Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

strength is stored in the gut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

nooneofconsequence posted:

strength salami is stored in the gut

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

feelix posted:

I don't know anything about this guy and I don't care that he's obviously not natty, all my judgement of him is based on the fact that he filmed himself dressed like a weird yogi set to "Hallelujah" as a way to market a barbell.

Assumed it was the ties to white nationalist groups

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Dum Cumpster posted:

powerlifting!

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Dum Cumpster posted:

Wait what

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Dilber posted:

Wait what

Are you still excited to buy and test out his product?

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

No, we'll probably go with eleiko now. That topic never came up in the seminar my friend went to 5 or 6 years ago but that wasn't at his facility.

I am going down this rabbit hole now.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Dilber posted:

No, we'll probably go with eleiko now. That topic never came up in the seminar my friend went to 5 or 6 years ago but that wasn't at his facility.

I mean, that probably isn't one of the selling points that he used in his PP presentation.
Though with some chuds today you could probably think that would be a bonus not a deal breaker.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Wendler is a shithead chud as well.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

ok, pretend I showed this bar instead:

https://www.eleiko.com/en/p/eleiko-oppen-deadlift-bar/1997#gs.2ftf38

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

feelix posted:

I don't know anything about this guy and I don't care that he's obviously not natty, all my judgement of him is based on the fact that he filmed himself dressed like a weird yogi set to "Hallelujah" as a way to market a barbell.

Ahaha ha I had to go back to see if it was true, but he totally did that

I mean that bar looks cool but I wonder what was going on through his mind “this is a beautiful moment, let’s put some beautiful music”

Mad scientists are crazy in a different way in 2019 apparently

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

The whole internet loves Milkshake Gut, who makes lovely weight equipment

We regret to inform you the Gut is racist

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Wait what’s this about that guy being a racist

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

breaking news, powerlifter is a nazi

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

nooneofconsequence posted:

breaking news, powerlifter is a nazi

I assume most white lifters with a real social media presence are Nazis.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh my god how come nobody told me about how to initiate an overhead press by doing a jerk

This buys me ~15 lbs at least

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Dilber posted:

I'm in the process of opening a gym / physical therapy clinic with my buddy, and I can't wait to get to test this out.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt9MlaChls1/?hl=en

It's similar to the eleiko one, but we like the design better.

cool trap bar

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Oh my god how come nobody told me about how to initiate an overhead press by doing a jerk

You've never seen a push press?

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Data Graham posted:

isnt that a clean and jerk not a clean and press??

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Data Graham posted:

:confused:

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
Are you talking about push press? Or the starting strength hip pop thing?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

*bar folds into a swastika for compact safekeeping*

Hmmm is this guy a racist ?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
A "jerk" is definitely not something you do at the beginning of putting a bar overhead, also oh my god how come nobody told me about how to use a forklift to lift weights

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

*bar folds into a swastika for compact safekeeping*

Hmmm is this guy a racist ?

relax snowflake it's not a big deal

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean, I read the wikipedia page extensively before I posted to make sure I was using the term correctly, so :confused:

I'm doing what it says a "jerk" is to get it over my head, and then I do reps

Whereas before I was just sort of hoisting it off the upper rack and painfully wriggling it up past my chin using the weakest possible parts of my arms

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
The painful wriggling is the exercise that's called "overhead press". There's nothing wrong with using the stretch reflex to do reps of overhead press, but if you want your overhead press to get stronger, and you can't even get it overhead from a dead stop once before you start doing reps, you should probably spend more time doing the painful wriggling part and not adopt a variation that lets you avoid it.

feelix fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 25, 2019

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So what you're telling me is full extension -> chin height -> full extension is stupid and no good

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Data Graham posted:

So what you're telling me is full extension -> chin height -> full extension is stupid and no good

It's fine do whatever you want

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.

Data Graham posted:

I mean, I read the wikipedia page extensively before I posted to make sure I was using the term correctly, so :confused:

I'm doing what it says a "jerk" is to get it over my head, and then I do reps

Whereas before I was just sort of hoisting it off the upper rack and painfully wriggling it up past my chin using the weakest possible parts of my arms

I think they were asking if you do this

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
The strict overhead press isn't a contested lift in any real sport (Mark Rippetoe's strengthlifting isn't a real sport), so it doesn't matter. If your sport is "general fitness" then it probably makes sense to work on your weak points, not avoid them. If your sport is "looking cool and strong" you should also at least do your first rep from a dead stop at the bottom of the movement.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

ElectricSheep posted:

I think they were asking if you do this

Delete the link to that stupid garbage

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Even from a purely straight male-centered perspective, equating lifting weights to "manliness" is loving stupid. It implies that women shouldn't lift weights, which lowers their value as sex objects for straight men in this purely hypothetical thought exercise

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Data Graham posted:

Yeah.

Half-repper.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

feelix posted:

Even from a purely straight male-centered perspective, equating lifting weights to "manliness" is loving stupid. It implies that women shouldn't lift weights, which lowers their value as sex objects for straight men in this purely hypothetical thought exercise

Nothing wrong with a manly woman, mate. It's 2019.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

sassassin posted:

Nothing wrong with a manly woman, mate. It's 2019.

I really don't think that's the thought process behind the titling of "the art of manliness"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

feelix posted:

work on your weak points, not avoid them

I mean yeah, that makes sense. I guess that means kicking down the weight and working on range of motion before creeping back up again, same as I did with bench (and that worked)

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

how much % does a mustache add to 1RM?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

bomb posted:

how much % does a mustache add to 1RM?

0.69%? But only if you don't half rep.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.
you need to properly program your mustache wax application first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

feelix posted:

I really don't think that's the thought process behind the titling of "the art of manliness"

You've got to stop worrying about what the thought process behind stuff might have been and judge a text on its actual merits.

Anyone can be a man now, and Rippetoe's guide can be helpful even if he might not agree with that.