integer posted:

I really enjoyed this. Saw it two days ago and Im still constantly thinking about it and unpacking so many details . Personally I think this is better than Get Out though I suspect I will be in a minority on that.

This is exactly what I assumed when I was watching the film and I was so confused to find people complaining that the monologued explanation doesn't make sense. It doesnt make sense because that character has no more insight into the origins of what is happening than anyone else. 6 year old Red is dumped into a nightmare world that superficially resembles some kind of lab or experiment filled with clones so she rationalises it the best way she can, as a conspiracy theory (side note: not the first conspiracy theory in the film, Zora talks about flouride and mind control at the start). As someone else pointed out earlier in the thread the "underground lab" doesnt make any sense as an actual lab. There are no workspaces. No testing areas or offices or canteens. No utility areas. No space for anyone to actually be in control of this thing. Nothing but a single escalator that only goes down leading to a seemingly endless corridor flanked by identical, repeating classrooms and bunkrooms. Its a nightmare version of a lab, not a real place.

That's what I think.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Fart City posted:

If each character had been played by two different actresses, I'd have been impressed with both. It's real easy to forget they had to use stand-ins because she puts down two really strong characters.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

I thought the movie was great and an underground lab where we developed clones for a mind control program, but abandoned it after it didn't deliver on its nefarious purpose, is totally something that could have happened during Cold War era America. So I even think the monologued version make some sense to me and makes the whole thing a sort of reaping what you sow for our crazy military experiments
I grew up going to the SC Board Walk, and it's always been a little weird compared to other, more modern, amusement parks. Great to see it used for the setting here.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

I think the reason I dislike the twist at the end so much is because while I agree with the reading that it’s not supposed to be a Usual Suspects-style thing that recontextualizes all the events thus far (and more a moral point about your upbringing and circumstances deciding who you are as opposed to any inherent traits), even that is undermined by the way Peele telegraphs it, where Jason notices twice that his mom enjoys murder a little too much.

I don’t buy that either because they all joke about their kill count and Zora seems to have no issue bludgeoning a girl to death with a golf club, and Jason too with Kitty’s doppelgänger. There’s really not even a difference in how Adelaide did her murders that I saw

Another issue (or plot hole) I had with the twist at the end is the Owl. She’s scared by the owl in the hall of mirrors at the beginning of the movie, but when she returns at the end she hits the owl with her iron. It was a good set up and payoff I thought when I saw it, but when you look back at it after the twist, there’s no reason the Tethered Adelaide would angrily strike the owl. Or maybe she would because she likes murder idk, but it ruins the whole payoff of that moment.. It all just felt unearned IMO

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Baxate posted:

I don’t buy that either because they all joke about their kill count and Zora seems to have no issue bludgeoning a girl to death with a golf club, and Jason too with Kitty’s doppelgänger. There’s really not even a difference in how Adelaide did her murders that I saw

It’s there.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

I read it as the only difference between the tethered and regular society being their environment. The family starts to get jokey when they have the upper hand in the violence.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Baxate posted:

she laughs when she kills red.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

One interesting/pointless plot hole that I haven't seen pointed out: What do the rabbits eat? Again, the whole thing is like a nightmare so you're not supposed to think about it to hard; but it's kind of weird that with all the other stuff I've seen people complaining and joking about I haven't seen anyone point out that there were no plants underground for the rabbits to eat and so they (any by extension the tethered) would have all quickly starved to death.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

They eat rabbits, duh

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Do we really need to see them feed the rabbits onscreen or can we just assume they were feeding the rabbits

Wax Tadpole
Jan 23, 2004

I think the problem was that everyone told me to put on my thinking cap before going into the theater. So under that kind of scrutiny, I found so many plot holes that that it made me angry when the credits rolled. And I shouldn’t have to conjure up a cement truck to fill in all the holes in order to make it work somehow.

I mean how difficult is it just to say “hey guys I’m the real Adelaide”? Also why did she explain the origins of the doppelgängers to the goddamn doppelgänger? I feel once the movie started trying to explain itself it all just started to fall apart.

I could go on, but I really should’ve went in there with different expectations.

Wax Tadpole fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 25, 2019

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

snyprmag posted:

I read it as the only difference between the tethered and regular society being their environment. The family starts to get jokey when they have the upper hand in the violence.
I think it's really worth remembering how much Night of the Living Dead informed Get Out, specifically its original ending and eventual fakeout real ending. I think Peel is definitely on board with people getting really into murder once it's sanctioned or excused.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pharmaskittle posted:

They eat rabbits, duh

Prolonged mass cannibalism is unsustainable when it's the exclusive food source of a species :colbert:

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Do we really need to see them feed the rabbits onscreen or can we just assume they were feeding the rabbits

What were they feeding the rabbits with? I guess there was an alfalfa garden on the cotton plantation they had in the basement.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

pospysyl posted:

What were they feeding the rabbits with?

Rabbit food

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

We absolutely don't, same way we don't need to see Jason going shopping for chainsaws and breakfast cereal, it's just a fun thing to joke about.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Wax Tadpole posted:

I mean how difficult is it just to say “hey guys I’m the real Adelaide”? Also why did she explain the origins of the doppelgängers to the goddamn doppelgänger? I feel once the movie started trying to explain itself it all just started to fall apart.

What would that accomplish though? Red is nobody to them. Adelaide may be a tether but she is their real mother. She has no connection to them and clearly doesn’t like either version because Red isn’t the one who chose this. So there’s no point in winning them over.

Wax Tadpole
Jan 23, 2004

TheHan posted:

What would that accomplish though? Red is nobody to them. Adelaide may be a tether but she is their real mother. She has no connection to them and clearly doesn’t like either version because Red isn’t the one who chose this. So there’s no point in winning them over.

It would be a clearer message than Hands across America for starters.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Also Red is clearly tormenting Adelaide; and one of the tortures she undergoes is being kept in constant fear of her identity being revealed.

Of course most of the story only works if Adelaide is unaware of being a clone at that time but Red has probably no means to know that, if that's the case.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I didn't care or need to see this but it would have been dope if there was even a passing shot of one of the Tethered chowing down on some raw bun. Maybe Peele thought that that would dehumanize them, but if that's the case why include that detail?

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 26, 2019

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Adelaide felt like she was being followed her whole life by her tethered, and after everything that happened the relief that she must’ve felt, so I didn’t think it was toooo weird that she’d have a primal reaction to killing Red. But there was an emphasis put on the weird like growling noise she made after both kills

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

I didn't care or need to see this but it would have been dope if there was even a passing shot of one of the Tethered chowing down on some raw bun. Maybe Peele thought that that would dehumanize them, but if that's the case why include that detail?

There is. The food court Tethers are eating uncooked rabbit chunks when Adelaide is walking down the hall to the escalator.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Which is of course another plot hole because if you eat nothing but rabbit you'll die of malnutrition pretty quick

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That Italian Guy posted:

Also Red is clearly tormenting Adelaide; and one of the tortures she undergoes is being kept in constant fear of her identity being revealed.

Of course most of the story only works if Adelaide is unaware of being a clone at that time but Red has probably no means to know that, if that's the case.

she doesn't know.

Alan_Shore posted:

Which is of course another plot hole because if you eat nothing but rabbit you'll die of malnutrition pretty quick

not what "plot hole" means.

Wax Tadpole
Jan 23, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

she doesn't know.

Only she explains the ENTIRE story of her meeting the mirror girl.

Wax Tadpole fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 26, 2019

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Alan_Shore posted:

So this is the cinema sins goon account.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wax Tadpole posted:

Only she explains the ENTIRE story of her meeting the mirror girl.

yeah people tell themselves lies about themselves until they believe it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Fun fact: The villain of the film explaining the premise of the tethered by starting "Once upon a time..." should have been a clue on how to take the movie.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Young Freud posted:

There is. The food court Tethers are eating uncooked rabbit chunks when Adelaide is walking down the hall to the escalator.

They weren't just chunks, they were eating a skinned rabbit that was still alive and you can hear it screaming.

Wax Tadpole
Jan 23, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah people tell themselves lies about themselves until they believe it.

She lied to herself? Are we making things up again?

I mean they didn’t even acknowledge the truth when they were alone with each other. The catalyst for this whole revenge plot, was that she robbed her of her life above ground. Who wouldn’t call her out on that poo poo after everything she put her through? Ohhhh nah I’m just here to give all the tethered a shot at a real life, it’s all good that you ruined MY life. Let’s not even mention that.

Also I’m really jealous of my homeless counterparts amazing life, he deserves to die so I can have his bag of crushed soda cans.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

no we're not making things up. we went over this earlier in the thread it's such a bizarre thing to get hung up on.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

glitchwraith posted:

During the opening Hands Across America ad, you can actually see young Adelaide's reflection in the TV screen, so this is exactly what happened. Thinking about the opening, I think that ad was supposed to parallel the wall of rabbits opening, which would have been what the double was staring at while mimicking Adelaide. I remember thinking that scene went on a little too long for simply setting the mood, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if both lasted the same amount of time.

This was glossed over but it's on point. Someone needs to time these two scenes.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Wax Tadpole posted:

She lied to herself? Are we making things up again?

I mean they didn’t even acknowledge the truth when they were alone with each other. The catalyst for this whole revenge plot, was that she robbed her of her life above ground. Who wouldn’t call her out on that poo poo after everything she put her through? Ohhhh nah I’m just here to give all the tethered a shot at a real life, it’s all good that you ruined MY life. Let’s not even mention that.

Also I’m really jealous of my homeless counterparts amazing life, he deserves to die so I can have his bag of crushed soda cans.

doesn't Red ask Adelaide why she didn't take her with her? She's either knowingly mocking her or she also thinks that Adelaide just met her and left her there.
I was left wondering what Red said Jason. If Red knew they were swapped and told him, or if he was just suspicious of his mom because of how she acted

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Wax Tadpole posted:

she's probably gone a little bit loving insane and her grip on reality isn't exactly the tightest.

also, who the gently caress would believe her? and would it even matter? the family built their life with someone. do you think they will trade her for someone else at this point?

i guess the crux is, let's say she does what you say. then what do you expect to happen?

colachute fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 26, 2019

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

:ssh: The lab is not an actual underground government facility, but a manifestation of personal hell created by the fantasies of a child who watched a lot of movies and TV while her father neglected her. The poo poo she dreams up to explain the hell comes from the VHS tapes. The whole movie is about the fickleness of distinguishing between the haves and have-nots, because for most people, daily existence is an act of trying to avoid a random and terrible event that throws you into poverty and ruins your life.:ssh:

a new study bible! fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I've been trying to think about the significance of all of the VHS tapes on the shelf at the beginning and some are obviously easier than others but i think this:

a new study bible! posted:

:ssh: The lab is not an actual underground government facility, but a manifestation of personal hell created by the fantasies of a child who watched a lot of movies and TV while her father neglected her. The poo poo she dreams up to explain the hell comes from the VHS tapes. The whole movie is about the fickleness of distinguishing between the haves and have-nots, because for most people, daily existence is an act of trying to avoid a random and terrible event that throws you into poverty and ruins your life.:ssh:

is worth thinking about. Perhaps the whole "government run secret program" and classrooms/lab setting is a warped manifestation of The Right Stuff (a movie about a government program that in large strokes would have been similar to whatever program was using that space underground