Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
the puppy is on drugs and is slow and not hyper. thank god. She is also up 4 pounds from her last visit so :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
making slow progress, since basically it seems stuck here for the moment, have no good dog wanters lined up so just have to train the poo poo out of it. its slowly picking up the mannerisms of the other dogs, totally crate trained now and doesnt whine. still super curious about the cats but is much slower to actually try to chase em and stops when you tell her to.

yelling fish off the front porch for her to come inside is a silly thing.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

sneakyfrog posted:

making slow progress, since basically it seems stuck here for the moment, have no good dog wanters lined up so just have to train the poo poo out of it. its slowly picking up the mannerisms of the other dogs, totally crate trained now and doesnt whine. still super curious about the cats but is much slower to actually try to chase em and stops when you tell her to.

yelling fish off the front porch for her to come inside is a silly thing.

Just wanted to reiterate how good y'all are for helping that absolute sweetie unit.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Hey all, I know it's been a bit but we have some news!

So Butterscotch went to a different coworker than the first we tried who wasn't a good fit.

He ended up in a home with one of our good friends who had already adopted an obese cat that was on the way to losing weight. Pretty funny right?

Butterscotch is mentoring a big boy named Oreo. And, unlike his old brother, these two are getting along like total best buddies. Our friend said she got them two beds but that they insist on sleeping like this:

This is really awesome to see because even at their best, our boys never got along like this. We're so happy!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Chili posted:

So Butterscotch went to a different coworker than the first we tried who wasn't a good fit.

He ended up in a home with one of our good friends who had already adopted an obese cat that was on the way to losing weight. Pretty funny right?

Butterscotch is mentoring a big boy named Oreo. And, unlike his old brother, these two are getting along like total best buddies. Our friend said she got them two beds but that they insist on sleeping like this:

This is really awesome to see because even at their best, our boys never got along like this. We're so happy!

oh my god it's the best possible result, thank god

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Chili posted:

I am relieved for Butters, but now worried about Monty. Any update concerning homes for him?

Edit: Thank you, please tell us when he gets a good home. He's also a top tier catte.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 23, 2019

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Chaosfeather posted:

I am relieved for Butters, but now worried about Monty. Any update concerning homes for him?

Monty's result was not as easy. We ended up going back to our pals at the MDSPCA and they took him in. The process was relatively painless but still challenging. We've been in touch with them and he's currently in a good foster home and will soon be up for adoption. We actually do have some friends now that have surfaced who may be up for adopting him through their agency. So, not as fun/ideal but still pretty good!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chili posted:

Don't forget to give them the Butterscotch twitter account :colbert:.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Chili posted:

Look at these bubs :3:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Oreo looks like a great cat too. Good match!

Will you still visit Butters?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Chili posted:

Monty's result was not as easy. We ended up going back to our pals at the MDSPCA and they took him in. The process was relatively painless but still challenging. We've been in touch with them and he's currently in a good foster home and will soon be up for adoption. We actually do have some friends now that have surfaced who may be up for adopting him through their agency. So, not as fun/ideal but still pretty good!

This may not be as perfect as the Butterscotch Oreo cat pile up there, but it sounds like Monty's in a good place too. You've done well by your cats and I'm glad to hear things are working out.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
life happens and we all do our best.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Aww Butterscotch found true love :unsmith:

Keeping my fingers crossed for Monty to end up with an equally perfect home.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

This is Sparky.

We're his third home. He was rescued from a hoarding situation, and then the older couple who adopted him after that returned him later "because he's a bad dog." We could piece together what happened there from his behavior: he wouldn't approach anyone from the right side, wouldn't let men touch him at all, and would run and hide if you were wearing "old man clothing" like hats or button-down shirts, or if you told him "come here," or if you held a newspaper that was rolled up at all.

The transformation he's made over the years has been incredible. Starting off biting at me if I put my hand near him when my girlfriend first got him, to now where he'll jump into my lap unprompted and roll over for belly rubs. I can feel the bumps on his belly where his ribs were broken, but it doesn't seem to bother him anymore. He's just happy to be loved.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sparky is an A+ dog. Why doesn’t everyone know that you have to put in work to help pets have good lives?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Chili posted:

Double stuffed.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Chili posted:

Omg, look at those large boys.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Buttersbuddies!

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Checks out. Aww, I'm so happy for Butters to have a friend finally. I'm in a similar situation to Butters and Monty where Sam and Max have... never really bonded like I hoped they would. Ten years and you still never see them on the same piece of furniture let alone cuddling. They're both happy and healthy but Max tends to be queen of the house and will chase Sam off things or hiss at him and take his toys. :catstare:

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Butters looks happy, I'm glad :3: I saw Kitty off a couple weeks ago, she's being doted upon by a sweet old lady who I went to visit last week.

But, uh, thread, I've got another problem, and her name is Tilly.

She's a beautiful terrible sassy anxious gremlin and my heart tells me she needs to be with me, I'm the only one who can treat her right, even though my brain knows that's factually incorrect. She spends all day asleep and all evening demanding my affection. Unlike Kitty she will not be an easy companion; we're her second adopted home after her original owner passed, but she came back into fostering because she bit one of her new owners' ankles.

How do I word the email to the foster coordinator saying 'can you just maybe not look for adopters for a bit while I convince my parents to let me adopt a cat before I move out instead of after'? Alternatively, how do I convince my hopes to stop being raised? Does it feel like this every single time?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
"me want cat, and will pay for cats care"

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

sneakyfrog posted:

"me want cat, and will pay for cats care"

Ah yes, but you see, I am failing morally by wanting to adopt this cat who has been under my care and with whom I have bonded. This is a thought pattern that makes complete sense and is very logical.

(Thank you. I will attempt to overcome anxiety and send the drat email.)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

mycelia posted:

Butters looks happy, I'm glad :3: I saw Kitty off a couple weeks ago, she's being doted upon by a sweet old lady who I went to visit last week.

But, uh, thread, I've got another problem, and her name is Tilly.

That cat is super cute. :kimchi:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Tilly looks like a fantastic gremlin and I wish you many happy years of being complained at. (Also, LOOK AT THAT TAIL :3:)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

mycelia posted:

Ah yes, but you see, I am failing morally by wanting to adopt this cat who has been under my care and with whom I have bonded. This is a thought pattern that makes complete sense and is very logical.

stop thinking logically immediately there is a fuzzball involved

(my advice is bad and you will have a houseful of animals if you follow my advice)

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

You guys are the worst at advice :kimchi:

For your consideration: freckle beans.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:hmmyes:

puppy is "unsupervised"

meaning i have a camera on her as she walks around the first floor. i also can yell and she stops.

blend of animal farm and 1984 up in here right now i think orwell wouldnt mind in this case.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

mycelia posted:

(Thank you. I will attempt to overcome anxiety and send the drat email.)

Foster Failures are Rescue Successes.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I just found another yard kitten.

It looks like it was just born, and there’s no other kittens around it. I’m not sure if that means the mother has abandoned it or not, but I hope she hasn’t.

It’s crying outside my window right now and the sound is absolutely breaking my heart, but I have no formula to feed it with. :( :cry:

I’m afraid to take it to the vet because for all I know the mother might still come back (and because its eyes aren’t open yet and I was always taught never to handle kittens until after their eyes opened). I might at least try to get some formula for it just in case, but I don’t have much money right now and I’ve never bottle-fed a kitten before.

What do? :(

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
get thee to a drugstore/petstore

get some disposable gloves

I don't know what the climate is like but if its cold warm the little babby up, blanket, hot water bottle (warm water) if you are worried about moving it, don't but kitty that little needs to eat, and often.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

I'll leave you all with the recipe we use to help with healthy weight gain. This makes a batch fit for an empty pasta sauce jar.

1/2 cup KMR
1 cup water
1 can A&D wet food
2 egg yolks
You can also add a spoonful of baby food, but not all kittens like it.

Place all ingredients in jar, using funnel not to spill the KMR, and mix with fork to get the worst lumps out. Put lid on jar and shake like hell. There will be lumps still, but with time they dissolve. Syringe feed every 3-6 hours, depending on size and health. Scale to fit containers you have as long as the water : KMR ratio remains 2 : 1.

get them superhero tights on yo.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

^^^ Can I feed that to a kitten that was born possibly less than an hour ago?

sneakyfrog posted:

get thee to a drugstore/petstore

get some disposable gloves

I don't know what the climate is like but if its cold warm the little babby up, blanket, hot water bottle (warm water) if you are worried about moving it, don't but kitty that little needs to eat, and often.

It’s pretty warm out right now. I think the temperature is in the low 70°s or high 60°s at the moment.

I’ve already picked it up a little bit, but only to lift it out of the pile of leaves and dirt in the overturned plastic planter I found it in/under/next to. It was pretty decently hidden there, which I take to mean the mother may’ve hid it there either for protection, or to keep us from finding and saving it because she abandoned it and wanted it to die.

Again, I know nothing whatsoever about bottle-feeding newborn kittens, so what is this warm water bottle business?

The crying outside my window is starting to subside, which I hope does not mean I’m gonna go outside to find a dead kitten. :ohdear:

sneakyfrog posted:

moms gonna be hungry and thirsty and chances are you have yourself a kitten nest in your storage room. if this same cat keeps breeding you might want to see if there is a local organization that does spay and release for ferals. or you are going to be an eternal kitton host.

I didn’t reply to this post earlier, but we did actually look into this awhile back. Unfortunately there’s no free spay/neuter or TNR programs within at least a 2-hour radius of me* because I live in a country redneck shithole, and the few “low cost” options I found would cost us several hundred dollars to fix all of the cats in my yard. :(

I’ve been told I should call some of the places I did find to see if they can offer us a deal due to our situation. I still need to do this.

* There is technically one free spay/neuter program, but only if you can show physical proof that you live below the poverty line, which I (un)fortunately do not.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 27, 2019

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
warm water bottle is to keep it warm if it was cold. on a kitten that young you are going to be using a syringe or eyedropper with that mix I reposted. at this point though I would just do the kitten milk replacer

https://www.amazon.com/KMR%AE-Powder-Kittens-Cats-12oz/dp/B0002ASS0M

similar to this most every pet store and some drug stores will have it.

feed every 2-3 hours. if the queen doesn't show up very soon id get on that. kittens nurse a lot.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Welp guess I better start makin’ some phone calls.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
or just toss it in a shoebox with a towel and take it with you to a pet store/vet . if its been longer than a few hours since you saw momcat a couple more wont hurt as long as it starts eating.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
For reference, a normal body temp for a cat is about 102F, and young kittens can't maintain this body temp for long on their own. Normally they'd snuggle next to Mom and/or littermates for warmth, but a solo kitten needs something that's about their body temp next to them so they don't get hypothermia.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
The unfortunate, tough advice is that the majority of the time, leaving kittens be gives them their best chance. What you're doing now makes sense, give the kitten some space, mama may/is-likely-to show up. But yeah, if you monitor the situation and aren't seeing any sign of her, then go git dat kitteh.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Update: Just took the kitten to the vet for a checkup and feeding.

- Kitten appears to be fine and healthy
- Kitten is female
- Kitten is about 2 days old

We just put out food for the rest of the cats in our garage, which is where they all gather to eat twice a day. We put the kitten out there too because the mom is certain to see her when she comes to eat. If the kitten hasn’t been claimed after about an hour and a half, then...... I guess I’m just gonna have to bottle-feed it myself for the next five weeks, although that’s really not a prospect I like since I’m unemployed and trying to find a full time job at the moment, plus all the waking up at night to feed it and wipe its bungholes. But I’ll feel like poo poo if I don’t, so :smith:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
one of us, one of us

you get supplies and stuff just in case?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I got a day’s worth of pre-mixed formula, a bottle, and a couple of eye-dropper syringes. If the mom doesn’t come back I’ll have to buy some powdered formula tomorrow.

I really hope the mom comes back. I’m loving terrified right now.

EDIT: God I can still hear it mewing out there. Hopefully Mom will take it, it’s only been there for about half an hour and I can’t go back out there until then because I’ll scare Mom off if I do.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I. M. Gei posted:

I got a day’s worth of pre-mixed formula, a bottle, and a couple of eye-dropper syringes. If the mom doesn’t come back I’ll have to buy some powdered formula tomorrow.

I really hope the mom comes back. I’m loving terrified right now.

EDIT: God I can still hear it mewing out there. Hopefully Mom will take it, it’s only been there for about half an hour and I can’t go back out there until then because I’ll scare Mom off if I do.

You're a good person.