Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there be a poll?
This poll is closed.
Yes 125 49.02%
No 130 50.98%
Total: 255 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Captain Cappy posted:

I'm tired of sakuga.

Same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/Maaow_Animation/status/1105860542348980224

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It just means animation, friends.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

And Kino means Cinema. Pretty mind blowing huh

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Plutonis posted:

And Kino means Cinema. Pretty mind blowing huh

Seein some sakuga down at the kinoplex ftw.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

big fan of ni no kino

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
more like Suckug--

https://twitter.com/randomsakuga/status/1102524289549561856

ah i see

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I love how that ball and the dude going for the spike both hang in the air long enough for dude to hit the floor, scramble to his feet, and run back onto the court before he actually makes contact

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

aaaaa mob is 13 episodes

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I like how the JoJo ova did jotaro vs dio.....

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Stairmaster posted:

I like how the JoJo ova did jotaro vs dio.....

it's one of my favorite fight scenes ever! i wasn't calling it bad!

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

No sir, don’t like it

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
more like SakuGay (from Mob S2E5)
https://twitter.com/Xenophoss/status/1109834816076152833

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Honestly this episode was completely incomprehensible and probably my least favorite mob episode of them all. I think the solid character animation and camera movement of the rest of the show is miles ahead of what happened in that ep and all the people praising it is an example of why some people are probably disillusioned with the sakugabooru types

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The joke where Mob suddenly becomes buff and pretty was executed insanely well though and made me laugh out really loud though.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah that's totally fair. for me it works because it is this completely abstract setting that I didn't feel I lost much by it going totally wild. i also think it's fitting for 100% Courage to be kind of a beautiful mess, even going back to the very first scene in season 1, things get weird when mob get serious

but yeah if every fight scene looked this, it would be a much weaker show

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I hate to post like this, but afaik it was highlighted for similar reasons as that one Fate/Apocrypha episode; it was a notably large-scale effort that brought together a larger number of animators for one sequence/ep than the rest. Not liking the result is fair but it's understandable why someone would pick that out to write on versus the aspects of Mob that (I assume) are consistently excellent and have probably gotten prior mention. Being "disillusioned" over people getting excited over that is weird when the average sakugablog writer spends most days tweeting about a goofy expression in aikatsu or w/e.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

whats the sakuga meme

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also yeah i don't really get where the whole "disillusionment with sakuga" comes from when stuff like that mob scene just, got basic highlights for a few days? and the majority of what those people talk about is like. amusement over all the animated fate/grand order stuff getting a ton of insanely talented animators who've all played a ton of fgo, including the goofy meme short anime, or the newest season of precure having a neat staff lineup, or detailed articles on the history of prominent female directors

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Glagha posted:

I love how that ball and the dude going for the spike both hang in the air long enough for dude to hit the floor, scramble to his feet, and run back onto the court before he actually makes contact

time works differently during sports

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

My own personal disillusionment comes from seeing a huge focus on the technical side of things and rarely if ever a focus on anything analytical. Which I get isn't the main goal by any means but it does frustrate me all the same.

Although heck I've been disillusioned with the sakuga side of fandom for a long time, ever since The Woman Called Fujiko Mine got a crazy amount of flak from the sakuga crowd while it was airing. Its brilliant direction rarely considered because the animation wasn't as fluid as older Lupin entries.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Srice posted:

My own personal disillusionment comes from seeing a huge focus on the technical side of things and rarely if ever a focus on anything analytical. Which I get isn't the main goal by any means but it does frustrate me all the same.

Although heck I've been disillusioned with the sakuga side of fandom for a long time, ever since The Woman Called Fujiko Mine got a crazy amount of flak from the sakuga crowd while it was airing. Its brilliant direction rarely considered because the animation wasn't as fluid as older Lupin entries.

i mean. what do you mean a focus on the analytical, because the sakugablog people put a ton of focus into explaining the creative intent behind how scenes are put together

i'm not sure if what you're disillusioned with is the people who actually do articles and stuff about this or just random people who are obsessed with how "smooth" animation looks because i don't feel like any of this applies to the people who actually run any of the sites about this

hell they've stuck up for interesting directing choices in animation that some people might consider stiff or limited before

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 25, 2019

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/velahka/status/1110197786446692352?s=21

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Colonel posted:

i mean. what do you mean a focus on the analytical, because the sakugablog people put a ton of focus into explaining the creative intent behind how scenes are put together

i'm not sure if what you're disillusioned with is the people who actually do articles and stuff about this or just random people who are obsessed with how "smooth" animation looks because i don't feel like any of this applies to the people who actually run any of the sites about this

hell they've stuck up for interesting directing choices in animation that some people might consider stiff or limited before

Specifically stuff that digs a 'lil deeper into, say, the direction of a scene, how the choices for it work/don't work, etc, that sorta thing. I feel like stuff like what someone's creative intent was falls more under technical than analytical. But heck I'll readily admit that what I'd prefer is pretty far from the actual scope of what they wanna do, though!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Sakuga and mob s2e5 ftw

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Everything Burrito posted:

time works differently during sports

Sports Fact

Good :kimchi:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I shouldn't have said sakugabooru, since they weren't what I meant. I meant more the culture around sakuga and the intense focus some anime fans have for animation for it's own sake over how it fits into the wider work, or a narrow view of what defines good animation as being smooth. Sakugabooru is just what my brain spit out.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Glagha posted:

same

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Knorth posted:

Sports ftw

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Tobe Fly-y-y! Hi-i-igh!!

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

Tobe Fly-y-y! Hi-i-igh!!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

zenbu zenbu zenbu

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
hi-ka-ri aRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeEEEEEEEEE

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

Honestly this episode was completely incomprehensible and probably my least favorite mob episode of them all. I think the solid character animation and camera movement of the rest of the show is miles ahead of what happened in that ep and all the people praising it is an example of why some people are probably disillusioned with the sakugabooru types
i too am disillusioned when people have different opinions to mine

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

I shouldn't have said sakugabooru, since they weren't what I meant. I meant more the culture around sakuga and the intense focus some anime fans have for animation for it's own sake over how it fits into the wider work, or a narrow view of what defines good animation as being smooth. Sakugabooru is just what my brain spit out.
what if people can appreciate animation for its own sake in terms of how it fits into the wider work tho

like the new mob ep worked really well in the context of the show itself for a lot of people and the animation is a big part of the reason why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
It's missing the INTENSE ANIMAL METAPHORS but the actual video is pretty neat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfMb37KGqdE